Start by marking “Numbered Account” as Want to Read:
Numbered Account

Numbered Account

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,510 ratings  ·  97 reviews
A job he shouldn't have taken... A woman he shouldn't have loved... A secret he shouldn't expose...if he wants to live.

Nick Neumann had it all: a Harvard degree, a beautiful fiancée, a star-making Wall Street career. But behind the dazzling veneer of this golden boy is a man haunted by the brutal killing of his father seventeen years before.

Now chilling new evidence has im
Published December 1st 1998 by Dell Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Numbered Account, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Numbered Account

The Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim EdwardsWicked by Gregory MaguireThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Wall Bangers!
166th out of 549 books — 446 voters
The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom WolfeA Conspiracy of Paper by David LissThe Gods of Greenwich by Norb VonnegutBond Girl by Erin DuffyTrade Secrets by Holly Rozner
Trading Fiction
52nd out of 72 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

David
This novel has been around for awhile and a friend gave it to me to read and I'm glad he did. Mr. Reich has done a great job of plotting this novel with a strong emphasis on the military and the Swiss Bank. Don't let the banking theme turn you off, because this story is more than the boring debits and credits on a financial statement and Mr. Reich ensures that the reader becomes intrigued with the Swiss banking system.
The reader will find in the story Nicholas Neumann, a 28-year-old Harvard MBA
Jamie
Some people whine about the book being long, but that gives the story more depth. The setting is, for the most part, inside a Swiss Bank, United Swiss Bank, a soulless tomb where everyone is fake and consumed with greed and ambition. A tale of false promises for those willing to sell their soul for a job promotion. A tale of whores, drug smugglers, junkies and arms dealers with one guy, Nick Neumann, that follows in his Father's footsteps and does the right thing for the sake of doing the right ...more
Benjamin Thomas
This is one of those books that, if I had only gone by the cover blurb (or cover art) or even the plot summary here on Goodreads, I probably would have passed on by. It sounds like a million other thriller books out there and unless you are really into financial thrillers or have read Christopher Reich books before, you may have chosen to pass it by too.

But I'm so glad I took a chance! It wasn't without some reservation though, as this is not a small book; my paperback copy runs 753 pages. But t
Jay Connor
The cabin is always a good source for paperbacks long forgotten but fully enjoyed. Last year, I picked up an Asimov. This summer it was "Numbered Account" by Christopher Reich. The fun of the book -- and many of Reich's works -- lies in the oxymoronic world of high finance and international intrigue.

Though this was written in 1998, it feels very contemporary when set against the evil and avarice we have seen exposed in our financial markets. How much further afield would it be for Goldman Sachs
James
American banker joins swiss private bank to uncover the murderer of his father and very quickly finds himself in a morass of greedy bankers, criminal clients and general hi jinks.

I would give this book 3.5 stars based on my personal enjoyment of it as a private banker living in Switzerland. There are some really spot on observations about zurich with my favourite being when the protaganist wondered if there was some kind of curfew no-one had told him about. The author clearly used his past bank
Jim
I have a friend who swears this book is great. I've tried reading it twice and haven't been able to get through it (which is exceedingly odd, considering that I normally finish even bad books to find out what happens.) I dunno... I can't quite decide if I just find it boring or it takes too long to develop.
Can only give this book 3 stars because it's sooooo slow. Cut out 400 pages and the book would be excellent. Storyline is exciting once it got going but there's just too much waffle.
Lynn
Numbered Account is Christopher Reich's first book. It is the story of Nick Neumann who goes to work at a Swiss bank to see if he can uncover clues related to the murder of his father who was an executive at the same bank. Money laundering, conspiracies, and the inner workings of the renowned Swiss banks make this an interesting thriller. My only criticism is that the book was overly long, dragging in the middle. The pace has been tightened up in subsequent Reich books, giving that racing out of ...more
Mark Fox
As an ex-banker Reich took heed of that well worn aphorism 'write what you know'. Swiss banking is, in its essence, as boring as an accounting lecture. Set against this droll backdrop Reich is right up against it in terms of delivering an entertaining book for we the readers, let alone crafting a thriller that glues us to the slippery edge of our seats. And he almost delivers.

