Start by marking “An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love: The True Story of the Best Gift Ever Given” as Want to Read:
An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love: The True Story of the Best Gift Ever Given

An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love: The True Story of the Best Gift Ever Given

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  507 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Richard Carlson's Don't Sweat the Small Stuff series has been an incredible hit, with over 9 million copies of the original book and over 16 million copies of the entire series in print. Sadly, Richard died unexpectedly in December 2006 at the age of 45.

Now Kristine Carlson has created an incredibly moving book in memory of her beloved husband, including Richard's love le
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 29th 2008 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love

Natali
Jan 20, 2008 Natali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kristine Carlson gave me this book when we were on a TV show together in San Francisco. We were both waiting for our appearance and she asked me if I was on a book tour too. I said no and asked her about her book. She said "My husband was an author and he wrote me a letter before he died. That is what the book is about." She said it so matter-of-factly and I thought, "How can she say something so sad in such a routine way?" I only spent 20 minutes with her but I was really impressed with her gen ...more
Amanda L
Feb 17, 2015 Amanda L rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
2015 Reading Challenge: A BOOK YOU CAN FINISH IN A DAY

This book was okay! I am one of those people who write letters. I always write letters to my sister for her birthdays and also wrote a couple letters to other dear members of the family. So I know what the author means by "What are you waiting for? Tell them what they mean to you." I just didn't enjoy it that much.
Rhonda
Feb 29, 2008 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short read but very thought provoking. Richard Carlson, author of the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" Series wrote a letter to his wife Kristine for their 18th wedding anniversary. The letter was prompted by the questions If you only had one hour to live and could only make one phone call who would you call? What would you say to that person? And Why are you waiting?
Richard answered these questions in a letter to his wife and then in December 2006 Richard Carlson suddenly passed away an
Betsy
This was truly a heartwarming story. The love letter to his wife on their 18th wedding anniversary about how much he loved her and how he would like to spend his last hour on earth was touching. It goes beyond his love for his wife, but more about how we should be living everyday of our lives. Living in the moment, having no regrets, and reminding those your care about how special they are to you is so important, because who knows when our last hour on earth will be.

The preface and interview wit
Ashley Scott
Sep 13, 2015 Ashley Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just happened to find this when cleaning my room. I'm glad I did. A powerful look at what really matters in life, and how to survive grief after a tragic loss.
Tina
May 17, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This is a must read. Richard had a way of putting a positive perspective on YOUR here and now. And how to grasp life and run with it. After his most unfortunate and untimely death, his wife Kristine took his words directed to her and ran with it. Combining his and her ability to pass on their zeal for life and getting the most of it. Not only in the confines of this little masterpiece but in his "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series & her version of DSTSS to women. The majority of mankind are ...more
Maria (Մարիա)
"An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love " is a touching, beautiful, and inspiring book. It emphasizes the importance of living every day of our life as though it was our last. The book gives you a pause to think about your own life and what you can do differently to get the most out of living.
I recommend it not only for couples. Anyone could benefit from the inspiring reminders of what is truly matters in life. Though it is sad, yet it is very uplifting.
Liz Mcbooks
An hour to Live, an hour to die was another book I read this week. This was a read on my list to read personally. I was intrigued by Happy Wives Club mentioning this, so I checked it out at the Library. This story is a letter collection given to Kristine Carlson by her husband on their 18th wedding anniversary. After reading this she asked him was he terminally ill. In response he says no but our true love inspires me. He writes that she is the person he would call if he had one hour to live. He ...more
Sara El-Kady
May 10, 2010 Sara El-Kady rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yasmen, Ze2red
Recommended to Sara by: my brother
it's so small yet touching book, I wouldn't say it's an eye opener but it was a good reminder to pay attention to those who matter the most in our lives, to ask for forgiveness from those we hurt and always express our love and care for the people that makes our lives better just by existing in it.
Ainunsailah Nordin
Bahasa biasa. Cuma mesejnya luar biasa. Terus call mak.
Judith
Dec 04, 2008 Judith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wouldn't
Recommended to Judith by: library
I thought this would be more about Richard Carlson's life. He's the author of the Don't Sweat the Small Stuff books and died 2006.
It was more a love letter to his wife. I think she wrote it to be cathartic. It didn't do anything for me.
Yasmine Gaber
Apr 01, 2014 Yasmine Gaber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
As always, whenever I feel down, lost or tension, I read this book. Richrad's letter has whatever you are searching for. It reminds me that with all our struggles and plans and wishes, today and now is all we have.
Peter
Jun 30, 2015 Peter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
sounded wonderful. The reviews were glowing. But this little volume has the honor of being the only book I regret having bought. It turns out not even to be addressed to a reader, but only a long list of platitudes in a long thank you note to the author’s wife. Did I need to pay money for the thought that if I had just one hour to live I would not call my accountant or my lawyer? That “the best things in life aren’t things?” To read the personal confession that “big stuff aside, there have been ...more
Lulla Labbyu
It was a quick read. This is a letter after all so I didn't expect a lot from it. It does make me stop and reflex on myself, asking myself how to really love fully and live presently. I adored the Calsons' love. I will be making a list of what my priorities should be at the moment. Recently I've been struggling with the thought of should I just go for what makes me feel happy anyways or should I just stay calm because I sure know it is risky than what I thought. Maybe after this I decide to let ...more
Don Weidinger
Dec 19, 2014 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love eternal, best gift ever given, remember kindness vs stuff, best things in life aren’t things, less talk more listen, want what have enjoy what have, the present, do small things with great love, serve God and others, hugging, thankful to be alive, fully awake, love today no regrets poem tomorrow never comes Norma, don’t sweat.com, don’t take for granted.
Hansyirah Takezur
Sep 16, 2015 Hansyirah Takezur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart-warming love story between husband and wife. The husband passed away on their 18th anniversary, leaving behind a letter that portrayed what he actually wanted if he had another an hour to live. To my surprise, I cried reading this book. What a pleasant piece of writing it is! I want a love story like that too. lol
Angela
The message is great -- that you should ask yourself whom you would call if you only had an hour to live, and then tell that person how you feel and make them a priority in your life. The book is so short, though, that I didn't get any more than the basic message from it.
Wan Siti
Sep 04, 2013 Wan Siti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sebuah buku yang membuka ruang PAUSE & REFLECT kepada diri dan hargai apa sahaja yang berhampiran dengan kita

