Start by marking “The Knowland Retribution” as Want to Read:
The Knowland Retribution

The Knowland Retribution (The Locator #1)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  615 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
With tainted meat the weapon and corporate greed the motive, this is a topical suspense-revenge thriller.Walter Sherman, aka The Locator, is a tracker who honed his skills in Vietnam.The colorful cast of characters includes a bartender with a mysterious past, an old black man who smokes likes a chimney, stuttering publicity shy NY Times obituary columnist Isobel, Southern ...more
Published March 8th 2006 by Midnight Ink (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Knowland Retribution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knowland Retribution

Eric_W
Apr 26, 2011 Eric_W rated it really liked it
I have always thought that Americans confuse justice with revenge. When they cry for justice, what they really want is revenge. That could be a theme of this book.

A firm in New York calculates the cost-benefit ratio of cleaning up a meat plant known to be contaminated with e-coli against possible deaths from eating the bad meat. Three of the 864 people killed happen to be the wife, daughter and grandchild of Leonard Martin, a very successful real estate lawyer in Atlanta.

Martin goes on the skid
Tim
Feb 08, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
For those who are interested in reading this because it's the basis for the TV Show The Finder, don't expect it to be at all similar. The main character has the same name and lives in a tropical location and hangs out at a bar, but that's it for the similarities.

Now that's done, let's discuss the book. It's centered around Walter Sherman, an Vietnam vet who has a knack for finding people/things. He's been hired to find a person who's been killing people associated with a company who sold E. Coli
Damond
Mar 26, 2012 Damond rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of the two books from which the new show "The Finder" is based. The book cannot be any more different from the show. In the show Walter is a guy in his thirties who finds anything, Isobel is a U.S. Marshal and Walter's girlfriend, and Leo is a former attorney who works at Walter's bar in Florida. In the book, Walter only finds people, lives on a Caribbean island and is called The Locator instead, Isobel is a woman who writes obits for the New York Times and is the person who fi ...more
Meredith Kaupp
Apr 23, 2012 Meredith Kaupp rated it liked it
I got this one because I heard that it was the basis for the TV show "The Finder." I was surprised at how little the show follows the book, but then I remembered that it's by the people who made "Bones" which follows the Kathy Reichs books by about 3%.

Anyway, I love the characters in the series, but they aren't as interesting or layered in the book. Overall, I like the show better, which is rare.

On its own, the story was very interesting. It makes you think about how far you would go in a simi
Jeni
Jan 24, 2012 Jeni rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Difficult to get into at first, but worth it. I admire authors who make readers work a bit to get it, it's much nicer than being slammed over the head with "meaning" and "Wow! Look what I did with words there!"
Their is new real mystery in the book, but the delight is in the full story slowly unfolding, while characters are developed more fully.
The new show, The Finder, is loosely based on these Walter Sherman books. I've enjoyed the show Bones, which was developed by the same people working on
Mary
Mar 02, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I discovered this book through a not so obscure reference on a rerun of the show "BONES." On this show, Walter Sherman, introduced as a past acquaintance of Seeley, was a man with a gift for finding things and people, lost or missing. Intrigued by the credits at the end of the show which stated that the Sherman character was based on "The Locator" series by Richard Greener, I went in search of the "real" Walter Sherman and found him in the first book of this "series" entitled the THE KNOWLAND RE ...more
Bethany Franklin
Mar 27, 2016 Bethany Franklin rated it really liked it
I started reading this book because it was the basis for the short-lived TV show, The Finder. I enjoyed the somewhat cheesy TV show, so I wanted to give the book a chance. It was not exactly was I was expecting but was pretty good. I guess you would consider it a murder mystery, or a who-done-it, but it was not as suspenseful as most of the mysteries I like to read. Pretty predictable and had a slightly weak ending but I enjoyed the story and the writing.
Gina Mora
May 13, 2015 Gina Mora rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating book. It's definitely a slow burn. Each chapter has it's own narrator. You get invested in each and every character--the good guys and the bad guys. There is no "one-side" to anyone. Everyone has motives, wishes, hopes, dreams, and goals. Goals are really the interesting thing in this book. Goals of companies, goals of revenge, goals of love. There are targets everywhere and you have to keep track of which target is important. It keeps it interesting. He does some of the be ...more
Angela
Jul 14, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book until the end. It is a bit tedious in the beginning as there are a lot of characters that are introduced and a lot of scenarios going on. However, once you get past the history and scenarios all merge together it gets very good and I couldn't put it down. The end was a bit disappointing, I wasn't sure where the ending would end up and had no preconceived notions as how I would have liked it to end. So, almost anything would have been good in my opinion. However, in the ...more
An Odd1
Jul 06, 2012 An Odd1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, mystery, xrate
"The Knowland Retribution" (The Locator, #1) by Richard Greener is the payback three years after Texas Knowland & Sons packing plant sends E.Coli contaminated ground meat across Southern U.S. "left 864 dead and thousands more sickened" p133 (no count of permanent disabilities), three generations of lawyer Leonard Martin's family painfully dead. Dr Ganga Roy "lovely Indian" p79 spends 12 boring and harrowing SARS-like symptomatic pages advising corporate bigwigs that their hypothetical circum ...more
Theshrewedshrew
Mar 04, 2012 Theshrewedshrew rated it it was ok
Well... Walter Sherman...

