Start by marking “NYHC: New York Hardcore 1980-1990” as Want to Read:
NYHC: New York Hardcore 1980-1990

NYHC: New York Hardcore 1980-1990

Known for its glamorous 1970s punk rock scene, New York City matched the grim urban reality of the 1980s with a rawer musical uprising: New York hardcore. As bands of misfits from across the region gravitated to the forgotten frontier of Manhattan's Lower East Side. With a a backdrop of despair, bands like Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, Murphy's Law, and Youth of Today ...more
Published December 30th 2014 by Bazillion Points (first published December 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about NYHC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NYHC

G. Jason
Feb 09, 2015 G. Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
I thought this was a well thought out and well organized book that covered a lot of the gamut of NYHC and it's roots. The author did a great job interviewing some key people and people you wouldn't expect and the result was a good oral history of the genre.

I enjoyed it and had a hard time putting it down. I believe the author did a good job with what he set out to do.

The topic of this book, however, limits how much that can be said about a certain band. Some chapters left me wanting to hear mor
Peter
Dec 22, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This was a great book. It gave a history of NYHC through interviews with the key players of that scene. The whole book is full of anecdotes and stories about the first 10 years of the NY Scene.

And what made reading this book made a great experience is that it reminded me of all those great bands that I've not listened to enough in the last years. It reminded me how great records like victim in pain or break down the walls were. I gave my urban waste and antidote 7"s a listen for the first time i
Rob Schorr
Jan 08, 2015 Rob Schorr rated it it was amazing
What a thorough and comprehensive job! Well done Mr. Rettman!! From the early blossoming of the NYHC scene to the new breed of the early nineties this book covers it all. Memories of great clubs and shows from years ago came flooding back. Reading about everything before my time was awesome and made me wish I could have experienced it but this was the next best thing. A lot of work went into this and it shows! Thank you!!
Andrew Nolan
Mar 28, 2015 Andrew Nolan rated it really liked it
Nicely done oral history, this is a book that could have spiralled out of control and gone on forever detailing everything of the era, but it's well edited and keeps focus without trying to cover every aspect that would detract from the overall project.

To Rettman's credit he dispensed with a straight chronology and the book is more coherent for it, jumping back and forth in time, allowing threads to continue.

What i think he did particularly well was tie in the spatial aspects of NYHC; how bands
Gerry LaFemina
Jan 02, 2016 Gerry LaFemina rated it really liked it
So many old friends talking in this book, so many old haunts revisited. It was great...to a point. I do think there's a lot of whitewashing some of the worst parts of the scene, and there are a number of voices unheard: that's to be expected in an oral history. More, the organization--by band--made it hard to get a sense of a timeline, and I really wish a chronology had been included.

I remember seeing Kraut, Reagan Youth, and an early incarnation of Murphy's Law at Tompkins Square Park in the s
Patrick
Dec 05, 2015 Patrick rated it liked it
Pretty average overview covering all the major bands but I couldn't help but be underwhelmed. A lot of bands weren't really mentioned aside from a couple lines here and there like Uppercut, Outburst, Maximum Penalty, The Icemen, Absolution, Altercation, Dmize, etc. It would've also been cool to have had a chapter on the Jersey bands covering Turning Point, Release, Enuf, etc. Aside from that, there are still plenty of in depth chapters on The Abused, Reagan Youth, Straight Ahead, and a couple ...more
David
Dec 27, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
I needed to find out about the beginning's of the NYHC scene and this book gave it to me. It's an in depth look at the scene filled with cast of characters too many to list. NYHC 80-90 journeys into the early NYHC clubs and puts you right next to the musicians that you know and love. Plenty of surprises and it was a great read for me. The last 2 chapters explain hardcore down to it's core and how just a handful of bands continue to live the lifestyle while having families and passion to carry ...more
Scott Bevington
Mar 01, 2015 Scott Bevington rated it really liked it
Interesting oral history from those the bands, fans, and others involved in the New York City hardcore scene during it's initial years. Wish it could have been even more in depth but such are the limitations inherent in documenting via oral history when using already conducted interviews. Great selections of vintage flyers and photos. Highly recommended for the curious and fans of the music.
Cortney
Mar 14, 2016 Cortney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many great bands

A must read. Love the chronological breakdown and that it is all straight quotes from each person involved in the nyhc scene. Highly recommended to anyone who loves punk or hardcore music.
James G.
Apr 11, 2015 James G. rated it it was amazing
This is a succinct overview of the downtown New York hardcore scene from 1980-90 told through first-person accounts, incl guest appearances by Gary Tse Tse Fly. That's what made it five stars!!
Kevin C. Osmond
Kevin C. Osmond rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Jon Wiederhorn
Jon Wiederhorn rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Alex Greenberg
Alex Greenberg rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Coolbrother Kyle
Coolbrother Kyle rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Christopher Hogan
Christopher Hogan rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
P.J. Olrich
P.J. Olrich rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
kevin theriault
kevin theriault rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Max
Max rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Christian
Christian rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
John  Edgar Mihelic
John Edgar Mihelic rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Jim Scheers
Jim Scheers rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Zimme Maxke Duke
Zimme Maxke Duke rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Simon Harvey
Simon Harvey rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Jonas
Jonas rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Mark Toelsche
Mark Toelsche rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Cynthia DiAngelo
Cynthia DiAngelo rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
christopher
christopher rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries
  • Only Death is Real: An Illustrated History of Hellhammer and Early Celtic Frost, 1981-1985
  • Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83
  • Paradoxical Undressing
  • Love Rock Revolution: K Records and the Rise of Independent Music
  • Cat Power: A Good Woman
  • Wish You Were Here: An Essential Guide to Your Favorite Music Scenes—from Punk to Indie and Everything in Between
  • Swedish Death Metal
  • But I Like It
  • The Last Bohemia: Scenes from the Life of Williamsburg, Brooklyn
  • Occupy!: Scenes from Occupied America
  • Hüsker Dü: The Story of the Noise-Pop Pioneers Who Launched Modern Rock
Tony Rettman is a freelance music journalist whose work has appeared in The Village Voice, Vice, The Wire, Philadelphia Weekly, Cleveland Scene, Arthur, Swindle, Signal to Noise, Mean, and Thrasher. At age 14 in the 1980s, he was the editor of Common Sense zine. He has provided liner notes for such artists as Hackamore Brick, Bored Youth, Beyond and many more. He is a contributing editor to ...more
More about Tony Rettman...

“Where the fuck do you get your electricity from? Do you have a bicycle with a generator on it or something? Where do you get the gasoline for your fucking car? Shut the fuck up! You can be whatever you want to be. Eat vegan. Eat raw. Grow your own vegetables. But you always have to pay somebody for something.” 0 likes