Start by marking “In the Shadow of Evil: The Handkerchief (Blackstone Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of Evil: The Handkerchief (Blackstone Chronicles, #4)

In the Shadow of Evil: The Handkerchief (Blackstone Chronicles #4)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  808 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
While researching an historical piece on the Asylum for the town’s newspaper, editor Oliver Metcalf digs through the attic that once belonged to his father, the last superintendent of the facility. There, among the dusty medical records, Oliver discovers a beautifully embroidered linen handkerchief with an ornate “R” in one corner. He decides it will make a lovely present ...more
Published March 30th 1997 by Fawcett Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of Evil

Dharia Scarab
Sep 14, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it did not like it

4 sta
Lana Hart
Sep 21, 2014 Lana Hart rated it it was amazing
Following the twists and turns of the last book, The Handkerchief only serves to wrench our guts once more as we turn each page. Just when you thought the asylum and its caretaker—who also happens to be Oliver's father—couldn't get any worse, you discover just how deep the evil runs through the asylum... and possibly the family. Brilliant writing as always on Saul's part and more than enough tension to keep you squirming on the edge of your seat.
Amy
Nov 29, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Oliver Metcalf found an old linen handkerchief with the letter 'R' beautifully embroidered in the corner, while sorting through medical records from the old Asylum in his father's attic. He gave the handkerchief to Rebecca Morrison, a perfect gift, he'd decided, for the woman he loves. As soon as Rebecca received the gift Germaine Wagner snatched it away from her to give to her own mother, Clara Wagner. Clara gets a very bad feeling from the handkerchief, as if she'd seen it before, but where?
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*
Of course all these serialized stories are demented, but this one a little more so with the handkerchief and ending. You can't feel that bad for the victim since she was so unappealing. This one flows quicker and as an easier read than some of the others, not sure why, maybe because the side-story doesn't lag much and the new revelations about the main plot are finally arrived fuller in force.
Robin
Jan 16, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it

the first couple were better, this one was not as good. Very expectable. I thought the way the old lady would die would be more bloodier and the book scarier. Guess you can't when the book is real small.
Kate
Apr 26, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Another good quick read. While it was hard to except an evil handkerchief, the death scene was particularly gruesome. I liked the cliffhanger with Rebecca, but I long to lend the girl some backbone!
Amy
Jul 27, 2011 Amy rated it did not like it
i wonder if the ending was what was supposed to have happened in the killers mind or if it did not play out the way he wanted. i believe it did not go the way he wanted.
Jequil
Aug 04, 2012 Jequil rated it it was amazing
I am mainly happy that Germaine and Clara Wagner were the ones who suffered in this one. Karma at work.
May 08, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This series just keeps building to a climax can't wait to get to the end of story.
Deborah
Nov 25, 2013 Deborah rated it liked it
Not my favorite of the six-book series, but good
Sybil Ginnane
Sybil Ginnane marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 25, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Leisa
Leisa added it
nancy clapsaddle
nancy clapsaddle marked it as to-read
Jose
Jose added it
Jackie Szafran-Pappas
Jackie Szafran-Pappas rated it it was amazing
Becki
Becki rated it it was amazing
Niklaas
Niklaas rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Ruth E.
Ruth E. rated it really liked it
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Simona Stavar
Simona Stavar marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jan 06, 2016
Elaine St-Pierre
Elaine St-Pierre marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Kathryn Collins
Kathryn Collins rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
  • Night Stone
  • Haunted
  • Starers
  • The Green Mile, Part 2: The Mouse on the Mile
  • The Darkling: A Novel
  • The Forbidden Zone
  • Fairy Tale
  • The Arrival of Armando DeLeon (In Darkness We Must Abide, #3)
  • Eat the Dark
  • Next of Kin (Scott Finn #4)
  • Savage
  • Coromandel Sea Change
  • The Dwelling
  • Fruiting Bodies and Other Fungi
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • Mutation
  • Troublemakers: Stories by Harlan Ellison
  • Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he
More about John Saul...

Blackstone Chronicles (6 books)
  • An Eye for an Eye: The Doll (Blackstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Twist of Fate: The Locket (The Blackstone Chronicles, #2)
  • Ashes to Ashes:  The Dragon's Flame (Blackstone Chronicles, #3)
  • Day of Reckoning: The Stereoscope (Blackstone Chronicles, #5)
  • Asylum (Blackstone Chronicles, #6)