Start by marking “How to Thrive as a Teacher Leader” as Want to Read:
How to Thrive as a Teacher Leader

How to Thrive as a Teacher Leader

Challenging times demand dynamic leadership. Schools rely on teachers to assume a variety of leadership roles, both formal and informal, including department chair, peer coach, faculty representative, and Web page curator. With little or no leadership training, however, many teachers are unprepared to take advantage of such opportunities.

In How to Thrive as a Teacher Lead

Published June 29th 2005 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How to Thrive as a Teacher Leader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Thrive as a Teacher Leader

Angie
Apr 12, 2012 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: professional
The author of this book breaks the chapters in to different types of leadership that build on each other. Each chapter is also broken down in to subcategories that fit under the overall chapter title. From there, he has practical ideas and strategies that he has used and encourages the reader to use for each of the topics he writes about. The book also includes great reproducible resources as appendices.

Overall, this book is easy to read and understand. I could easily picture the scenarios that
Jessyca
Aug 14, 2014 Jessyca rated it liked it
This is my second time to read this book, but this time with a different lens and at a different school. For a school starting it's journey in continuous improvement it has some very practical ideas. It is also good to refresh and remind myself that there are some very necessary things to consider when you are a leader. I don't want to give too much away since I will be doing a book study with all my K-12 teacher leaders this year, but I am happy to see some practical advise that aligns with our ...more
Sharon
Mar 30, 2011 Sharon rated it it was ok
In comparison to the other leadership books I have read this one was dull and not too insightful. I should have read the book instead of getting my masters degree because the book basically summed up what I paid thousands of dollars to learn. Be a good person and people will respect you more as a leader.
Kristin
Aug 19, 2015 Kristin rated it liked it
A helpful resource and guide for current and future teacher leaders. Slightly out of date in references to NCLB and other early 2000s trends in education, but the message still rings true. Teacher leaders need to empower their colleagues to greatness.
Grace
Jul 16, 2015 Grace rated it really liked it
Easy read, which is helpful for a 4 week intensive summer class. It gave specific examples of things to do to take leadership, which I appreciated. Although it was kind of heavy on a Department Chair leader and not just teacher leaders.
Teri
Jul 07, 2015 Teri rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Okay book about different qualities needed for teacher leaders have, how to develop them. good book study. can be stilted at times but with discussion, i think the book would be sufficient for new grade level chairs.
Bethe
Dec 16, 2014 Bethe rated it it was ok
Shelves: professional
just read a few chapters of this book, some good suggestions on helping with school morale. Many fellow campus leaders agree with the suggestion that paying attention to staff in a positive way is more appreciated than little trinkets.
Rhonda
Dec 14, 2013 Rhonda added it
This book was okay. It was informative and well written, but if you are not a leader (I am not), the information seemed admirable but irrelevant.
Kristen
Aug 05, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it

Well, another book for my post grad school continuing ed.....

It would be an alright resource for a new or upcoming department chair, but nothing too dazzling. Most of it is common sense.
David
Jul 28, 2013 David rated it it was ok
The appendices are good. Every thing else is pretty obvious and elementary. Don't waste the time reading it. Just use the appendices.
Marcy Stearns
Marcy Stearns rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Ellie
Ellie rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2008
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2009
Angelique Clarke
Angelique Clarke rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2008
Mandy
Mandy rated it it was ok
May 05, 2014
Jody
Jody rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2011
April Camuso
April Camuso rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Larry Jarocki
Larry Jarocki rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2014
Major Payne
Major Payne rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Julie Scott
Julie Scott rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2012
Erica
Erica rated it it was ok
May 23, 2009
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Vicky
Vicky rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2010
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011