The New Baby

The New Baby

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
For a firstborn child, the arrival of a baby brother or sister is almost sure to arouse mixed feelings. Aloing with all the excitement, suddenly someone else is sharing the attention and love that the firstborn used to have all along. "In his direct and understanding approch, Fred Rogers gets right to the heart of a potential situation, letting children know they're not al...more
Published June 18th 1996 by Puffin

Betsy
I thought that this was a very sweet book! I found it at the library and love how there are pictures of families from several different backgrounds. There's also a wonderful picture of a mother obviously breastfeeding next to a picture of a father bottle-feeding so children can see both ways of feeding a baby. This is not a book about the physical process of pregnancy or childbirth, but about how children can deal with the not so sweet feelings that are completely normal when getting a new sibli...more
Ted Parsons
In my teaching career, i have dealt with students whose mother recently had or will soon be having a baby, The student sibling is dealing with a variety of emotions like jealousy, envy, joy etc. This book has a very understandable and effective way of explaining why a student may feel these things.
Kathryn
I tried to avoid books that talked about anger or animosity towards the baby, which this book does address. Mr. Rogers does it well, though, so a useful addition in starting a conversation about the new arrival.
Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
This book is pretty dated...the pictures are fascinating studies in history, but the content can't be beat. We checked this one out from the library before #2 was born and it really helped #1 get what was going on.
Emelia
This book focuses too much on the negatives of becoming a sibling. Even though it tries to address, some of the issues that will come up, the positives don't outweigh the negatives.
Rachel
Just read this book and fell in love with Mr. Rogers again. I didn't know he was an author but now that I do I have a goal to read all his books.
K
This book just doesn't work for our family. I prefer books that are more positive about the older child's transition into becoming a sibling.
Megan Bratton
Written in child friendly language. Discusses how a child may feel about a new baby and how to feel with those emotions.
Jared Leaman
Jared Leaman marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Racheal Marton
Racheal Marton marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Alice
Alice added it
Dec 07, 2013
Asa Don Brown
Asa Don Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Amberle
Amberle marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Christin
Christin marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Erica
Erica added it
Apr 09, 2013
Conquering Dinner
Conquering Dinner marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Silvia Morales
Silvia Morales marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2012
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Fred McFeely Rogers was an American educator, minister, songwriter, and television host. Rogers was the host of the television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, in production from 1968 to 2001. Rogers was also an ordained Presbyterian minister.
More about Fred Rogers...
The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember Life's Journeys According to Mister Rogers: Things to Remember Along the Way Dear Mister Rogers, Does It Ever Rain in Your Neighborhood?: Letters to Mister Rogers Many Ways to Say I Love You: Wisdom for Parents and Children from Mister Rogers You Are Special: Neighborly Wit And Wisdom From Mister Rogers