Start by marking “Seal-Woman” as Want to Read:
Seal-Woman

Seal-Woman

One memorable day, while scanning the western coast of Ireland for British Naval Intelligence during World War II, Ronald Lockley caught a glimpse of a dark-haired girl swimming in a school of seals. The memory lingered on. Although Lockley never saw the girl again, he did return to uncover her legend, and the legend of the seal-woman of Kilcalla. From it he has woven this ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published August 1st 1977 by Avon Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Seal-Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seal-Woman

A strange little book -- too short for a full-length novel & too long for a novella.

This is the story of a man who falls in love with a girl who prefers to live among the wilds of Ireland's coast. Through a quick setup of death & honorable masculine promises in the midst of WW2, our narrator (who remains nameless) agrees to locate & care for the sister of his Irish shipmate, who is a decendent of the legendary O'Malley clan. Of course his sister is also a decendent of the O'Malleys..
Sylvia Spruck Wrigley
Aug 28, 2015 Sylvia Spruck Wrigley rated it it was ok
This book is so bizarre, it is hysterical. Lockley was a brilliant naturalist but this exploration of fiction leaves something to be desired. I repeatedly thought, no, he's not really going to... yes, yes, he is. The whole thing is made more disturbing by the amount of scientific detail Lockley brings.

We start in the midst of WWII. The narrator and another man are tasked with searching quiet coves in Ireland via a small sail boat for signs of the enemy, when they become obsessed with a young wi
Fiona
Nov 01, 2012 Fiona rated it really liked it
In 7th grade I remember my English teacher rewarding me for getting student of the month by letting me choose a new book to keep from her shelf. I took this one and read it over and over. It was a little PG-13, considering that I was a very late blooming and unworldly 13 year old and the year was 1981. Still a favorite after all these years. I so wanted to be Shian...
KOMET
Nov 17, 2012 KOMET rated it really liked it
Here's an incredible and engaging story set off the Irish coast during the early post-Second World War era. It involves an encounter a former naval officer has with a "woman of the sea", a strikingly beautiful young woman more at home in the depths of the sea than on land. A relationship blossoms between them. But, alas, irreconcilable differences arise, ensuring a host of challenges to the relationship that lead to a tragic outcome.
Frauke
Oct 12, 2008 Frauke rated it it was ok
Am fascinated by the amount of novels and short stories dealing with the myth of "seal people" - humans who live among the seals, eventually becoming more and more like them. found this for 50p at a book fair. quite good to read, but emotionally barren.
Brianna Karp
Dec 16, 2007 Brianna Karp rated it really liked it
A tragic book about an Irish girl who lives with seals, inspired by the author's own travels to Ireland and the selkie legends told to him by locals. Yay! :)
~Bri
Josephine Gardiner
Josephine Gardiner rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Eva
Eva rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Dana
Dana rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2016
Ebony Jackson
Ebony Jackson rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Michelle Montague
Michelle Montague rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Steve Martinson
Steve Martinson rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Robin Hillyer-Miles
Robin Hillyer-Miles rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2016
Karin
Karin rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Alexa
Alexa rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Meril
Meril rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2013
Eli Elliott
Eli Elliott rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Bex
Bex rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Mckinley
Feb 07, 2011 Mckinley rated it really liked it
A book that took my fancy. I recommended it to several friends. One who really disliked it.
Jolene
Jolene added it
Apr 06, 2012
Reem
Reem marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2012
Tommi
Tommi marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2012
Bran
Bran marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Audra
Audra added it
Dec 19, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Mariela
Mariela marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Thaddeus
Thaddeus marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2016