Start by marking “Sex Outside the Lines: Authentic Sexuality in a Sexually Dysfunctional Culture” as Want to Read:
Sex Outside the Lines: Authentic Sexuality in a Sexually Dysfunctional Culture

Sex Outside the Lines: Authentic Sexuality in a Sexually Dysfunctional Culture

Is Your Sex Life Normal?

Boy meets girl. The connection is electric. They fall in love, marry and have amazing sex. Soon there are children, and then grandchildren. They grow old, loving one another for the rest of their lives.

What’s wrong with this picture? Absolutely nothing, if you are one of the relatively small group of people whose lives work out this way.

What’s wron
Published July 14th 2015 by BenBella Books (first published April 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Sex Outside the Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex Outside the Lines

Killian
Aug 10, 2015 Killian rated it did not like it
I got a whole 13% into this one. And that was probably about 10% further than I knew I should have gone.

I guess what I was looking for in this book was a more professional treatise on modern sexuality, delving into why shaming and repression occurs. That's what the description said to me anyway.

What I got was paragraph after paragraph of gross generalizations. The worst ones were the rants about therapists (no supporting evidence, just a rant) who he saw as trying to fit everyone who came to th
Nate Dorward
Oct 30, 2015 Nate Dorward rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one!
I was somewhat blindsided by this book, the selection du jour of a bookclub I joined. It's a book that advocates many positions I'm sympathetic to--for instance, that it's OK for people to have adventurous sex lives and engage in casual sex, if that's their bag; that "slut-shaming" is abhorrent; that sex work should be decriminalized; that nonmonogamous relationships are valid; that sex and gender and identity are often resistant to labelling and we shouldn't enforce labels or valorize certain ...more
Paula Valenca
Oct 29, 2015 Paula Valenca rated it did not like it
The sad thing is that I've been active in bringing some of the changes the author champions and, if this was an opinion article of a couple of pages instead, I would probably nod and quote them.
So when I heard the author recently promoting the book on Sex Nerd Sandra podcast I thought "this sounds interesting!"
Unfortunately the book comes across more like a repetitive 7h long rant from the author than an actual treaty on the subject. Which is sad because it completely drowns the occasional insig
Jasna
Nov 09, 2015 Jasna rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, but I was pretty disappointed. A lot of dubious claims without much backing. The majority of citations are just quotes pulled from papers to make a minor point, while the author's actual assertions remain un-cited and without evidence. I don't feel that I have learned much other than the author's opinion.

I do like the content, so if future editions add more evidence it could turn into a pretty good book.
Melody
Apr 19, 2016 Melody rated it did not like it
Donaghue has a great many points I agree with, but the delivery is hamfisted at best, and there are more gross generalizations that I'd think would fit in a book this length. The amount of repetition was staggering, each rant circled back to the ones before. This book needed a wise editor to say, "Chris, what you have here is a really nice magazine article."
Dre Battles
Oct 04, 2015 Dre Battles rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Chris Donaghue’s Sex Outside the Lines: Authentic Sexuality in a Sexually Dysfunctional Culture is very eloquently written. Donaghue book is very concise and easy to read. It’s a thorough and in-depth look at how society’s view on sex is harming both men and women. Donaghue leaves reader’s feeling empowered and ready to reclaim their sexuality. The text commands that we, as a society, need to deconstruct our view on sexuality. Society need to embrace sexual diversity and sexual freedom. Once a ...more
Ben
Sep 29, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it
I am going to giving it a 4 star just because I love the way this guy thinks. I know alot of people don't like it but I love it. I agree and feel the same way. I do wish there would have been some sources or something to back up his thoughts.
H
Apr 29, 2016 H rated it liked it
I'm torn about this book. I like many of the ideas espoused by the author but he's walking a slippery slope. Some of his ideas could be used in really evil ways; cheating as opposed to ethical monogamy, redefining sexual harassment and other ideas that he preaches as "freedom" but, as a woman in our current society, concern me as furthering rape culture.

The author has really important ideas about erotic diversity and justice too. So I'm not sure how to feel about it overall.

On a style note, th
Sam
Apr 20, 2016 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have loved a more substantive argument from Donaghue, however, the book is so overwhelmed with the task of arguing that our traditional view of sexuality is wrong that the author seems to forget to finish the philosophical part of the argument, giving little support for his alternative point of view. I found myself jotting down things like "according to whom?" "On what grounds?" and "Example?" in the margins at least a few times per chapter. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it as a ...more
Joli Hamilton
Mar 27, 2016 Joli Hamilton rated it really liked it
I think the tone is a bit reactionary, and will put many people who could be helped by the underlying ideas off. This is a book for someone who is ready to completely reevaluate the way we understand sexuality through a medicalized lens. Almost more of a philosophy book than a sexuality book, the questions Connelly asks are the beginning of a new conversation about what sexuality, identity, and hegemony.
Abram
Oct 31, 2015 Abram rated it it was amazing
We live in a sexually puritanical society. How are we suppose to know unless we don't talk about it frankly?
Fen
Nov 07, 2015 Fen rated it it was amazing
It's refreshing to read such a sex positive book. Unfortunately we live in a world that has become very sex conservative, so this book and its views are a fresh breath of air. I highly recommend it
Apr 21, 2016 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I somehow stuck with him through his over the top defense of cheating, and only gave up on this 149 pages in, right at "We have journeyed from penis to posthuman cyborg 'phallus'" like wtaf.
Jennie
Jennie rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2015
SuperDustin83
SuperDustin83 rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Nolan
Nolan rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2015
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Jax
Jax rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Erufu
Erufu rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016
Kathryn Vercillo
Kathryn Vercillo rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Devin Griffin
Devin Griffin rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2016
Henry Stevens
Henry Stevens rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2016
Kevin Maas
Kevin Maas rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
David Hixon
David Hixon rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Wayne Myer
Wayne Myer rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Ali
Jan 09, 2016 Ali rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-bingo
Do not read this book.
  • Love in Abundance: A Counselor's Advice on Open Relationships
  • Designer Relationships: A Guide to Happy Monogamy, Positive Polyamory, and Optimistic Open Relationships
  • Polyamory in the 21st Century: Love and Intimacy with Multiple Partners
  • The Pleasure's All Mine:  Memoir of a Professional Submissive
  • Talk Dirty to Me
  • Sex From Scratch: Making Your Own Relationship Rules
  • Redefining Our Relationships: Guidelines for Responsible Open Relationships
  • Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children from Sex
  • Real Live Nude Girl: Chronicles of Sex-Positive Culture
  • Sex Made Easy: Your Bedside Guide to 100 Sex Problems, Questions, & Crises and How to Handle Them Like an Expert
  • Open: Love, Sex, and Life in an Open Marriage
  • Erotic Slavehood: A Miss Abernathy Omnibus
  • The Evolution of Human Sexuality
  • Best Sex Writing 2009
  • The Boundaries of Desire: A Century of Good Sex, Bad Laws, and Changing Identities
  • Extraterrestrial Sex Fetish