Most people who haven't heard of the Locator series found it from the new Fox Drama "The Finder" I won't lie, after watching the first episode on Bones where it was a cross over, I had put The Knowland Retribution on my books to watch out for category, just a few weeks ago, I managed to find a copy at my local 2nd hand bookstore.

I came into this book at page 1 with high hopes.

By about page 13 I had already sat the book down 3 or 4 different times thinking about just th
AJ
May 23, 2011 AJ rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels, own, fiction
A few weeks ago the television show did a sort of back door pilot to a new show (that may or may not be in production). I really liked it and thought "Man, if they make that show, I will definitely watch it!" Anyway, I did some research and found out it was based on a couple of books about a guy who locates things for a living. Thus, the name of the series "The Locator Series". Anyway, this is the first book in the series so I thought I would read it.

It was not bad, and it has an interesting pre
Lee
Jun 04, 2012 Lee rated it it was amazing
One of the most well written books I have ever read. The plot kept you guessing at every turn. Every sentence, paragraph, scene and chapter was thoroughly planned and prepared by the author to create a suspenseful masterpiece with some truly wonderful and colourful characters. I would personally recommend this book to absolutely everyone and it would not surprise me to see this as a required text in schools and colleges in the future.

Edit: Reading other reviews of this work, it is obvious that m
Sebastien
Dec 06, 2012 Sebastien rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: personne
Comment décrire ce livre. Pour faire simple je dirai que c'est un déception totale, une vraie fraude de la critique sur internet et surtout que je comprend pourquoi l'auteur, à part pour ses problème de santé, ne s'est jamais permis d'écrire plus que 2 livres dans cette série.

Pourquoi j'ai eu idée de lire ce livre, c'est simple c'est l'histoire qui a inspiré un des meilleur épisodes de Bone "The Finder". Les producteur ont même produit une série à son propre nom après cette épisode. Voyant que l
I downloaded this book in February of 2012, after watching a couple of the Bones t.v. shows featuring this Walter Sherman,"Finder," character. The character and premise was cute and humorous, so I figured I'd give the books a try. But then the character got a spinoff show, and the few episodes I watched really didn't do it for me (too cute; too humorous), and I forgot about the book.

But the other day, while I told myself that I had to get through my current Audible library before I could downloa
Dwight Hurst
Feb 17, 2016 Dwight Hurst rated it liked it
Good plot and a sympathetic villain makes you feel torn about the outcome and stay engaged. A fun read.

Many people have said this, but I will agree: this is not much like the short lived fox series of the same name (based upon these novels). This would be okay if I had encountered the novels first, but I can't help but compare the fun, lively Walter from the show to the world weary, self doubting, dragging around Walter in the book. It's made me shrink away from reading more of them.
Sharon
Apr 15, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
This is the inspiration for TV's "The Finder". The book's Walter Sherman is less paranoid, older, and has different friends. He still hangs out in a bar, but is just as adept at finding people. He lives on an island in a very nice house on the ocean and has a very adequate income. He has lots of very grateful former clients who are quite willing to give him a hand in his investigations whenever he asks.

In this book, he is on the trail of a serial killer who is extracting "justice" on the person
Stewart
Given my long(ish) term love affair with Kathy Reichs and her Bones books, and my new passion for Tess Gerritsen and her Rizzoli and Isles series, I thought I'd give the books that were the impetus for The Finder a chance.

