Start by marking “Retribution (City of God, #3)” as Want to Read:
Retribution (City of God, #3)

Retribution (City of God #3)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  209 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Jerusalem, A.D. 66 . . .The City of God seethes with rage against imperial Rome . . . and, in an act of unspeakable brutality, Rome takes deadly retribution. War looms on the horizon---but one woman already knows the outcome. . . .Transported from the far future, Rivka Meyers has made her home in Jerusalem with her husband and fellow time traveler, Ari Kazan. But in a turb ...more
Published August 17th 2004 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Retribution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retribution

Ann Thomas
Jul 28, 2014 Ann Thomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-christian
Wow!! I was so disappointed - where's the next book? I can't wait to find out what happens next - but that's the end of the series. The author promises to write more, so I'll just have to keep an eye out, and in the mean time encourage everyone to read these books.

This is the third in a series about two scientists who find themselves trapped in first-century Jerusalem. That's the only science fiction part of the story. After that it's pure suspense as they get caught up in the events leading up
Adelle
I really enjoyed this book. I felt quite invested in the characters. To be honest, I have just finished the series (couldn't stop reading long enough to do the reviews!) and I am very much looking forward to more books in this series. I feel like I know Ari and Rivka personally. What is really nice is that the series doesn't lose its momentum and in fact, improves with each book. Give it a try - you won't be disappointed.

I went the easy way out with the reviews but I would like to add that thes
Gophergirl58
Mar 12, 2015 Gophergirl58 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow...what a GREAT series of books! Reading the end of this just made me want more, and author Ingermanson states that #4 will be forthcoming in the (hopefully) near future. The amount of research he has done to write these three books is amazing, and I am very thankful to him as I learned a great deal about the Jewish peoples through these three books. For those who may not have begun reading this series, please read them in their order, and also be forewarned that there are some difficult but ...more
Judith Noameshie
Loved it!

I have read all three books. I like how the author share with us events that really happened while still telling the story of the protagonist. This really taught me about events in Jerusalem in first century A.D. this explains a little more about the current Jerusalem. I recommend this series to everybody. and a note to the author: please don't silence Rivkah and her family. I am hoping for sequels. Thank you for this great teaching lesson.
Beverly Siegman
Mar 22, 2015 Beverly Siegman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most enjoyable reading. Couldn't hardly put it down. I liked the sequence of events. It came close to events I have read in other biblical books but of course with a fictional spin. I chose this rating because it had me wondering if things would work out or not and it didn't disappoint.

I would recommend this book to anyone with an open mind. The descriptions of life in that era put me right back into the bible.
Kathy
Dec 18, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the third book of the series, and was left wanting more. Hopefully the author will continue the series. It is so interesting to follow a couple of scientists who are trapped in the 1st century and are trying to survive the events of the time. Very interesting depiction of the Jewish religion of the time and the beginnings of Christianity.
Karlie
May 16, 2015 Karlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bummed this series is over for now....more to come later I've read but not any time soon. I rarely re-read books but this series I would should more come out down the road. I didn't have a much free time to devote to this third book so it took longer to read...probably the only reason I gave it four stars instead of five. The other two I read on vacation and couldn't put down. This one I only had time to read as I collapsed into bed. I write this at one am however so it is not like it hasn't gra ...more
Sandra Barnett
Oct 20, 2015 Sandra Barnett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

This book brought out your imagination and helped me to examine myself. I found myself in much prayer for others. I liked the historical facts introduce, the details and research taken on. Excellent job. I would highly recommend the series.
Jodi
May 17, 2015 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Wish the series would continue. I like the new possibilities of the direction of things. Would recommend this series to friends.
Andrew Philip
Mar 21, 2015 Andrew Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed all three books in the series - but the story is left hanging at the end of book 3. I hope there will be more to come.
James Lucas
Apr 16, 2015 James Lucas rated it it was amazing
Love book 3 of 3. Felt the author could of extended the conclusion to a 4th book but still, very entertaining
Debbie
Aug 10, 2015 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical-novel
This book seemed really slow for most of the middle.
Christopher
Oct 26, 2014 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All three books in this series were very enjoyable.
Lorie
Aug 18, 2014 Lorie rated it it was amazing
As I stated in my review of book 2, I loved this series. It just kept getting better and better. Ingermanson did not let up on the momentum of suspense, dynamism of characters, or power of the story, right to the gripping end. My only criticism is that I did not want such a good read to end, which is my highest compliment. RI is a very talented author, and has me as a devoted fan. BRAVO!!! and SEE YOU IN JERUSALEM! (Now I must, MUST go!! Not just sort of!)
Dena
Jun 18, 2012 Dena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: god-and-faith
Love this series. Would recommend to anyone. Really a great book to be reading at the same time as Not a Fan as the conversations Jesus had with the religious elite take on very vivid meaning. The theme of sacrifice unleashing power has really stuck with me too. Great story but I'd recommend reading them all from the start as the story and impact builds. Like my dad who recommended them, I wish the author would have continued to write their story.
Rose
Dec 19, 2015 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The City of God series was a nice story for a change of pace. A time traveler adventure with a twist! Very well researched backgrounds and historical events blended with characters from the Bible being witnessed by modern age lost souls. Well worth reading several times, buy all three in the set.
Dion
Mar 31, 2014 Dion rated it really liked it
Absorbing recreation of a dusty city on the edge in the first century. A compelling plot turns the pages while you get to know the spectrum of well-rounded characters. Meticulous research only adds to the enjoyment, without hampering the read.
Gary
Sep 17, 2009 Gary rated it really liked it
Onlyl regret in reading this book is that it is the last in the series. I thoroughly enjoyed the series and the scope and the wrapping up of the story. Couldn't recommend the books more.
Joanna
Feb 03, 2009 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Ingermanson's work is amazing. Both the modern space exploration fiction and his historical fiction -- amazing, beautiful. I keep waiting for his new work...
Kathleen
Oct 08, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are going to read this make sure you read the entire series. This is the third. It's more of a 3.5. I liked the concept and the history.
Margie Jimenez
May 20, 2015 Margie Jimenez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best series I've ever read!
Hannah
Jan 01, 2010 Hannah marked it as to-read
Ditto as Premonition. :)
Ravindra Chauhan
wonderful read
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Debbie Sawey
Debbie Sawey rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Dawn Francescon
Dawn Francescon rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Meaghan Hummel
Meaghan Hummel rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Kathy Dough
Kathy Dough is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2016
Rovi Knupp
Rovi Knupp rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
David West
David West rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
  • The Fifth Man (Oxygen, #2)
  • A Treasure Deep (Perry Sachs #1)
  • Shivering World
  • The Face of God
  • Second Time Around
  • Flight to Eden
  • The Winds of Sonoma (Regalo Grande #1)
  • Ain't No River
  • Vashua's Messenger (The Vadelah Chronicles, #2)
  • Boo
  • Edge of Eternity
  • The Singer Trilogy: The Mythic Retelling of the Story of the New Testament
  • Unclaimed Legacy (History Mystery #2)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Unascended (Stargate Atlantis, #22)
I'm a novelist, physicist, and fiction teacher. People around the world call me "the Snowflake Guy" because of my wildly popular "Snowflake method" for writing a novel.

I've published 6 novels and won about a dozen awards for my writing. I'm a theoretical physicist with a Ph.D. from UC Berkeley. I publish the world's largest electronic newsletter on how to write fiction. I run the software divisio
More about Randy Ingermanson...

City of God (3 books)
  • Transgression (City of God #1)
  • Premonition (City of God #2)

“Please, you will do it anyway. When you hear to do a merciful thing, that is always at least a whisper from the heart of HaShem. Obedience will strengthen the ears of your spirit.” 0 likes