Start by marking “Crime” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating Details ·  2,969 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews
Now bereft of both youth and ambition, Detective Inspector Ray Lennox is recovering from a mental breakdown induced by occupational stress and cocaine abuse, and a particularly horrifying child sex murder case back in Edinburgh. On vacation in Florida, his fiancée Trudi is only interested in planning their forthcoming wedding, and a bitter argument sees a deranged Lennox c ...more
Published July 3rd 2008 by Jonathan Cape

João Carlos

Mark Todd (The New York Times)

A narrativa de “Crime” começa num voo para Miami com o detective escocês Ray Lennox a viajar com a sua namorada Trudi, em busca de uma férias retemperadoras na Flórida e a planear a festa do seu casamento.
Ray Lennox é um detective em “fuga” para tentar recuperar de um colapso mental induzido pelo stress, pelo consumo de cocaína e pelo abuso do álcool, fomentado por um caso de assassinato de crianças em Edimburgo.
Mas o sofrimento de Ray é ampliado pela luminosidade
Stephan van der Linde
Ray Lennox, a character in one of my favourite novels 'Filth' is starring in Crime. Lennox is a cop, and is heading off to Miami to prepare his wedding.

Tired with his nagging-too posh girl, cold turkey from the booze, Ray is already bored in the plane.

Ray on antidepressiva, is soon starting to arguing with his to-be wife. He visits a friend to get some distraction. This friend asks him to visit a friend of his.

But here starts the trouble. "That friend" is an addict-prostitue with a 10 year old
Jaslo
Aug 30, 2008 Jaslo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment.
Seriously, I am upset.

It's not just the American setting...and the cynical, cruel, unfriendly gaze on American culture (which I could understand.) It's a claustrophobia in the story-- that makes me itch to escape and throw away the book. I felt like the writer wasn't having fun and I certaintly wasn't. I LOVE Irvine but this was not pleasant. It felt systematic, unfeeling and WEIRD.
His craft was in jumbles and tumbles. He switches point of view without cause- confusing me.
Manab
Feb 17, 2017 Manab rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ভালো বই না। আমি কাউরেই সুপারিশ করবো না।
বিষয়বসতু খারাপ না, সবীকার করতে বাঁধা নাই। সকটিশ এক কোকেনখোর পুলিশ আমেরিকার রাসতায় এক মেয়েকে বাঁচানোর চেষটা করে যাচছে এক দঙগল পেডোফাইলের হাত থেকে। সমসযার সূতরপাত কোথায় তাহলে? হয়ত সকটিশ আর কোকেন, এই দুই পরসঙগ বাদ দিলে এই ধরনের লেখালেখি আরভিন ওয়েলশের হাতে ভালো আসে না, আমি এর আগে তাঁর টরেইনসপটিং পড়ছিলাম, সিনেমাটা দেখছিলাম, আর দেখছিলাম ঐ ফিলথ সিনেমাটা। নেশাগরসত বরণনা তাঁর হাতে যেভাবে খেলে, থরিলার, বা মোরাল পলে তার হাতে সেভাবে জমে উঠতে দেখা গেলো না। একজন মোটামুটি
Prakriti
Dec 07, 2011 Prakriti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was going through a breakup (which I had initiated) when I picked this book up. There was a lot of guilt inside me, a lot of anger at the girl, a continuous feeling of nausea, and an inability to understand why am I feeling like this.

Welsh's protagonist, Detective Inspector Ray Lennox showcases this extreme claustrophobia in a crazed stream of consciousness narrative. Sometimes like Marv (from Sin City). It does take some getting used to, but while I was reading it (I savored it for well over
Ian Mapp
Feb 02, 2009 Ian Mapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does Welsh ever disappoint. I think the worst reviews I saw for him were for Filth (which I loved) and this is a follow on of sorts with Ray Lennox given a much bigger role in this, which is an attempt at genre fiction.

The thing that stands this book above other UK crime novels (and I include Rankin, Robinson, Harvey, James and Booth in this list) is the excellent characterisation.

Lennox is a man barely hanging it together. Unlike other leading crime fighters - the effects of dealing with a horr
James Barker
Nov 02, 2014 James Barker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gb
Clearly 'Crime' was a bad choice as my first dip into Irvine Welsh's work. Characters, plot, writing style... all are poor. And he really needs to stay away from similes. His use of them was the crime that affected me the most.

David
Oct 16, 2012 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Irvine Welsh, known best for his druggy humour, scatological bent and the gruff pub vernacular of his characters, plays it amazingly straight and close to the vest here. So close and earnest, in fact, that you can hardly believe you’re reading Welsh.

Divested of his gnarled brogue and cleaving to genre boilerplate, however, Welsh can also be stultifyingly bland.

Police officer Ray Lennox (a character who makes an appearance in earlier novel Filth) is on mental health leave in Miami with his fianc
Muthulakshmi
Mar 13, 2015 Muthulakshmi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't write an honest review for this book without mentioning that this is by far the most disturbing work of literature I've ever read. Seriously, I read Guts by Palahniuk and didn't give a fuck.

