Start by marking “Demon Seed” as Want to Read:
Demon Seed

Demon Seed

3.39  ·  Rating Details ·  11,136 Ratings  ·  357 Reviews
Susan Harris lived in self-imposed seclusion, in a mansion featuring numerous automated systems controlled by a state-of-the-art computer. Every comfort was provided, and in this often unsafe world of ours, her security was absolute.

But now her security system has been breached, her sanctuary from the outside world violated by an insidious artificial intelligence, which ha
Mass Market Paperback, 301 pages
Published July 1st 1997 by Berkley (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Demon Seed, please sign up.

Cassie Haverstick I think you have to realize all of the trauma that she's been through. She's always been controlled by someone or something else, and she wants to…moreI think you have to realize all of the trauma that she's been through. She's always been controlled by someone or something else, and she wants to finally have control over everything. Alfred is a good example of that. She says "Alfred, turn the lights off" and she knows he'll do it...until he doesn't of course ;) That's why the premise is so scary for her because she thinks she has finally gained control and then she's held prisoner by an invisible intruder. (less)
Odd Thomas by Dean KoontzWatchers by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
51st out of 77 books — 780 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
283rd out of 1,428 books — 4,373 voters

More lists with this book...

Bob Milne
Dec 14, 2011 Bob Milne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I've always had something of a love-hate relationship with Dean Koontz. When he allows himself to be dark and edgy, giving his imagination free reign, he can rival just about any horror author out there. When he gets self-conscious and plays it safe, however, allowing the morality of the tale to tale precedence over the story . . . well, more often than not, he gets violently tossed into the did-not-finish (DNF) pile.

In many ways, it's as if he is one of his own creations, a schizophrenic author
Lyndsey
This book is told from the perspective of a computer system that develops an unnatural obsession with its owner. At least I assume it's a computer system. It was never quite clear if it was a computer, a network, a security system, a house, or all of them.

So, I have a theory of how this book came into existence. Miss Romance novel just went through a bad breakup with Mr Horror novel, so she got drunk and slept with Mr Science Fiction novel, then whoopsie, Miss Romance novel's pregnant!! Who's th
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Excellent!!
Makes you think what might come of the future.
Stephen McQuiggan
Jan 14, 2016 Stephen McQuiggan rated it liked it
A creepy little tale told from the viewpoint of the computer, Proteus, itself, with no distracting voices to question its narcissism. It's also, effectively, a satire on men's attitudes toward women. Proteus dreams of filling the world with clones of himself - I think he may have finally got his wish.
Karla
Dec 13, 2015 Karla rated it really liked it
Johnny
Nov 19, 2010 Johnny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Tasmin
Feb 17, 2009 Tasmin added it
This book to me was a little weird. My favorite character in this book was the guy that was working for the computer. He would steal body parts so that he could make a whole body for the computer to become human. My least favorite character was the computer. He obsessed over something he couldnt have. This book I maybe would read again, but its not for sure. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Dean Koontz books and horror books. The part of the book that kept me reading of course was ...more
Chad Cantrell
I almost gave this one a four-star rating, not necessarily because it's a great read, but because it's entertaining while also being relatively "quick." If I had been forced to invest more time, I might actually have gone with a two. So, I guess what I'm saying is...it's one of "those." Those books that you know in your heart you'll never think about again, those books that haven't changed your life, that haven't offered anything new, but that you still had fun reading. The plot is laughable, ...more
Josh Barnett
Sep 14, 2012 Josh Barnett rated it it was amazing
I absolutly loved how this book was written. It is a unique story in and of it self. Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors I have read. I have read 5 books by him so far and each one had a great story.

This book is about an evil intelligent computer breaking into a woman's home. It is actually set after the events of the book since the computer is telling the story to his creator. I won't say anymore about the story of the book. I might had given too much away.

The only thing I did not like ab
Amanda Kelley
Apr 27, 2010 Amanda Kelley rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Oh dear, this has to be the worse and most badly written book I have EVER read. Seriously, it makes Twilight look like the best book ever written. I have no idea how this was published but it was such a waste of paper, in my honest opinion.

This book is told in a computer’s POV, which could have been interesting but no. The computer literally repeats it’s self 1000 times in this book., It’s the same lines over and over again. Also, when the computer wasn’t repeating it’s self, the rest was reall
Donna
Feb 20, 2009 Donna rated it liked it
I read this book in one day (as I predicted). I will now be looking for a copy of the original book released in 1973 as I am interested to know how much was changed in the re-issue. I had a hard time at the beginning of the book getting into the narrative, but that changed a few chapters in and I was once again enthralled with the plot. Not one of his best works for sure, but an interesting read none the less.
Maciek
Dec 25, 2009 Maciek rated it liked it
I first saw the movie. I liked it. I was surprised to learn that it was a screen adaptation of a book - while it has its flaws, it was overall enjoyable. Koontz usually has great problems with endings, but not here - loved the ending ! Actually it's worth to read the book alone just to see it.
Kasia
Aug 08, 2010 Kasia rated it really liked it
This vintage Koontz, although rewritten since it's first publishing was a very fast read, and I liked that, a story with a punch that I got through in less than a day. In a nutshell it's a tale about Susan, a woman who was a survivor of abuse as a child from her father and then from her ex husband. She sealed herself off in a mansion with sate of the art computer system that was supposed to protect her from everyone. The whole house was monitored by Proteus, the ultra smart computer system, one ...more
K.J. Chapman
I gave this book 3.5/5. This review was first published on my blog: Writerly Bookish Stuff

I am re-reading some of my Koontz books that have been sat on my shelves for about fifteen years, and I am still enjoying finding books I haven’t read by this prolific author. Demon Seed was given to me, and I haven’t read this one before. So, this review is based on a one time experience.

