Start by marking “Rosemary's Baby” as Want to Read:
Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  83,054 Ratings  ·  2,189 Reviews
Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse, an ordinary young couple, settle into a New York City apartment, unaware that the elderly neighbors and their bizarre group of friends have taken a disturbing interest in them. But by the time Rosemary discovers the horrifying truth, it may be far too late!
Published September 1st 1997 by Signet (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Rosemary's Baby, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lindsey Albright
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Delee
I knew from a young age that I probably didn't have the maternal instinct that is necessary to raise a child. I hated dolls- they creeped me out, and instead of dressing up the ones I was given as gifts- the dolls sat in the corner in various stages of undress- while I wheeled my cat whiskers around in a baby carriage- showing off his cute bonnets and frilly dresses. He was the best dressed kitty in the neighborhood. And if my parents were not convinced then, that I would never give them grandch ...more
Mariel
May 25, 2009 Mariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I'm afraid of karma
Recommended to Mariel by: the movies
This is why I will never have children.
Carol
ROSEMARY'S BABY is creepy as HELL!

I truly had no intention of reading this novel until I realized Ira Levin was the author. He sure could write creepy-scary too, and as with his other novels, he moves right along in the telling describing a 1966 New York City setting, young newlyweds Rosemary and Guy, and their new place of residence in the 'old' Bramford apartment building with a very dark history.

If you've only seen the scary as HELL movie, you'll find the book very similar, if not exactly the

El
Oct 12, 2014 El rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I am not marking this review as containing spoilers, because honestly, it's the 21st century and if you know nothing about the book or the movie, then that's just sad and shame on you (unless you don't like scary things, in which case you shouldn't even be on this page). If you don't want to know anything about the story, then please stop reading here.

Disclaimer 2: This is probably going to be a long review because I have a lot of thoughts. If you don't want to read a long review, th
Abigail
holy mother of fucksticles
that
was
aye-maze-ing
4.75 This is no dream, she thought. This is real, this is happening. stars.
Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary and her husband Guy are moving, looking for an apartment to have their children. When a place opens up at Bramford, they do all they can to get it, but it may have been the worst decision of their lives...

Rosemary and Guy have been married for several years, Guy is a failing actor, he just can't find any jobs. Rosemary is a housewife and only thinks about having chil
Ahmad Sharabiani
Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby #1), Ira Levin
عنوان: بچه ی رزمری؛ نویسنده آیرا لوین؛ مترجم: محمد قائد؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نشر کلاغ، 1394، در 291 ص، شابک: 9786007656006؛
بچهٔ رُزمری، رمانی کوتاه یا داستانی بلند، از یکی از بهترین نمونه های ایجاد تعلیق میان وهم و واقعیت است. فیلمی درخشان که رومن پولانسکی از روی آن ساخت در بسیاری موارد برگردانِ سطر به سطر و حتی کلمه به کلمهٔ رمان آیرا لوین به تصویر است. پرداختن به فراواقعی معمولاً با دلهره و سایه روشنهایی پر رمز و راز همراه است. بچهٔ رُزمری دلهرهٔ
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

The horror of this book is not the devil, nor his baby-demon. The horror of this book is represented by the corrupt, deranged mortals who surround Rosemary, all of them led by Guy, her husband. He sold his wife's body for success. He drugged her, stood there and watched his wife being rapped by the devil.

description

He stood there and watched her conceive the devil's child... and getting tortured by the creature inside her for months.

description

And he stood there and watched while Rosemary was being used as a cow to
Stefan Yates
Feb 02, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
I would like to start of this review by posting a special NOTICE for folks who own this novel from THE STEPHEN KING HORROR LIBRARY and have not read the novel before. DO NOT read the forward by Stephen King until after you have read the novel. I love King. I love King's analysis and opinions on things. But this is the first time that I have read something written by Stephen King that made me want to punch the man in the face. I don't mean that literally of course, but it's the best way that I ca ...more
Zuky the BookBum
Mar 13, 2017 Zuky the BookBum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, 2017
This is no dream, she thought. This is real, this is happening.

Note to self and others: beware of overly friendly neighbours.

This is amazing. At just over 200 pages, this novel takes you on a hell (excuse the pun) of a journey that you won’t forget anytime soon. Levin has managed to make a novel so witty, and at the same time, so terrifying. In a way, the tone of this book is reminiscent of American Psycho (or rather American Psycho is reminiscent of this as it came out afterwards), but rather
Gorgona Grim
Aug 21, 2016 Gorgona Grim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Jedan od klasika napisanih u okviru horor žanra, "Rozmarina beba" na odličan način dočarava unutrašnju borbu kroz koju prolazi protagonistkinja Rozmari Vudhaus.

