Start by marking “On Masturbation” as Want to Read:
On Masturbation

On Masturbation

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  350 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
America's Master Humorist on Masturbation... One evening in Paris in 1879, Mark Twain rose to the podium and tackled the touchiest of subjects. His hilarious remarks rubbed Victorian society the wrong way and were censored for many decades. At long last, here is Mark Twain's complete treatise on 'The Science of Onanism,' along with many uplifting illustrations.
Published September 20th 2007 by BookSurge Publishing (first published 1879)

To ask other readers questions about On Masturbation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Masturbation

Yasemin
Mar 21, 2015 Yasemin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Çok iddialı ve merak
uyandırı bir arka kapak yazısıyla iki
paragraflık yazıyı kitap diye
basmışlar. Önsözü döneme dair
cinselliğin nasıl baskı unsuru
olduğuna dair fıkir veriyor o kadar.
Batgrl (Book Data Kept Elsewhere)
I'm somehow confused about this being a 36 page book (perhaps there are illustrations?!), because it's actually a speech Twain gave. If you dig a bit on the internet, you can find it - but it's short enough for me to copy below. It isn't what I'd consider the best of Twain's humor - but it's a glimpse into the world of men's after dinner speeches of the 1800s, and what was considered risque talk.

Found online here and also here (a few interesting notes on that last link, on things like the Vendom
Paloma Meir
Nov 27, 2015 Paloma Meir rated it it was amazing
The book is brilliantly funny and everyone should read it right now.

I kind of wish I had bought the book in hardcover so I could have shocked the patrons at my local coffeeshop.
Nicole DePace
Jun 29, 2015 Nicole DePace rated it really liked it
Amusing.
I am (always) grateful I did not live during the Victorian era.
Neha Oberoi
Aug 29, 2011 Neha Oberoi rated it liked it
This isn't a book. Its a speech!. Mostly its a play of words that mark twain has used to put forth his views on the self indulgent act. Its amusing.

I liked the way he's compared it to flatulence and the losing of potential children. Also, the affront of one of the authors and naming the male organ is quite entertaining. Seems men will always be men and naming their genitals continues in an attempt to bely the correct importance ( that is their due according to them ) to them. ;)
AmberBug *shelfnotes.com*
Twain wrote this in response to the public opinion on masturbation. Super short, really this was a speech so it makes for a quick read. I believe I purchased this (cheap or for free) on amazon. He is so clever and funny, greatly increased his already charming self. I really wish I could have sat and chatted with him (invent that time machine already!)
Aarann
The book was short so my review will be too. This takes about half an hour to read and is full of fun "quotes" by Mark Twain about masturbation. Not as funny as some others I have read by Mark Twain, but a good way to while away a few minutes between books.
Yelda Gürbüz Erdogan
Yalnızın yoldaşıdır; terk edilmişim arkadaşı; yalnız ve iktidarsızın velinimeti; bu görkemli oylanmaları oldukça beş parası olmayanlar bile zengindir. Sezar
Laurie
May 18, 2016 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite unexpected and amusing.
Kim Buchanan
Mar 12, 2015 Kim Buchanan rated it it was amazing
(Shaking my head) I LOVED IT
Ümit
Sep 05, 2015 Ümit rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foreign, essay, humour
Altıkırkbeş'in bize oynadığı dandik bir oyun daha...
Trebro
Jul 26, 2008 Trebro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
Hate to call this a book, but hey, they made one out of the (probably should have stayed) lost story a few years back, so why not. This is Twain at his over-the-top best. Bawdy, of course, ala 1601, but so frickin' funny that the term LOL is entirely true. Twain sets out to skewer just about everyone in this, from "quoting" Franklin and Queen Elizabeth on its merits to playing on the prevention of childbirth. It can be found on the web, I highly recommend you read it. Just absolutely full of win ...more
Matthew
Jul 02, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Reading this book one must remember the context not just of the event but the time. Many today do not realize how abhorrent the practice of masturbation was considered: It was common medical belief that a male who masturbates could go mad or much worse. Mark Twain's purposely erroneous quotations from famous historical and then present day figures are clever and very entertaining.
Darren Girard
A once banned essay (Speech) delivered by famous 19th century author Mark Twain to a men's club on, you guessed it, masturbation. Full of tongue-n-cheek humor aimed at the society of the time. It'll make you chuckle, but nothing shocking to a 21st century audience. A very quick read, fun if you have some time on your hands. I got my copy free from Amazon Kindle.
J.V. Stanley
Jul 24, 2013 J.V. Stanley rated it it was amazing
Twain is a masterful satirist! Although the subject isn't as taboo in modern times as it was then, it certainly puts perspective on how the topic was perceived. The quotes are hilarious and are worth the dollar spent. It's a pretty quick read of the speech he made that will make you chuckle.
Simon Lee
Nov 22, 2014 Simon Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect written. A speech from Mark Twain's later years, heavily censored over the years, but now free and ready to download from Amazon. It can finished in 20 minutes, and it is so inspiring you will get right to work when you are done.
Ozclk
Döneminin çok ilerisinde, dönemin çok gerisinde.
Meen
Jul 26, 2008 Meen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Oh you all should just to smile! (And stop touching that!)
Recommended to Meen by: Goodreads via a search for his autobiography
Well, now I've read it, so I guess it can go on the sexy shelf... once I figure out what a Vendome Column is...

