Start by marking “The Predator” as Want to Read:
The Predator

The Predator

Ruthless, selfish, dangerous. In fact, just right for the job.

At top investment bank Bloomfield Weiss, they taught them to be winners, predators, killer deal-makers.

On the bank's training programme in New York, Chris and Lenka had become part of a close-knit gang of ambitious trainees, working and playing hard. But when a failed affair sparked a confrontation during a dr
Published May 8th 2014 (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Predator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Predator

Armin Hennig
Fünfter Streich des Börsen-Grisham, der diesem Etikett in diesem Buch vollkommen gerecht wird. Das Programm, eine Art 10 Kleine Negerlein unter den Trainées von Bloomfield-Weiss ist formal sogar gelungener als der Marktmacher, allerdings mit einem Helden ohne die Ecken und Kanten und relativ frei von der Faszination des Handels. Die Adrenalinorgien vor dem Terminal bleiben aus. So rasch es sich auch runterlesen ließ, desto klarer wurde mir, um wie viel besser der Marktmacher war, auch wenn man ...more
 Northern Light
Sep 18, 2016 Northern Light rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, e-books
Chris and Lenka met when they were both trainees with Bloomfield Weiss and now run their own company. When Lenka is murdered it seems to link back to a tragic accident on board a boat when they were trainees many years ago. What did really happen on the boat and who seems determined to kill everyone who was there?

This book invites you into the world of high finance with everyone at pains to be the most ruthless and feared investment banker. Taking us from London to Prague and back to New York it
Leah Speller
Sep 04, 2015 Leah Speller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Wow, this was a great mystery. It was the first mystery where you learned the dreadful who done it along with the main character of the book.

The author truly invites you into their slice of life, not only to look but to sit down in their favorite chair to curl up in. I am afraid of saying too much more for I do not wish to spoil the story for any one. But there is one thing for sure. I have a new mystery author that I will be encouraged to read more of.

I hope you will enjoy as much as I have.
Carol Stevenson
Aug 03, 2015 Carol Stevenson rated it it was amazing
A well-plotted thriller

The problem with most thrillers is that either the characters are wrong or the plot isn't believable. This book is not that way. Regardless of what you might think about investment bankers, the plot turns out to be a page turner and the characters are acceptably good. There are places that could be nitpicked but it is so much better than the run of the mill fare, that it merits praise. So if you want a good read, you have come to the right place...
Chris Steeden
Jul 19, 2016 Chris Steeden rated it liked it
Another solid whodunnit from Ridpath. You know what you're getting with these novels. Nothing fancy and the protagonist is always the same person with a different name. They are a likeable and good person even though they are in the financial services industry to make a lot of money. Yes it's all a bit of escapism and the endings can be a little OTT but for some summer reading with brain dis-engaged they are always fun.
TJKeeven
Sep 03, 2015 TJKeeven rated it really liked it
Great story of international murders and friends suspecting each other.

Great story and plot, interesting and believable character's. Reason I am giving only four stars is beginning seemed to be slow and a little confusing, took me awhile to understand storyline. Overall was entertaining and I enjoyed it.
Mike
Aug 02, 2011 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believable picture of modern materialistically-oriented investment bankers/bond traders (author was one in the nineties) but predicated on a slightly unbelievable threat to villain. He really needed to do nothing but deny. A pacey enough read.
Tulay
Aug 07, 2015 Tulay rated it liked it
Well written story.

Determined to succeed no matter the cost, ambitious traders. One with big plans for his future to become president. Euro bond markets, suspense and romance. Murders in USA and overseas. Remember to dial 999 not 911 in England.
Uma Aiyer
Sep 17, 2015 Uma Aiyer rated it liked it
Interesting way to incorporate finance into yet another murder mystery. But I think this was slightly sub par compared to Ridpath's other book Marketmaker.
We never really got to know Lenka's back story or Eric's for that matter... They would have made the story deeper and more meaningful.
Les
Jan 21, 2016 Les rated it liked it
Enjoyable enough thriller. I couldn't connect with any of the characters mind you, perhaps maybe that's because Investment bankers are not the most "likeable" of characters (apologies to any investment bankers reading this)
louise murguia
Dec 17, 2015 louise murguia rated it it was amazing
Today's Headlines

Another book difficult to put down.. I don't think I would be surprised to see a story similar to this in a daily newspaper. It seems to be believable. Another hit for this author.

Bev Taylor
Mar 17, 2014 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ruthkess, selfish, dangerous. in fact, just right for the job ....

recognise this description? yes, city traders who work hard and play hard

h/w they r willing to do anything to secure their ambitions - and believe it or not, this is not always about money

a good read

bev
Carolyn Dewalt
Sep 30, 2015 Carolyn Dewalt rated it really liked it
I liked even though

Most of the financial parts were foreign to me. The guts of the story did not actually relate to the world of finance and I enjoyed the storyline.
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Sep 15, 2015 Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin rated it really liked it
A keeper

Thriller right to the end. The characters were developed through the entire story, there was intensity and intrigue. I will read more of this author.
charlotte a pals
Aug 10, 2015 charlotte a pals rated it did not like it
Cap

Boring, was wondering when there was going to be a point that the author was trying to get to. Would not recommend.
Tom Heitz
May 06, 2016 Tom Heitz rated it it was ok
Worst ending ever

Really enjoyed the book until it ended leaving a lot of unanswered questions. If leading to a sequel it did a bad job of whetting appetite for the next one
Chaitalee Ghosalkar
Oct 01, 2015 Chaitalee Ghosalkar rated it liked it
An engrossing read that makes you vacillate when it comes to pointing out towards the real culprit.

The end could have been more thrilling; it tends to fall flat.
Ken Fredette
Apr 23, 2013 Ken Fredette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave the Predator only 4 stars for going back and forth 10 years. It was a good book but that 10 year difference somehow bugged me.
David Wright
Feb 20, 2016 David Wright rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful.

What began as a somewhat unexciting story developed rather quickly into an intriguing and suspenseful ending. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jeanne Mahan
Aug 27, 2015 Jeanne Mahan rated it it was amazing
Damon good read

Well written, keeps the reader engrossed. Characters are well developed with strong personalities. Author has done his research in the field of finance.
Πάνος Τουρλής
Συναρπαστικό Μπελ. Αν και πρέπει να έχεις οικονομικοτεχνικούς όρους στο μυαλό σου για να εντρυφήσεις. Θριλεράκι από τα καλά.

Στα ελληνικά από τις εκδόσεις Bell το 2003.
Beth
Aug 20, 2015 Beth rated it liked it
A story based on a group of people and what happened to them the decade before the story. History has come to haunt them, they have to figure out why people in their "group" are being murdered.
Jens
Jens rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Josie Dawson
Josie Dawson rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
David Nicol
David Nicol rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2016
Carol A Mueller
Carol A Mueller rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Dinesh Bhat
Dinesh Bhat rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
louandra hobdy
louandra hobdy rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Silla
Silla rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Hit List
  • Chameleon (Stephanie Patrick #2)
  • The Devil's Banker
  • Revelation
  • Blackout (Sam Archer, #3)
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • Feel: Robbie Williams
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • Skinner's Mission (Bob Skinner, #6)
  • Triple Platinum
  • World Without End
  • Adept
  • LETTUCE!
  • Grand Jury
Before becoming a writer, I used to work in the City of London as a bond trader. I have written eight thrillers set in the worlds of business and finance, but I am now trying my hand at something different. Where The Shadows Lie, the first in a series featuring an Icelandic detective named Magnus Jonson, was published in 2010. The third book in the series, Meltwater, is out in the UK this summer. ...more
More about Michael Ridpath...