Mladi bračni par okreće novu stranicu u njihovim životima onda kada odluče da se presele u stan koji se nalazi u zloglasnoj zgradi Bamford. Rozmarin prijatelj Hač je bio najglasniji protiv selidbe zbog zloslutne prošlosti zgrade - ubistva, samoubistva pa i slučaj kanibalizma je samo deo te prošlosti. Gaj Vudhaus je glumac koji se bori za
Claudia
Jun 08, 2016 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Teuflisch gut!

Ein Albtraum zwischen Hoffen und Bangen, Phantasie und Realität.

Rosemary und ihr Mann Guy, ein Schauspieler, ziehen in das "Bramford-House". Ein alter Freund versucht sie zu warnen, vergeblich. Dieses Haus ist berüchtigt für viele Selbstmorde und Morde, die in vergangenen Zeiten stattfanden. Sie ist dermaßen begeistert, dass sie sämtliche Warnungen in den Wind schlägt.

Kurz darauf begeht ein junges Mädchen, mit dem sie sich angefreundet hat, Selbstmord. Sie ist erschüttert, doch di
Estelle
I really quite liked it! It wasn't scary but there was a nice tension throughout the book and a great climax.
If you like the movie, there's a good chance you'll enjoy the novel as well. Both are very similar and Polanski's Rosemary's Baby is easily one of the best horror adaptations out there.

Overall, a good way to start the #SpookyBRB month!
Becky
Feb 02, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Becky by: Maciek
4.5 Stars

I admit that I'm a little torn on what to rate this book, so I split the difference, although I'm really tempted to go all StarSearch™ up in this piece and do 4.75 stars. (Wait, did they have a 5 star rating system? No, I think it was only 4. Crap. Well, anyway, you get the point. That is, unless you're younger than me and don't even know what StarSearch is. In that case, you're a jerk, and go away.)

Anyway, I'm torn because, having seen the movie before, I think that Roman Polanski nail
Bill
Jun 18, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This is more like it.

Prior to reading this, I was a month and 800 pages into George R.R. Martin's Storm of Swords, a sprawling epic with dozens of characters and several storylines.
After stumbling across severe spoilers, and still 400 pages to go, I threw in the towel. I was burnt out on the story, and was getting much more excited about my to-read pile than the book I was reading. It was time to stop.

This is what I needed: A nice & tidy, straightforward story.

Man, it has got to be over 30 y
Addy
Oct 21, 2015 Addy rated it it was amazing
This book was simply fantastic! Great scary read for Halloween that gave me the creeps throughout. Most everyone has probably read this great classic, so I won't go into the details of what it was about. I will say it had a lot of surprises for me and kept me on the edge of my seat, so I can see why it turned into a classic horror movie as well. Just beware if you hear some strange chanting in or near your abode. Make sure you know you're neighbors, let alone you're own husband and always keep a ...more
Josh
May 08, 2007 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knjigoholičarka
Sa jedne strane - sjajno napisan roman, koji postepeno gradi atmosferu paranoje i strave, i maltene do samog kraja ostavlja (nespojlovanog) čitaoca u dilemi da li je Rouzmeri u pravu, ili samo umišlja?

S druge strane - crne sveće, ponoćne mise, orgije u slavu Satane, veštičarenje, crne mašnice (da), crna kolica za bebu, crna benkica za bebu, srebrni privesci protivu uroka i toliko goth estetike od koje ćete pomisliti da se nalazite na rođendanskoj žurci Varga Vikernesa*.

Čisto sumnjam da bi Nečas
Dimitris
Apr 01, 2016 Dimitris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ένα από τα κλασικά βιβλία που εγώ δεν ήξερα την ύπαρξή του. Παρά μόνο την ύπαρξη της ομώνυμης ταινίας. Ευτυχώς δεν είχα δει την ταινία -αν και ήξερα σε μέσες άκρες τι γίνεται-, και ευτυχώς έπεσε το μάτι μου πάνω στο εν λόγω βιβλίο σε ένα βιβλιοπωλείο.

Αν και δε θα το έλεγα ακριβώς τρόμου, είναι μια ιστορία που δημιουργεί αρκετά άβολα συναισθήματα με αποκορύφωμα το επικό φινάλε. Οφείλω να ομολογήσω ότι καθόλη τη διάρκεια του βιβλίου θεωρούσα ότι πολλές σκηνές ήταν περιττές και υπήρχαν απλά για να
Franco  Santos
Buen libro. Está catalogado como clásico de la literatura del terror, pero por mi parte tengo que decir que miedo no me dio. Quizás las últimas cincuenta páginas me hayan incomodado, sin embargo no pasa de eso.

description

Es una novela muy rápida y amena, con mucho diálogo. Ya al principio Ira Levin nos siembra el misterio y nos invita a creer en cosas que están más allá de nuestra percepción de la realidad.

