Start by marking “The New Baby (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
The New Baby (Little Critter)

The New Baby (Little Critter)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  4,066 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
The new baby takes some getting used to, but she's worth it.
Published October 15th 1999 by Golden Books Publishing Company, Inc. (first published June 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The New Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Baby

Julius, the Baby of the World by Kevin HenkesWaiting for Baby by Rachel FullerThere's Going to Be a Baby by John BurninghamThe New Baby by Mercer MayerPecan Pie Baby by Jacqueline Woodson
New Baby Siblings
4th out of 75 books — 15 voters
STEM Storiez - Counting Zoo by ZyroboticsChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site by Sherri Duskey RinkerMy Busy Week by Lovey SweetiepieNap-A-Roo by Kristy Kurjan
Books I read my Toddlers
13th out of 16 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Ty O'Brien
Sep 05, 2015 Ty O'Brien rated it it was amazing
Bethany
This is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors Mercer Mayer. I like this book because my mom read this series to me as a child. A great read aloud book.
Amanda Hall
Sep 23, 2016 Amanda Hall rated it it was amazing
Great book to read to a child who is preparing to be a big sibling!
Guadalupe Sanchez
Dec 09, 2014 Guadalupe Sanchez rated it really liked it
30. The new baby by Mayer Mercer
Genre: fiction, children’s literature Reading level:age 3 and up Format: good

The new baby is a book about the little critter that is super excited for the new baby at his home. So he tries doing things with his baby sister that makes him upset and sad because his baby sister doesn’t laugh at his funny jokes or pays attention at his stories. He then asks his mother what he can do to make his baby sister happy. His mother tells him to play with her rattle or rock
Lauren Edgar
Nov 09, 2011 Lauren Edgar rated it really liked it
I choose this book out of all the preparing for a new baby books because it is with a character that is already familiar to so many children. The well loved little critter gets a new baby sister. My favorite thing about this book is it isn't perfect from the start. Little critter tried reading to the new baby she doesn't listen, he tries making funny faces and she cries, he doesn't know what to do with the new baby and is having trouble dealing with it. But finally he finds what he can do with a ...more
Sherry Ellis
May 16, 2016 Sherry Ellis rated it it was amazing
When Dad says a new baby is coming home, big brother gets ready to show her all his favorite games and books. When she arrives and isn't interested in those things, he's a little disappointed. He wonders what he can do with her. When Mom tells him, things get much better.

The New Baby is a simple story that will help children understand what their role will be in the new baby's life. It gives great ideas for how to play with the baby as well. The text is easy to understand, and the illustrations
Alexandria
Apr 29, 2014 Alexandria rated it it was amazing
This book is about a little boy who is getting a new sister. He at first tries to do things like play with toys, read her comic books and tries to play games and gets frustrated that she doesn’t do anything back with him. He slowly learns that you cuddle, hold and love little babies and by the end of the book he loves taking her on walks to show her off to all of his friends. Bringing home a new baby is tough for little children and this book shows the true struggles that older siblings would ...more
Jourdan Aanenson
This is a loving story of a family getting a new baby and how the older brother is going to adjust to the new little one in the story.

The Title page is a picture of the baby and her older brother and their mother. It gives the reader a glimpse of what the new family is going to look like the pages are simple. This is a beginning reader book simply because of the use of the white backgrounds and the simple pages. There are a few borders on the pages with a simple white black line. The lines in th
Casey Anderson
Mar 26, 2012 Casey Anderson rated it it was amazing
This would be a great book to read to young children who will be having a new baby brother or sister. It shows how the child may want to play with their own toys with the new baby but then the child soon learns that babies need different type of attention.

Activity Extension: Have show and tell where children can bring in a picture of their baby brother or sister and tell the class about him/her and what they do to help take care of the baby. If the child doesnt have a baby brother or sister, th
Connie
Aug 31, 2008 Connie rated it liked it
This book was clearly written in a different time. Apparently, the only warning that Little Critter had that he was getting a new sister was on the *day she came home*. That's not realistic to how most children today are raised!

It does show a normal, if somewhat idealized reaction to a new baby - Little Critter can't show her his favorite toys, but he *can* let her pull his finger.

I was a little disappointed to see the presumably newborn baby left alone in a crib with a bottle - my nieces were a
Danielle Butler
Aug 28, 2013 Danielle Butler rated it really liked it
In this story, Little Critter seems to be getting discouraged because the new baby does not laugh at his joke or play with him. After some time, he figures out activities he can do with the baby.

