Start by marking “An Occasional Dream” as Want to Read:
An Occasional Dream

An Occasional Dream

The city holds many dark secrets. Lives begin and end on its streeets and in its alleys. It's no place for a man to find peace. No place for a man to find love.

Boyd's just a small town hood trying like hell to survive. But his tantalizing obsession with money keeps him held down, bound within the depths of the city's mysteries. Still, he's able to maintain balance, at leas

Published September 1st 2002 by Uglytown Productions

To ask other readers questions about An Occasional Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Occasional Dream

Maureen
Dec 04, 2013 Maureen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
as i closed this book, i did a web search. i can't find any usage of it, but it's clear to me that mike lester has written a noir noir. that's right. it's dark. shades of jim thompson, david goodis, and raymond chandler imbue it. lester has explored the tropes of noir and hard boiled fiction and plummeted to the dankest deepest corner of them and created his protagonist boyd's little world, a few blocks down. the characters are vivid and familiar, and their motivations are simple and simple to u ...more
Ben Loory
Dec 05, 2013 Ben Loory rated it really liked it
He picked me up and we went back through the city, back the way I had just come. I sat in his car, chewing aspirin and smoking. I thought about my useless train ride, my useless journey, and I realized I wouldn't be sleeping anytime soon.
"Jesus, Boyd. Could you at least roll the window down?"
I rolled it down. The smoke escaped like the dead on resurrection day, ghosts sailing right out of the graveyard.

good stuff, mike lester!
Jodi
Dec 04, 2013 Jodi rated it it was amazing
An incredibly insightful look into the heart of Boyd, a petty criminal, haunted by his past, looking for meaningful connections, hoping there's a way out. Mike Lester's writing style is sparse yet extremely effective at creating an emotional picture that makes you feel like you're walking the city streets in Boyd's shoes. Beautiful, colorful, daring, An Occasional Dream embarks on new territory for the crime novel and is unbelievably Lester's first novel.
Tuck
Nov 28, 2011 Tuck rated it really liked it
Shelves: noir
very good example of noir and a great story too, about a guy whose just trying to get over, but then things get way over his head, then love, then the big score, or big fuckup, as the case may be. uglytown is the publisher and i need to know more about them. i had to borrow this book from the library of congress because it's so damn rare, so if you see it, grab it.
Dylana Godfrey
Jul 24, 2012 Dylana Godfrey rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book recommend it 110 percent
Claudine Yanting
Sep 26, 2013 Claudine Yanting rated it it was amazing
Bob Meracle
Jun 13, 2015 Bob Meracle rated it it was amazing
An excellent foray into society's underbelly involving murder, deceit, guilt and despair, all hanging from the thread of one thug's pursuit of love. Mike is able to deliver a scene using few words without giving an "in your face" description. Highly recommended.
Zach
Aug 29, 2009 Zach rated it it was ok
Has a very good noir style of prose, but the plot, especially the ending was disappointing.
Emma Stocker
Emma Stocker marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Nikitas Nikandros
Nikitas Nikandros marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Taylor Sie
Taylor Sie marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Rennie
Rennie rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Drama Queen
Drama Queen marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Mx.Nihil
Mx.Nihil marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Mizuki
Mizuki marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
julio
julio marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2014
Joy Killar
Joy Killar marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Kent Gowran
Kent Gowran rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2014
Claudia Marie
Claudia Marie marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Randolph Carter
Randolph Carter marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Karl Hexean Sumner
Karl Hexean Sumner marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Catarina
Catarina marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Amberle Husbands
Amberle Husbands marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Arthur Graham
Arthur Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013

“All beautiful women are murderers. You've probably heard it said before.” 14 likes