Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3

Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  5,545 ratings  ·  167 reviews
1 told 2

and 2 told 3,

"I'll race you to the top

of the apple tree."

One hundred and one numbers climb the apple tree in this bright, rollicking, joyous book for young children. As the numerals pile up and bumblebees threaten, what's the number that saves the day? (Hint: It rhymes with "hero.") Read and count and play and laugh to learn the surprising answer.

Book Details:

Published August 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published July 2nd 2004)

The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn BurnsHow Much Is a Million? by David M. SchwartzMath Curse by Jon ScieszkaOne Grain Of Rice by DemiMillions of Cats by Wanda Gág
Picture books about numbers and math
12th out of 120 books — 36 voters
How Many Jelly Beans? by Andrea MenottiHow Many Mice? by Michael GarlandThe Big Storm by Nancy TafuriChicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 by Bill Martin Jr.
Preschool-Math
4th out of 4 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Annette Taylor-james
I enjoyed reading this book to the children especially at circle-time, we review the colors, numbers and discuss any new word or words. The repetition is also good because it helps to re-enforce the concepts. The children love to read this book.
Alma Hernandez
This book is great for teachers to use in the begining of the year. This book helps introduce children to numbers. The illustrations are eye catching. The way the book goes along, children will always be interested.

Bill Martin lived the last 11 years of his life in the east Texas woods near Commerce, Texas. A Kansas native, Bill graduated with a teaching certificate from Emporia State University. He taught in Kansas and was an elementary school principal in Chicago before he moved to New York Ci...more
Allie
For those who like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, this book follows the same lovable pattern. This book quickly becomes familiar with its rhythmic pattern and fun illustrations. The illustrations bring the numbers to life and almost make them jump off the page. This would be a fun book to read during math time to younger students. Students can practice finding numbers and chanting along with the reader. I would read this book aloud to the students and then place the book somewhere in the classroom whe...more
Amy Rae
Pointless sequel that lacks the charm of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
Kathy Leonard
Martin, Bill. Chicka Chicka 123 (2013). This books follows Martin’s popular ABC book, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. The format is similar but now the focus is on counting. The numbers all want to climb the apple tree but there’s a twist, once on top, the bees don’t want them in their tree. The numbers practically fall out of the tree because they are so scared. This counting book has rhyming phrases, white space between sentences and the sentences are broken up into small chunks. The repeated phrase,...more
This was not as good as the original, but had some good rhyming going on.
K
I only wish it was as good as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom...
Cherina
Summary: This time, it's the numbers turn to take an adventure. Numbers 1 through 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 99 race to the top of an apple tree. But will there be enough room for 0? A swarm of bees comes along and chases the numbers out of their tree. 0 hides. Once the bees are gone, 0 takes his place atop the tree with 10 -- making 100. The numbers are happy and scramble back to the top of the tree.

Uses: read-aloud in the primary grades; independent reading for early readers; possibly...more
Melanie Bates
Chicka Chicka 1-2-3

Summary: This book is similar to Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, except instead of letters they incorporate numbers. They use numbers and rhyming throughout the whole book. The illustrations in this book show digits climbing up an apple tree which represents the content on each page.

Response: This book has the same concept as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I liked that the author mentioned numbers one through twenty, then went from twenty to one hundred counting by tens. This is an intere...more
Teresa
This is another book that has almost the same kind of format as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. The numbers are all trying to go up an apple tree. Will there be a place for Zero? You'll have to read it to find out.The illustrations are fun and colorful. This book was fun just like the one that proceeds it. The rhythm in the book is pretty evident so it makes it easy to read and the children follow along. I gave this book 3 stars only because it wasn't as exciting and catchy as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom....more
Stacker
Did you know that if you add a zero at the end of 10, you end up with a 100? I did, but my K-Grade child didn't. He took this out at the library after loving Chicka Chicka Boom Boom at school; I unfortunately did not read the first one, so I have no basis of comparison, but he seemed to enjoy this one and, more important, learned that 100 was a mash of 10 and 0. Yay learning!
Renee
Summary: Numbers from one to one hundred climb to the top of an apple tree in this rhyming chant.

My son loves this book right now! (age 3 1/2) Book goes up to 100. The numbers are climbing the apple tree, 1-20, then by tens 30, 40, etc, to 100. O is always asking "Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3, Will there be a place for me?" He ends up at the top of the tree with 10 to make 100. There are some bees in the book who cause the numbers to get out of their tree.

Not as great as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom but it...more
Joy
This is the other half of the creative duo for Chicka Chicka Boom Boom writing his version of a counting book (the other author is responsible for Boom Chicka Rock)

This book features the art of Lois Ehlert just like the original book. It's not as good as the original in my opinion but decent. Very similar in structure to Chicka Chicka Boom Boom but there's an apple tree this time. It counts higher than Boom Chicka Rock (1-20 and then 10s to 100).

The illustrations are cut paper.
Sarah Sammis
Chicka, Chicka 1, 2, 3 by Bill Martin Jr. is the follow up to Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom, a book I haven't read but Harriet has. This book is as the title suggests, a counting book. The numbers 1 to 100 are represented with most of the emphasis being on the numbers 1 to 20.

For reasons unknown to me, the numbers decide to climb into an apple tree. Some climb just for the fun of climbing and some are after the apples. The zero, wants in on the fun but can't figure out how to participate.

The number...more
Tami
Title: Chicka Chicka 1-2-3 Author: Bill Martin Jr., Michael Sampson, Louis Ehlert Illustrated by: Sergio Martiaez Genre: Folklore Age Level: P; I Date: 2004
Numbers from 1 to 99 go up the tree and then there is no room for zero. Zero begins to cry. Bubble bees shout, “GET OUT OF OUR TREE!” and all the numbers fall out but zero. “0 lands on top of the tree, joins with 10. Now 100 you see!” “Chicka chicka 1, 2, 3….Here’s the place that’s just for me!” All the numbers come back on the tree and zero...more
Rebecca Jasman
Publication Date: 2004

Genre: number book

Awards won:

Themes: counting, rhyming words

Annotation: In this spin-off of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Bill Martin, Jr. creates a number book that has the numbers paired with a rhyming word or phrase that helps children connect with the number.

Ways to use the book with children: counting, number recognition
Addie
Apr 30, 2011 Addie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I really enjoyed this book. It is a lot like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom but it has numbers instead of letters and is set in an apple tree instead a coconut tree. Throughout the book all the numbers are climbing up the aplle tree getting a spot while zero is all alone wondering if there is a place for him in the Apple tree. Will he find a place in the tree among the other numbers?
I read this to my kids and they want me to read it every night, it is a great way to help kids learn to count, it rhyme...more
Lee Chin
It has the same flow and format as the first book, chicka chicka boom boom. Though i like the final twist at the end than the coconut tree version. My son could identify with the lonely "0" right from the start.
Juliana Duarte
Chicka Chicka 1,2,3 is an extremely fun and educational book for young students in their primary stage of education. It helps teach students in learning about counting and numbers in an exciting way by rhyming the numbers and almost making it into a song. The story starts with the numbers 1,2, and 3 climbing up the apple tree all the numbers climb up after it in order and then goes in reverse when the numbers fall out of the tree. The story ends with the number 100 on top of the apple tree. The...more
Erin
We love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, so I thought this one would be a hit too. Not so much. I felt like the rhymes were often a little forced. If you are looking for counting books, there are better options.
Alissa
Aug 25, 2008 Alissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kindergarten teachers
This counting book was a marvelously illustrated book. Its about numbers 1-99 climbing a tree. All numbers except for zero. There was no room for zero until bumble bees came and ran all the other numbers out of the tree running scared. Then zero could climb to the top and join the number 10 to form 100. The rest of the numbers cheered as the number zero faced his fear and became a hero. Then the rest of the numbers began to climb the tree again and all lived happily in the tree.

You could use thi...more
Cedric Osborn-brown
I thought Chika Chika 1,2,3 by itself was a fairly good book, but in comaprision with the much more popular Chika, Chika, Boom, Boom I though it paled. First the book lost a lot of the originality as if follows a very similar pattern to the prequel, and what few differences were there seemed almost too contrived and less spontaneous. Second, the illustrations lost much of the simplicity that the prequel had. Finally the book had too many elements in it and tried to accomplish too much. Although...more
Olivia Bailey
This is a great book for younger students. It is a familiar book for students because they know the famous Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. While that book is about the alphabet, this book is about numbers. It makes a great introduction to numbers.
The book is written in a story form using the numbers as characters in the book. It rhythms throughout the book so students learn word families and words with the same ending sounds. Also, it involves counting up to 100. Students will need to know how to count...more
Ashlie Covington
"Chicka Chicka 123, will there be a place for me?" I absolutely love this book. That quote I just used is said through out the entire book, and normally when I read it to the children in the classroom I make them say that part everytime we get to it. In the story there are 100 number trying to climb an appkle tree but then a swarm of bees come and make them all come tumbling out of the tree. It is so cool how the author makes the whole story rhyme, which is always fun for kids. I think it makes...more
Jill
Not as wonderful as Chica Chica Boom Boom, but enjoyable and fun and my kids lived it. Great for an intro to numbers with the younger ones.
Jessica Minnoia
This book is a story about numbers wanting to climb the number tree with the number 0 always asking "Chicka chicka 1,2,3...will there be a place for me?" The book counts up to 99 and eventually all the numbers have to come down without 0 ever getting the chance to climb the tree. As they come down number 10 is missing so 0 hops to the top of the tree to join number 10 to make 100.
This would be a great read aloud book for a Pre-K-K classroom where children are learning about numbers. The pictur...more
Rachael
Nov 08, 2008 Rachael rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids who like numbers
I am not anywhere near as big a fan of this book as my son is. It does have a nice rhythm for reading aloud, and it did seem to help him learn both to identify numbers and count ridiculously high in a very short period of time, but... I don't really like the pictures as well as in Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. The tree looks a little scary to me. And the plot is a little shaky. When you have to explain what's going on in a picture book to other college-educated adults because it's not totally clear,...more
Ms.
First this book is a little long for a children's book.
Second this book tackles number 1 to 100 in a short amount of time. It's a fun idea and the book goes through the numbers both forwards and backwards, but as a teacher I find it too much information in one place.
Third, the book skips between numbers in sequence and counting by tens with zero thrown in throughout.
If your intention is to find a counting book you'll want to go with something a little simpler to begin. If this is just meant to b...more
jacky
I love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, so there were high expectations for this similar story about numbers. Also Lois Ehlert seems to be popping up everywhere for me recently. We took out another one of her books this week without even realizing it.

I was disappointed with this book. The descriptions of the numbers were no where near as cute and clever as the letters in the other book. Unlike the letter book, the counting backward seemed forced. The placement of the zero to make 100 seemed gimicky.

Ov...more
Elyshia Schafer
I like Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom better. This one just doesn't quite have that rhythm and flow.
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • Diary of a Fly
  • Gingerbread Baby
  • If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
  • A House for Hermit Crab
  • It Looked Like Spilt Milk
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • Ten Black Dots
  • Froggy Gets Dressed
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • Chester's Way
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
  • Mouse Paint
  • Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef
  • Bear Feels Sick
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka ABC