An Occasional Dream

An Occasional Dream

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The city holds many dark secrets. Lives begin and end on its streeets and in its alleys. It's no place for a man to find peace. No place for a man to find love.

Boyd's just a small town hood trying like hell to survive. But his tantalizing obsession with money keeps him held down, bound within the depths of the city's mysteries. Still, he's able to maintain balance, at leas

Published November 1st 2002 by Uglytown Productions

To ask other readers questions about An Occasional Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Occasional Dream

Maureen
as i closed this book, i did a web search. i can't find any usage of it, but it's clear to me that mike lester has written a noir noir. that's right. it's dark. shades of jim thompson, david goodis, and raymond chandler imbue it. lester has explored the tropes of noir and hard boiled fiction and plummeted to the dankest deepest corner of them and created his protagonist boyd's little world, a few blocks down. the characters are vivid and familiar, and their motivations are simple and simple to u...more
Ben Loory
He picked me up and we went back through the city, back the way I had just come. I sat in his car, chewing aspirin and smoking. I thought about my useless train ride, my useless journey, and I realized I wouldn't be sleeping anytime soon.
"Jesus, Boyd. Could you at least roll the window down?"
I rolled it down. The smoke escaped like the dead on resurrection day, ghosts sailing right out of the graveyard.

good stuff, mike lester!
Jodi
An incredibly insightful look into the heart of Boyd, a petty criminal, haunted by his past, looking for meaningful connections, hoping there's a way out. Mike Lester's writing style is sparse yet extremely effective at creating an emotional picture that makes you feel like you're walking the city streets in Boyd's shoes. Beautiful, colorful, daring, An Occasional Dream embarks on new territory for the crime novel and is unbelievably Lester's first novel.
Tuck
Nov 28, 2011 Tuck rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: noir
very good example of noir and a great story too, about a guy whose just trying to get over, but then things get way over his head, then love, then the big score, or big fuckup, as the case may be. uglytown is the publisher and i need to know more about them. i had to borrow this book from the library of congress because it's so damn rare, so if you see it, grab it.
Dylana Godfrey
A fantastic book recommend it 110 percent
Claudine Yanting
Zach
Has a very good noir style of prose, but the plot, especially the ending was disappointing.
Drama Queen
Drama Queen marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Mx.Nihil
Mx.Nihil marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Mizuki
Mizuki marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Karuss
Karuss marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
julio
julio marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Joy Killar
Joy Killar marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Randolph Carter
Randolph Carter marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Karl Hexean Sumner
Karl Hexean Sumner marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Amberle Husbands
Amberle Husbands marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Arthur Graham
Arthur Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Laima
Laima marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
J.W. Bradley
J.W. Bradley marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Adrianne
Adrianne marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Matilda
Matilda marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013

“All beautiful women are murderers. You've probably heard it said before.” 12 likes