I would've liked to've known Sam Clemens. How cool is this?!
Alexis
May 13, 2012 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cetewayo, the Zulu hero, remarked that, "A jerk in the hand is worth two in the bush." Fantastic Twain. What a sense of humor that man had.
Kent
Aug 27, 2013 Kent rated it really liked it
Would have been super funny at the time, I bet. I love that he called farting the "fundamental sigh."
Simon Sweetman
Aug 05, 2013 Simon Sweetman rated it liked it
Nothing too gripping here - but interesting to see what might have caused a stir way back.
Jack
Sep 28, 2013 Jack rated it it was ok
Cute quotes, but not as funny or rooted in Twain as I had hoped.
Kahraman KURT
Oct 03, 2014 Kahraman KURT rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kitabın önsözü olmasa okunacak bir kısmı yok.Zaman kaybı.
Mohit Parikh
Sep 11, 2011 Mohit Parikh rated it liked it
Vendome Column... lol. IIT-R has one.
Juliana
Sep 29, 2013 Juliana rated it liked it
I laughed out loud.
Ken Wilson
Ken Wilson rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Jeffrey Denicholas
Jeffrey Denicholas rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Pınar
Pınar marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • The Deep Zoo
  • Captain Maximus
  • The Collected Writings Of Ambrose Bierce
  • Deep Politics and the Death of JFK
  • The Pine Tar Game: The Kansas City Royals, the New York Yankees, and Baseball's Most Absurd and Entertaining Controversy
  • Our Right to Drugs: The Case for a Free Market
  • A Smuggler's Bible
  • Robert Anton Wilson Explains Everything or Old Bob Exposes His Ignorance
  • The Pursuit of Power
  • A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation from the Cold War to the War on Terror
  • The Devil's Dictionary and Other Works
  • The CIA And The Cult Of Intelligence
  • Flying to America: 45 More Stories
  • A Religious Orgy in Tennessee: A Reporter's Account of the Scopes Monkey Trial
  • The Secret Team: The CIA & its Allies in Control of the United States & the World
  • Incredibly Strange Music, Vol. One
  • The Brunist Day of Wrath
  • Slavoj Žižek
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...

“The signs of excessive indulgence in this destructive pastime are easily detectable. They are these: A disposition to eat, to drink, to smoke, to meet together convivially, to laugh, to joke, and tell indelicate stories— and mainly, a yearning to paint pictures.” 19 likes
“Homer, in the second book of the Iliad says with fine enthusiasm, "Give me masturbation or give me death." Caesar, in his Commentaries, says, "To the lonely it is company; to the forsaken it is a friend; to the aged and to the impotent it is a benefactor. They that are penniless are yet rich, in that they still have this majestic diversion." In another place this experienced observer has said, "There are times when I prefer it to sodomy." Robinson Crusoe says, "I cannot describe what I owe to this gentle art." Queen Elizabeth said, "It is the bulwark of virginity." Cetewayo, the Zulu hero, remarked, "A jerk in the hand is worth two in the bush." The immortal Franklin has said, "Masturbation is the best policy." Michelangelo and all of the other old masters--"old masters," I will remark, is an abbreviation, a contraction--have used similar language. Michelangelo said to Pope Julius II, "Self-negation is noble, self-culture beneficent, self-possession is manly, but to the truly great and inspiring soul they are poor and tame compared with self-abuse." Mr. Brown, here, in one of his latest and most graceful poems, refers to it in an eloquent line which is destined to live to the end of time--"None knows it but to love it; none name it but to praise.” 9 likes