Start by marking “The Salzburg Connection” as Want to Read:
The Salzburg Connection

The Salzburg Connection

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,706 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Twenty-one years ago, with the Allies on their heels, the Nazis hid a sealed chest in the dark, forbidding waters of the Finstersee - a lake surrounded by the brooding peaks of the Austrian Alps.

One of the few men who knows of its existence is Richard Bryant, a British agent. Very early one morning, half-hidden by the swirling mists, he sets out alone to discover the secre
Published 1990 by Fontana (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Salzburg Connection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Salzburg Connection

I read this book for the first time soon after its original publication in the late 60's. I loved it and inspired an interest in suspense novels and especially all books by Helen MacInnes. Would love to find the time to read it again.
First class story- interesting characters, logical yet surprising plot twists, suspense the whole way through!
I started reading mysteries as did many of my generation with The Nancy Drew Mysteries by Carolyn Keene. Then it was on to the romantic mystery genre as developed by Mary Stewart and espionage novels by Helen MacInnes. This espionage novel is undoubtedly one of the best ever for its time.

This work of fiction is plush with setting descriptions and intricate details of the chase to discover if the rumor is true that an old chest containing Nazi war documents is submerged in the midst of an Austri
Nazis, Russians, Brits, and Americans all converging on the same remote Austrian mountain village. Throw in a few alliances,double-crosses and triple-crosses, amateur and professional spies, a lawyer, an editor and several innocent bystanders mix them all up in Cold War Europe and you have one terrific spy-novel. What's in that Finstersee box anyway?
Shubha Sarma
A brilliant book, on an oft-written theme, with an entirely fresh perspective and treatment. The story traces the post-World War II period, when most countries in Europe are engaged in cloak and dagger encounters. There are the Soviets, the Americans, the Brits and of course the Germans who are determined to recoup their losses after Hitler's downfall. At the centre is a deep, dark lake- Fintersee- which hides more secrets than one can imagine.
The book was absorbing and the story unpredictable.
I loved this book, a great suspense, mystery that is CLEAN!!! The book was published in 1968. I think I am going to try and check out other books by this author. Yea!!!
Out of the box for me, but it was pretty good. The main character kind of bugged me though. Whenever he saw a pretty woman it reminded me of a dog seeing a treat.
This is my mom's favorite author and she has me hooked. I really enjoyed this book due to its setting and its high level of intrigue.
Ah, exciting, well-written, Cold War-era spy fiction--with romance. Not my favorite genre, but nice every now and then.
Lewis Weinstein
Ms. MacInnes wrote spy thrillers before almost anyone else. They are still outstanding reads.
My Dad likes book about WWII and espionage, so there were almost always books like this around the house when I was growing up.
There is also some cosmic rule that every vacation cabin or beach cottage you stay in will have spy novels on the shelves and in the bedside table, so I learned to enjoy them when I was young.
I really like Helen MacInnes-type books, written in the midst of the Cold War (and sometimes WWII), back before cell phones and whizbang technology. They are heavy on patriotism an
Kay Rovik
Her books are true post WW2 spy mysteries, each one has a Nazi that the character is pursuing, and the Nazi is trying to murder.the character and the love interest. The books are out of print, but thankfully they are on Kindle. I reread them all every couple of years. A couple of her early ones aren't as good for being a true spy mystery, but don't hold that against her. She wrote true original spy stories and there aren't many authors since her that have written the length of story lines she wr ...more
More reviews available at my blog, Beauty and the Bookworm.

Helen MacInnes has been labeled "the queen of suspense" by some, and I think I would probably agree with that based on my impressions of The Salzburg Connection. The plot revolves around a box hidden in an Austrian lake, and all of the people who are trying to find it or prevent it from being found. This results in there being a lot of moving parts, but MacInnes handles it well. She's also rather unique in the world of cold war spy novel
Enjoyed this. The first chapter which details the removal and hiding of a box of Nazi materials from an Austrian lake sets up the whole situation, including Richard Bryant's murder.Everything seems to flow naturally from this, the arrival of a New York lawyer representing a publishing house to investigate a cheque supposedly issued by the publisher's agent as an advance on a book the publisher would not in a million years have added to their list. Bryant's widow is immediately involved in all th ...more
What is buried in a lake in the Austrian mountains? Are Bill Mathison and Lynn Conway in over their heads? Whose side is Felix Zauner really on? Where is Eric Yates? Why are Chinese agents in Zurich? How are the British and American agents involved? Who and what is Elissa Lang? This thriller was 10 months on the Times best seller list and maintains its page-turning power today.

