Start by marking “Midnight” as Want to Read:
Midnight

Midnight

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  20,432 Ratings  ·  394 Reviews
The citizens of Moonlight Cove, California, are changing. Some are losing touch with their deepest emotions. Others are surrendering to their wildest urges. And the few who remain unchanged are absolutely terrified-if not brutally murdered in the dead of night. Dean R. Koontz, the bestselling master of suspense, invites you into the shocking world of Moonlight Cove-where f ...more
Published November 1st 1989 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight, please sign up.

James Love Honestly, Dean Koontz is tame in comparison to what I see on CNN. I didn't get into horror fiction until around 1987 when Stephen King's novel It came…moreHonestly, Dean Koontz is tame in comparison to what I see on CNN. I didn't get into horror fiction until around 1987 when Stephen King's novel It came out. But I do remember a lot of the girls in my high school class read lots of Dean Koontz, John Saul, Stephen King and V. C. Andrews.(less)

Alejandro
Dec 06, 2007 Alejandro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, paranormal, novel
Koontz, you did it again!

THE RE-ASSURANCE OF FINDING A FAVORITE AUTHOR

After my happy encounter of the great author Dean Koontz in the novel Phantoms (see my review of that one here.) (back then in 1992). I knew that I want to read more books by him.

My second novel was this one, Midnight. And I am glad to say that I chosen well.

By then, I still wasn't able to read on English yet, so that novel I read on Spanish then.

At that moment I didn't know much about which novels to choose from Dean Koo
Matt Garcia
Jul 22, 2016 Matt Garcia rated it it was amazing
This is classic Koontz. Strong heroine/ female protagonist, super smart dog, sociopathic/megalomaniacal antagonist, science gone horribly wrong, a group of people have to save the day, blossoming romance between seemingly opposite characters, a small town, California setting and a good yet, corny ending lol.
The blending of horror and science fiction is superb. Koontz is so good at mixing the two genres with a dash of thriller/suspense to tie it all together.
The creatures that are in this book
Elli Jo
Jun 23, 2008 Elli Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interestin in suspense & sci-fi
This story grabbed my attention from the first three pages. As I read on, I found that all I wanted to do was keep my nose in the book. I have read a few of Koontz' other books, but none had captured me like this.

When I had gotten about half way through the book, beginning to understand what is going on here, I started thinking about it constantly. The book honestly scared me to the point of nightmares - but I would not put it down.

If you are into suspense, horror, and sci-fi I completely recomm
Greg
Dec 26, 2007 Greg rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
The only Dean Koontz book I ever read. I don't remember a thing about this book, but I do remember that reading it turned me off of ever wanting to try another Dean Koontz book.
J.S. Bailey
Oct 17, 2011 J.S. Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Koontz's better novels--totally creepy, and totally awesome. Plus, the afterword at the end made me giggle.

The reason this novel resonated so strongly with me is because I can identify with the residents of Moonlight Cove who were losing touch with their emotions. There was a time a few years ago when I suffered from extreme depression and anxiety. I was prescribed an antidepressant, and lo and behold, the depression went away!

But so did everything else. I felt no joy. No happines
Mike (the Paladin)
I want to comment on this because I really didn't care for it, but my late wife loved this and some other Koontz books that I don't care for (at least as much). So in honer of her I gave it 3 stars recognizing that there will be people who like some of this writer's books while others don't. I note that many of the ones I don't care for both my wife and daughter like. But, I can't really build on that as my daughter and I liked The Taking, and my wife didn't...sigh. Go figure. All I can suggest ...more
Brett
Jan 14, 2011 Brett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review contains spoilers. This novel by Dean Koontz sports a lot of Koontz's usual tropes. Among them are: the good-hearted protagonist that has experienced a loss, the angelic and unrealistically mature child, the unnecessary romance between main characters in the midst of mayhem, the remorseless mad scientist, the cute dog, and the easily predictable horror/sci-fi premise. Reading Koontz is too often like reading a screenplay for a March release Hollywood film--just very little complexity or s ...more
Thomas Strömquist
One of my favorite of Koontz's. Again primarily for the beginning and first part of the story. Here, he again manages to tell a good sci-fi/horror mix without too much focus on tooth-achingly good protagonists and cliched bad guys. This one is very recommended.
Juancho Juanchito Books
Un libro con una historia super adictiva, el autor combina el terror y la ciencia ficción dándonos unas aterradoras creaturas, y una historia brutal.