This would be a great book to introduce to a class if one of the students is expecting a sibling. This book opens up conversation to what it will be like having a new baby in the house and what to expect out of the new baby. I believe this book would raise many questions for the children which could be
Kelly Workman
This book is a wonderful book that teaches children who are new to being older siblings that babies may be a handful, but they are worth it in the end. It is also good for children who are younger siblings, to help them understand their older siblings' frustrations. I gave this book three stars because, as a future teacher, this would not be much help in the classroom. I do, however, recommend this book for parents.
Emily
Feb 09, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
A new baby is a lot to take in! Critter tries to do some of his favorite things with the baby, like read comic books, but the new baby doesn't seem to notice. Eventually he realizes that new babies can't do all the same things that big kids can do, but there are special things that you can do to play with new babies. This book is perfect for talking about differences between babies and grown kids, helping them prepare for new life in their families!
Meghan Hunt
Feb 12, 2013 Meghan Hunt rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
A little boy finds out that his family is bringing home a new baby sister for him. He gets out all of his favorite toys to share with her, but when she arrives she has no interest in them. He struggles to find what you can actually do with a new baby. He soon realizes that there are lots of things they can do like make her laugh by tickling her tummy, cuddling, and playing with a rattle. He soon becomes very proud of his baby sister.

Great book for kids that are getting a new sibling.
jacky
May 23, 2011 jacky rated it really liked it
This has been a favorite baby prep book for me so far, though Natalie didn't react too much. I guess her Critter phase is over for the time being. Anyway, it gives a pretty realistic view of how a toddler would react to a new baby. At first, Critter is excited and wants to play. Then, he is let down by the crying and smelliness. But, in the end he starts to see the things he can do with the baby and think about the future. Its a nice blend of emotions, all of which are realistic.
Caitlyn Nicole
Nov 11, 2015 Caitlyn Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginning-books
Mayer, Mercer. (1999). The New Baby (Little Critter). New York:Golden Books Publishing Company, Inc.
Setting: Little critter's home
Genre: Beginning Books for children

In this charming story, little critter becomes a big brother. He doesn't know how to handle the idea of mommy having a baby. I would read this book in class for a Pre-K class because most parents have their second child after their first enters school. This book has not won any awards.
Melanie
Jul 29, 2008 Melanie rated it really liked it
We got this book as a way to help introduce a new sibling in our home. I liked that it emphasized things you CAN do with a baby and the overall positive change it is for Little Critter (the older sibling). It also gently explains how babies may not be interested in the same things a toddler (like Little Critter) may be interested in.
Sabrina Henry
Jun 20, 2010 Sabrina Henry rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
This book is about a family getting ready for a new baby. The older brother learned new things to do with his sibling. It is a friendly book for big sisters and brothers. It had some good illustrations of things about a new baby. I didn't like the overall presentation of the illustrations, but the messages were beautiful! This is a memorable keepsake book for families.
Russell
Jul 17, 2014 Russell rated it liked it
I wonder what the gestational process of these little critters is like. The father doesn't bother explaining to his son that he's got a sister coming until the day she arrives?

Despite this, a truly adorable book with a positive message that isn't too preachy or belittling for children with new younger siblings.
Kelsi Holman
Apr 22, 2012 Kelsi Holman rated it it was amazing
The New Baby is great for parents who are expecting another child. It can really help the existing child better prepare for a new baby in the house. It is part of the Little Critter series and so many children already know who this character is.
Hope Johnson
Apr 08, 2011 Hope Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
This is a wonderful book if you know a student in your house is going to have a new baby brother/ or sister in their family. It teaches them what they can expect and how lucky they are to have a new sibling.
Sophie
Jul 20, 2015 Sophie added it
I've been reading this one with mom and dad a lot lately. Dad points out the things one can do with a new baby. I practice making Olivia laugh by dancing and singing. I'll be ready to be a big sister for the twins.
Margaret Chind
We love these new baby books and this one AppleBlossom picked out herself at the used bookstore. Loving Little Critter and his antics. When askedthe other day what her favorite book was it was a Little Critter Firehouse field trip one!
Meagan
Sep 20, 2013 Meagan rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this one as a child! It's a classic in my books, and one that helps that new older sibling understand that new babies can't do everything, but that they can share in the things that the new baby can do!
Jessica
Aug 13, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
This book helped my daughter understand that babies can't do a lot of things that she can do, but it also showed her things that she can do with a baby. This is a good book for children who are being introduced to babies.
Amy Olson
Apr 04, 2011 Amy Olson rated it it was ok
The New Baby can be used in the classroom to touch on the subject of new siblings. Students that have recently had or are going to have a new baby can relate to this text and would open up a dialogue in the classroom where they can talk about changes happening and how to adjust to these changes.
Gala
Feb 04, 2012 Gala rated it it was amazing
Critter did not understand that a new baby can not do the things that he can do. Some children can prepare for the new arrival by reading this book so that they will have an understanding of what to expect. I like this story for children.
Lauren
Apr 26, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This book is great for children especially when they learn to start reading. It teaches great morals and ideals for everyone to have and great general life lessons.
Brittany Binning
Apr 25, 2016 Brittany Binning rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mercer-mayer
This would be a good book to read to a kid who just got a little brother or sister. It talks about how it takes some getting use to, and could help kids adjust to the big change.
Jennybug
Aug 26, 2009 Jennybug rated it it was amazing
This is a cute book to give to a new brother or sister. My favorite line is "I tried to dress her but she was too wiggly and floppy."
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare
  • I'm a Big Brother
  • Franklin Wants a Pet
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad