Start by marking “An Oath Taken (The Oath Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Oath Taken (The Oath Trilogy, #1)

An Oath Taken (The Oath Trilogy #1)

A man of honor.
A woman of spirit.

As the new castellan, Sir Nicholas Beringar has the daunting task of rebuilding Ravenmoor Castle on the Scottish border and gaining the trust of the locals—one of whom wastes no time in trying to rob him. Instead of punishing the boy, Nicholas decides to make him his squire. Little does he know the thieving young lad is really…a lady.

Lady
Kindle Edition
Published December 8th 2014 by eKensington

To ask other readers questions about An Oath Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Oath Taken

Sophia
I took one look at the blurb and just had to read this one: Scottish-English border warring during the time of Edward I, new English overlord, daring girl disguised as the English knight's squire to get into the castle for a daring rescue, traitors...oh yes, it sounded all sorts of good plus new to me author. After finishing this first book in the trilogy, I am definitely going back for more from the author and continuing on with the series with its nice balance of history, romance and story ...more
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks
All Sir Nicholas Beringar, the new castellan of Ravenmoor Castle, wanted to do was restore the holding to its former glory and get the inhabitants to trust in him and leave peaceably. All Lady Elizabet Armstrong, petite Scottish hellraiser wants to do is save her people who have been taken prisoner in Ravenmoor Castle. When the two meet, it's in a very unexpected way and begins this tale of deception and awakening.

When Lady Elizabet sets out to rob a seemingly weather traveler, she gets more tha
Marilyn Rondeau
Dec 03, 2014 Marilyn Rondeau rated it really liked it
As the new castellan sent by the English king to rebuild Ravenmoor Castle on the Scottish border, Sir Nicholas Beringer was faced with a daunting task. The last castellan sent by the English king, had not only raped, pillaged and even stolen from the king, lining his own pockets. It wasn’t surprising then when a young lad tried to rob Sir Nicholas. Instead of punishing the lad as he should, Nicholas instead offered him a boon to come and squire for him at Ravenmoor. However, the lad in reality ...more
Farrah
Oct 21, 2014 Farrah rated it really liked it
A delightful historical romance, An Oath Taken was a wonderful read. With a vivacious heroine and a thoroughly honorable hero, this book was sweet, romantic, and lovely in all.

Elizabet was a lively heroine. She was determined to save her brother, even if she had to put herself into a precarious situation to do it. She was a likable character and I thought she was great.

Nicholas was a truly good, honorable man. He was a fair leader and a strong warrior. He was wonderful and I really liked him

The
Eileen Dandashi
Jan 29, 2015 Eileen Dandashi rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts: Elizabet impersonates a lad to gain coin to somehow free her brother and father risking her life by reiving. Here we find what mettle Elizabet is made of. She lets loose an arrow to the unsuspecting Nicholas as he’s riding his horse close to a tree, demanding coin from him. The situation does not go as Elizabet planned, however, due to Nicholas’s compassion for the lad’s need for thievery. He offers her employment as his squire extracting a promise of fealty from her.

I fell in love
Rhonda
Dec 13, 2014 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Grabs from the first page, takes you on a Scottish adventure, and doesn't let go! Diana Cosby is one of my all time favorite authors. Her amazing talent pulls the reader into the story and makes them part of it. The reader forgets any surroundings and escapes into an amazing story. I will read anything with her name on it and she never disappoints the reader! So glad this is the first of a new series and will anxiously await the rest.

The hero, the new castellan, has the responsibility rebuilding
Debra Taylor
Oct 25, 2014 Debra Taylor rated it really liked it

This was a lovely historical romance. It was a wonderful read that I enjoyed from start to finish.

I really liked the characters in this book. Elizabet was a spunky heroine. I liked her a lot because she was so fearlessly determined to save her brother. She risked a lot for her people. I liked Nicholas because he was an honorable man who treated everyone fairly, even after he realized that he'd been duped. I felt they were perfect together.

