Start by marking “The Kiss That Counted” as Want to Read:
The Kiss That Counted

The Kiss That Counted

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  384 ratings  ·  16 reviews
CJ Roshe knows she can never relax her vigilance, especially when her grip on her secrets begins to slip. Contact with the good-hearted Karita Hanssen leaves CJ wishing for impossible things--friends, roots, a lover who knows her real name.

With a life cheerfully balanced between all the things that she loves, Karita gives freely of her time and affection. She isn't lookin
Published May 27th 2008 by Bella Books (first published May 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Kiss That Counted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kiss That Counted

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
164th out of 1,095 books — 1,347 voters
And Playing the Role of Herself by K.E. LaneWaiting in the Wings by Melissa BraydenJericho by Ann McManAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenThirteen Hours by Meghan O'Brien
Best F/F Romance Books
134th out of 511 books — 339 voters

More lists with this book...

Jem
Goodreads has been pushing this book at me ever since I joined. I love the cover but somehow the blurb is so vague, it doesn't really stand out from the rest of the 1001 lesfic romances out there. Boy, was I surprised at the actual premise and even more so at the execution.

CJ is very good at convincing people to part with their money--willingly. She's parlayed this talent into a very successful real estate career. But CJ has a past so dark that whereever she goes, she is constantly looking over
Karin Kallmaker
Aug 03, 2009 Karin Kallmaker added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: by-kk
Winner, Lambda Literary Award for Lesbian Romance
Winner, Ann Bannon Popular Fiction Award, GCLS
Natsu
Longish but worth the time. :D
WillowBe
I really liked this book and look forward to reading her lambda awarded books.I have found that books about lesbians by lesbians are extremely romantic. They are as romantic as gay books are sexually over the top. Just the male/female thing gone to it's natural extremes. The writing around pages 210 to 215 is so transcendent in its description of their love- it's beyond beautiful. It's almost soul-stirring. Their is v. good sensuality. But the sexuality, is very discreet, almost as if Ms. K is s ...more
Alena
What a surprisingly good read. Surprisingly because I was less than enchanted with Karin Kallmaker's last novels. So, I bought it anyway because I like some of her books a lot and keep hoping it will be a winner.

And it was. I don't know how to comment on the story without giving too much away and on the other hand doesn't sound too shallow. Because it isn't. Both characters and plot are complex. It is apparent from the beginning that CJ is running from something, primarily personal attachments i
Jay Odon
"Twenty. Who knew? Little perennials, where did they come from?"

CJ Roshe is one of the busiest Real Estate agents in the city and has no time for a relationship, except for an occasional hookup with the equally busy Abby,. Karita Hanssen is a high up receptionist for a law firm, and has no time for a relationship either from her day job and her volunteering at both a pet shelter and a woman's shelter, there she gets all that she needs in the arms of Emily, who runs the woman's shelter.

Two ships
Shay Caroline
Karin Kallmaker is an old hand at the lesbian romance genre, and if girl-meets-girl is your thing, then you really can't go wrong reading anything she's written. In this one, CJ Roshe is a successful businesswoman with a past that may be gaining on her. She is careful not to make any connections that can't be broken at a moment's notice. Then she meets Karita Hanssen, femme goddess extraordinaire, and all bets are off, especially after sharing one very special and unexpected kiss. Can love conqu ...more
Filia Libri
Ursprünglich veröffentlicht auf Anima Libri - Buchseele

Nach “Und auf einmal ist es Liebe” habe ich mir prompt die restlichen ins Deutsche übersetzten Romane von Karin Kallmaker zugelegt – die gedruckten Versionen gibt es nur noch gebraucht und ich hatte Glück und habe alle sechs Titel in einem Paket für kleines Geld bekommen. Als erstes habe ich mir “Es begann mit einem Kuss” zu Gemüte geführt.

Und ich fand das Buch gar nicht schlecht – wobei man definitiv sagen muss, dass es nichts neues enthält
Kirsten
I stopped reading this book because it had too many characters that I couldn't keep track of, they kept going to a cafe where they ordered fake coffee drinks that don't exist (obviously the author needs to do some research) and it took place in Boulder where my ex is from, so I kept being reminded of her, which sucked the most!
Cheri
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I did find it very predictable and easy to figure out. BUT I liked the ending quite a bit. I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could. I rounded down because of the predictability. And a little because an Escort is a Ford, not a Subaru.
Carolina
Couldn't put it down, great lesbian fiction! Every once in a while you just need some intrigue and happy endings, and this one was great.
Fub51n
The main characters and secondary cast were all so well-rounded, believable and lovable. I enjoyed the slow unfolding story of CJ's past and her current secrets. Her character was complex and held just the right level of angst.
Kris Crane
Amazing book i loved every moment this book had to offer the way that Karin can so masterfully describe a moment between two women is truly a gift, no other lesbian romance novel has been able to impress me with true knowledge of lesbian romance!! And jus in case anyone wonders this book is true lesbian romance not erotica I so loathe the mindless drivel of lesbian erotica it jus doesn't capture the true emotion and intensity between two women.
Anna
Not my favorite, a little too issue-centric. I couldn't get into the characters as much as I would have liked.
B. Hale
Superb read, not counting the domestic violence
C.J. Reid
Darker than usual but that is the appeal.
Lady Avalon
Lady Avalon marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Brenna
Brenna is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Sophia Tran
Sophia Tran marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • Hell's Highway
  • Breaking the Ice
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Finding Home
  • Passion's Bright Fury
  • The Best Defense
Karin Kallmaker has been exclusively devoted to lesbian fiction since the publication of her first novel in 1989. As an author published by the storied Naiad Press, she worked with Barbara Grier and Donna McBride, and has been fortunate to be mentored by a number of editors, including Katherine V. Forrest.
In addition to multiple Lambda Literary Awards, she has been featured as a Stonewall Library
More about Karin Kallmaker...
Unforgettable Wild Things Painted Moon All the Wrong Places Touchwood