Start by marking “Water Music: Poems for Children” as Want to Read:
Water Music: Poems for Children

Water Music: Poems for Children

In pond, river, and ocean, as a solid, liquid, or gas, water is everywhere. But what does it evoke? What emotions are brought forth when we hear the crash of surf, see the rush of a stream, or feel the tickle of soap bubbles on our skin? In thoughtful poems, renowned author Jane Yolen takes a fresh look at water in all its forms, using photographer Jason Stemple's breathta ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by WordSong (first published October 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Water Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water Music

There are a lot of components of this book that would make it a good resource for elementary aged children. First of all, it is written and illustrated by a mother/son combo. That is an interesting aspect that can be discussed with the children. The book itself is full of beautiful photographs. When reading a poem to a class, the photograph can help the children to visualize what the poem is about. If doing a lesson on poetry writing, this book could be used to introduce different types of poetr ...more
Sydney West
Nov 29, 2015 Sydney West rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is a great book that focuses on the different types of water that we see all around the world. I would use this to teach students about the different types of poetry. I would also have them write their own poem about water.
Yolen has given us so many beautiful literary gifts, this lyrical work is absolutely breathtaking. The pages are small works of art and nicely complement the lovely words written thereon.
Audrey Schuman
Apr 26, 2014 Audrey Schuman added it
Shelves: poetry
This book had many different styles of poems about water in our environment. The poems were accompanied perfectly with beautiful photographs taken of water in nature by Jason Stemple. There were poems that were written in haiku form and other longer and shorter forms.
Paige Partlow
Oct 19, 2015 Paige Partlow added it
Shelves: poetry
This is a poetry book about water sounds found in nature. It could be used in music and science lessons.
Bridget R. Wilson
Jun 08, 2010 Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
In this collection of poetry, Yolen treats water in all its forms--indoor, outdoor, liquid, frozen, lakes, rivers, falls, oceans, rain showers, and water flora.

What I thought: A delightful collection. Stemple's photographs are magnificent. I wonder which came first, the poems or the photographs? I'm especially fond of the imagery Yolen uses in these poems. My favorites are "Water Jewels," Embroidery," "Observation," and "Tangle." I will definitely be reading more of Jane Yolen's poetry.
Ileana Lindner
Oct 16, 2012 Ileana Lindner rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Title: Water Music
Author: Jane Yolen
Grade: 1st and 2nd Grade

This science poetry book takes the time to explore many different types of water. This could be helpful to use in the water cycle lesson, or natural resources lesson. As a natural resource, this book really helps evoke the emotions that different bodies of water pull from us as human beings. It is an aesthetically pleasing approach to really taking the time to admire the wonders of water.
If these weren't by Jane Yolen, would they have even been published?
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Debbi  Tehrani
Debbi Tehrani rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Rebekah Choat
Rebekah Choat rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Keely marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Gina Watson-Haley
Gina Watson-Haley rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Pinckneyville Public Library
Pinckneyville Public Library rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Cara Rieckenberg
Cara Rieckenberg rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Tony Bradshaw
Tony Bradshaw rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Lesley Burnap
Lesley Burnap marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Beth Vredenburg
Beth Vredenburg rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Misty added it
Aug 21, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Mckinley rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Stefaan Van ryssen
Stefaan Van ryssen rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Katie added it
Jun 05, 2015
levi young ringener
levi young ringener marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Pamela Anneliese
Pamela Anneliese rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Jean Rowles
Jean Rowles marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...