At times this book is entertaining. The pace and the intrigue, the theme, character and motivations all work in synch fo
Anna
A hefty book, I chose it because I needed something to read while on a brief vacation. Though it starts out with a murder, it was difficult to get into because the setting is in Switzerland and most of the action takes place in a fictional Swiss Bank. The protagonist, Neumann, comes to Switzerland to discover who murdered his father many years earlier. He is hired by the bank’s manager and soon becomes involved with the bank's machinations. The goal of the bank is to maintain the secrecy of its ...more
Jason
As an author's first novel this is a very good book. The characters seem genuine, and the script and knowledge required for it is of good quality. I picked this up because I was interested in (and didn't know much about) economics, finance, the stock market, etc., and I thought the book would be an interesting read because of it, and it was.

The character relationships are good, and there is good drama.
Joan
This was a thriller that kept me reading when I should have been doing other things. Apart from the search by Nick to discover who, why and how about his fathers death it covered the ingenuity of a drug and arms dealer, the zealousness of a religious fanatic and the rot in a respected banking system. The intrigues and betrayals were many, the characters very human and many flawed.
Carol
A young man is about to embark upon a Wall Street career, having all the necessary degrees, when, on his mother's death, he finds his late father's diaries and begins to suspect that the father's murder was not random but may have been connected to his job as an employee of a Swiss bank. The young man obtains a job at the same bank in Zurich and investigates his father's last contacts. Reich moves his thriller along into a crescendo, plotting well, depicting the bank's employees as so many self- ...more
February Four
I'm surprised at how long this one was. Even considering it was a pretty sprawling story, it was still a hefty book that took a while for me to get through. All the same, nice, everyone gets their just desserts, etc.
Emily
Aug 12, 2010 Emily rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
A decent book, but there's just too much of it. Reich tries to pace this thriller about an American working for a corrupt Swiss bank by using an upcoming shareholder meeting as a ticking clock. Will the protagonist be able to unravel the bank's connection to a Middle Eastern drug lord and solve the mystery of his father's murder before the bank suffers a hostile takeover? It seems like the shareholder meeting device should work, but the book sags for a few hundred pages in the middle (hence 2 st ...more
Elyse
Great start for his first novel. Long, but thorough in its narrative complexity. Not overly tedious for anyone unfamiliar with banking and finance as business sectors.

A special treat that I could picture the Bahnhofplatz in Zurich and the ascent to Gotthard Pass, having recently visited Switzerland!
Craig Buck
A fine thriller from a writer with an eye for detail and an intricate knowledge of the Swiss banking system. Unfortunately, the plot is so finely woven that the elements become inevitable and thus predictable in the third act. But the pace never lets up and the characters are not without interest.
Melody Benz
Non-stop intrigue. When I finished this book I simply had to have More! sooo, that led to the next book Mr. Reich penned. He became my 2013 winter passion.
Martin
Hmm. A friend of mine's making a movie of this book so I picked it up. I can't recall ever reading flatter characters nor come across more cliché character names. (The two bank presidents are named Kaiser and König. Sheesh). OK, the villain is reeeealy evil and should be played by Ben Kingsley. But the hero, Neumann (duh), should be played by Ryan Seacrest.

You need a macheté to read this thing. But if the plot's the thing, Numbered Account's a fun ride and could be a decent movie if treated by a
Nicole
Although I enjoyed this novel, it took me almost two months to finish. Way too long for me. The characters and story line/s were interesting - but at times it just did not hold my attention as it should have, and I have not idea why....maybe it was the holidays and my growing list of TO DO items, maybe it was the fact that I am no financial wizard - so some of the terminology was new to me.... regardless I was torn as to the number of stars to give this novel - Ive gone between 3 - 4 during the ...more
Charlene Gordon
Good book! Read this I'm 2001.
Randy
I bought this book on the strength of the search engine recommendations made by a bookseller I frequent, ("People who bought these books also liked....").