* ibubapa
* anak
* adik-beradik
* sanak-saudara
* sahabat-karib
* rakan-sekerja
* pekerja/staf
* jiran
dan sesiapa dan apa sahaja yang berkaitan dengan hidup kita.
Yea!
REHAT dan imbas semula << MUHASABAH >>

.... the key to a good life is:
If you're not going to talk about something during the last hour of your life,
then don't make it A TOP PRIORITY during your LIFETIME.

WE ALL,
have
Sharon
Feb 05, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"if you had one hour to live and could make just one phone call, who would it be to, what would you say, and why are you waiting?"
Jane
Dec 26, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book may be short but made me stop and reflect on a lot of aspects of my life. A book to read whenever you forget what's important.
Natalie Justice
Feb 05, 2008 Natalie Justice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw this book on Oprah. When I went out to buy the book it was sold out at 5 book stores. The book is only about 40 pages but it is wonderful. Richard Carlson, author of the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series, died last year. His wife published a letter that he gave her on their 18th wedding aniversary. It is the most beautifully written letter and it makes you want to be a better person. After reading this book I had the same feeling as I did when I finished "Tuesdays with Morrie"- It just ...more
Sue Baker
Oct 26, 2015 Sue Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and will read it again and again as a reminder of how to live my life.
Partou Nikpour
Nov 18, 2014 Partou Nikpour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read! A reminder of what are our priorities in life.
SouthWestZippy
Simple and to the point. Beauty facing death.
Suzette
Aug 31, 2008 Suzette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read! A letter from the author to his wife on their 18th anniversary. He died three years later. I love the great reminders to enjoy the gift of life every day. He said, "If you're not going to talk about something during the last hour of your life, then don't make it a a top priority during your lifetime." After he died she, "Vowed never to sleepwalk through life again. Life goes on for the fully awake."
Janis Lai
Oct 07, 2014 Janis Lai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit short. But serves as a really good reminder in this world where everyone is so busy and forgets what's ultimately the most important thing in our lives..
Lindsay Murphy
Sep 19, 2008 Lindsay Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Balled my eyes out. This was written by Richard Carlson's wife. He wrote all the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" books, and for one of their anniversaries, he wrote her the most amazing letter. After he passed away, she decided to publish his letter. Beware, you will want your loved one to do something like this!
Michelle
An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love showed me how precious our lives and the lives of our loved ones and close friends are. It was an eye opening experience for me and for that I am grateful to the author and his talent that God gave him. May his message of happiness and truth live on forever!
Barbara Lussier
It was okay, a short book easy to read. The first part was better then the second part. Her husband sounds like quite a person. She is going through the trauma of his death. Its hard and she will make it, we all do, but I don't think she had much new to say.
Maggie
all excellent ideas. ideals, actually. but heart-warming hopeful ones. living it out is a bit more difficult if we don't have a natural tendency toward this way of thinking (as the carlson's do/did) but still doesn't hurt to know what we are aiming for.
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Seven Stories of Christmas Love
  • Why Life Speeds Up as You Get Older: How Memory Shapes Our Past
  • I Will Survive: Enjoying Godly Freedom in Human Relationship
  • Friday's Daughter
  • A Girl After God's Own Heart: A Tween Adventure with Jesus
  • Relax - You May Only Have a Few Minutes Left: Using the power of humor to overcome stress in your life and work
  • Getting Naked: Five Steps to Finding the Love of Your Life (While Fully Clothed & Totally Sober)
  • Tripping the Prom Queen: The Truth About Women and Rivalry
  • Jungle Bullies
  • The Art of Friendship: 70 Simple Rules for Making Meaningful Connections
  • Wild Heather (English Ivy, #2)
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Christmas Cheer: Stories about the Love, Inspiration, and Joy of Christmas
  • A World to Explore (Library Mouse #3)
  • Everybody Wins: The Chapman Guide to Solving Conflicts without Arguing
  • American Sucker
  • Keeping a Princess Heart: In a Not-So-Fairy-Tale World
  • The Endless Practice: Becoming Who You Were Born to Be
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do
More about Richard Carlson...