Start by marking “Voyage of the Liberdade” as Want to Read:
Voyage of the Liberdade

Voyage of the Liberdade

Great mariner's thrilling, first-hand account of the wreck of his ship off the coast of South America, the 35-foot "brave little craft" he built from the wreckage, and its remarkable, danger-fraught voyage home. A 19th-century maritime classic brimming with courage, ingenuity, and daring.
Published January 27th 1998 by Dover Publications (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Voyage of the Liberdade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyage of the Liberdade

John
Glad this was a short book (non-fiction "novella" as it were), as I never got used to the author's rather verbose, corny style. I suppose it may well be the way Victorian sea captains spoke, and I assumed that the narrator faithfully reproduced that effect, but the result just wasn't for me; had this been a full-length work, I doubt I'd have finished it. The final hour (25%) consists of a second-hand tale from the South Seas written by Slocum, based on reports he says he "translated" with the ai ...more
純一郎 長谷川
Sep 25, 2013 純一郎 長谷川 rated it really liked it
His first book describing his adventures at sea, Voyage of the Liberdade follows the early adventures on the high seas of American sailor JOSHUA SLOCUM (1844-1909), who would later become the first man to sail alone around the world. First aboard the Aquidneck and then later the Liberdade and journeying from New York to Uruguay to Rio, Slocum and his crew battle harsh weather, sickness, and murder as they ply their trade. This is a real-life adventure written by one of America's premier seamen w ...more
Calbraith
Aug 01, 2013 Calbraith rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how easy this was to read. Written in 1888 by a man that made his living as a seaman. His writing flows really well; A good story teller that grabs and keeps your interest.
A fun and often exciting read. Surprising for a 'travel journal' from 125 years ago.

I would have loved to have read candid foreword written by his wife or kids who traveled in his 'canoe' with him. Would have been interesting to hear her opinion of the voyage.
Lucy
May 28, 2016 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Not quite as well-constructed a book as 'Sailing Alone Around the World', but with the added joy of wondering what on earth his wife was really thinking as this maniac sailed his way up the Americas. I can't believe I've lived this long without knowing about Joshua Slocum.
Karin
Feb 05, 2013 Karin rated it liked it
I can't help but wonder how this book would have turned out if Slocum's wife wrote it, or either of his sons. I'm sure it would have been written very differently.
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Alberto Hardt
Alberto Hardt rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Mary Jo Cardinale
Mary Jo Cardinale rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2014
Andrzej
Andrzej rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Harley Francis Doerfler
Harley Francis Doerfler rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Chris Robb
Chris Robb rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2016
john rainnie
john rainnie rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Jason Earl
Jason Earl rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Manutgop
Manutgop rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2010
Jamie Gifford
Jamie Gifford rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Natasha
Natasha rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2011
Robert Lovell
Robert Lovell rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Andy Andy
Andy Andy rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Dominik
Dominik rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Paris Cachero
Paris Cachero rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Jacques Devaud
Jacques Devaud rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2014
Denis
Denis rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Ben Hartley
Ben Hartley rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Ed
Ed rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2013
Kaja Szwarc
Kaja Szwarc rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Carl
Carl rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Devon
Devon rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
David
Jan 14, 2014 David added it
A remarkable story. Not as thrilling as his circumnavigation story, but every bit as engaging.
Graham Humphreys
Graham Humphreys rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Ed Budden
Ed Budden rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
120675
Joshua Slocum was the first man to sail single-handedly around the world. He was a Nova Scotian born, naturalised American seaman and adventurer, and a noted writer. In 1900 he wrote a book about his journey 'Sailing Alone Around the World', which became an international best-seller. He disappeared in November 1909 while aboard his boat, the Spray.
More about Joshua Slocum...