Demon Seed

Demon Seed

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  8,398 ratings  ·  245 reviews
A woman is imprisoned and tortured by her state-of-the-art computer security system -- and its perverse desire...
Published July 1st 1997 by Berkley (first published 1971)

Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
54th out of 69 books — 653 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
269th out of 1,123 books — 3,347 voters

More lists with this book...

Bob Milne
I've always had something of a love-hate relationship with Dean Koontz. When he allows himself to be dark and edgy, giving his imagination free reign, he can rival just about any horror author out there. When he gets self-conscious and plays it safe, however, allowing the morality of the tale to tale precedence over the story . . . well, more often than not, he gets violently tossed into the did-not-finish (DNF) pile.

In many ways, it's as if he is one of his own creations, a schizophrenic author...more
Lyndsey
This book is told from the perspective of a computer system that develops an unnatural obsession with its owner. At least I assume it's a computer system. It was never quite clear if it was a computer, a network, a security system, a house, or all of them.

So, I have a theory of how this book came into existence. Miss Romance novel just went through a bad breakup with Mr Horror novel, so she got drunk and slept with Mr Science Fiction novel, then whoopsie, Miss Romance novel's pregnant!! Who's th...more
Tasmin
Feb 17, 2009 Tasmin added it
This book to me was a little weird. My favorite character in this book was the guy that was working for the computer. He would steal body parts so that he could make a whole body for the computer to become human. My least favorite character was the computer. He obsessed over something he couldnt have. This book I maybe would read again, but its not for sure. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Dean Koontz books and horror books. The part of the book that kept me reading of course was...more
Josh Barnett
I absolutly loved how this book was written. It is a unique story in and of it self. Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors I have read. I have read 5 books by him so far and each one had a great story.

This book is about an evil intelligent computer breaking into a woman's home. It is actually set after the events of the book since the computer is telling the story to his creator. I won't say anymore about the story of the book. I might had given too much away.

The only thing I did not like ab...more
Manda Kelley
Apr 27, 2010 Manda Kelley rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Oh dear, this has to be the worse and most badly written book I have EVER read. Seriously, it makes Twilight look like the best book ever written. I have no idea how this was published but it was such a waste of paper, in my honest opinion.

This book is told in a computer’s POV, which could have been interesting but no. The computer literally repeats it’s self 1000 times in this book., It’s the same lines over and over again. Also, when the computer wasn’t repeating it’s self, the rest was reall...more
Donna
I read this book in one day (as I predicted). I will now be looking for a copy of the original book released in 1973 as I am interested to know how much was changed in the re-issue. I had a hard time at the beginning of the book getting into the narrative, but that changed a few chapters in and I was once again enthralled with the plot. Not one of his best works for sure, but an interesting read none the less.
Chad Cantrell
I almost gave this one a four-star rating, not necessarily because it's a great read, but because it's entertaining while also being relatively "quick." If I had been forced to invest more time, I might actually have gone with a two. So, I guess what I'm saying is...it's one of "those." Those books that you know in your heart you'll never think about again, those books that haven't changed your life, that haven't offered anything new, but that you still had fun reading. The plot is laughable, bu...more
Maicie
As an avid Koontz fan (that sounds nasty, doesn't it) I enjoyed "Demon Seed." I haven't read all his stuff and almost passed this one up because, um, "Demon Seed"?!? But I was out of books and the library was closed, the book store was closed and the grocery store was open. What would you do?

This is a quick read and, okay, not very deep. It has all of the Koontz humor and quirky dialog. The main character is a computer who has all the characteristics of a sociopathic, spousal abusing monster wit...more
Johnny
Alex (Al)
First review from December 13th 2010: Oh so creepy but good. I could not sleep until I finished this book and it's two-thirty in the morning. So, my favorite characters were Arling and Proteus. Arling because (view spoiler) and Proteus because he was the perfect, how should I put it, computer creep! Don't laugh, like I said, it's two in the morning. Anyway, great, short, creepy read.

Second Review from Septe...more
Jason Leblanc
This was a fast and fun story that I would enjoy reading again. Koontz writes in such a way that it really gets my blood pumping. I had the hugest smile on my face when the "wet music" happened. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars was because it ended so quickly! the last chapter could have had so much more detail. He spends alot of time deeply describing some things that, in my opinion, are not important but rushes through the ending as if the climax doesn't matter at all. Regardless, it was...more
This might just be my favorite Koontz novel I've read to date. Not necessarily because I feel it's the best, but because it's so different from the rest of his work. He stepped so far away from his formula of hero-crisis-on the run-showdown-happily ever after. That being said, it's a scifi book, which is a genre that tends to only appeal to it's particular niche of readers.

I was completely facinated with the novel, but you might want to take that recommendation with a grain of salt.
Paul Anderson
Although this is one of the most unique books I've ever read, it really wasn't that great. The entire story is written from the point of view of a robotic security system, which sounds excellent, but Koontz definitely had a hard time with it. Anyone would. It's incredibly hard to write from the point of view of something that doesn't have a personality or emotions. The end of this novel is fantastic, however, and I would recommend it to anyone who might be tired of the same ol, same ol.
Sunflower
This book pretty much sucked. My son lent it to me, and he doesn't lend me his reading material lightly, so I finished it. Mercifully, it wasn't a long book. And it was repetitive-"let me out of this box let me out of this box" etc etc. Though I have to admit the idea of the story was a good one, (intelligent computer tries to make itself a human body to inhabit) the execution was not.
Don't read it. Apparently some of his other books are better.
Ani
Erleen (Books For YA!)
For and Information Technology student like me, i really enjoyed reading it. It is very futuristic in the sense that almost anything is possible in the world. The very idea of having a new species of perfect human, intrigue me in what will happen if Proteus succeeded in his plan. As expected to Dean Koontz, it is an amazing sci-fi novel that can be enjoyed by everyone.
Lauren (Likes Literature)
I don't even know how I feel about this book. I wasn't planning on reading t, but I was at the thrift store again and I have a tendency to buy all of the books that don't have coffee stains all over them I needed something to read at the beach.

