Start by marking “Pippa Passes” as Want to Read:
Pippa Passes

Pippa Passes

Ever since the publication of Black Narcissus in 1939, Godden has been regarded as one of the finest and subtlest of writers. Introducing her work to a new generation of readers, this novel tells of the youngest new recruit to the Midland City Ballet who has been invited on the Italian tour. With poignancy and perception, Godden reveals a girl's unforeseen awakening to a c ...more
Published (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Pippa Passes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pippa Passes

Jenne
Jun 20, 2012 Jenne rated it it was ok

Well that was a weird little book. Really, it's almost exactly the same book as A Company of Swans but with bonus Evil Lesbian and approx 63% less charm.
Jane
“What immediately caught me were the small sketches in the margin, sketches of a water city I had dimly known of but had not visualised. here were domes, towers, pinnacles, arches, stone bridges, small stone-flagged alleyways – it seemed there was not one spacious street; glimpses of canals, big and little with boats, endless boats, barges, many of them long, graceful, elongated craft steered by a man standing on the stern with a single oar; sketches of markets on the canal banks, of a wide lago ...more
Mark McKenna
Apr 18, 2011 Mark McKenna rated it it was amazing
Rumer Godden, the author of "Pippa Passes," was a lovely British writer of a generation ago. Author of more than sixty novels, Godden was born in 1907, lived for a time in India, and had a ballet studio before starting her writing career. She died at the age of 90 on November 8, 1998, in England.

Pippa is Pippa Fane, a young dancer in the ballet corps taking her first trip -- to Venice -- with London's Midlands City Ballet. "Pippa Passes" was published in 1994 so Godden must have been in her mid-
Nan
Oct 02, 2010 Nan rated it liked it
A "coming-of-age" book that begins in innocence, only hinting at a darker future, and ends in the complexities of early adulthood, with a timeframe of about a week. It's also a reminder that danger and that which rescues us from danger can be closely related. The author uses a device I'd never noticed before--relating the thoughts of a character and then quoting another in what he/she would've said had the thoughts been spoken aloud. Clever way to let the reader in on things.
Kate
Sep 17, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ballet
Abrupt little tale that starts off seeming too old fashioned for its time period and then suddenly turns cynical. The characters are flat and unlikeable. However, it made me want to go to Venice and eat.
Ruby Hollyberry
Sep 11, 2010 Ruby Hollyberry rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
A minor novel of the author's - she has written many that are deeper and more amazing - but every note is in harmony. A ballerina novel, a coming-of-age novel, and a lovely visit to the Italy dreamers dream of.
Eleanor
Dec 03, 2016 Eleanor rated it it was ok
A long time ago in my distant youth, I used to enjoy Rumer Godden's books. So it was a great disappointment to read this one, which I had picked up in a secondhand bookshop somewhere. I found it dreadfully twee and pretty unbelievable in terms of a 17 year old new member of a ballet company turning into a star almost overnight. At the same time she's sweeping everyone she meets off their feet with her charm and beauty ... oh, and she's a wonderful singer too. Gosh!

I did manage to read to the end
Barb
Jul 17, 2012 Barb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seventeen-year-old Phillipa, “Pippa”, is a ballet dancer in a British troupe visiting Venice. Über-talented both in dance and voice, Pippa has led the sheltered life of a cloistered and protected performing arts student, so her first trip abroad, and to romantic Venice at that, finds her wide-eyed and naïve. She immediately encounters a handsome young gondolier, and falls deeply in love. He is attracted in turn, but his motivations are slightly different than purely romantic.

In the meantime, Pip
Linda
Oct 09, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
Phillipa Fane, 17, the youngest dancer in the Midlands City Ballet is chosen to go on an Italian tour. In Venice, she meets Nicolo, a young gondolier, and the family that employs him. When the Ballet Mistress, Angharad Fullerton, makes unwanted sexual advances to Pippa, it is to Nicolo and his employers that she turns for help. There is a lot here on the workings of a ballet company on tour; they danced at the Teatro La Fenice, the historic opera house that was in the news briefly in January '96 ...more
Ruth Seeley
I'd like to read some more Godden - there are some nice subtleties in this one relating to youth, coming of age, and finding one's way despite the not necessarily well-meaning intervention of one's elders. Sadly in this one I don't think she really comes to grip with any of the characters - the omniscient third-person narrator approach means we view Pippa from a distance and from the outside, and that's true of all the characters. It may be a case of telling, not showing - I'm not sure. Certainl ...more
Maggie
May 07, 2014 Maggie rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Carolyn
Jul 11, 2015 Carolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, realistic, ballet
Un petit roman about a young ballerina who goes to Venice and blossoms. Sweet and light. But pretty inconsequential.

If you are interested in reading Rumer Godden, an author of some renown although you don’t hear much about her these days, I highly (HIGHLY!!) recommend instead both “In This House of Brede” and “China Court” both of which are easy to obtain, in my experience, at any decent-sized used bookstore.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Pippa is startled to find herself chosen to dance with her ballet company on an international tour. While in Venice, she is selected to dance a special part designed with her in mind. She meets a handsome gondolier who hears her beautiful voice and decides she is perfect for his band.

A delightful lark of a story.

And I’ve had this book for a mere two years.
Arlene
May 02, 2013 Arlene rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
A coming of age novel with many lessons learned by Pippa as she embarks on her career as a ballerina in Venice.
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2008
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2008
Mary Frances
Mary Frances rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2010
Jacqueline Rhoades
Jacqueline Rhoades rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2012
David Mooney
David Mooney rated it really liked it
May 02, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Su-Lin Lye
Su-Lin Lye rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2010
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
May 30, 2013
Priya
Priya rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2011
Penelope Matheson
Penelope Matheson rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Christina Chavez
Christina Chavez rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2011
Mallory
Mallory rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Judi
Judi rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Isabel
Isabel rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Margaret Rumer Godden was born in Sussex, but grew up in India, in Narayanganj. Many of her 60 books are set in India. Black Narcissus was made into a famous movie with Deborah Kerr in 1947.

Godden wrote novels, poetry, plays, biographies, and books for children.

For more information, see the official website: Rumer Godden
More about Rumer Godden...