Unlike any "mystery" book I've read, I quite enjoyed a different approach to "the" format. This mystery doesn't hold back the killer's identity for a big reveal near the end, you know who is choosing to assasinate the people responsible for several deathes due to e. coli infest
Pam
Jan 02, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I hesitated whether to give this a three or a four star rating -- while I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book, I found the ending a bit weak, as the relationship between two of the main characters ends on almost a distasteful (or perhaps disdainful) note. While not all endings should be happy endings, this one deflated the bubble in a way that seemed unnecessary.
Ken R.
Mar 02, 2014 Ken R. rated it really liked it
The interaction among him and his friends back home on the island just seemed contrived. When they tried to turn this into a Fox TV series, those parts were just silly. For that matter, trying to turn into a comedy was a bad idea. But I highly recommend this first book. The second one not so much.
Alexandra
Sep 12, 2014 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Despite the fact that it took me quite some time to finish this book (mostly because I keep forgetting that I have books on my tablet), I thoroughly loved this book. As I am used to reading books adapted to movies and / or TV, I did not expect book Walter to be the same as TV Walter, which he isn't.

There are two reasons I didn't give this book five stars. The first is that the book jumps back and forwards in the timeline, especially in the beginning, which made for a slightly confusing read befo
Abby
Oct 07, 2013 Abby rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The basis for Fox's cancelled-after-one-season TV show "The Finder", Richard Greener's "The Knowland Retribution" tells the story of Walter, the Locator, who can find anyone or anything. A trio of executives come to see Walter and beg him to take their case--finding a man who is hunting down the people responsible for deaths in his family. The story has a complicated backstory, and yet manages to stay well-paced. The characters are nicely developed, though I liked "The Finder"'s take on them bet ...more
Michelle Boyea
Feb 07, 2016 Michelle Boyea rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Not sure how I feel about this book. Very well written and suspenseful. Complicated and intense. Dynamic and masterful. Not like any other book I have read. Very good book just not completely my style and parts of it were confusing to understand. Definitely got better as it went on.
Sherry
Jun 20, 2014 Sherry rated it really liked it
Although sometimes shelved as genre fiction, mystery, this is much more. One cover blurb says "complex and compelling." That sums it up nicely. The Locator can find people. What he does when he finds them is the story.
Terra
May 21, 2016 Terra rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-unread
This was one of the those books I heard about from a TV show's credits. "The Finder" was on for only one season but I loved it! I had to read the book to experience more since the show was cancelled. This book was well developed story and reminded me of Pelican Brief but not. I was a bit disappointed in Walter (MC). I thought he was going to be more colorful, instead he was a lot less charismatic than the Walter on the TV show. Although, the end he was awesome where it counted. I did my best not ...more
Avalon Beaverstock
Nov 20, 2014 Avalon Beaverstock rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this book because of the reference to it from the TV show Bones. Absolutely loved this book. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, very well written. Best book I've read in a long time.
Mark Trenier
Aug 23, 2015 Mark Trenier rated it really liked it
A good mystery novel, and even though they based a television show on this book, the show is very different. Good characters, good story and you can't put the book down.
Alicia
May 06, 2015 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a good story, well written and intricate. I was hoping for more action however, and I always hope for a few humorous bits, but those were missing. The story wrapped up with a great sense of closure. It just wasn't my cup of tea.
Crys Wood
Feb 26, 2012 Crys Wood rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
First: Folks rating the book poorly because the like the show better? What the hell is that about?

Great book so far. Read into the night through 'til 6am, spent all of breakfast and dishwashing telling my husband about it. Now he's hooked. Has very little in common with The Finder show. Which I'm fine with :-) They're SO different, it doesn't detract from either story.

Finished: oh man, what a yarn. Surprising twists and plenty of surprises left 82% of the way through the book. And a disappointme
Michelle Mills
Apr 20, 2015 Michelle Mills rated it it was amazing
Absolutely excellent, couldn't put it down, the way all the story lines intertwine had me hooked. Great read!
  • Heat Wave
  • Iceworld
  • All in One Basket
  • Bedded by Blackmail
  • Dating is Murder
  • Death Notice (Kat Campbell #1)
  • Love's Fate (Love Trilogy #1)
  • Pearls Blows Up: A Pearls Before Swine Treasury
  • Three Aces: A Nero Wolfe Omnibus
  • Tiger Paw
  • Blitz (Inspector Brant, #4)
  • Devil's Trill (Daniel Jacobus Mystery, #1)
  • Cracking the Dating Code (The Wests, #2)
  • The Devil's Children (The Changes Trilogy)
  • Filth
  • The Soldier (Border Worlds Saga, #2)
  • Tower of the Five Orders (The Shakespeare Mysteries #2)
  • The Sword of Knowledge (Sword of Knowledge, #1-3)

The Locator (2 books)