Lolita explores pedophilia through the eyes of a man impossibly in love with a young girl. It talks volumes about love and how it can render you helpless to a point of self-destruction. But Crime is different. Crime is the one part of human nature that we all refuse to talk about. The part that is bu
JK
Jul 29, 2015 JK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Irvine Welsh novel is just as gritty and harrowing as the rest of them. It's extremely dark, at times a lot darker than Welsh's other novels. It's also very obviously well-researched, tackling the difficult issue of child abuse.

I feel like Welsh has attempted to break a few boundaries with Crime. His novels are usually set in Scotland, particularly Edinburgh, but this time he takes us over to Miami, Florida, and unravels his story across the pond.

The characters are strikingly realistic, an
Andy Mcgrath
Fairly predictable plot but very well told. Some good minor unexpected deviations in the plot and Welsh's style make it a worth while yarn.
Logan
Jun 23, 2015 Logan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm fine with stories that hit just one note. But I think those stories should probably not go on for too long. And, for the first 125 or 150 pages or so of this 340 page book, I was engaged and involved. However, it dragged and dragged and it really never became something it hadn't already been on page one. I had kept reading, expecting there was going to be some kind of reveal/twist as to why it kept going on in the same fashion--that of disturbed cop disturbed by sex crimes against children b ...more
Dane Cobain
Jun 27, 2016 Dane Cobain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crime is another one of those not-so-rare Irvine Welsh books that’s just an excellent read, despite his unorthodox approach to spelling, grammar and punctuation. Welsh is never exactly easy to read, but I think that here, he’s at his most lucid, and the story line is easy for anyone to follow. Put simply, Detective Inspector Ray Lennox is on holiday in Florida, trying to take a rest and recouperation break from a child abuse case which threatened to derail his sanity. Unfortunately, things are n ...more
Jim
Jul 09, 2008 Jim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes over-rated fiction
Recommended to Jim by: A mortal enemy
Truly dreadful! If you're expecting the brilliance of Trainspotting, forget it. It was more like a really bad parody of Ian Rankin.

DI Ray Lennox from Edinburgh goes on holiday to Miami with his fiancee Trudi. Lennox is emotionally shredded by his failure to save a young girl from a paedophile and, like most of Welsh's characters, Lennox is on the booze and drugs. Lennox fights with Trudi, who is intent on marriage. Eventually he gets involved with a young girl being menaced by paedophiles and h
Bryan Wood
This was the 2nd Irvine Welsh book that I had read which I thought was perfect being that it is the sudo-sequel to Irvine Welsh's Filth. I enjoyed this book but it wasn't what I was expecting. After reading Filth, I expected Crime to be, well... filthy. This book was PG-13 compared to Filth, which was shocking and somewhat disappointing due to my high expectations. But at the same time, I wasn't entirely sure how this book would compare to Filth. Reading Filth, you found out Ray Lennox (the main ...more
Demetrelli
Aug 21, 2011 Demetrelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was a change from the type of books I normally read and I can't say I regret it.
Initially I thought it'd be the typical cop-goes-on-holidays-and-stumbles-onto-horrible-crime and I might say I was rather disappointed since the main character, Ray Lenox, seemed follow the tormented lonely cop stereotype. As the story evolves though, it really delves into the deeper darker corners of the human (adult and childrens' alike) psyche, showing you surprising -and perhaps for some readers disturb
Kaita
Feb 23, 2017 Kaita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Alright.

2/5

Apart from the odd okay quote, which are few and far between, this book really isn't that enjoyable. And it's not because it's almost exclusively about pedophilia.
I've realized something about Irvine Welsh. He has two types of stories. He has the believable ones that are firmly rooted in a realistic world with realistic reactions and consequences. I love these stories of his. Then he has a second type, which are similar to the other category, but are a little... they swim in falseho
Patricio
Nov 07, 2016 Patricio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anagrama
4.5 de calificación, igual que con Filth (Escoria), no me terminó de llenar lo suficiente para ser un 5 estrellas, es muy raro, quiero darle 5 estrellas a ambos pero con ambos siento que faltó o falló algo para llegar a esa calificación.

