Start by marking “A Lasting Promise: A Christian Guide to Fighting for Your Marriage” as Want to Read:
A Lasting Promise: A Christian Guide to Fighting for Your Marriage

A Lasting Promise: A Christian Guide to Fighting for Your Marriage

Build a Marriage of Lasting Love

Finally a practical, easy-to-read book that deals with real marital issues from a Christian perspective! Soundly based on both biblical principles and marital research, A Lasting Promise is a must read for any couple who wants to upgrade their marriage and make it a promise for life!
--David and Claudia Arp, authors of The Second Half of
Published April 15th 1998 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about A Lasting Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lasting Promise

Reid
Oct 28, 2008 Reid rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people struggling with communicating
Recommended to Reid by: my wife
This book is based on the premise that negative communication erodes trust in marriage and often leads to divorce.

The claim is made that one's chances of longterm marriage can be assessed, up to 90% accuracy, based on HOW A COUPLE RESOLVES CONFLICT.

I give this the highest rating because my wife and I have applied these communication principles for the last 7 years and it has revived our marriage.

We now have an agreed-upon plan to communicate. This has been one of the best things that has happen
Gabriele
Sep 08, 2013 Gabriele rated it it was amazing
Don't be fooled by this somewhat cheesy photo and outdated cover-- this book is fantastic. Although it is written from a Christian perspective it can be used an applied by anyone. It has sound scientific studies which support its methods. This is an in-depth workbook that offers powerful tools and clear descriptions on how to communicate and improve your marriage. We were blessed enough to work through it with another mentor couple and found their insights and personal examples of it helping the ...more
Elizabeth Knaus
Aug 28, 2016 Elizabeth Knaus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Down to earth with a connection to the Word

The book is easy to read with scripture references to establish Christian credibility. Pastors could recommend this to couples who ask for marriage help or use it as a counseling tool; or a practical anniversary gift for your spouse (along with tickets to a fun event or some fresh flowers).
Amanda
Jan 25, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I can't recommend this highly enough for married or engaged couples. There is a lot of emphasis on preventing problems as well as working through them and specific, step-by-step instructions for improving discussions. Excellent.
Ginta
Sep 07, 2011 Ginta rated it it was amazing
I believe this book to be one of the best "how to" books on communications I have ever read. The reading is easy and yet the principles discussed are incredibly deep. I have recommend it to all my friends and to everybody I know.
Marci
Aug 27, 2007 Marci rated it really liked it
Out of all the marriage books I poured through during engagement, by far the most practical one for learning to see your own prejudices and bad habits, learning to fight fair and honor your mate. Great book.
Nina Mcdaniel
Oct 17, 2013 Nina Mcdaniel rated it really liked it
I agree with the comments that say don't be fooled by the cheesy cover! This book is a concise summary of much of my grad school reading, and it's full of research-based concepts.
Jonasanddelice
Aug 21, 2013 Jonasanddelice rated it it was amazing
The one marriage book we recommend. Seriously amazing. Written by professional therapists and based on research, not overly spiritualized, yet firmly rooted in Jesus. Just awesome.
Rachel
Mar 24, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This was part of my marriage and family class at Asbury Seminary. What a fantastic book. I want to read it again- let a student from the college borrow it and never got it back.
Lauren
May 15, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing
A great follow-up to Fighting for Your Marriage. Good review. I like how it ties in Christian concepts but remains research based.
Mar 11, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Some really great principles hidden in some really cheesy writing. But worth the read.
Tim
Dec 08, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
Great book covering themes of strengthening marriage
Callie
Mar 12, 2008 Callie rated it liked it
Textbook for class.
Nathan
Mar 10, 2009 Nathan added it
for class.
Char Maine
Char Maine rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2016
Traci Koning
Traci Koning rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Margarita
Margarita marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Arthi
Arthi marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Tovey
Tovey is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2016
Debra Endo
Debra Endo rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
LeeAnn
LeeAnn rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Michelle Luplow
Michelle Luplow marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Deb Girard
Deb Girard marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Danielle Kirkness
Danielle Kirkness marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
David
David is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2016
Isaac
Isaac added it
Jul 14, 2016
Sherry Sandwick shaw
Sherry Sandwick shaw rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Brandon Veazey
Brandon Veazey is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2016
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • Intended for Pleasure: Sex Technique and Sexual Fulfillment in Christian Marriage
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • Letters to Philip
  • A Celebration Of Sex: A Guide to Enjoying God's Gift of Sexual Intimacy
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • What Wives Wish Their Husbands Knew about Women
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • The Cross and Salvation: The Doctrine of Salvation