Having done so before, I was thrilled to get another possible goodread. Much to my chagrin, I'm sorry to say that I will never read another Reich novel. The characters were simply not believeable, the plot thin, the blah blah blah. What an awful book and what a terrible writer. There are simply far too many really good authors out there to wast
Shanyn
One of my favorites.
Joni Daniels
This is a gripping thriller that is fast paced albeit long. I learned a lot about Switzerland as well as the mysterious world of Swiss banking I will admit that once or twice I checked to see how much longer I had to go to the end. Not because it was dull but because I kept thinking I was at the end - but the story takes turn followed by twist and the plot goes deeper and the characters kept me guessing. Some of the reveals had me actually saying "oh go" out loud! THAT doesn't happen very often! ...more
Robert
This is not a very good book for me. Intricate plotting does not instantly a good thriller make. I like to be taken along for the ride so this is rare where I can figure out the hidden secrets way before they are exposed. The story is not immersive. No one is very likable. It's too long by half. the title should have been a tip-off: It really is about as interesting as numbered accounts and private banking. Grisham et al do this exponentially better.
who the heck suggested this to me?!
Julie
After the first couple of paragraphs, I thought I'd read this before but it had been so long that I didn't remember details. By the time I finished, I wasn't so sure. Either way, this is a good read.

This book is not very fast-paced. There isn't a lot of suspense and there aren't a lot of surprises. In spite of that, I like it for its psychological aspects and the look inside Swiss banking, numbered accounts and the brutal drug trade.
Denise
Reich's thrillers have become some of my favorite in the genre. This one, set in Switzerland, combines drug smuggling, money laundering, illegal arms trading, with the Swiss banking industry. Throw in a young man trying to solve his father's murder, some love interest and it makes for a suspenseful thriller. The version I listened to was narrated by George Guidall, excellent as usual.
Darren
Reich's first. American Nick takes a job with the Swiss bank that his father worked for so that he can find out what got his father killed 20 years ago. The DEA wants Nick's help to bring down a drug dealer, but Nick can't help until he solves his father's murder. The excitement starts building early and there are enough turns along the way to make it interesting.
Patrick
Apr 14, 2009 Patrick rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Patrick by: cogit@ludicrum.org
A good summer (or spring break) read that exposes some of the seamier side of Swiss banking. I lived in Zurich for a few years and worked in the world of private banking, and so enjoyed the references to that business and to the setting. There is some hyperbole, and he gets a few things not quite right about Swiss society, but I would recommend it nonetheless.
Geoffrey
I had heard about Mr Reich's works, so I thought I'd give this first novel of his a try.
While it was interesting in parts, I wasn't overjoyed with it. It wasn't that quick of a read and to me there was some mixing up of character attributes near the end that just didn't make sense.
Nevertheless, I like his style and will read another book of his.
Conflict Action T...: Numbered Account by Christopher Reich 1 3 Apr 08, 2013 09:38AM
  • The Takeover
  • Free to Trade
  • Day Of Confession
  • The Eighth Day
  • The Hit List
  • A Firing Offense
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Trevayne
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • The Last Spymaster
  • A Spy's Life
  • Extreme Justice (Ben Kincaid, #7)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • The Last Hostage
  • Shoveling Smoke
He was born in Tokyo and moved to Los Angeles in 1965. He attended Georgetown University and the University of Texas and worked in Switzerland before returning to the United States to become an author. He lives in San Diego and is the author of seven novels. He has a wife and 2 kids. His father is Willy Wolfgang Reich

"A relentlessly fast-paced espionage thriller, ripped from tomorrow's headlines b
More about Christopher Reich...
Rules of Deception Rules of Vengeance The Runner Rules of Betrayal The First Billion