Start by marking “Whitegirl” as Want to Read:

I was not always a white girl. I used to be just Charlotte. A person named Charlotte Halsey. But when I met Milo, when I fell in love with him, I became White, like a lit light bulb is white. In the mirror there is my skin the color of sand, hair the color of butter, eyes blue as seawater. Just so bleachy white I am practically clear.

Milo is black, what they call “Black,”
Published May 27th 2003 by Delta (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Whitegirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whitegirl

Tuesday by David WiesnerTempted by P.C. CastUntamed by P.C. CastTrapped by Michael NorthropWonder by R.J. Palacio
One Word Titles - S through Z
127th out of 157 books — 7 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisTwilight by Stephenie MeyerWhite Fang by Jack LondonGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
Light and Dark, Black and White
466th out of 475 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 26, 2013 Patty rated it really liked it
OK, this book was a doozy. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but Goodreads suggested Kate Manning to me based on other stuff I had read. And I will be reading more of Kate Manning. She took on the very prickly and personal subject matter of interracial relationships with discomfiting aplomb. Not too preachy, but not letting you off the hook, either. And the characters all seem so plausible. The ending is killing me!
Mar 25, 2014 Christa rated it liked it
I picked up this book because I absolutely loved Kate Manning's second novel, My Notorious Life. I read a few sample pages of this and was hooked quickly, though it really was the synopsis of it that made me want to read it in the first place.

The book's described almost like a fictional telling of the O.J. Simpson/Nicole Brown story. The narrator is Charlotte, a beautiful young woman (yes, per the title, she's white) who's been taught to rely on her looks as her only hook. But the book isn't rea
Mar 25, 2008 Steph rated it really liked it
Shelves: angst
what to say about this book. i picked it up with shelly at random at daltons in the valley which was closing down and having a crazy sale.
i thought about this book for a long time after i read it and it still comes to mind a lot. i think what's so upsetting about this work is how it honestly grapples with the fact that no matter the best intentions, race continues to color one's every interaction and thought in some way.
the book itself isn't written amazingly, and the ending is unsatisfyingly
Jul 08, 2012 Novella rated it liked it
Loved this book and all that I learned about racial couple stereotypes. Some of what I learned and the experiences shared by the couple of how people treated them absolutely shocked me. I have grown up and lived my life not judging by skin color, religion, sexual orientation, etc. It is simply not my place or nature to judge--never has been. Sometimes though, I am naive enough to believe or don't think about the fact that many others don't operate on the same premise. This was an excellent read ...more
Jun 04, 2009 Roxanne rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because Sara Nelson, the author of So Many Books, So Little Time, loved it. It sat around on my To Read shelf for years, and I wish I'd read it sooner. This novel was terrific. Manning really captures this character, how she feels, how she thinks (or doesn't think). It was captivating and exquisite, a story of race and beauty and love and betrayal and recovering from violence. It floored me and I can't stop thinking about the ending. Highly recommended.
Oct 18, 2015 Wyma rated it really liked it
I was living near Los Angeles when OJ Simpson's drive through side streets and highways was shown on television for a tense couple of hours. I remember the trite conclusions that many drew - blonde wife killed by jealous famous black athlete husband. Whitegirl hearkens to those memories but the story is very different.

"I was not always a white girl. I used to be just Charlotte. A person named Charlotte Halsey. But when I met Milo, when I fell in love with him, I became White, like a lit light b
Cathryn Conroy
Sep 15, 2015 Cathryn Conroy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Authentic. That is the best description I can give of this book that begins with these riveting sentences: "I was not always a white girl. I used to be just Charlotte. A person named Charlotte Halsey. But when I met Milo, when I fell in love with him, I became White, like a lit lightbulb is white."

In some ways, this is the classic "boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, boy and girl get married, and live happily..." well, not quite ever after. Because Charlotte is White. And Milo is Black.
Gina Marcelin
Oct 12, 2012 Gina Marcelin rated it really liked it
The story of OJ and Nicole. Only the names have been changed.
The white wife of a popular Black athlete and movie star wakes up from a coma and cannot remember what happened. Did her husband really do this to her?
Read this story and tell me what you think.
Aug 09, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
I can't even adequately describe this book so I will merely say it is a Must Read. I didn't give it five stars because I felt like the author left me hanging at the end a bit, but other than that it was riveting.
Niknesha Q. Hairston
I think the book was great. It gave a new perspective about interracial relationships and true love. This book kept me very interested I had to know the ending.
Kelsey Burnette
Dec 31, 2014 Kelsey Burnette rated it really liked it
Can't believe I just discovered this book. Kate Manning is unbelievable. I've read two of her books now. Completely different stories but the same in that they are beautifully written and unflinching in her willingness to take on seemingly impossible themes--in this one, race--in the other, women's reproductive rights. Topics most of us are unwilling to explore publicly, she embraces in such a straight-forward, honest, thought-provoking way. Whitegirl and My Notorious Life would both make excell ...more
Mar 15, 2015 Rina rated it liked it
I liked the concept of this story but must say it didn't work as well as I think it should have. The characters were a bit insipid but I will chalk that up to the time period involved.
Jan 24, 2016 Jool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book started to drag towards the middle but I slogged through and it turned into an interesting journey with the characters. Well written.
Jun 30, 2014 Jean rated it it was amazing
Loved this story- didn't know where it was heading so I couldn't put it down!
Dec 27, 2013 Diana rated it it was amazing
A compelling read. I loved this story. Puts us in the center of violence and gives us the play by play--years of what led up to a horrific attack.