Los personajes de Medianoche me parecieron excelentes, unos personajes que te van a hacer vivir y sentir la pérdida de alguien y la emoción de sobrevivir a aquella perdida.

Les recomiendo mucho este libro por su historias por sus personajes, por esas creaturas aterradoras, esas creaturas que solo quieren comer y matar.
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is one of Dean Koontz's earlier novels and originally written in 1989. I was only 19 when I originally read it, boy, that makes me feel old! I'm reread it on unabridged audio recently. Despite its age it still holds up pretty well as a straight up horror novel where the citizens of a nice little town turn into horrifying blood-lusty creatures all thanks to a power-hungry geeky rich madman. Come to think of it, this is even scarier stuff in this day and age . . .

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot an
Matt Barker
Feb 28, 2010 Matt Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another good read from Koontz. Grips you from the beginning and gets stranger and more intriguing from there.

Publisher's Summary

In picturesque Moonlight Cove, California, inexplicable deaths occur, and spine-tingling terror descends to this edge of paradise. Growing numbers of residents harbor a secret so dark it is sure to cost even more lives.

Tessa Lockland comes to town to probe her sister's seemingly unprompted suicide. Independent and clever, she meets up with Sam Booker, an underc
Corey
Feb 08, 2013 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book grabbed my attention right from the beginning! The last really good book by Dean Koontz that I'd read is Watchers, and I loved that one. I just think it's incredible how one author can put so many different emotions into his books, to me, that's a good writer. There are times he's got you on the edge of your seat or biting your nails in horror, and times when he's got you laughing out loud.

I had read a lot of the reviews on Midnight and I see that some people loved it, others not so mu
Lori
Sep 02, 2007 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually do not care for the science fiction type, but this book was creepy and made me think about what really goes on out in the world. It is like a big brother feeling.

It has been awhile since I read this, but the main character is investigating weird happenings of a town. Meanwhile a little girl escapes her fate. They meet up eventually through this mass of events (so pay attention)and in the end the mystery is solved. It is not real, but it makes you think what about what people will do g
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This was the February 2011 Group Read in the Koontzland - Dean Koontz Group
My second time reading the book.

A favorite quote:
"Even as a child, she had preferred night to day, had enjoyed sitting out in the yard after sunset, under the star-speckled sky listening to frogs and crickets. Darkness soothed. It softened the sharp edges of the world, toned down the too-harsh colors. With the coming of twilight, the sky seemed to recede; the universe expanded. The night was bigger than the day, and in it
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Weird, weird, weird. Never will forget the part where one of the characters ends up bonding physically to his computer. Ick! My least favorite Koontz. Could be that I chose this to read for my 11th grade English class because my evil teacher wouldn't let me read White Fang by Jack London, which is much better, because he deemed it a children's book. So I picked this edgy, 'adult' book. Yes, I'm a little bitter.
Kestaa
Apr 11, 2011 Kestaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this book three-and-a-half stars since it was better than average, but not something I'd go out of my way to recommend. But it's closer to four stars than three, so four it is.

For the most part Midnight is a pretty solid horror story. It was written in 1989, so the technology is almost laughably outdated - at least one of the computers is so high-tech that it can boot up without a floppy disk, other computers are described as being "upper end, hard-disk systems", and several
Siobhan
Oct 23, 2014 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is yet another wonderful Koontz read.

I say this with most of my Koontz reads: my views are probably somewhat bias, considering how he is my favourite author. Oh, he is far from perfect. There are times when I have disliked (never hated, merely disliked) what he has written. But as a whole, he has rarely done me wrong. Thus, whenever I see a Koontz book I have yet to read I grab it. Such being the case with Midnight.

I’m not sure when or why, but as of late I’ve been noticing that Koontz’s o
Cody
Aug 27, 2016 Cody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-koontz
Dean Koontz has done it again. He has defied my admittedly low expectations of his skills as a writer and given me a novel I genuinely enjoyed. Granted, this book came out in 1989, when the general consensus has it that ole Koontzy was a bit more consistent in publishing books worthy of, ahem, even being published.

As you can tell from the synopsis I posted above, Midnight is a novel about a small coastal town in California that is changing because of a technological breakthrough by local scient
Michael
Aug 31, 2015 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Cooper
Jul 14, 2009 Jennifer Cooper rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty terrible. I didn't expect it to be a great piece of modern literature- I picked it up expecting something quick, fun, and brainless. Unfortunately, even though my expectations were low, they still weren't met. Meh.

Midnight Cove is a seemingly-idyllic community on the California coast. It's a lovely, close-knit town, which has benefitted financially and technologically from a local tech company. Of course, since this is a Dean Koontz novel, the company's founder is an evil megalom
Fred
Nov 16, 2014 Fred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, re-read
Koontzland Group Read for April 2017

April 2017 Summary stated --- not finished / not done

First read March 2015
New York Times Number 1 Best Seller, February 1989 (hawes.com). A horror theme, Moonhawk Project in Moonlight Cove by Dr. Thomas Shaddock to change the town to his "new people". Chief Coman Wallins begins to help but stopped. The mystery's lead characters; wheelchair veteran bound, Harry Talbort, seeing cremations, Sam Booker (FBI) finding bones, Tressa Lockland looking for a missing sis
Maicie
I couldn't get into this book although I loved the 2 or 3 page afterward. I'm in a reading slump so this review is only as accurate as the frame of mind I am in today. Anyway, I think the story would have been better had it been a couple hundred pages shorter.

Lots of action, LOTS of detail, good vs.evil, smart dog, typical Koontz style. Not a bad thing, really.
Brian Taylor
May 26, 2013 Brian Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this book years ago. I liked it then and I still like it today. There are some things the author does extremely well (tension, building to an enjoyable climax). Others, like the 11-year-old girl who doesn't act anything like an 11-year-old girl, he doesn't do well. Still, an enjoyable read.
Charles
Jul 16, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is my favorite Koontz novel, although it's very close to Phantoms. I think this is a lesson in how a thriller should be written. Just a wonderful work.
Rebekkila
I read this book when I was in my teens and loved it, what the hell was wrong with me?
Johnny
Nov 19, 2010 Johnny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Annette
I got a bad first impression of this book. Nasty, scary, creepy things attack straight out of the gate before the reader even has a chance to get her feet wet, and as I read Koontz for his plots, characters, and philosophical meanderings rather than his horror I almost decided to put it down. But I was glad I stuck with it in the end because it did contain some interesting insights on the human condition.
Plot-wise this is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde updated and writ large, or perhaps more accuratel
Ashley Brown
Jul 09, 2013 Ashley Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the first Koontz I've ever read, but since this I've read a couple including the top-notch 'Odd Thomas'. So I guess the fact that I persevered with Koontz after this goes some way to describing just how much of an enjoyable read this is.

This tells the tales of a few different characters who either live in the quaint little town where this takes place or are drawn there for some reason of another. There have been some macabre, inexplicable deaths in the area lately and as always w
Britta Böhler
Jan 01, 2016 Britta Böhler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2016, kindle
I read this book for the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge (task #1: read a horror book). I've never read Dean Koontz before, nor do I read many horror books and the challenge seemed a good reason to finally remedy that. I picked Midnight because it sounded interesting, and was labeled a cross-genre between horror, crime novel & science fiction.
I had high hopes for the book but unfortunately, it didnt work for me. I quite liked the writing style (although the description of houses, trees and t
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T ...more
Koontzland - Dean...: Midnight (Group Read - April 2017) 5 14 Mar 20, 2017 06:53AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Midnight by Dean Koontz (1989) 1 8 Dec 11, 2015 06:46PM
Language/sexual content in Koontz books? 5 23 Feb 04, 2015 03:30PM
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Fear that Man / Toyman (Ace Double, 23140)
  • Dance with the Devil
  • Dragonfly
  • Invasion
  • The Unwanted

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Even as a child, she had preferred night to day, had enjoyed sitting out in the yard after sunset, under the star-speckled sky listening to frogs and crickets. Darkness soothed. It softened the sharp edges of the world, toned down the too-harsh colors. With the coming of twilight, the sky seemed to recede; the universe expanded. The night was bigger than the day, and in its realm, life seemed to have more possibilities.” 229 likes
“In this world only the paranoid survive.” 81 likes