It starts with a long set up that gives the wrong impression of who the main character will be. But then the pace speed
A retired British spy runs a photography shop with his loving wife. He finished a book of Austrian lakes, for the Swiss branch of a New York publisher and happens to write New York instead of his usual liaison. A lawyer arrives to explain they can find no contract and only publish scientific material. The American finds a distraught wife instead of her husband and the name signed on the couple’s advance cheque, is no one they know.

I’m accustomed to 300-page mysteries and “The Salzburg Connection
Nazi treasure may have been found in Poland in a network of underground railway tunnels. Can't wait for the documentary that must be in the process of being made. Anyhow, this snippet brought to mind all the books that I have read that deals with hidden Nazi treasure, either as the main plot device or as a peripheral info dump, and this was one of the books that I remembered really clearly.
This has long been one of my favorite reads. First discovered as a teenager in my hometown's public library, and reread many times through the years, I am happy to say that it held up beautifully to a recent indulgence! The suspense grips from the opening moments at a misty lakeside in Austria where a box hidden by the Nazis at the end of WWII to the final resolution. the characters are smart and identifiable, the story intriguing. Now of course certain business of the story like the suddenly sh ...more
Although this story's plot is right up my alley i.e., art and other valuables stolen by the Nazis and hidden in Austrian lakes, I failed to finish this book. I just couldn't tolerate the author's plodding, tedious writing style.
Not especially exciting after the first dramatic intro, but immensely enjoyable as more and more layers of espionage are revealed. Then the last third of the novel is relentless! Even though this is an old book (1968), it definitely captures the world of double agents, dedicated professionals, and the unsuspecting civilians caught up in the intrigue of international affairs.
Helen MacInnes lived in a different time, and that's one of the things that makes these books interesting... but this is not one of her most compelling.
Alecia D
I really enjoyed the story and think I will read more by this author. There were a few times it felt a bit dated to me or I would have given it four stars but it was a good read.
Stacey Moss
Definitely a page turner. The plot thickens quickly, with interesting twists and turns.

The romantic side plot is completely sappy and cliched, making me roll my eyes at several points (and have to double check the front cover to confirm that it was written by a woman!). But I took the novel as a light read, and so I could forgive the corniness. Mostly.
I love her spy novels. They work even today - the characters are well drawn and believable.
I couldn't put this down!
Its the kinda book where the double-crossers don't hardly stand a chance cause of all the triple-crossers.

Its like, guess which card its under? Nope, ...not that one.

So, keep your eyes open and pay careful attention, cause things ain't always what them seem, and misses cost a lot ..a whole lot.
Nancy Hawkins
Nice to return to the suspense of Helen MacInnes. She weaves a good story!
Ronnie D'rozario
Too many characters, too many plots ..I read 2/3rd of this book and lost interest. I also thought the writing was poor.
Kyle Mitchum
Picked this one up at my grandmas over the holidays and am glad I did. Foreign affairs, intrigue, interesting characters with a historical overlay all made for a good read. Will pick up another of hers.
I liked the idea of the story a lot. I found it full of twists and turns which made it fun, however there may have been a bit too many. It took a long time to understand exactly why what was happening was happening. It was full of great discription of the area in and around Salzburg.
  • Force 10 from Navarone
  • My Brother Michael
  • Storm Warning
  • Berlin Game (Bernard Samson, #1)
  • The Quiller Memorandum
  • The Tamarind Seed
  • The Gemini Contenders
  • Journey Into Fear
  • Alistair MacLean's Night Watch
Helen MacInnes was a Scottish-American author of espionage novels. She graduated from the University of Glasgow in Scotland in 1928 with a degree in French and German. A librarian, she married Professor Gilbert Highet in 1932 and moved with her husband to New York in 1937 so he could teach classics at Columbia University. She wrote her first novel, Above Suspicion, in 1939. She wrote many bestsell ...more
More about Helen MacInnes...