Start by marking “What Baby Needs (Sears Children Library)” as Want to Read:
What Baby Needs (Sears Children Library)

What Baby Needs (Sears Children Library)

When a family brings a new baby home, there are many changes. Older siblings may find it hard to understand the needs of the new baby, as well as the demands placed on mom and dad. Based on the attachment-parenting theories of the foremost authorities on parenting and childcare, William Sears, M.D., and Martha Sears, R.N., this book clearly explains baby's needs. The text ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about What Baby Needs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Baby Needs

Amber
Jan 14, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it
What Baby Needs discusses the changes that occur with a new addition to the family, how it may affect older siblings, and how to involve them.

The target audience of What Baby Needs are older siblings - ones who are still young and need to be taught what it means to welcome a younger sibling into the family. Through text and illustrations, it discusses what babies need, what the older siblings can do that babies cannot do, and things the older siblings can still do with mom and dad.

The book conta
Rachel
Apr 15, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
I got this for Lily because she LOVED another book in this collection, "Baby on the Way." However, this book just didn't resonate with her in the same way. She did like it and it kept her attention, but she didn't ask as many questions and hasn't really requested it since. Also, I'd say this book is good for parents that follow the Sears style of attachment parenting, but may not fit for other families. For example, the book depicts breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and baby-wearing, which are all thi ...more
Bella
Jun 08, 2014 Bella rated it did not like it
This was too preachy for me ('You are Mommy and Daddy's "big helper"', '... you can help [Mommy] by quickly buckling your seat belt', etc.). I just want my toddler to be a toddler, thanks.

I will breastfeed, babywear, have the baby sleeping in my room and I do generally subscribe to the attachment-parenting philosophy the authors are pushing. I just don't like the way it's presented in this book.
Ann
Jan 24, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing
As my due date approached, we read this to our son to prepare him for his new brother. It is an excellent book. It does not tell the older child that baby's needs are more important than his. It clearly explains the changes to the family in a positive way, and gives the older child suggestions on how to help.
My oldest adores his little brother and had from the start. I think this book (and Baby on the Way) deserve a lot of credit for the lack of jealousy.
Jenny
Mar 24, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it
This is a sweet book intended to be read to older siblings whose families are expecting a baby. It explains babies' needs and includes the siblings with the care giving process. It also addresses the older child's needs to be loved and comforted by the parents. It gives a holistic approach to child rearing.
Jami Dwyer
Jul 17, 2013 Jami Dwyer rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiddies, three
Very nice, but my almost-2-year-old didn't get it at all. The concept of "baby" wasn't that resonant for him and the helping phase hadn't kicked in yet. Might be great for older children, or kids who love babies early on.
Joshua's Mom
Apr 10, 2012 Joshua's Mom rated it really liked it
My son loves this book and I found it to be much better than other books I've found on the same subject. Although we do not follow Sears method of attachment parenting, we still found his book very useful and most of it was applicable to our family.
Rachel
Mar 04, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Jen
Oct 29, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Great book for those who have a little one and are expecting baby #2 (or #3..#4..etc..) my daughter enjoys when I read this to her, and I love the Attachement Parenting factor as well.
Erin Barrett
Erin Barrett rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2008
The Yellowwood School
The Yellowwood School rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Amymarie814
Amymarie814 rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
Malika J.
Malika J. rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Tia Hall
Tia Hall rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2008
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Lynnette Li
Lynnette Li rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Kathryn G. Chartier
Kathryn G. Chartier rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Philip
Nov 06, 2013 Philip rated it it was ok
Decent book to prepare siblings for a new baby's arrival.
Stephanie Jarrell
Stephanie Jarrell rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Catherine Nathanson
Catherine Nathanson rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Lucy Benton
Lucy Benton rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2017
Jessie Jury
Jessie Jury rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Shannon Barnes
Shannon Barnes rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Veronica
Veronica rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2010
Naomi
Naomi rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2010
Aaron Bruenger
Aaron Bruenger rated it really liked it
May 06, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dr. Sears, or Dr. Bill as his "little patients" call him, is the father of eight children as well as the author of over 30 books on childcare. Dr. Bill is an Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine. Dr. Bill received his pediatric training at Harvard Medical School's Children's Hospital in Boston and The Hospital for Sick Children in T ...more
More about William Sears...