Start by marking “Proof, The Great Awakenings 1857-1858” as Want to Read:
Proof, The Great Awakenings 1857-1858

Proof, The Great Awakenings 1857-1858 (The Great Awakenings #1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  188 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
When Harrison Shaw, a younge aspiring attorney,wins the coveted internship to celebrated New York attorney J.K.Jarvis he thinks his future is set. But when unsettling truths come to light, Harrison is forced to choose between success and his Christian faith.
Published by Howard Fiction (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Proof, The Great Awakenings 1857-1858, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proof, The Great Awakenings 1857-1858

Callie
Feb 02, 2016 Callie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book piqued my interest because it is part of a historical fiction series that addresses the Great Awakenings, which are historical events that are so inspiring but neglected. The story was just cute, with a touch of courtroom drama - and I always enjoy that. Woven into this story are many true stories from the Great Awakening that happened in the 1850's. It was masterfully done, and the writing is wonderful. I loved the characters, and it made me interested in learning more about all the h ...more
Lisa Lewis
Proof is a story of finding first love and the spiritual awakening in New York City during the years 1857-1878. Perseverance and faith are the key themes within the pages of this delightful Christian novel.

Harrison Shaw is a young lawyer who must choose between being "the chosen one" of J.K. Jarvis, the most successful lawyer in New York City and doing the right thing. He is selected to be Jarvis's intern, even though he's the underdog for the position. When he learns of Jarvis's true nature, he
Katrina Burchett
Harrison Quincy Shaw had very little, but his lack of money and material things didn't stop him from giving to others. He cared so much about the less fortunate that even impending danger couldn't keep him from helping them in times of need.
Harrison had a heart for people - one woman, in particular. He also had a heart for God, which was why this man, inexperienced in his chosen profession, was determined to give his all as the defense lawyer when J.K. Jarves, a powerful prosecutor who would st
Leisha Shaver
Feb 28, 2014 Leisha Shaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters; storyline moves quickly illuminating the spiritual and social climate of NYC in 1857-1858; compelling courtroom drama.
Ruth
Oct 23, 2014 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a young lawyer in 1857 who has to defend Christianity. New York's most powerful attorney's daughter becomes a Christian, and as a result he sues a church and Christianity as a whole. As part of the church's defense, they must produce the Holy Spirit as a witness.

I really enjoyed this book. The attorney's daughter is one of the heroines that makes me want to go have some adventures or something. The book also has a number of twists and turns that make the book hard to put down.
Deb
This was an okay book, with some good writing, and an interesting if somewhat confused plot. I laughed out loud more than once, which was a surprise from a book of this sort. The characters and story line occasionally suffered identity crisis.

Most memorable line in the book: "I scrubs."
Leticia Hulse
Aug 22, 2013 Leticia Hulse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like books that don't end the way you think, but this one tells you the end in the first few pages. But I really enjoyed the path from beginning to see how that would reach the end I knew was coming.
Katie
Sep 27, 2012 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this historical fiction because of the characters. Very unique personalities drove this story, and I kind of wish I'd thought of them first!
Lisa
Dec 22, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Cavanaugh is one of my favorite authors. This wasn't my favorite of his books, but I still really liked it and want to read the rest in the series.
Debbie
Nov 19, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Love this series! I learned alot about this period in history from this book. Keeps the reader totally engrossed to the very end.
Cari Griffith
This was a fairly quick read. Interesting in the historical aspect. Fairly simple and predictable storyline, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Shirley
Jul 12, 2012 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. Christian Fiction. A young lawyer has to prove the Holy Spirit exists in order to win the hand of his beloved.
Richard Coller
Mar 03, 2011 Richard Coller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great historical fiction that teaches the era facts with a believable and captivating story.
Melanie
another darkish thriller. Holy Spirit is put on trial during a revival.
Rebecca
Oct 07, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Vivid, witty & inspiring!
Elaine
Oct 31, 2009 Elaine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Great Awakenings series
Carol Horton
Apr 21, 2013 Carol Horton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bright
Too much revival and not enough faith.
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Shellie
Shellie marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Celestial
Celestial marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Joy
Joy added it
Jan 16, 2016
Jan MacInnis
Jan MacInnis rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Shanna
Shanna marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Marscha Brown
Marscha Brown marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
  • Above All Earthly Powers
  • Angel of Wrath
  • Blinded
  • The Trial
  • Rolling Thunder (The Truth Chasers Series #1)
  • Treasure of Stonewycke (The Stonewycke Legacy, #3)
  • Dying Declaration
  • Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2)
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • Uncharted
  • Battle Ready: Prepare to Be Used by God (Bold Man Of God, #1)
  • The Eyes of Texas: Lone Star Legacy, Book 3
  • Mark of the Cross
William R. "Bill" Bright was an American evangelist. The founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, he wrote The Four Spiritual Laws in 1952 and produced the Jesus Film in 1979.
More about Bill Bright...

The Great Awakenings (4 books)
  • Fire (The Great Awakenings #2)
  • Storm: 1798-1800 (The Great Awakenings #3)
  • Fury (The Great Awakenings #4)