Start by marking “The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #4)

The Law of Becoming (Jaran #4)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  530 ratings  ·  19 reviews
This fourth novel in Kate Elliott's richly detailed and compelling series about the Jaran skillfully weaves together many new strands in this worlds-spanning tale of conquest and rebellion. Full of unexpected plot twists and political machinations, romance and warfare, it is an epic that will strongly appeal to today's readers.
Published October 1st 1994 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Law of Becoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Law of Becoming

Blake
This is the 3rd book of The Sword of Heaven trilogy and the 4th of the Jaran books. This is the book that most closely examines the nature between human/alien and Jaran/Khaja with the aliens coming out as the most sympathetic over all.
Every relationship built over the last three books is put to the test and destroyed or renewed in a complicated web that is hard to describe unless you also have a statue of Shiva dancing the universe hanging around your palace. I don't so here is the major list o
g
This last volume elevates this series from good to exceptional. Kate Elliott created wonderful characters and a nuanced world (her gender dynamics alone are breathtaking) in the previous three installations, but she finally advances the plot in meaningful ways in this book. (At least in her earlier works, Elliott sometimes neglects plot, surrendering it to the whims of an impulsive character who bumbles about with little rhyme or reason.) Many of the major characters grow in profound ways as exp ...more
To me, this is where the story really got good again. Some Jaran have left Rhui and we spend time with them on Earth. The fascinating part is how their matriarchal society and intense "barbarian" pride gives the Jaran an entree into the phenomenally complex hierarchical society of the Chapaali. The "evolved" humans of Earth have committed political suicide and they don't even know it... fascinating! This book leaves one hanging, but Elliott has not even committed to a timeline for revisiting thi ...more
Fence
The closer I got to the end of this book the slower I found myself reading. I just didn’t want it to end. First of all it is the final published book in the Jaran series, and I didn’t want to leave that ‘verse. But also, the series itself isn’t finished, as Elliott explains on her blog, it may never be finished. I hope it will. I love and adore this series. And I can understand that knowing it is unfinished probably puts people off starting it, but the more people that read it the more likely it ...more
Janet
I've often enjoyed books with far-flung characters and shifting p.o.v.'s, but I'm not interested enough in the "second generation" characters to keep plowing through this book. I can't fault Elliott's characterizations of young people in various difficult circumstances, but I no more want to spend reading time with them than I would want spend time with them in real life. And I've never been able to muster any real reason to care about Earth breaking free of the Chapdalli (sp?) Empire. Not when ...more
Fayley
Some time in the distant future the Jaran exist in a technologically basic world that is interdicted from the rest of the human galactic civilization. They are part of the Duke's plan for resistance to the Chapalli. While this is the basic setting, the main story follows several of the Jaran.

I went into this story with no expectations as I had picked it up in a discount book sale. The cover didn't look promising, the blurb was so-so and I'd never heard of the author. What a find!

A complete cultu
Mjwarner5
This is definitely the slowest starting of the four Jaran books, however I loved the additional plot twists as the book went on. The only true negative thing I can say is that the book ends before the story reaches a climax- hopefully there are more Jaran books to come!
Li
Very much not what I was expecting as the final book of the Jaran series - still absorbing, but very different to the previous three. Also concluded with several threads left hanging, and as a result, I'm not entirely convinced by the overall direction of the plot.
Rachel
Can't believe there aren't more books in the series. :( Please everyone go out and buy (and read!) the Jaran novels so there will be good incentive for publishers to ask Kate Elliott to finish up the series.
Joy
Like most of the books in this series, started out kind of slow and then got really interesting. Lots of loose strings left hanging for the end of a series, though.
Sheppard
It took a while to warm up to this series, buy by this 4th and final book I felt a strong connection. I am really surprised after all the build up she had to bridge the future tech and the backward civilization on Jaran, that she decided to walk away from the series. The real knotty problems and conflicts were just beginning to shed some real power and would have provided an exceptional canvas for some fairly complex story telling. Maybe she needed a break, but I feel that she left this canvas w ...more
Shannon  Duran
I started out not liking this series very much but really enjoyed reading about the struggle of conquest. Overall the books were okay, I will probably not read them again but I don't regret spending the time and money to read this famous series. When these novels first came out I am sure they were ground breaking at the time. They seem a bit old fashioned now. I normally don't like sci-fi very much I enjoy straight fantasy more. So these books were a bit of a reach for me but not bad since I did ...more
The series was one book too long, and the ending was abrupt.
Dani
I realize her reasons why she never wrote another book of the Jaran series and just left it hanging but... really? How can you leave a story unfinished. It bothers me. Even a 400 page quick ending, at least that's something. Instead were left with nothing. It is both annoying and disappointing.
I'm ambivalent about this final book in the series. Things are wrapped up, and yet not wrapped up. I'd recommend the series to anyone who likes long winded fantasy novels, despite this technically being SF.
Kathleen
This series was awesome, I was totally absorbed by it, and loved escaping to Rhui and the future every night. Kate Elliot is an excellent writer, great characters and world building.
Deb McFerrin
Slow in getting started, but well worth slogging through the first few chapters! Ms. Elliott finizhes the saga in an unexpected fashion that is very believable and feels right.
Emily
Loved the first and third books in this series but was a little disappointed by how this one ended - not enough wrap up.
Still, interesting mix of barbarian nomads and aliens.
Vicki
The follow ups to Jaran weren't as well read. Sigh.
Hanna Soltow
Hanna Soltow is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2015
Michael Kahn
Michael Kahn marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Karise
Karise added it
Aug 20, 2015
Izzie
Izzie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Raezang
Raezang marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
jamie
jamie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
  • The Turn of the Story
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)
  • Reign of Beasts (Creature Court, #3)
  • Metallic Love (Silver Metal Lover, #2)
  • The Touchstone Trilogy
  • Stranger (The Change, #1)
  • Dark Ascension (Generation V, #4)
  • Fortune's Wheel (Sholan Alliance, #2)
  • Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales
  • Book of Iron
  • A Rope of Thorns (Hexslinger, #2)
  • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
  • Dirty Wings (Metamorphoses, #2)
  • Rolling in the Deep
  • Wyvern (Elfhome, #0.5)
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • The Palace (Saint-Germain, #2)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely
More about Kate Elliott...

Jaran (4 books)
  • Jaran (Jaran, #1)
  • An Earthly Crown (Jaran, #2)
  • His Conquering Sword (Jaran, #3)
King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1) Cold Magic (Spiritwalker, #1) Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2) The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3) Cold Fire (Spiritwalker, #2)