Nathaniel

Nathaniel

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  3,680 ratings  ·  99 reviews
Prairie Bent. Brilliant summers amid golden fields. Killing winters of razorlike cold. A peaceful, neighborly village, darkened by legends of death.

WHO IS NATHANIEL?

For a hundred years, the people of Prairie Bent have whispered the name in wonder and fear. Some say he is simply a fold tale--a legend created to frighten children on cold winter nights. Some swear he is a ter...more
Mass Market Paperback, 343 pages
Published June 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Nathaniel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nathaniel

Dirk Grobbelaar
”I saw something that night.”

John Saul is a very deceptive writer. The characters that people his stories are ordinary everyday folk doing ordinary everyday things. Even the horror elements are hardly apocalyptic or grotesque (or perhaps I haven’t read enough of his books yet). Instead, it creeps and crawls and worms its way into the reader’s consciousness.

If there isn’t overmuch character development, it’s because the characters come fully formed. These are the kind of people we all know, whic...more
mark monday
okay, this next part isn't my own review, but it was written on GoodReads in 2008 and i feel it deserves a wider audience:

I LOVE THIS BOOK.. IM NOT SURE WHY CUZ IF YOU ASK ME FOR DETAILS ABOUT IT I COULDNT GIVE EM TO YA... MAYBE THATS WHY I CAN READ BOOKS A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT TIMES.... MY MEMORY IS HORRIBLE....

thank you, "♥ Lou"! if you were still around, i'd follow your reviews! you've read Nathaniel 3 times! that is a horrible memory PLUS dedication! i am your fan.

as for me, i was in high sch...more
Kayla
Aug 15, 2008 Kayla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
I love John Saul, and this has got to be my absolute favorite book of his! It has lots of twists and turns that keep you guessing until the very end when the surprise ending leaves you speechless!
Brian Taylor
I’m going to be spoiler free with all my book reviews, talking more about what elements I liked, or didn’t like, rather than plot points. I don’t want to ruin anyone’s reading experience.

Before I get on with the review, I’d like to talk about why I went back and forth on whether to post this. This is my first unfavorable review and, being a writer, I know how a review like this would make me feel. However, I also thought the benefits of talking about why I didn’t connect with this book may help...more
Melanie
Nathaniel has been on my personal bookshelf for many years, I picked it up from a garage sale for $1 (along with a few more of Mr Saul's book) but until now I haven't had a chance to read it.

The blurb intrigued me when I read it and made me think of Stephen King a little bit.

Nathaniel was easy to read, there was lots of twists that kept your attention and made you want to keep reading. It was dark, believable with a hint of the supernatural.

I must admit when I read this quote:
"If that's what you...more
Mike
Nathaniel A very creepy story that blends elements of a horrendous family legacy with ESP, madness and gore set in a backwards midwestern town. This is the second John Saul book I've read and it was much better than the first. It has a lot of elements that felt like influence from Stephen King. I defintately liked the book and would recommend it.
Adam Wilson
Nathaniel by John Saul is, to put it lightly, very familiar territory for him and for anyone who has read several of his books. I seriously think that this book's

largest problem, at least for me, is that I read it as my 27th Saul read. If I would have read it much earlier on I would have thought much more of it but the same

elements keep turning up again and again. Yep, there is a suffering child in this one who is placed in a strange new home with strange new authority figures who are

much mor...more
Nikki
Yes another Saul book that I have recently finished. Guess I am kind of on a Saul kick. He has so many awesome books out there. I didn't realize until I joined Goodreads online how many books he has actually written. Also the fact that he lives in the Seattle area is a bonus since I'm in the same area. And of course I was not disappointed in this book of his. I had read some not so great reviews of this book, and there is only one thing I didn't like about it which is it was not as captivating a...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Something about barns is just plain spooky. It seems like the last few books that I have read have had barns in them & it has led to some very dark ocurrences.

On that note, Nathaniel was one creepy book. It is another great October read. Many things were disturbing about the plot and very mysterious. I really despised Amos and I hated him when he hurt Shadow. I can't stand to read stuff like that when it comes to animals. I did enjoy the surprise that came at the end with everything coming t...more
Elle Ess
My Original Post

Warning: SPOILERS!

I love this book. I have read it so many times that I have lost count. Truth be told, I adore all of John Saul's books but this one seems to change every time I read it. From the supernatural elements to the "what is real" aspects, I love the well rounded nature of this story and I love how it combines a childlike innocence with a very adult nature. That said, here's my review:

Summary: Narrated by the author, told from various characters viewpoints as it directs...more
Andrew Armour
The review of this may be a little fragmented but that just mirror the quality of this book. It deathly dull where is should be instead deathly scary. The sense of mystery wore off so much so, that this took about 3 years for me to get through as I read 2 other books in the meantime and this one became a time filler. But I kept with this one till the end as I've read and thoroughly enjoyed John Saul's Hellfire. Micheal and his mother inherit a farm from the now deceased farther who had no intere...more
Doreen
Truly a great book! It's creepy, in the original sense of the word. You don't want to read this one alone at night. Make sure you have A LOT of time to read this one, because you will want to finish it in one sitting. Trust me, you won't be able to put it down. It will have you in it's grip right up to the twist at the end!
Robin
This was the second book i ever read. I was really young when i did. I took it from my mother's books and it scared me. Ever since i read this i've been into reading ghost stories. I read it again last year to see if it had the same effects and it still made the hair at the back of my neck stand up.
Dawn
I read this book many years ago (early 80's), so I could not give an accurate review. I have it listed in my records as a "very good read".
Susan
This was the second book by John Saul I read and it's one of my favorites. The atmosphere is so spooky and Amos Hall... brrr

Ryan Lieske
It can't be denied, John Saul's books are formulaic. If you've read one, you've pretty much read them all. Usually they concern a family with secrets, more often than not involving children. He aims to be Stephen King, but falls very, very short. Honestly, I have no problem with this, because when I decide to read a Saul novel, I know what I'm getting into. I've read several of his books, and while none of them have come close to being as good as his debut, "Suffer the Children" (a book he has,...more
Michelle
soooo creepy... will make you sleep with the lights on for a while
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I listened to Nathaniel on abridged audio. I of course, prefer unabridged audio but I knew I'd never actually get through the book and this is the only audio version available. I was disappointed in the ending. It seemed like the story was built up really well and then just crumbled at the end without a satisfactory conclusion. I often have problems with Saul's endings, but it should be noted I was listening to abridged version and may have missed something. However, on my initial reading in the...more
R
I'm revisiting some horror classics this month. I have always been a John Saul fan ever since I read Comes the Blind Fury, so I borrowed a big 3 pack of novels and this was the first in the series.
I always enjoy a story set in the prairies. That stark, isolated feel is something that I've always identified with having spent many an evening in a small prairie town. This one of course has a dark undertone of mystery involving the death of some children and strange powers. While I enjoyed this one...more
Tara
Ok, so this may not be the literary equivalent of a 5-star novel but it was one of the most fun ghost stories I've read in a very long time. (I actually listened to it on cd, but whatever.) The book was originally published in 1984 and is very well-known and well-loved. I'd call it a "classic" as in classic ghost story. I really enjoyed it.
Katrin
Real good book but left the ending hanging like it would be a sequel.
Jeff O'Brien
This is the fourth book of Saul's that I have read; I'm currently on a John Saul binge, and while I loved it and it was a lot of fun, I expected a little more. I could have seen the ending going in some different directions that would have been more unpredictable and more exciting. But with that being said, it was still a fun enough book to get a 4 star rating from me. If you're looking for a quick, easy read that will give you a few scares, this book probably won't disappoint you. I'm beginning...more
Heather
Another masterpiece for sure!
Maryann
Another one of my favorites!
Lyla
Of all the John Saul books I have read, this is my favorite. Sure, there are elements I notice in a few of his others, BUT there's a shocking little twist in this book that I honestly didn't expect (I have a bad habit of trying to predict what'll happen as I read.)

What did happen, I didn't expect at all. I found it eerie and full of suspense, which is all I need to keep me going. I also was totally fine with the ending, which was surprising to me.
Eileen Maki
This is my favorite John Saul novel. I love the mystery of wondering whether Nathaniel is a real person or not and then the horrific realization that he is a ... well, I won't spoil it for those who don't know. This is classic John Saul, suspenseful and wonderful with a touch of humanity and detailed descriptions of surroundings. Saul sets up his scenes so well, making the future events make perfect sense with what you already know!
Athena
I have been a John Saul fan forever. I have always enjoyed his style of writing. He knows how to place you where he wants you to be. It has been a few years since I've read something by him and when I finished I thought "Ooooo Mr. Saul you got me good" I was not expecting the ending even thoughI should have known better that it wasn't quite over. It was nice stepping back into his world and I enjoyed every moment of it.
Fasya
engaging,suspense and exciting plot.can't put this novel down even when there a sound of smash door in the midnight...no dull moment except fast and thrill.....i found myself want to know more and more and what's happening next.....the only regret i have now is why i haven't read this novel years ago...john saul is a fantastic story teller in par with other great novelist of all time....absolutly recommended......
Kishalynn Elliott
This certainly wasn't Saul's best book but there's no such thing as a bad or worst in my opinion. The end confused me a little but that didn't detract from my ability to enjoy the way Saul paints a picture that makes your skin crawl just right, without giving you nightmares. This story was fine for nighttime or beach reading.
The Manhattan Hun...: Nathaniel (Group Read - May/June 2012) 23 23 Jun 28, 2012 05:40PM
  • The Loveliest Dead
  • The Summoning
  • Soultaker
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • Body Rides
  • Stranger
  • In the Night Room
  • The Vision
  • Nightmare House (Harrow House, #1)
  • Weaveworld / Cabal
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he...more