En fin, entretenido, para pasar el rato. Se lee de una sentada.
Μιχάλης
Nov 27, 2016 Μιχάλης rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Κλασικό και πολύ δυνατό μεταφυσικό θρίλερ. Όλα στην πλοκή χτίζονται τούβλο-τούβλο και οδηγούν αναπόφευκτα στο τέλος. Αρκετά ψυχολογική η προσέγγυση στον τρόμο, ενώ η συνήθης κακή ποιότητα των εκδόσεων της Βιβλιοθήκης του Τρόμου εδώ δεν δημιουργεί πρόβλημα.

Ανεξαρτήτως έκδοσης (υπάρχουν τρείς στα Ελληνικά) αξίζει να το διαβάσετε.
Jason
Jul 26, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
On consideration of this book, you may be thinking one of two things. You may be thinking either, "I've seen the movie, it's great, so I don't need to read the book" or "It's about the child of Satan, and that's dopey, so who cares?" And fair enough. I was thinking both those things before I reluctantly picked up this novel.

But the novel works, and it works very well, and NOT as a horror novel about Satan. In fact, it works because it's not really about Satan or witchcraft at all. This is a nov
Chad Bearden
Dec 21, 2008 Chad Bearden rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I'd seen the film "Rosemary's Baby" many years ago, so before I cracked open the book, I already knew what it was about, and its 'shocking' ending. I remember the ending of the movie making me laugh out loud, not because it was too silly, but because it struck a perfect tone of absurdity and creepiness. As I started the novel, I was afraid know the ending would dampen my enjoyment of the read, but fortunately, Ira Levin employed such a deft touch in this work, that there is a sense of fun that k ...more
Mindi
Dec 03, 2016 Mindi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't even count the number of times I've seen the film Rosemary's Baby. To this day, it remains firmly in my top 10 favorite movies list. Perhaps it was my love for the film that kept me from reading the novel it was based on, but I finally decided to give it a go, and I'm kind of making it into a theme now. The next two books on my TBR pile are popular novels from the 60's and 70's that were made into equally popular films.

Now that I have read the novel, I understand why I love the film. Rom
Amanda
Oct 01, 2007 Amanda rated it it was ok
Light reading to get you in the mood for Halloween. I didn't find it scary, though. I could stay up reading it late at night without getting the creeps or having weird dreams. It was even kind of funny, especially in the end when she looks in the bassinet and what she does afterward. Maybe it would have been scarier if I had read it back in the late 60's when it was written.

One thing that caught me off guard every time was how the author kept referring to the black elevator operator as "Negro bo
Kathryn
Oct 26, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Horror
Recommended to Kathryn by: Alondra and Jesse
4.5 stars.

For a book I was afraid to read at night because it felt so dark and sinister, I could not put this book down today. I think I have a record reading speed with this one.

There is a very dark feel to this book. Once I started to read Rosemary's Baby, I began to feel like something wasn't right with the picture Levin was painting with Rosemary, Guy, Minnie, and Roman. The constant mentioning of certain things made a point to the reader, (if you're paying attention), how important those
David
Aug 22, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vanessa
Sep 14, 2015 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
I enjoyed this book so much!! I couldn't read this fast enough. The writing style the pacing was delivered expertly, with the right amount of creepiness that never felt over the top. I loved everything from beginning to end, including the slightly ambiguous ending. I will definately have to source some of this author's other books. I have watched most of his movie adaptations but not read his books up until now. I will have to rectify that quick smart!
Rade
Apr 08, 2014 Rade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, owned
I really like this story. It is a bit dated now seeing how many movies and books came out on the subject of possessions, demons, and ghosts, but it is still a really nice classic book that most of us can enjoy. I like how in this book each chapter reveals a bit more to the whole drama and it keeps you wanting more. It does not just unload the facts and move on with character developments. Instead it makes the characters behave in a way that is constantly changing based on the information they ar ...more
OMG, so scarily NORMAL! Like, "Oh, here's your new apartment, meet your new neighbors, and by the way, we worship Satan every other Wednesday. Hope you can make it!" Love it. Also a kick-ass NYC novel.
  • The Omen
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Audrey Rose
  • The Sentinel
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • The Fog
  • The House Next Door
  • Damien: Omen II
  • Falling Angel
  • The Elementals
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
Levin graduated from the Horace Mann School and New York University, where he majored in philosophy and English.

After college, he wrote training films and scripts for television.

Levin's first produced play was No Time for Sergeants (adapted from Mac Hyman's novel), a comedy about a hillbilly drafted into the United States Air Force that launched the career of Andy Griffith. The play was turned int
More about Ira Levin...

Rosemary's Baby (2 books)
  • Son of Rosemary

“Anyone who needs more than one suitcase is a tourist, not a traveler” 132 likes
“Like so many unhappinesses, this one had begun with silence in the place of honest open talk.” 10 likes