The plot was strong and moved at a fast pace. It had a
April
Jan 18, 2015 April rated it it was amazing
A brilliantly written Scottish Romance. Fast paced and filled with passion, suspense, betrayal and romance.
This is a new series and it promises to be an amazing series!
The characters will capture your heart. It is well written with intrigue, passion and weaves an awesome romance. I loved the hero/heroine and the secondary characters help to carry the story.
Ms. Cosby is a talented Scottish romance storyteller, whose stories hold the reader in awe. A wickedly delicious Scottish Romance! Well done
Yvonne Daniels
Dec 11, 2014 Yvonne Daniels rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers of Historical Romance
This a great start to a series, I am glad I was given this chance to read and review one of Diana Cosby books. I really enjoyed this story. Set on the borders of England and Scotland in the times of old, this is a beautiful love story! Elizabet and Nicholas make a great couple and a team to be reckoned with. Elizabet is a strong willed Scottish lass to be sure, she had to be in order to dress as a lad and agree to be Sir Nicholas squire. She was attracted to him but resisted, because her father ...more
Katherine
Apr 26, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Sir Nicholas had the task of rebuilding Ravenmoor Castle on the Scottish boarder and gaining the trust of the locals after the last Castellan terrorized the people. On the quest of finding out who was plundering the Scottish border he met up with a lad named Thomas. Thomas was a likable lad or is he. This was a well balance book with mystery and romance. I really feel in love with Sir Nicholas and his Lady love Elizabet.

I really hate endings. Especially when the books have you bond so quickly w
Nicole Laverdure
Dec 09, 2014 Nicole Laverdure rated it really liked it
I enjoyed An Oath Taken, written by Diana Cosby, the first story in her new series The Oath Trilogy. It's a beautiful historical romance well written, fast paced and good plot. I liked her characters Nicholas, a warrior with a sense of justice and Elizabet, a headstrong heroine. As the new castellan, Sir Nicholas Beringar has the task of rebuilding Ravenmoor Castle. He needs to gain the trust of people. Lady Elizabet Armstrong has disguised herself in an attempt to free her brother from ...more
gwen shrake
Mar 06, 2015 gwen shrake rated it it was amazing
A wonderful knights tale of love, romance, and adventure

There are several things I liked about this story. First the authors way in writing about the characters feelings. She writes with such passion that you feel what the characters feels. There is an intensity which makes you feel like you're part of the story. Second, when it comes to the romance and sexual desires of the characters, the author writes with class. There are no extreme scenes between the characters. Third, the story is action p
Eniko
Feb 02, 2015 Eniko rated it it was amazing
thrilling story

Wow! My heart is still galloping, the story is so intense. Love Nicholas, he is a fair, honourable man, charged by his King to put right the wrongs done by his predecessor. Except Elizabet turns his world upside down, in more ways than one and then she steals his heart. Loved how the story unfolds, the unexpected twists, the chemistry between Nicholas and Elizabet. You got to read this book!!! I am looking forward to the next one.
Kat Green
May 15, 2015 Kat Green rated it it was amazing
Nicholas and Elisabet

I found this story to be one of depth and intrigue. The humor found in several of the situations involving the two main characters was very creative and a fun read. Nicholas and Elisabet are very intriguing and creative characters. An Oath taken is an excellent read! Well worth your time and money! Now, I am chomping at the bit for Oath Broken and Oath Sworn.
Kiltsandswords
Oct 16, 2014 Kiltsandswords rated it really liked it
An Oath Taken (The Oath Trilogy) by Diana Crosby
An Overview by Amazon:
Lady Elizabet Armstrong had donned a disguise in an attempt to free her brother from Ravenmoor
Jackson D'Lynne
Dec 10, 2014 Jackson D'Lynne rated it really liked it
At only little over 80k words, this book packs a lot of story into its pages. Nicholas has just been handed a crap load of problems with his new title, but he is up to the task. After a patrol, he’s headed home when he’s stopped by the heroine—needless to say, their first meeting isn’t one that instantly evokes love between them. I really enjoyed the clever, yet kind of unbelievable, subterfuge. When they first met she was cloaked, so it’s somewhat easy to believe he couldn’t tell she was a ...more
Pam
Dec 26, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable historical romance set in Scotland. The reader is drawn into the story with historical perspectives and engaging characters and this first book in the trilogy will keep readers coming back for more.

Sir Nicholas Beringar is the new castellan to Ravenmoor Castle, with Scotland in turmoil since the death of King Alexander III, King Edward of England intervenes until Scotland can choose their new leader. Nicholas arrives and immediately begins rebuilding, not only the failing ca
Gaele
I can’t help myself: historic romance is my downfall and weakness. In this lovely story, Diana Cosby brings us a knight, Sir Nicholas Beringar, an Englishman sent to become the new Castellan at Ravenmoor along the Scottish border. Anyone remotely familiar with English / Scottish history will know that this is a wonderful setting for drama as the “Sassenach” is placed in a location where not all the locals will be friendly.

Elizabet Armstrong has resorted to desperate measures to free her brother
Amaranthine
Our heroine Elizabet is fierce, headstrong, and determined, though oddly lacking a bit in self-esteem. She is desperate and determined to help her family and her people, at any cost.

Our hero Nicholas is empathetic, patient, and honorable. Hampered by dislike and mistrust, he is doing his best to repair the damage the previous castellan wrought on the property and peoples.

Despite the background of war and hardship, the story is almost sweet, and at times quite amusing. Nicholas and Elizabet are c
Bambi Unbridled
I feel like I have a reading slump coming on because I just could not connect to this story - I felt annoyed most of the time I was reading it. I can't even explain why, other than I am not big on books where the heroine is deceiving the hero. It just doesn't sit right with me. So why did I read this one after reading the blurb? Well, I want to read the second book in he series and I am a little OCD about reading a series in order. Don't get me wrong - there was nothing wrong with the writing ...more
Hannah
Dec 16, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
Wow this book was everything I hoped for and more. A woman dressed as a man, sabotage and double dealings, and a strong Scottish woman meeting her match in an English nobleman how could it go wrong...it doesn't it's great!

.... Oops sorry I got distracted by the hunk on the cover.

Lady Elizabeth Armstrong needs to rescue her father and her brother from the dungeon of Ravenmoore Castle. They were captured and by the English castellan a cruel man who fortunately was killed and replaced with another.
Amy Alvis
Jul 20, 2015 Amy Alvis rated it it was amazing
This is book 1 in the Oath Trilogy series.

Sir Nicholas Beringar, the new castellan of Ravenmoor Castle, is trying to gain the trust of the locals. It doesn't help that one of the locals has started stealing from the Englishman in his employ. When he catches the young man, he makes him his squire instead of punishing him.

What Nicholas doesn't know, is that his new squire is really Lady Elizabet Armstrong. She needed a way into Ravenmoor to see if her people were ok. Her brother and father were pu
Maggie
Apr 13, 2015 Maggie rated it it was amazing
A delight to read!

Upon arrival, Sir Nicolas Beringan, an Englishman sent to settle down the friction on the Scottish border, acquires a Scottish squire named Thomas, only the squire is truly Lady Elizabet Armstrong.

Elizabet will do anything to get her family back, including impersonating a boy to get inside the keep where her family was last seen. Though she fears the worst, she hopes she’s in time to save them.

Nicolas values chivalry, honor, and integrity above all other virtues. From the start
Amanda Richardson
Jan 06, 2015 Amanda Richardson rated it really liked it
Very good book, medieval settings are my favorites, this was the first book I have read by Diana Cosby and I want to read more. Elizabet is caught reiving by a new castellan Sir Nicholas, but he thinks she is a boy and offers her a position as his squire so "Thomas" will stop thieving. Elizabet wants into the castle Sir Nicholas is in charge of because her brother and father are being held there for crimes they did not commit. She agrees to be his squire in order to free her family and her ...more
Monique
Jun 18, 2015 Monique rated it it was amazing
Now - this is the kind of romance novel that I like to read!
A great historical backdrop (the reign of Edward I, William Wallace, and the basic hatred between Scotland and England), with very likable, charismatic characters, AND an evil serial-killer type villain.
Oh yeah - well-written sensual sex scenes that don't take over the story, AND a happily-ever-after too!
Not to spoil it, but it's a boy-meets-girl, under the guise of boy-meets-boy, which makes the boy - a very virile straight man - wonde
Belinda
Oct 16, 2014 Belinda rated it liked it
I liked this story which held my interest was a short read. If you like Scottish themed romance you will enjoy this one. The hot hero, which was an Englishman named Sir Nicholas Beringar. He was the new castellan picked to rebuild Ravenmoor Castle on the border of Scotland. He hopes to gain the trust of the people of the area, when he is robbed by one the local lads hiding in a tree. Nicholas doesn't want to harm anyone, but decides to make the fellow his squire. But for some reason, the person ...more
Maria
Oct 19, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
This was extremely well written. The story draws you in and Readers will really enjoy it.