I happened to pick up a 'dollar-store thriller', because of course I did. That being said, I kind of liked it.

(Spoiler-free review, mostly at least, for a change.)
Summary: Susan Harris recently divorced her abusive husband Alex, and is living in a house b...more
Colin
I'm genuinely surprised at the number of negative comments about this book. It's horror, it's intended to be horror, and it certainly scared the hell out of me. It kept me on the edge from page 1, and I was so tense towards the end that I accidentally tore one of the pages. Excellent work. Great job. Loved it!
Maciek
I first saw the movie. I liked it. I was surprised to learn that it was a screen adaptation of a book - while it has its flaws, it was overall enjoyable. Koontz usually has great problems with endings, but not here - loved the ending ! Actually it's worth to read the book alone just to see it.
Suby
Over the years I have read plenty of ScFi novels about artificial intelligence and have always been intrigued about the topic.
But this book is something very special. Here the artificial intelligence is self conscious too. All is now needs is a body and soul.
An extraordinary book.
Keith Kidby
A sexually frustrated AI holds a woman captive in her own home.
It's ok, though: it loves her.
The interesting thing about Demon Seed (other than the title being a wee bit misleading) is that it is told from the AI's perspective. I had been expecting another standard SF/horror, so I was pleasantly surprised by the twist.
The book was first published in the 70's, but it was recently adapted and it works well in the modern age. Koontz also added humour. Lots of humour. The AI's contradictory rambli...more
Sara Werne
Four words: I love that computer.

A computer, no, an entity he is. Promotheus. Adam II. The computer said "You've got pretty nipples" and meant it. The computer is just awesome! Don't know how many times I've read this book. It's a stalker-computer!
Chelsie drew
Wow, I loved it. For my first Dean Koontz book im impressed. It did have scary elements with a hint of hope. There were times where I could not handle the suspense, I needed to know what happend. Perfectly executed. Dean Koontz is brilliant. Ahh
Robb Bridson
I am used to being disappointed by Koontz, and this one was especially disappointing... but it gets a special place because of the interesting style and the slight boost it's given to me following through more with my own writing (in a similar vein, a disembodied and malign intelligence narrating its own story). But what really annoys me is that I read the post-1997 version, and apparently it is far different from the original novel on which the movie was based-- and I liked the movie a lot!

The...more
Jenna
I completely devoured this novel. What an incredible concept and well executed book. I recently recommended a Dean Koontz book, Tick Tock, to a coworker and decided to pick up one of his books from my bookshelf. It was an exhilirating read that I couldn't put down. It was told in first-person perspective of a supercomputer Adam Two, or Proteus as he prefers, who hacks into a beautiful shut-in video game programmer Susan's home and life. He accesses her financial accounts, electrifies her doorkno...more
Nina
This book is one of the I dont know what!! It's a computer gone mad, and if you have not read it, then you really need to. Makes you think about the computer right in front of you!!
Diane
I bought this book for three reasons: 1) It was by Dean Koontz so maybe it was decent. 2) It's called Demon Seed, which is totally ridiculous! 3) It was $1. Well, I don't know if you have ever seen that Family Guy episode where they are making fun of Stephen King coming up with terrible ideas for his books, like a lamp that attacks people. The publisher says, "Are you even trying anymore?" That's basically how I felt when I read this book. It was weird, but not weird enough to be interesting. Mo...more
Solanaceae
Judging by the rather negative criticism I was expecting something bad but I really enjoyed it.

The subject's quite relevant to our times. I like Koontz' writing, he keeps to the story and depicts the events in a rather professional (but not cold) way. You won't hear him pummeling you with similes the way Stephen King would.
As for the scare factor, I found myself pleasantly disturbed throughout the book. The story is nicely paced and you can't help but wonder what will happen at the end.

The ori...more
Bern
Demon Seed is a curious book because of many things: it was first published in 1973, turned into a movie with Julie Christie soon thereafter, and it launched Dean Koontz into the stratosphere of the publishing world. And then, in 1997, Demon Seed was entirely rewritten by Koontz and repackaged to be sold again.

The 1973 version isn't anywhere to be found anymore, except for musty old editions for sale in various sites on the interwebs, which I would never buy because I'm utterly horrified of used...more
Jessica
Not the best of Koontz' work, I have to say. After reading the afterword about how this was actually a rewrite of a previously more awful version of the story I kind of want to read the original. He states that in this newer version he added in more humor, and ironically that is what turned me off the whole way time. The machine's (yes, you are a machine!) dry, unintended humor and repetitiveness was off putting to say the least. It felt forced and satirical rather than creepy and 'demonic', and...more
Koontzland - Dean...: Demon Seed (Group Read - November 2013) 40 82 Dec 21, 2013 10:57AM
  • Shadow Fires
  • The Funhouse
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Nightmare Journey
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Books of Blood, Vol. 6
  • Baal

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na...more
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Phantoms Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)

“Then what are you? An electronic Hannibal Lector? You can't eat my liver with fava beans through a modem, you know.” 12 likes
“In time, however, I came to understand that one can adore and desire that which is forever beyond reach. This might, in fact, be the hardest truth of human existence.” 1 likes