Start by marking “Molecular Red: Theory for the Anthropocene” as Want to Read:
Molecular Red: Theory for the Anthropocene

Molecular Red: Theory for the Anthropocene

In Molecular Red, McKenzie Wark creates philosophical tools for the Anthropocene, our new planetary epoch, in which human and natural forces are so entwined that the future of one determines that of the other.

Wark explores the implications of Anthropocene through the story of two empires, the Soviet and then the American. The fall of the former prefigures that of the latt
Published April 21st 2015 by Verso (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Molecular Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molecular Red

Adam  McPhee
The scientific recognition that collective human labor is causing climate change could well be one of those great discontinuities in perspective such as the heliocentric universe of Copernicus and Galileo, the evolution of species in Darwin and Wallace, and what Althusser rather problematically calls Marx’s opening up of the “continent of history.” In the Anthropocene, some neutral, pre-given planetary nature is no longer available as a fiction of the real. We fucked it up.

A lot going on here. T
Lukáš
Oct 10, 2016 Lukáš rated it really liked it
I like this. Taking up some rather obscured Soviet theory and confronting it with some contemporary polemics over science, the social, materialism and fiction to highlight some of its insights is rather an interesting take, and Wark does a great job arguing for its relevance. In the end, we have a very well composed labour-based approach to contemporary anthropocenic politics.
Richard Jones
As with some of the other reviewers below, I too found this book to be a thorough disappointment. If, like me, you are interested in the notion of the Anthropocene as a legitimate field of scientific inquiry and are looking for further information and research material on the subject, then this book is probably not going to be a very good place to start.

There is not much more I can add other than to agree with some of the other reviewers in saying that Mr. Wark relies too heavily on the four wr
Rdt
Apr 28, 2016 Rdt rated it did not like it
This book was a big disappointment. It seemed promising. I was draw to the idea of reinventing Marxism for a modern era of technology and climate change because I think that Marx was brilliant but in many ways has been misread and because I often see Marxist ideas playing themselves out in odd sideways ways in modern society. I also liked the idea of getting to the reinvention by way the thinking of Bogdanov, a discredited Bolshevik, and Platonov, a Russian modern novelist suppressed by the ...more
Milan
Mar 25, 2016 Milan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A representative of that type of academic writing which derives its full body of thought from interpretative effort based on specific authors and their work, and then extrapolated to provide unique philosophical insight, the book, by my opinion, leans too heavily on analytic commentary of the authors in question, thus requiring the reader to be at least tangentially familiar with them in order to grasp the concept of Marx's metabolic rift and the opposition molar-molecular pertracted in the ...more
Angel Pradel
Aug 18, 2015 Angel Pradel rated it really liked it
Working Cyborgs of the world untie! "We all known this civilization cant last. Let's make another" Hurry up, the Carbon Liberation Front is over us.

A search, sometimes brilliant, through the wreckage of Soviet and Western marxism. Little tools hidden in science fiction literature, seeds for rethink radicalism.

Ah, dreamers, sorry. Lenin is death, and Pocahontas and Neitiry are Disney's characters.
Andy
May 12, 2015 Andy rated it liked it
The potential was there but this book did not realize it for me. The inclusion of Anthropocene in the subtitle felt like an afterthefact marketing move not deeply integrated into the work. The concept and structure were excellent, yet it didn't deepen my reading of Bogdanov or Robinson to the extent I expected.
Ethan Everhart
Feb 01, 2016 Ethan Everhart rated it really liked it
These four stars are mostly for the final section on Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, which is a tremendous analysis of its political and theoretical themes. I skimmed over most of the rest (although the first section on Alexander Bogdanov was also fascinating).
Quinn
Quinn rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Sebastian Rising
Sebastian Rising rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Hannah Gold
Hannah Gold rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2015
Chris Marmo
Chris Marmo rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Vinch
Vinch rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Nicholas Frota
Nicholas Frota rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Filippo
Filippo rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Brad
Brad rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Jason Loeffler
Jason Loeffler rated it it was ok
May 28, 2016
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Anatole
Anatole rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Hannu Ripatti
Hannu Ripatti rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Ryan Plant
Ryan Plant rated it liked it
May 13, 2015
Kiefer Van
Kiefer Van rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Denis
Jul 01, 2015 Denis rated it really liked it
Brilliant in parts; obscure and self-indulgent in others.
Ilidio
Ilidio rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Niklas
Niklas rated it it was ok
May 07, 2015
Alexis
Alexis rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Lee Patterson
Lee Patterson rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Will Sharkey
Will Sharkey rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
  • This is Not a Program
  • A Companion To Marx's Capital, Volume 2
  • The Long Revolution
  • The Communist Horizon
  • To Our Friends (Intervention #18)
  • Hyperobjects: Philosophy and Ecology after the End of the World