Start by marking “Ruthless (Scott & Bailey 3)” as Want to Read:
Ruthless (Scott & Bailey 3)

Ruthless (Scott & Bailey #3)

A blaze at an abandoned chapel on the impoverished Walton Estate turns out to be more than just arson when the body of a man who has been shot twice is discovered in the ashes. For the Manchester Metropolitan police team it's the start of a gruelling and complex case that exposes the fractures and fault lines of a community living on the edge.

DC Rachel Bailey, recently m

Published October 9th 2014 by Transworld Digital

To ask other readers questions about Ruthless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruthless

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
It's no secret that I am a fan of all of Cath Staincliffe's books, and really love the Scott & Bailey series. It's so incredible that the books do really reflect the successful TV series so well. As I read the books I can picture the characters I love from the show and hear their voices. And I love the cover of this one..

This is the third book in the S&B series, again featuring the three strong female characters I love. I did find that I was not as totally hooked in to this one as I have
Isabelle
Mar 15, 2016 Isabelle rated it liked it
Like a really, really dire fanfic but with less Julie Dodson in it. was going to give it two stars but elevated to three purely because of this Divine line: ‘the door flew open and there stood Godzilla, a raptor waiting to pounce’. Hashtag aesthetic.
Cheryl M-M
Oct 10, 2014 Cheryl M-M rated it it was amazing
You don't often get books turned into TV series that stick more or less precisely to the written word.Staincliffe writes the way it would look if given to a screenplay writer, which saves and passes a particular element in her writing onto the screen.

The focus is on the interview techniques, securing a confession and in doing so being able to charge the perpetrator with the crime. Staincliffe has created a fierce trio of female police officers, who are bound together by gender, loyalty, leadersh
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
Gritty, fast paced…excellent.

Cath Staincliffe writes a brilliant film for your mind’s eye. I love the way I could “watch” all the drama unfold, the action play out, the characters interact as this police procedural unfolds to its climatic end. I loved the strong gutsy female protagonists - Rachel, Jane and Gill – all at different stages in their lives, marriages and careers, all with their own private dilemma’s to deal with whilst actively pursuing a ruthless murderer; this is as real as
Shaun
Oct 02, 2014 Shaun rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2014
I'm not usually a fan of TV tie-in books but as a massive fan of Scott & Bailey and given the fact Cath Staincliffe is a very talented writer I couldn't resist this series and think it's been fantastic so far. Book three especially was an enjoyable read and I'm loving reading more about Rachel, Janet and Gill outside of the TV show and being able to picture Suranne and Lesley in the role who are just fantastic actresses.

The book does read pretty much like a TV show but given the written form
Susan
Oct 29, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
Loved Ruthless by Cath Staincliffe - the 3rd novel in the tv tie-in Scott and Bailey series. I've read her two previous novels Dead to Me and Bleed Like Me and Ruthless is an excellent concluding novel. What I most enjoyed in this book was the balance between work and personal lives of not only Scott and Bailey themselves but also Gill Murray and lesser characters since as Sharon, Rachel's mother, Dorothy and Aid - Janet's mother and husband. As these characters are also featured in the tv ...more
Deanne
Feb 22, 2015 Deanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
Have to admit that whilst I like Janet, I do find that Rachel gets on my nerves. It does surprise me the number of times she gets herself in awkward positions and still survives.
However as to the book it starts with a fire in an old chapel, and with a series of twists which keeps you wondering what is going on it finishes with a dramatic scene.
There are also other plots for each of the women in the book, Janet, Rachel and Gill.
Sandra
Jan 03, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it
This the third Scott and Bailey I've read and the first since watching the TV series, which made a difference. Not entirely beneficial: although the characters perfectly fitted their dialogue in the book it did feel as though dialogue overwhelmed/was disproportionate to the rest of it; something not previously noticed.
Doesn't detract from Cath Staincliffe's skill as writer, but from the book as a whole, a little.
Mel
Aug 22, 2016 Mel rated it liked it
Janet and Rachel are opposites in a lot of ways, but great co-workers and able to draw on each others strengths for murder investigations. I enjoyed learning even more about their lives outside of the job especially as neither has a perfect family life. I was surprised by the ending, but not that Janet and Rachel captured the killer.
Stevie Carroll
Oct 16, 2016 Stevie Carroll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again this feels very much like an episode from the series. All the characters are instantly recognisable, and we get to learn far more on the page about what they think of each other and their respective families than can ever be conveyed n the screen.
Tara Russell
Apr 18, 2015 Tara Russell rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, crime
Good fast paced plot but it's the characterisation I liked most about this; Staincliffe excels in real human characters who find themselves in a variety of difficult personal situations in addition to their work stresses.
Sandra Shannon
Jan 05, 2015 Sandra Shannon rated it it was amazing
Third book in the series, I really enjoy the main characters, getting to know more about their private lives. In this book the team is dealing with three murders and dealing with a criminal element who has no respect for the law or themselves.
Louise
Nov 13, 2014 Louise rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. First Scott and Bailey book I've read, and even though this is the most recent, I'm going to go back and read the earlier ones too.
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Miss M
Miss M rated it liked it
May 16, 2015
Ellen Barnes
Ellen Barnes rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Sheila Khan
Sheila Khan rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Trina Hollis
Trina Hollis rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015
Susan Gaston
Susan Gaston rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Jan Saxon
Jan Saxon rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Briar
Briar rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Diane McGlynn
Diane McGlynn rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Linda Bryant
Linda Bryant rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Tracey Austin
Apr 25, 2016 Tracey Austin rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book as well as the first two .. just wish there were more in this series
Ashling
Ashling rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Nicki
Nicki rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Barkent
Barkent rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cath Staincliffe is a best selling, award winning novelist, radio playwright and the creator of ITV's hit series, Blue Murder, starring Caroline Quentin as DCI Janine Lewis. Cath's books have been short-listed for the British Crime Writers Association best first novel award and for the Dagger in the Library and selected as Le Masque de l'Année. In 2012 Cath was joint winner of the CWA Short Story ...more
More about Cath Staincliffe...

Scott & Bailey (3 books)
  • Dead to Me (Scott & Bailey, #1)
  • Bleed Like Me (Scott & Bailey, #2)