Anyway, es un gran libro, lo leí en tres días por eso mismo, algunos lo ponen como secuela a Filth (Escoria) pero yo no lo veo así, es parecido y está relacionado, sin embargo esta es la historia de Ray Lennox; Bruce Robertson es mencionado y el elenco de Filth (
Eddie Nimmo
I've only given this 3 stars, which is a shame because I usually love Irvine Welsh's books. I had high hopes for the main protagonist having found him a cool and interesting character sort of on the fringes in the last book "Filth". I also really enjoy the American crossover thing Welsh has done in his other books. But perhaps dealing with such a serious subject something was lost in the books execution. Still felt like a Welsh book so well worth a read.
M. Christine
Dec 14, 2016 M. Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started this novel with some vague reluctance, I think because of the horrifying subject matter of sexual abuse of children. But it took off with precise words and fine page-turning pacing. Great, satisfying end that is hopeful but not sappy. Gritty Miami sleazy setting, vivid characters, and a flawed and damaged hero whose antics might give you a hangover.
Iain James
Jan 09, 2017 Iain James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book. Seems unfair to compare it to it's predecessor, as this could have easily been a standalone novel. Written in a less frantic narrative than 'Filth', 'Crime' is a gripping and un-nerving thriller that easily carries its own.
Mark Anderss
This book was a little disappointing, to be honest. I have never given an Irvine Welsh book less than 4 starts (and most were 5).
It just doesn't have a particular exciting or compelling story to it.
I'm not saying it's bad novel because it is not.
Certainly worth reading if you are a fan of the author.

Overall I'd describe Crime as "Mediochre".
tartaruga fechada
Ray
Irvine Welsh is, of course, after all these years still most famous for Trainspotting. Even after a prolific career and further films, he might never live that down (or rather, live up to it). Yet one can tell the author doesn't wish to be a one-trick pony (or one-hit wonder, take your pick of metaphors).

Among his many subsequent novels include Filth -- also recently made into a film -- about a disgusting corrupt police officer. That is, a 'polis'. The novel is truly amazing. The film, well, let
Jordi  Artigues
Dec 17, 2016 Jordi Artigues rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reseña en Vagando por Urano

Ivona
Oct 29, 2009 Ivona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read it before sleep, you can lull yourself into nightmares....

In Crime, Irvine Welsh, returns as avenging angel of victims,and
as in "Fortune's Always Hiding" and "Marabou Stork's" ... plunges
into the depths of human nightmares. While in those two you will
never awaken from them, in "Crime" you just might...
This time , not everyone, from abuser and victim and victim seeking
revenge, descends unstoppably towards the dark and bitter ending,
beyond realization, salvation or redemption.
Fiona Van
Jun 03, 2010 Fiona Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew Irvine Walsh from Trainspotting, which I found fascinating but literally unreadable, although I admired, if disliked, the film.

I tried this book because, leafinng through it there was less violent, foul-mouthed dialogue and less vicious violence.
I didn't like the book, but I think it is well written, powerful and disturbing and that it lives up to the statement on the blurb that it is "A novel about the corruption and abuse of the human soul and the possibilties of redemption."

The hero, D
Chiaralletti
Ci ho messo un po' a metabolizzarlo, perché in effetti il tema è pesante. La bambinetta (anzi, la bamboccina) di sì e no 10 anni che oggi al supermercato si atteggiava a starlette con le ghirlande natalizie al collo l'ho guardata in modo diverso dal solito: mi ha pure un po' preso male. Così come mi ha preso male leggere il libro in certi passaggi, anche se la lettura la merita. Sicuramente mi ha fatto venir voglia di non fare figlie femmine...

Allora, ricomincio da capo:
Non è il solito Welsh:
Ubik 2.0
Dangerous Liaisons – in viaggio con la bambina

Un Welsh decisamente anomalo rispetto ai suoi classici edimburghesi: non solo perché la vicenda, pur avendo un protagonista originario della città scozzese, si svolge interamente in Florida, ma soprattutto perché Welsh affronta il genere thriller per la prima volta in carriera, che io sappia, e lo fa scegliendo il tema particolare dell’abuso sui minori, non semplice da gestire senza scadere nel truculento o nel mieloso.

“Crime” è anche un thriller ano
Sam
May 28, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Crime' is the first Irvine Welsh book that actually made me feel uncomfortable. Perhaps that says more about me than it does his books (after all they are renowned for their brutality and general debauchery). Previous books tackled disturbing subject matters but never lost the sense that it was entertainment, designed to titillate as much as disgust. The subject matter of this book however is a bridge too far and Welsh, rightly, makes it clear that we are meant to derive no pleasure from this. ...more
  • Children of Albion Rovers
  • Deadkidsongs
  • Human Punk
  • Death Of A Ladies' Man
  • Mijn haar is lang
  • Glasgow Kiss
  • Fantasy Heights, Season One
  • The Granta Book of the American Short Story
  • Archive 17 (Inspector Pekkala #3)
  • The Willow Tree
  • Milagrário Pessoal
  • Red Ribbons (Dr. Kate Pearson, #1)
  • Il castello di Eymerich
  • Trainspotting: A Screenplay (Based on the Novel by Irvine Welsh)
  • Dog Eat Dog
  • In the Eyes of Mr Fury
  • The Americans 1 (Kent Family Chronicles, #8)
  • Gold Rush
Probably most famous for his gritty depiction of a gang of Scottish Heroin addicts, Trainspotting, Welsh focuses on the darker side of human nature and drug use. All of his novels are set in his native Scotland and filled with anti-heroes, small time crooks and hooligans. Welsh manages, however to imbue these characters with a sad humanity that makes them likable despite their obvious scumbaggerry ...more
More about Irvine Welsh...