Start by marking “The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #4)

The Law of Becoming (Jaran #4)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This fourth novel in Kate Elliott's richly detailed and compelling series about the Jaran skillfully weaves together many new strands in this worlds-spanning tale of conquest and rebellion. Full of unexpected plot twists and political machinations, romance and warfare, it is an epic that will strongly appeal to today's readers.
Published October 1st 1994 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Law of Becoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Law of Becoming

To me, this is where the story really got good again. Some Jaran have left Rhui and we spend time with them on Earth. The fascinating part is how their matriarchal society and intense "barbarian" pride gives the Jaran an entree into the phenomenally complex hierarchical society of the Chapaali. The "evolved" humans of Earth have committed political suicide and they don't even know it... fascinating! This book leaves one hanging, but Elliott has not even committed to a timeline for revisiting thi ...more
Blake
This is the 3rd book of The Sword of Heaven trilogy and the 4th of the Jaran books. This is the book that most closely examines the nature between human/alien and Jaran/Khaja with the aliens coming out as the most sympathetic over all.
Every relationship built over the last three books is put to the test and destroyed or renewed in a complicated web that is hard to describe unless you also have a statue of Shiva dancing the universe hanging around your palace. I don't so here is the major list o
Janet
I've often enjoyed books with far-flung characters and shifting p.o.v.'s, but I'm not interested enough in the "second generation" characters to keep plowing through this book. I can't fault Elliott's characterizations of young people in various difficult circumstances, but I no more want to spend reading time with them than I would want spend time with them in real life. And I've never been able to muster any real reason to care about Earth breaking free of the Chapdalli (sp?) Empire. Not when ...more
Fayley
Some time in the distant future the Jaran exist in a technologically basic world that is interdicted from the rest of the human galactic civilization. They are part of the Duke's plan for resistance to the Chapalli. While this is the basic setting, the main story follows several of the Jaran.

I went into this story with no expectations as I had picked it up in a discount book sale. The cover didn't look promising, the blurb was so-so and I'd never heard of the author. What a find!

A complete cultu
Li
Very much not what I was expecting as the final book of the Jaran series - still absorbing, but very different to the previous three. Also concluded with several threads left hanging, and as a result, I'm not entirely convinced by the overall direction of the plot.
Shannon  Duran
I started out not liking this series very much but really enjoyed reading about the struggle of conquest. Overall the books were okay, I will probably not read them again but I don't regret spending the time and money to read this famous series. When these novels first came out I am sure they were ground breaking at the time. They seem a bit old fashioned now. I normally don't like sci-fi very much I enjoy straight fantasy more. So these books were a bit of a reach for me but not bad since I did ...more
The series was one book too long, and the ending was abrupt.
Dani
I realize her reasons why she never wrote another book of the Jaran series and just left it hanging but... really? How can you leave a story unfinished. It bothers me. Even a 400 page quick ending, at least that's something. Instead were left with nothing. It is both annoying and disappointing.
I'm ambivalent about this final book in the series. Things are wrapped up, and yet not wrapped up. I'd recommend the series to anyone who likes long winded fantasy novels, despite this technically being SF.
Kathleen
This series was awesome, I was totally absorbed by it, and loved escaping to Rhui and the future every night. Kate Elliot is an excellent writer, great characters and world building.
Deb McFerrin
Slow in getting started, but well worth slogging through the first few chapters! Ms. Elliott finizhes the saga in an unexpected fashion that is very believable and feels right.
Emily
Loved the first and third books in this series but was a little disappointed by how this one ended - not enough wrap up.
Still, interesting mix of barbarian nomads and aliens.
Vicki
The follow ups to Jaran weren't as well read. Sigh.
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Margit Kelley
Margit Kelley is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
Shirley Stenerson
Shirley Stenerson marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • Metallic Love (Silver Metal Lover, #2)
  • Book of Iron
  • City of Pearl (Wess'har Wars, #1)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • A Rope of Thorns (Hexslinger, #2)
  • Hunting Monsters
  • Scale-Bright
  • Dirty Wings (Metamorphoses, #2)
  • The Touchstone Trilogy
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • Phantazein
  • The Bread We Eat in Dreams
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • Hellburner (Company Wars, #5)
  • Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales
  • Sand and Ruin and Gold
  • Two-Bit Heroes (Ivory, #2)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely
More about Kate Elliott...
King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1) Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2) Cold Magic (Spiritwalker, #1) The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3) Cold Fire (Spiritwalker, #2)