Start by marking “Grokking Algorithms An illustrated guide for programmers and other curious people” as Want to Read:

An algorithm is nothing more than a step-by-step procedure for solving a problem. The algorithms you'll use most often as a programmer have already been discovered, tested, and proven. If you want to take a hard pass on Knuth's brilliant but impenetrable theories and the dense multi-page proofs you'll find in most textbooks, this is the book for you. This fully-illustrated ...more
Published 2015 by Manning Publications Co

Be the first to ask a question about Grokking Algorithms An illustrated guide for programmers and other curious people

Bharat
Jun 08, 2016 Bharat rated it really liked it
The visual way of explaining algorithms as seen in this book is very appealing and pretty good and one can easily breeze through the content. Human brains grasp visual narrations better. Can be a starter book before delving into more advanced and books such as CLRS.
Matt Grommes
Dec 01, 2015 Matt Grommes rated it really liked it
I read this through the Manning MEAP program. I thoroughly enjoyed it. My only complaint really is that I wish the tree section could have been longer but that might be changed by publication time. I'm a long time programmer with no degree so I missed a lot of the basis in algorithms others have. This is not a textbook but I got a great intro to a lot of important algorithms.
Tony Poerio
Apr 24, 2016 Tony Poerio rated it it was amazing
This book gives some really excellent and concise descriptions of problems that... when you learn them from your CS professor... seem absurdly (and almost purposely) harder than they need to be. I also really like Aditya's illustration style, and that was what drew me in. It reminds me of "Learn You a Haskell", but focused on Algorithms. Worth the the read.
Alex
Jul 04, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: programming, ebook
The book is OK as an introduction to algorithms, though I felt that the difficulty level is uneven, some easy parts were chewed on way too much and some difficult part were glossed over. Also sometimes there are some references to the algorithms or concepts that haven't been explained yet, but that maybe because the book is still in 'beta' (I've got it via MEAP program).
Lee
Jun 02, 2016 Lee rated it really liked it
Clear, simple, concise. This is a great guide for people who want an illustrated guide behind the intuitions of many classical algorithms. Unfortunately, it's a bit brief and it feels a little rushed, but nevertheless, it's a great read.
Liam
Nov 16, 2016 Liam rated it it was amazing
"Which is used more: arrays or lists? Obviously, it depends on the use case. But arrays see a lot of use because they allow random access. There are two different kinds of access: random access and sequential access. Sequential access means reading the elements one by one, starting at the first element. Linked lists can only do sequential access. If you want to read the 10th element of a linked list, you have to read the first 9 elements and follow the links to the 10th element. Random access ...more
Biblioworm
Oct 28, 2016 Biblioworm rated it did not like it
Автор утвердает (слушал его в подкасте), что написал эту книгу для студентов, но потом и доктора наук его благодарили, что нашли в ней материал для обучения своих студентов.

Если коротко - это ужас. Максимум для младших школьников, чтобы дать им просто почувствовать, что такое алгоритмы, скрыв практически все детали.
Но даже младшим школьникам я бы наверно это не посоветовал.

Читать я перестал в том месте где автор сказал, что quick sort лучше, чем merge sort за счет не учитываем в big O нотации ко
Gabor Hajba
This book is an easy read which gives you fundamentals in dealing with some algorithms.

Sometimes if you take a book about algorithms you encounter definitions and measurements and lemmas and so on and you get your head blown-away. And you stop learning.

This book is quite different: it gives you examples, an understandable introduction into the algorithms and their most common performance measurement (Big-O notation). However you get way too few algorithms explained. I could have read on this boo
Adrian
Oct 16, 2016 Adrian rated it it was amazing
A really good book for an introduction to algorithms. It's written in a way that is easily absorbed by laymen.

Most of the book is filled with interesting and curious cartoons instead of blocks of code. That being said, a basic understanding of programming would help a lot. But probably a very elementary level will suffice; Think codeacademy or the first couple chapters of Eloquent Javascript.

All-in-all, a fantastic primer to get the reader started with computer science. Highly recommended even i
Jörn Dinkla
Oct 13, 2016 Jörn Dinkla rated it it was amazing
This book is the best introduction into algorithms i know. Computer scientist have to read a book with more formal analysis (like CLRS/CLR).
Ananth
Oct 02, 2016 Ananth rated it really liked it
Dont have a CS background and ever wondered what that O(logn) stood for. Fear not, Aditya has your back covered. I have tried several times to learn the basic algorithms and their respective time complexities but have failed miserably. The illustrations and the code samples in Python make it much more lucid to grasp the concepts that are otherwise very ambiguous usually covered with a lot of complexity math. Kudos to Aditya now I am ready to tackle the stanford course by Tim Roughgarden.

Vlad
Oct 01, 2016 Vlad rated it it was amazing
Great book. It explains in plain English different algorithms. For me the best chapters were about Quicksort, Dijkstra's Algorithm, Breadth-First Search, and K-Nearest Neighbors (KNN).
Kelli Blalock
Sep 21, 2016 Kelli Blalock rated it really liked it
Most of the resources for learning algorithms are pretty math heavy and I had forgotten a lot of the math I learned in school, so this was a good book to get started learning algorithms while I brush up on math. I was able to understand most of it and plan to read through it again as it is not that long.
Krishnaprasad Shivdasan
Aug 22, 2016 Krishnaprasad Shivdasan rated it really liked it
It is a quick breezy introduction or refresher into Algorithms. It does not cover all the important algorithms but gives a very visual understanding of them. It is a quick read. It is enough to understand the basic fundamentals but will need to refer to other resources for a thorough understanding of the important algorithms.
Jeff Patterson
Jun 05, 2016 Jeff Patterson rated it really liked it
It's a very quick read with a very brief introduction to 10 common algorithms.
I felt like there were several typo's and mistakes in the pictures but it didn't detract from my understanding.
Don't expect to be able to use anything in this book immediately. It does wet your appetite and the author offers other resources for more in-depth information.
Andy Venet
Jun 28, 2016 Andy Venet rated it really liked it
Great book, wonderfully explained. I was able to remember forgotten stuff about algorithms and the most important part: I am able to explain the underlying ideas behind some algorithms a lot better now thanks to this book...
Eduardo
Aug 11, 2016 Eduardo rated it it was amazing
Great book on basic algorithms, easy to read and follow. it's beginners oriented or to refresh your knowledge of them.
I'd recommend this for any software developers.
Ben Trevett
Ben Trevett rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Jee
Jee rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Alok Pandey
Alok Pandey rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Hariharan Vijayakumar
Hariharan Vijayakumar rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Diego Stamigni
Diego Stamigni rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
yoas
yoas rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Rajan
Rajan rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Naveen Suppala
Naveen Suppala rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Cons Bulaquena
Cons Bulaquena rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Josh Taylor
Josh Taylor rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2016
Hayley
Hayley rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »