An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love: The True Story of the Best Gift Ever Given

An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love: The True Story of the Best Gift Ever Given

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  76 reviews
If you had one hour to live and could make just one phone call, who would you call? What would you say? Why are you waiting? Richard Carlson's sudden, tragic death in December 2006 left his millions of fans reeling, but even their many letters, calls, and emails couldn't erase the loss felt by his wife, Kristine. To try and come to terms with her loss, she pored over 25 ye...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love

Natali
Kristine Carlson gave me this book when we were on a TV show together in San Francisco. We were both waiting for our appearance and she asked me if I was on a book tour too. I said no and asked her about her book. She said "My husband was an author and he wrote me a letter before he died. That is what the book is about." She said it so matter-of-factly and I thought, "How can she say something so sad in such a routine way?" I only spent 20 minutes with her but I was really impressed with her gen...more
Rhonda
This is a short read but very thought provoking. Richard Carlson, author of the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" Series wrote a letter to his wife Kristine for their 18th wedding anniversary. The letter was prompted by the questions If you only had one hour to live and could only make one phone call who would you call? What would you say to that person? And Why are you waiting?
Richard answered these questions in a letter to his wife and then in December 2006 Richard Carlson suddenly passed away an...more
Betsy
This was truly a heartwarming story. The love letter to his wife on their 18th wedding anniversary about how much he loved her and how he would like to spend his last hour on earth was touching. It goes beyond his love for his wife, but more about how we should be living everyday of our lives. Living in the moment, having no regrets, and reminding those your care about how special they are to you is so important, because who knows when our last hour on earth will be.

The preface and interview wit...more
Tina
This is a must read. Richard had a way of putting a positive perspective on YOUR here and now. And how to grasp life and run with it. After his most unfortunate and untimely death, his wife Kristine took his words directed to her and ran with it. Combining his and her ability to pass on their zeal for life and getting the most of it. Not only in the confines of this little masterpiece but in his "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series & her version of DSTSS to women. The majority of mankind are...more
Liz Cleland
An hour to Live, an hour to die was another book I read this week. This was a read on my list to read personally. I was intrigued by Happy Wives Club mentioning this, so I checked it out at the Library. This story is a letter collection given to Kristine Carlson by her husband on their 18th wedding anniversary. After reading this she asked him was he terminally ill. In response he says no but our true love inspires me. He writes that she is the person he would call if he had one hour to live. He...more
Sara El-Kady
May 10, 2010 Sara El-Kady rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yasmen, Ze2red
Recommended to Sara by: my brother
it's so small yet touching book, I wouldn't say it's an eye opener but it was a good reminder to pay attention to those who matter the most in our lives, to ask for forgiveness from those we hurt and always express our love and care for the people that makes our lives better just by existing in it.
Judith
Dec 04, 2008 Judith rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: wouldn't
Recommended to Judith by: library
I thought this would be more about Richard Carlson's life. He's the author of the Don't Sweat the Small Stuff books and died 2006.
It was more a love letter to his wife. I think she wrote it to be cathartic. It didn't do anything for me.
Yasmine Gaber
As always, whenever I feel down, lost or tension, I read this book. Richrad's letter has whatever you are searching for. It reminds me that with all our struggles and plans and wishes, today and now is all we have.
Maria G
"An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love " is a touching, beautiful, and inspiring book. It emphasizes the importance of living every day of our life as though it was our last. The book gives you a pause to think about your own life and what you can do differently to get the most out of living.
I recommend it not only for couples. Anyone could benefit from the inspiring reminders of what is truly matters in life. Though it is sad, yet it is very uplifting.
Wan Siti
Sebuah buku yang membuka ruang PAUSE & REFLECT kepada diri dan hargai apa sahaja yang berhampiran dengan kita

* ibubapa
* anak
* adik-beradik
* sanak-saudara
* sahabat-karib
* rakan-sekerja
* pekerja/staf
* jiran
dan sesiapa dan apa sahaja yang berkaitan dengan hidup kita.
Yea!
REHAT dan imbas semula << MUHASABAH >>

.... the key to a good life is:
If you're not going to talk about something during the last hour of your life,
then don't make it A TOP PRIORITY during your LIFETIME.

WE ALL,
have...more
Janis Lai
A bit short. But serves as a really good reminder in this world where everyone is so busy and forgets what's ultimately the most important thing in our lives..
Natalie Justice
I saw this book on Oprah. When I went out to buy the book it was sold out at 5 book stores. The book is only about 40 pages but it is wonderful. Richard Carlson, author of the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series, died last year. His wife published a letter that he gave her on their 18th wedding aniversary. It is the most beautifully written letter and it makes you want to be a better person. After reading this book I had the same feeling as I did when I finished "Tuesdays with Morrie"- It just...more
AmblingBooks
Kristine Carlson has created an incredibly moving book in memory of her late husband, Richard, including his love letter to Kristine on their eighteenth wedding anniversary. The letter answers the questions, 'If you had one hour to live and could make just one phone call, who would it be to, what would you say, and why are you waiting?'

Listen to An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Suzette
Quick read! A letter from the author to his wife on their 18th anniversary. He died three years later. I love the great reminders to enjoy the gift of life every day. He said, "If you're not going to talk about something during the last hour of your life, then don't make it a a top priority during your lifetime." After he died she, "Vowed never to sleepwalk through life again. Life goes on for the fully awake."
Lindsay Murphy
Balled my eyes out. This was written by Richard Carlson's wife. He wrote all the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" books, and for one of their anniversaries, he wrote her the most amazing letter. After he passed away, she decided to publish his letter. Beware, you will want your loved one to do something like this!
Michelle
An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love showed me how precious our lives and the lives of our loved ones and close friends are. It was an eye opening experience for me and for that I am grateful to the author and his talent that God gave him. May his message of happiness and truth live on forever!
Barbara Lussier
It was okay, a short book easy to read. The first part was better then the second part. Her husband sounds like quite a person. She is going through the trauma of his death. Its hard and she will make it, we all do, but I don't think she had much new to say.
Maggie
all excellent ideas. ideals, actually. but heart-warming hopeful ones. living it out is a bit more difficult if we don't have a natural tendency toward this way of thinking (as the carlson's do/did) but still doesn't hurt to know what we are aiming for.
Cathy Rosenberg
This book is about twice as much as a greeting card and it would be the greatest gift you could ever share with someone. It is a reminder of things we already know but need to hear over and over. A spectacular love story. Buy 5 copies and give 4 away!
Denise
this was such a short read it only took me about an hour to read it was so sweet. I loved it. It really puts life into perspective of what is really important and how important your relationships are. I made my husband read it too.
Matthew
A book I would recommend to anyone who could read, young or old. The true story of how to live your life to the fullest, the right way, the supposed way.
The mind provoking questions that only you can answer and also act by yourself.
beltofvenus
I'm halfway through this book and the more I read the less I like it. Can't believe that I'm struggling to finish a book that's only 96 pages.

It's touching and beautifully written but for some reason I'm just not into it.
Satia
Kristine Carlson's grief is pretty and nice, not raw and palpable like Joan Didion's. I prefer Didion to this. For more:

Chris
Kristine Carlson writes a book in memory of her beloved husband and includes a beautiful letter that he wrote to her and her efforts to honor his life as she attempts to cope with his death.
Lullaby Rainn
A brilliant little book that really puts life in prospective. ''' If you had an hour to live and could make just one phone call,who would it be to,what would you say...and why are you waiting?'''
Mckinley
Author of the Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff… series. This is more a tribute to him from his wife. Simple idea. If you had an hour to live who would you call? with the addendum to do so now.
Vaishali
If you ever read, Richard Carlson's books ( its all small stuff...don't sweat it and others) you will certainly miss him now...A marvelous lesson and a great love story
Alina Grace
Wow!!!! Such an inspirational book. It just shows how short life is and to cherish what we already have than to go basing for those that we don't.
Morgan Jones
I read this on an airplane coming home from visiting a friend and it really puts life into perspective. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Nikki
Oct 19, 2008 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nikki by: Saw it on Oprah
This was a very quick read. It was sad and inspirational at the same time. Makes you wish you could live your life like Richard did.
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Fish! Tales: Real-Life Stories to Help You Transform Your Workplace and Your Life
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth
  • God is Able
  • As I Have Loved You
  • قوة التركيز للمرأة: كيف تعيشين الحياة التي ترغبين فيها حقاً
  • Life Is Short, Wear Your Party Pants
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Bad Girl Sex: An Indispensable Resource for Pleasure and Seduction
  • Whispers of Hope
  • A World to Explore (Library Mouse #3)
  • Angel Therapy: Healing Messages for Every Area of Your Life
  • The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It
  • The Nature of God: 50 Christian Devotions about God's Love and Acceptance
  • Personhood: The Art of Being Fully Human
  • Para sa Broken Hearted
  • The Gardens of Covington (Ladies of Covington, #2)
  • Fresh Brewed Life: A Stirring Invitation to Wake Up Your Soul
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do...more
More about Richard Carlson...
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective