Start by marking “Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast” as Want to Read:
Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Features the Nebula Award-winning novella "Lost Girls."
In these modern myths and tales for the young and the young at hear, Jane Yolen transforms the impossible into the familiar and real. Among the outlandish wonders are an Alice grown tough in Wonderland, a dear--but dead--mother's homecoming, a bridge that longs for a goat-eating troll, and a mutiny among Peter Pan's t
Published March 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Sesana
A nice enough collection of middle grade short stories, without a common theme other than the genre (fantasy). I haven't read that much Jane Yolen, but usually like what I do read. The stories here were mostly decent enough, but not really memorable. I bet I would have eaten it up when I was in the target age group, though. There wasn't a truly bad story in the bunch, though Lost Girls just didn't do anything for me. I'd say the standout story in the collection was Mama Gone, an unusual vampire ...more
Danielle Palmer
Oct 20, 2016 Danielle Palmer rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. A few original stories, with a variety of themes, a couple of which were even a bit spooky! I liked the retellings the best, especially the retelling of Peter Pan and the one about Alice. Worth a look, but not too many "fairy" tales here
Shiloah
These were so much fun to read!! The only one I didn't like was the last one: Lost Girls. I didn't like her villainizing Peter Pan, I've always adored him growing up and even now.
Jill
I generally enjoy Jane Yolen. A couple of these were too vague, but most of them were fun and I love them.
E
Jan 18, 2017 E rated it liked it
Sonja Isaacson
This review is pretty much stolen from Emilie after she wrote a recap of the Book Club of Doom's April meeting wherein we talked about the stories in this collection. But, well, edited.

Tough Alice A modern day revisit to Wonderland. Most of our group appreciated the references and clever wordplay in this story, but felt that a lot was lost from the original tone of Alice in Wonderland when taking away the Victorian context. A bookend to the collection with Lost Girls, another re-telling of a cl
Ashley
Nov 02, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
Twelve Impossible things before Breakfast
Jane Yolen

In these twelve amazing short stories, you get to meet amazing characters in different stories. Are these stories for everyone? there a little scary, gross, interesting in ways you can't imagine. They bring back characters from your childhood like Alice, Peter Pan, and Captain Hook that are full with imagination that brings a twist in stories! These stories are off-the-wall that even children that normally don't read fantasy will enjoy!

Lost Gir
CatholicBibliophagist
Nov 08, 2012 CatholicBibliophagist rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2012
I enjoy reading short stories, so I picked this up as a way to sample Jane Yolen, an author I somehow missed out on. A nice collection of fantasy though I didn't care for the last story in the collection, "Lost Girls." It's the story of the lost girls in Neverland. Well, we all know that there are no girls in Neverland because, as Peter explains to Wendy in the original book, girls are to clever to fall out of their perambulators the way boys do, so they never get lost. But I was willing to susp ...more
Derek
Apr 28, 2014 Derek rated it liked it
This is a short story collection selected by THE (Amazing) BOOK CLUB OF DOOM as the April 2014 selection.

This is the perfect book to hand to a middle schooler who wants to try something different, but doesn't have a lot of time on their hands or isn't all that into reading. The stories are short, the ideas are interesting, and the writing is solid.

Almost every story has something to recommend it. An idea, a turn of phrase, an image, that made me go, "that's nice." But the whole thing doesn't ho
Cindy
Feb 19, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone, especially girls
Writer Jane Yolen is very versatile, and some of her things I've loved (Boots and the Seven Leaguers, Wizard Hall), some I've liked, (Armageddon Summer), and some were just okay (Girl in a Cage). But I grabbed this collection of short stories for my challenge knowing that I would be bound to like at least half the stories.

The title is a reference to Wonderland, and her first story is called "Tough Alice." That could be a theme too. Don't look for any helpless, passive girls here. Not all the sto
Judith
Aug 13, 2013 Judith rated it liked it
I enjoy short stories and I enjoy fantasy fiction, especially fantasy of the kind that Jane Yolen uses in this collection of short stories. Some of the stories came to the edge of too creepy and strange, but were always pulled back by Yolen's firm sense of the purpose of fantastical stories. I'm not generally one for vampire stories, but I was quite satisfied with the story 'Mama Gone', for instance. It is not quite a traditional vampire story, but it is non-traditional in the sense that it is m ...more
Melanti
Cute anthology geared towards the lower end of the Young Adult spectrum - though not quite middle grade.

There's some stand out stories that I loved and some that were rather forgettable, which is normal for this type of anthology, to be honest.

And once again, this book is riddled with OCR'd mistakes. I should not have to stare at a word wondering if that "d" is really "cl" or if the "m" is "rn" or "nn" was supposed to be "rm" - that last one took a bit of staring to figure out!

Seriously, publ
Brigitte
May 06, 2013 Brigitte rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I'd probably give it 3.5 overall. The stories were interesting and most were pretty good...just more cutesy than I was expecting. I liked the twists she put on classic tales and the author's notes after the stories. I'm very interested in the writing process and how each author approaches it differently.
Some of the stories were confusing, though, and others just plain odd. And some had darker themes that make me think it's not quite a children's book.
But I would be willing to read something diff
Carly
Apr 21, 2012 Carly rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun! None of the stories stood out as being particularly weak, and even though this was published in 1997 it doesn't feel out of date. Yolen is clever, and I really enjoyed her plays off of classic literature (not just Alice's Adventures, but also fairy tales and Peter Pan). A couple of stories also did a pretty decent job of creeping me out!

I'm not sure what age group she was writing for, but I get the sense it was probably early- to mid-teens (the ghost stories might freak ou
Jenny
May 31, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2013
All the stories in this collection are worth reading, but the best is certainly the last: "Lost Girls," which posits a version of Neverland in which all the girls who have wound up there are called "the Wendys" by Peter (who can't be bothered to remember their names). Dissatisfied with domesticity, the Lost Girls decide to go on strike. The story may upset whatever warm memories you have about Peter Pan, but it is a charming and cleverly-written tale that is fun in its own right but could also b ...more
Christine Bowles
Aug 18, 2011 Christine Bowles rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-book-shelf
Jane Yolen is one of those authors that I will automatically buy the book and not read it till years later. That's what happened with this one. Being a collection of short stories I kept putting it off as a book that I could pick up at any time and read in a day when I just needed something to do. I missed out! Once again Yolen presents us with incredibly different views of stories that we have grown up with, and the result is fantastic as usual! I can't wait to read these new versions of tales ...more
Debbie
Jan 02, 2008 Debbie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fairy tale fans
This collection of twelve short stories is an engaging mix of fairy tale and fantasy. My favorites were "Tough Alice" and "Mama Gone."
"Tough Alice" is kind of a what-happens-next extension of Alice in Wonderland where Alice needs to find her own strength instead of waiting for someone else to save her.

"Mama Gone" is a vampire story that is part creepy and part heart-warming. Give it a look and you'll see what I mean.
Rida
May 04, 2013 Rida rated it it was ok
The only reason this book even got a 2 stars is because I loved the stories "The Baby-Sitter", "Mama Gone", and "Bloundeer". In that order! Jeez I seriously hated this book I mean half the time it's like WTB (B for book lol) are you talking about! It takes a lot to please me and this book wasn't it Nah-uh no way! sigh well perhaps the next book I'm reading will be good! So read at your own risk! I mean I picked this book up with HIGH hopes! Yeah all hope shattered!
Jamie
May 08, 2009 Jamie rated it liked it
Before Jane Yolen wrote about dinosaurs going to bed, she wrote fantastical fiction. This collection of short stories is compiled of modern fairy tales. In general, a child faces an obstacle (a vampire mother, invading aliens, etc.) and summons up the courage to conquer it. There are a couple of stories that are rewritten with new perspectives -- The Billy Goats Gruff from the bridge's perspective or Alice returning to Wonderland. Happy endings, clever, and well-written.
Brynna
Aug 30, 2008 Brynna rated it it was ok
I really like Jane Yolen's longer work, but these did not show her off at her best. "The Winter King" is beautiful. "Tough Alice" is none too bad. "The Sea Dragon of Fife" is a great story, but the way it is told made it completely unbelievable for me. And good fantasy should be believable.
I don't trust the majority of these stories. Which is a shame.
Don't read more than one or two in a sitting.
Oct 01, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a collection of twelve short stories that basically amount to fanfic based on established fairytale universes. I especially enjoyed the following stories: Tough Alice, about a more experienced Alice's adventure in Wonderland; Sea Dragon of Fife, a tale of a Scottish fishing villager and the monster plaguing his village; Bolundeers, which is one of the most oddly touching ghost stories I've read; and Lost Girls, where Darla takes the character of Wendy in Peter Pan to a whole new level.
Lyz
Aug 20, 2008 Lyz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in Stoughton, killing some time, and thought the public library would be a good place to do so (even better, the public library backs up to a WONDERFUL smelling bakery!). I picked this book off the shelf because of the _Alice in Wonderland_ quote, and it turns out that was the very thing that inspired the author! Maybe I'll get off my historical fiction kick now, and just start reading young adult literature?
Douglas Summers-Stay
May 25, 2008 Douglas Summers-Stay rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Jane Yolen is uneven in quality. She has a good setup for her stories, and gets you into an interesting world with shining ideas, but doesn't always deliver a satisfying resolution. But the nice thing about short stories is even if one story leaves you feeling cheated, you don't feel cheated by very much.
Her darker stories are more powerful. I especially liked "Mama Gone."
Christian McKay
Feb 02, 2011 Christian McKay rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is worth reading for four reasons:

1. Mama Gone
2. Harlyn's Fairy
3. Sea Dragon of Fife
4. Lost Girls

The others are well-written, but never quite go anywhere. Although, I do have to tip my hat to Yolen for being able to construct a dozen complete adventures in so few pages.

If only those last eight had some gristle . . .
Summer
Not one of Yolen's better works. A few of the stories in here seem to be the same narrative with slightly different characters. Still, "Lost Girls" is a fine story, as are "Mama Gone" and "Wilding", so it's not a complete miss.

Strangely enough, all I could think of while reading this was, "I'll bet Connie Willis would have done a great job with this story." What's Connie Willis up to lately?
Joanna Brauckmann
Sep 15, 2013 Joanna Brauckmann rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A lovely collection of short stories from an author that most elementary school students will recognize. I love that readers can grow with Jane Yolen from pre-school through high school. These stories are engaging, spooky, with unexpected twists and turns! Great for the upper grades when looking at literary devices and making connections to schema.
Lynda
Jan 24, 2016 Lynda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This is a book of short stories which sounded interesting at the library. Now that it has been a few days, I don't remember what sounded interesting!
All of the stories were about the same to me. OK - but not great. They were all a little supernatural or magical. A lot were sad I thought.
All-in-all - didn't care for it at all.
Jo Oehrlein
Mar 24, 2013 Jo Oehrlein rated it liked it
I love the title and she has an intro that ties in some Carroll quotes.

There's a nice wrap-up at the end with some info on the various stories.

My favorites were the Alice sequel, the 3 billy goats gruff from the bridge's viewpoint, and the Peter Pan story. Not so fond of the spooky/scary ones with ghosts, vampires, and monsters.
*lexxiieebbyy* Gonzalez
this book is very good. at first i realized that the book is kinda based on alice im wonderland at the beginning and then towards the end, the story starts to change into it's own story. if you want to know more about this book or want to read it i belive that it is yellow 3. i had choosed this book because it was above my level, so i wanted to try something harder.
Christine
Jan 07, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids who like fantasy and grownups who need an escape from being grown up
Jane Yolen is a versatile author who, unfortunately, I missed out on as a kid. My favorite story in this anthology was the last one - "Lost Girls." I never read Peter Pan because the premise always turned me off and because (even as a kid), anything Disney touched made me vaguely sick. If I had children, I would read these stories before bedtime - I think they'd make good read-alouds.
  • Namesake, Volume 1
  • Gears of Wonderland
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • Martín & Meditations on the South Valley
  • Lewis Carroll in Numberland: His Fantastical Mathematical Logical Life
  • The Manufactured Crisis: Myths, Fraud, And The Attack On America's Public Schools
  • The Magic of Blood
  • In the Shadow of the Dreamchild: The Myth and Reality of Lewis Carroll
  • Escape from Wonderland
  • 13: Thirteen Stories That Capture the Agony and Ecstasy of Being Thirteen
  • Rethinking Columbus: The Next 500 Years: Resources for Teaching about the Impact of the Arrival of Columbus in the Americas
  • Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...