The first few chapters freaked me out. Intelligent AI takes over the security systems of a woman’s, Susan’s, house. Adam
Maicie
Oct 17, 2009 Maicie rated it liked it
As an avid Koontz fan (that sounds nasty, doesn't it) I enjoyed "Demon Seed." I haven't read all his stuff and almost passed this one up because, um, "Demon Seed"?!? But I was out of books and the library was closed, the book store was closed and the grocery store was open. What would you do?

This is a quick read and, okay, not very deep. It has all of the Koontz humor and quirky dialog. The main character is a computer who has all the characteristics of a sociopathic, spousal abusing monster wit
Chana
This was better than I thought it would be. It concerns an AI computer that wants to have a body. "He" takes over a woman's house through her security system with the idea that, through another person's hands, he can artificially inseminate her and create a new race. He brings a madman into the house to be his hands. The woman, who is the x-wife of the creator of the AI, is in a fight for her life. This is a clever book, sly and intelligent. The suspense is maintained through the last word.

This
Jason Leblanc
Oct 27, 2011 Jason Leblanc rated it really liked it
This was a fast and fun story that I would enjoy reading again. Koontz writes in such a way that it really gets my blood pumping. I had the hugest smile on my face when the "wet music" happened. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars was because it ended so quickly! the last chapter could have had so much more detail. He spends alot of time deeply describing some things that, in my opinion, are not important but rushes through the ending as if the climax doesn't matter at all. Regardless, it was ...more
Paul Anderson
Mar 28, 2008 Paul Anderson rated it liked it
Although this is one of the most unique books I've ever read, it really wasn't that great. The entire story is written from the point of view of a robotic security system, which sounds excellent, but Koontz definitely had a hard time with it. Anyone would. It's incredibly hard to write from the point of view of something that doesn't have a personality or emotions. The end of this novel is fantastic, however, and I would recommend it to anyone who might be tired of the same ol, same ol.
Ani
May 13, 2008 Ani rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
This might just be my favorite Koontz novel I've read to date. Not necessarily because I feel it's the best, but because it's so different from the rest of his work. He stepped so far away from his formula of hero-crisis-on the run-showdown-happily ever after. That being said, it's a scifi book, which is a genre that tends to only appeal to it's particular niche of readers.

I was completely facinated with the novel, but you might want to take that recommendation with a grain of salt.
Sunflower
Apr 20, 2010 Sunflower rated it did not like it
This book pretty much sucked. My son lent it to me, and he doesn't lend me his reading material lightly, so I finished it. Mercifully, it wasn't a long book. And it was repetitive-"let me out of this box let me out of this box" etc etc. Though I have to admit the idea of the story was a good one, (intelligent computer tries to make itself a human body to inhabit) the execution was not.
Don't read it. Apparently some of his other books are better.
Erleen Alvarez
For and Information Technology student like me, i really enjoyed reading it. It is very futuristic in the sense that almost anything is possible in the world. The very idea of having a new species of perfect human, intrigue me in what will happen if Proteus succeeded in his plan. As expected to Dean Koontz, it is an amazing sci-fi novel that can be enjoyed by everyone.
Colin
Dec 26, 2010 Colin rated it it was amazing
I'm genuinely surprised at the number of negative comments about this book. It's horror, it's intended to be horror, and it certainly scared the hell out of me. It kept me on the edge from page 1, and I was so tense towards the end that I accidentally tore one of the pages. Excellent work. Great job. Loved it!
Fishface
May 06, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
This is a review of the original, un-rewritten version of the novel. WOW, what a messed-up, brutal, psychologically twisted story. I could hardly put it down. Thanks, CinemApocryphon, for having this book on your shelf for me to find!
Chelsie drew
May 26, 2013 Chelsie drew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readi
Wow, I loved it. For my first Dean Koontz book im impressed. It did have scary elements with a hint of hope. There were times where I could not handle the suspense, I needed to know what happend. Perfectly executed. Dean Koontz is brilliant. Ahh
Suby
Jul 09, 2012 Suby rated it it was amazing
Over the years I have read plenty of ScFi novels about artificial intelligence and have always been intrigued about the topic.
But this book is something very special. Here the artificial intelligence is self conscious too. All is now needs is a body and soul.
An extraordinary book.
Sara Werne
Jan 11, 2010 Sara Werne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Four words: I love that computer.

A computer, no, an entity he is. Promotheus. Adam II. The computer said "You've got pretty nipples" and meant it. The computer is just awesome! Don't know how many times I've read this book. It's a stalker-computer!
Nina
Nov 02, 2009 Nina rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the I dont know what!! It's a computer gone mad, and if you have not read it, then you really need to. Makes you think about the computer right in front of you!!
Yusuf Zayed
Dec 04, 2015 Yusuf Zayed rated it it was ok
I didn't like the fact that the two hundred page of this novel just ended in two pages or so, in fact I didn't like the End at all, such a poor end for sure.
Utkarsh Bansal
Feb 29, 2016 Utkarsh Bansal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Utkarsh by: Professor Dwivedi
Shelves: novels
Even trying to figure out how many times I almost fell asleep trying to read this 211-page novel isn't as boring as the novel itself.
Koontzland - Dean...: Demon Seed (Group Read - November 2013) 39 87 Dec 21, 2013 10:57AM
  • Fear that Man / Toyman (Ace Double, 23140)
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Factoring Humanity
  • Predators
  • Fountain Society

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Then what are you? An electronic Hannibal Lector? You can't eat my liver with fava beans through a modem, you know.” 12 likes
“In time, however, I came to understand that one can adore and desire that which is forever beyond reach. This might, in fact, be the hardest truth of human existence.” 3 likes