Start by marking “The New Baby (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
The New Baby (Little Critter)

The New Baby (Little Critter)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  3,693 ratings  ·  52 reviews
The new baby takes some getting used to, but she's worth it.
Published October 15th 1999 by Golden Books Publishing Company, Inc. (first published June 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The New Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Baby

Julius, the Baby of the World by Kevin HenkesThere's Going to Be a Baby by John BurninghamThe New Baby by Mercer MayerWaiting for Baby by Harriet ZiefertI'm a Big Sister by Joanna Cole
New Baby Siblings
3rd out of 64 books — 12 voters
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey RinkerNap-a-Roo by Kristy KurjanMy Busy Week by Lovey SweetiepieCharlie The Cavalier Begs for Attention by Lisa Marie Rusczyk
Books I read my Toddlers
12th out of 15 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Ty O'Brien
Guadalupe Sanchez
30. The new baby by Mayer Mercer
Genre: fiction, children’s literature Reading level:age 3 and up Format: good

The new baby is a book about the little critter that is super excited for the new baby at his home. So he tries doing things with his baby sister that makes him upset and sad because his baby sister doesn’t laugh at his funny jokes or pays attention at his stories. He then asks his mother what he can do to make his baby sister happy. His mother tells him to play with her rattle or rock
This book is about a little boy who is getting a new sister. He at first tries to do things like play with toys, read her comic books and tries to play games and gets frustrated that she doesn’t do anything back with him. He slowly learns that you cuddle, hold and love little babies and by the end of the book he loves taking her on walks to show her off to all of his friends. Bringing home a new baby is tough for little children and this book shows the true struggles that older siblings would ex ...more
Lauren Edgar
I choose this book out of all the preparing for a new baby books because it is with a character that is already familiar to so many children. The well loved little critter gets a new baby sister. My favorite thing about this book is it isn't perfect from the start. Little critter tried reading to the new baby she doesn't listen, he tries making funny faces and she cries, he doesn't know what to do with the new baby and is having trouble dealing with it. But finally he finds what he can do with a ...more
Caitlyn Nicole
Mayer, Mercer. (1999). The New Baby (Little Critter). New York:Golden Books Publishing Company, Inc.
Setting: Little critter's home
Genre: Beginning Books for children

In this charming story, little critter becomes a big brother. He doesn't know how to handle the idea of mommy having a baby. I would read this book in class for a Pre-K class because most parents have their second child after their first enters school. This book has not won any awards.
A new baby is a lot to take in! Critter tries to do some of his favorite things with the baby, like read comic books, but the new baby doesn't seem to notice. Eventually he realizes that new babies can't do all the same things that big kids can do, but there are special things that you can do to play with new babies. This book is perfect for talking about differences between babies and grown kids, helping them prepare for new life in their families!
Kelly Workman
This book is a wonderful book that teaches children who are new to being older siblings that babies may be a handful, but they are worth it in the end. It is also good for children who are younger siblings, to help them understand their older siblings' frustrations. I gave this book three stars because, as a future teacher, this would not be much help in the classroom. I do, however, recommend this book for parents.
I wonder what the gestational process of these little critters is like. The father doesn't bother explaining to his son that he's got a sister coming until the day she arrives?

Despite this, a truly adorable book with a positive message that isn't too preachy or belittling for children with new younger siblings.
This book helped my daughter understand that babies can't do a lot of things that she can do, but it also showed her things that she can do with a baby. This is a good book for children who are being introduced to babies.
Jul 20, 2015 Sophie added it
I've been reading this one with mom and dad a lot lately. Dad points out the things one can do with a new baby. I practice making Olivia laugh by dancing and singing. I'll be ready to be a big sister for the twins.
This is a great story for any kids who may be getting a new little brother or sister in their family. It shows the joys of having a little sibling around and how you can help out.
Krystal E
I think the little critter books are hilarious, and so relatable to kids, because little critter always has a dilemma that seems like a big deal to him, but is humorous to everyone reading.
Laura Elizabeth
Our family loves the Little Critter books, and this one is a lot of fun. My nephew likes these and tries to find the spider or the frog!
Jourdan Aanenson
This is a loving story of a family getting a new baby and how the older brother is going to adjust to the new little one in the story.

