An Eye for an Eye: The Doll (Blackstone Chronicles, #1)

An Eye for an Eye: The Doll (Blackstone Chronicles #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,169 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The editor of the Blackstone Chronicle, Oliver Metcalf, nervously presides over the ceremony to begin demolition of the old Asylum. But the building's fate hangs in the balance as financing problems halt the project. Contractor Bill McGuire, all set to proceed, can't hide his dismay: with a family and another baby on the way, he can't afford delays. Then a package arrives...more
Mass Market Paperback, First, 82 pages
Published December 28th 1996 by Fawcett

To ask other readers questions about An Eye for an Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Eye for an Eye

•Erin• (Paperback Stash)
John Saul's simple but effective writing style made this short book a breeze to read through.
The story isn't particularly original, but it still works. I have a thing for evil little dolls and the town/asylums' history intrigues me. Characters are realistic enough, told through a slightly detached third person point of view. It's weird that this had an intro chapter, but then another prequel chapter, then finally the first chapter. Think this must be a thing with the serial series and setting it...more
Amy
This is the first book in 'The Blackstone Chronicles,' serial terror in 6 parts. The old Blackstone Asylum demolition project has been delayed due to financing problems. Evil lurks in the Asylum, where a dark figure with a gloved hand picks out perfect gifts from his secret trove of treasures for the community. Bill McGuire, the contractor for the demolition project, and his family are the unlucky first recipients of a perfect gift, a doll with a murderous menace that Bill's daughter Megan has n...more
Dharia Scarab
Found this serial cheep at a thrift store. Not what I was expecting. Unfortunately the story was too short and your left going... What? Why? Huh?

There is one chapter of background on the cursed doll... But not enough information is given to make you care. Kid gets taken from the mother and tossed in an asylum by the father... Because the mom is nuts and dresses the kid like a girl? Err what? And that somehow makes the kid's doll cursed? Huh?

Could have been a good story if more history and devel...more
Laurena
i first read these books when i was in jr. high. and ill never forget them. they creeped me out soooo bad! and i loved it. John saul is one of my favorite writers. his books are scary and therse always this amazing back story. this series is no exception.
Heather Boustead
The Blackstone Chronicles is a serial novel with its first installment, An Eye for an Eye: The Doll, released in January 1997. A serial novel is one continuous story released over time in sections or in this case ”parts”. In this book John Saul is able to grab hold and throw you into his world, a small town setting where various lives enter-twine. Take one creepy doll add one crazy woman and you’ve got one hell of a beginning. I personally wouldn’t say it is scary but I am difficult to frighten....more
Kate
First up for #readathon!
"A warm room leads to the appreciation of good books."- a quote from the town librarian in the book, Germaine Wagner.

Saul is no Stephen King, but the man writes creepy doll stories like a pro. The series centers around the Blackstone Asylum, closed for many years but harboring many dark secrets. Just as demolition on the inside is about to begin, to re-model the place into a shopping center, financing falls through. A doll with ties to the asylum is sent from a shadowy fi...more
This tale is chilling though slightly predictable once the doll is in it's new home. A spoiled child and her 7-months-pregnant mother fight over a possessed doll leading to deadly results. Elizabeth's reaction to the doll after her loss was classic and iconic of its previous owner. And the foreshadowing found in Bill's aunt is perfect. However I'm highly curious about the mentions of Elizabeth's institutionalized sister as well as the main mystery that seems to be Oliver's sister.
Kate
Clearly John Saul wants to be Stephen King--it's the only reason he would also release a 6-part series. And clearly I am a mega-chump, because, like with the Green Mile series, I went out and bought all 6 instead of waiting for a compiled version that would have saved me a ton of money.

Stephen King he is not--this was pretty awful. Not so awful that I stopped reading, but just ridiculous and pointless.
Angie crosby
Good story. Written as the first story in a 6 part series that makes up a novel. Each bit is a bit of the novel. An Asylum is scheduled to be torn down, though the project is halted for funding problems. When a doll shows up on the contractors doorstep, a series of events is set in motion, events that will change his life forever. I enjoyed this and look forward to the next parts.
Barbara
This is John Saul's answer to "The Green Mile" and this is the first of six short novels. 82 pages. It's fun. The contractor who is set to tear down the old scary insane asylum receives an old doll in an unmarked package. The doll has a mysterious, creepy, effect on his little daughter and his wife. Fun.
Bob
I like the stories behind the items, the stranger is intriguing, and there is a chilling line by the little girl who says that "Sam" is better than any little brother could ever be. Looking forward to the rest...
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This was my first experience reading John Saul. I'm excited to be reading this little book again as part of the John Saul Lit Group. Come join us! These serial novels are short and easy to read :-)
Wicked
I love John Saul. I started this but I have wicked literary ADD lately and though I really liked it I have so many open books I'm going to wait I finish it.
Michelle Lane-Parker
It was a good little story. I like more scary though. It's a series so Im ready to move on to book 2.
Gabe A
Great fast page turning short novelette. Creepy. Ready to read book 2 through 6 (once I get them).
Sharon
Jul 11, 2012 Sharon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sharon by: Darlene
Shelves: read-in-2012
What a fun, quick, thrilling Serial Novel. Wish I had parts 2 - 6 to read right now.
Nicole
This book was freaky, but then porcelain dolls are disturbing in general.
Tina Helton-mitchell
I READ THIS SERIES OF BOOKS THEY A SCARY BUT GOOD!!!
Deborah
Good 'n' scary
Amanda Dintleman
Amanda Dintleman is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Kara Moore
Kara Moore marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Shawnna Kenney
Shawnna Kenney marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Brenda
Brenda added it
Russel Grundy
Russel Grundy marked it as to-read
Pandora999
Pandora999 marked it as to-read
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Christi
Christi is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2014
  • Generation
  • Deep in the Darkness
  • The Sentinel
  • The Horror Of The Shade (Trilogy of the Void #1)
  • The House That Jack Built
  • One Blood
  • A Gathering of Crows
  • The Green Mile, Part 3: Coffey's Hands
  • Mr. X
  • Nightmare House (Harrow House, #1)
  • Ghost Radio
  • The Dwelling
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he...more