I liked how it's told from one character's POV but you are given enough information to make up your mind about the facts but never confirmed on your beliefs.

I read a lot about it being likened to the OJ and Nicole Brown Simpson history but I could look at it outside of that. In fact, I felt like this gave me some perspective that I didn't have when the
Apr 02, 2016 JoAnn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, nook-book
3.5 stars, even tho a bit disappointed by ending. Great story teller. Look forward to more by Kate Manning.
Effie Samios
Mar 04, 2014 Effie Samios rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I couldn't put the book down. Wonderfully written.
Mar 17, 2008 Valerie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Renee Nocker
Dec 30, 2014 Renee Nocker rated it really liked it
Very well written and very thought provoking - about interracial relationships and stereotypes. Read this because I loved My Notorious Life by Kate Manning. Was surprised at her range of topics!
Bobbie Williams
Feb 27, 2015 Bobbie Williams rated it really liked it
Charlotte’s voice – with wit, with honesty, and a kind heart – tells a compelling story of a woman’s evaporating innocence and search for clarity.
Jan 26, 2015 Rochelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Great book
Oct 26, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
I like Kate Manning's writing style. This book starts with the end and goes back to the start. A different trick. Today, I don't think people in this situation would have the same problems as say back in the 80's, as this story is set. I would certainly hope I'm right. An interracial couple struggling through prejudice, marriage and celebrity and perhaps betrayal. A good read, I thought.
Dec 04, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
It has been a long time since I read a book that completely had me hooked from the beginning to the end. After reading some of the reviews, a lot of people compare this to the OJ/Nicole scenario, which I did not even consider as I read the book. This book posed a lot of interesting questions on race/ mixed marriages and societies views on them, particularly in the 80's.
Titi Meche
Jan 17, 2014 Titi Meche rated it did not like it
Did not like how the ending was left up in the air. Up to your imagination/investigation as to who assaulted her.
May 28, 2009 Amber rated it it was ok
I read this book after reading about it in a book about books. How's that for a sentence? The author talked about how she stayed up all night reading it, which is shocking to me. It had some interesting parts about interracial marriage but it dragged on forever and the ending was horrible. Pretty disappointing.
Oct 10, 2016 Aksana rated it really liked it
I was disappointed by the ending. The author introduced the events at the end of the book in the very beginning and the whole book was leading up to those events, but the book just dropped off. I love her writing style--her descriptions and how she writes the thoughts of characters.
Dec 25, 2008 Callie rated it liked it
I wanted to read this b/c it's about a mixed race marriage..Of course it's between a model and a famous athlete so not really like my marriage at all--maybe it was based on the OJ Simpson story.
Oct 28, 2009 Lindsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have wanted to read this for so long, but when it came down to it, I couldn't even finish it, and that NEVER happens. I think it may have just been the wrong time though, so I'll try again.
Feb 28, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting and thought provoking book on interracial dating. There is definitely a OJ/Nicole vibe but its not their story. I found the characters very human and complex.
Nora Winslow
Dec 01, 2013 Nora Winslow rated it liked it
I would have given it four stars if it weren't for the totally unsatisfying ending.
  • Daily Candy A to Z: An Insider's Guide to the Sweet Life
  • Spin Cycle
  • Facing the Wind: A True Story of Tragedy and Reconciliation
  • Lost for Words
  • Let's Be Jolly! (2-in-1)
  • Relational Judaism: Using the Power of Relationships to Transform the Jewish Community
  • Any Man of Mine
  • Irresistible?
  • Soul Kiss
  • Learning to Fly
  • Apparition & Late Fictions
A former documentary television producer (for WNET-13, where she won two Emmy Awards), Kate Manning would rather read than watch TV. She has written for The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Guardian, The Los Angeles Times, Glamour, and More magazine. She has taught writing at Bard High School Early College. She lives with her family in New York City. You can read Chapter One of MY NOTORIOU ...more
More about Kate Manning...

“Because I couldn't trust anything, especially not myself. How could I be lying there next to him with these snakes of doubt worming around in my heart? It was not honest.” 2 likes