The Title page is a picture of the baby and her older brother and their mother. It gives the reader a glimpse of what the new family is going to look like the pages are simple. This is a beginning reader book simply because of the use of the white backgrounds and the simple pages. There are a few borders on the pages with a simple white black line. The lines in th
Good story about a new sibling coming into the family. A big brother has a new sister and has to learn how to treat the baby.
Casey Anderson
This would be a great book to read to young children who will be having a new baby brother or sister. It shows how the child may want to play with their own toys with the new baby but then the child soon learns that babies need different type of attention.

Activity Extension: Have show and tell where children can bring in a picture of their baby brother or sister and tell the class about him/her and what they do to help take care of the baby. If the child doesnt have a baby brother or sister, th
Danielle Butler
In this story, Little Critter seems to be getting discouraged because the new baby does not laugh at his joke or play with him. After some time, he figures out activities he can do with the baby.

This would be a great book to introduce to a class if one of the students is expecting a sibling. This book opens up conversation to what it will be like having a new baby in the house and what to expect out of the new baby. I believe this book would raise many questions for the children which could be
This is such a cute book!It's good for teaching with new little siblings
My two-year-old was a big fan of this book after his little sister was born.
This book was clearly written in a different time. Apparently, the only warning that Little Critter had that he was getting a new sister was on the *day she came home*. That's not realistic to how most children today are raised!

It does show a normal, if somewhat idealized reaction to a new baby - Little Critter can't show her his favorite toys, but he *can* let her pull his finger.

I was a little disappointed to see the presumably newborn baby left alone in a crib with a bottle - my nieces were a
Meghan Hunt
A little boy finds out that his family is bringing home a new baby sister for him. He gets out all of his favorite toys to share with her, but when she arrives she has no interest in them. He struggles to find what you can actually do with a new baby. He soon realizes that there are lots of things they can do like make her laugh by tickling her tummy, cuddling, and playing with a rattle. He soon becomes very proud of his baby sister.

Great book for kids that are getting a new sibling.
This has been a favorite baby prep book for me so far, though Natalie didn't react too much. I guess her Critter phase is over for the time being. Anyway, it gives a pretty realistic view of how a toddler would react to a new baby. At first, Critter is excited and wants to play. Then, he is let down by the crying and smelliness. But, in the end he starts to see the things he can do with the baby and think about the future. Its a nice blend of emotions, all of which are realistic.
Sabrina Henry
This book is about a family getting ready for a new baby. The older brother learned new things to do with his sibling. It is a friendly book for big sisters and brothers. It had some good illustrations of things about a new baby. I didn't like the overall presentation of the illustrations, but the messages were beautiful! This is a memorable keepsake book for families.
We got this book as a way to help introduce a new sibling in our home. I liked that it emphasized things you CAN do with a baby and the overall positive change it is for Little Critter (the older sibling). It also gently explains how babies may not be interested in the same things a toddler (like Little Critter) may be interested in.
Amy Olson
The New Baby can be used in the classroom to touch on the subject of new siblings. Students that have recently had or are going to have a new baby can relate to this text and would open up a dialogue in the classroom where they can talk about changes happening and how to adjust to these changes.
A great book to introduce older children to a new sibling.
Kelsi Holman
The New Baby is great for parents who are expecting another child. It can really help the existing child better prepare for a new baby in the house. It is part of the Little Critter series and so many children already know who this character is.
Critter did not understand that a new baby can not do the things that he can do. Some children can prepare for the new arrival by reading this book so that they will have an understanding of what to expect. I like this story for children.
We love these new baby books and this one AppleBlossom picked out herself at the used bookstore. Loving Little Critter and his antics. When askedthe other day what her favorite book was it was a Little Critter Firehouse field trip one!
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • A Pocket Full of Kisses
  • I'm a Big Brother
  • What's Wrong, Little Pookie?
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)
  • When I Get Bigger