Sir Nicholas Beringar is an English Knight who has the daunting task of rebuilding and obtaining the trust of those at Ravenmoor Castle, which is located on the Scottish border. As he rides, he is confronted by a lad who is a thief. Nicholas wants to help this lad and he makes him his squire. He feels a kinship and is inexplicably drawn to the lad.

Elizabet Armstrong is on a mission to save her brother, fathe
A.C. Wilson
Jun 22, 2015 A.C. Wilson rated it it was amazing
I really like the historical romance genre and I wasn't disappointed by this book. You are taken back to the realm of English Knights securing the Scotland/England borders all the while fighting prejudice, pride and things neither side has any idea about. This story is about a woman who passes herself off as an English Knight's squire in order to find out if her brother and father are still alive. Along the way she is tested, challenged, and accepted for her plucky nature and will to save all ...more
Margaret Sholders
Dec 23, 2014 Margaret Sholders rated it it was amazing
This is a serious romance and history story. There is a lot of information in this book and has some, OK a lot, of violence. It is so hard to fatham men fighting and killing each other. Sir Nicholas is sent to rebuild Ravenmoor Castle from neglect of previous owner. He has been there for 2 weeks when he is told of prisoners sick and dead in the dungeon. Nicholas is livid. He meets Elizabet, dressed as a boy, as she tries to rob him. He can't see into the tree and tells her/him to be at the ...more
Diana (DomesticGoddess)
(Romance is graded on a curve.)

The author commits the sin of opening with an info-dump conversation, and continues transgressing with repetitiveness. There are way too many instances of smells, fragrances, and especially scents of peat, smoke, roasted pig, and lots and lots of heather, etc. I suppose this device is meant to be evocative of the historical setting, but, enough already! The plot is alright and the characters are likeable enough, with the exception of the heroine being slig
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Highlander's Stolen Heart (Macinnes Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • The Highlander's Dangerous Temptation (The MacLerie Clan #7)
  • My Highland Lover (Highland Hearts, #1)
  • Her Highland Rogue (Wild Highland Guardian, #1)
  • A Rose In The Storm (Scottish Medieval, #2)
  • The MacLean Groom (Highland Lairds Trilogy, #1)
  • Highland Awakening (Highland Knights, #2)
  • The Wicked Ways of Alexander Kidd (The MacGregors: Highland Heirs, #2)
  • The Ghost (Highland Guard, #12)
  • Hannah and the Highlander (Untamed Highlanders, #1)
  • Her Highness and the Highlander (The Princess Brides, #2)
  • My Highland Spy (Highland Spies, #1)
  • The Highlander Who Loved Me
  • To Desire a Highlander (Scandalous Scots, #2)
  • The Highland Bride's Choice (Campbell Sisters, #1)
  • Improper Seduction (English Tudor, #1)
  • Conquered by the Highlander (Conquered Bride, #1)
A retired Navy Chief, Diana Cosby is an international bestselling author of Scottish medieval romantic suspense. Books in her award-winning MacGruder Brothers series are translated in five languages. Diana has spoken at the Library of Congress, Lady Jane’s Salon in NYC, and appeared in Woman’s Day, on USA Today’s romance blog, “Happy Ever After,” MSN.com, Atlantic County Women Magazine, and ...more
More about Diana Cosby...

The Oath Trilogy (3 books)
  • An Oath Broken (The Oath Trilogy, #2)
  • An Oath Sworn (The Oath Trilogy, #3)