The Knowland Retribution

The Knowland Retribution (The Locator #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  409 ratings  ·  71 reviews
With tainted meat the weapon and corporate greed the motive, this is a topical suspense-revenge thriller.Walter Sherman, aka The Locator, is a tracker who honed his skills in Vietnam.The colorful cast of characters includes a bartender with a mysterious past, an old black man who smokes likes a chimney, stuttering publicity shy NY Times obituary columnist Isobel, Southern...more
Published March 8th 2006 by Midnight Ink (first published 2004)

Eric_W
I have always thought that Americans confuse justice with revenge. When they cry for justice, what they really want is revenge. That could be a theme of this book.

A firm in New York calculates the cost-benefit ratio of cleaning up a meat plant known to be contaminated with e-coli against possible deaths from eating the bad meat. Three of the 864 people killed happen to be the wife, daughter and grandchild of Leonard Martin, a very successful real estate lawyer in Atlanta.

Martin goes on the skid...more
Tim
For those who are interested in reading this because it's the basis for the TV Show The Finder, don't expect it to be at all similar. The main character has the same name and lives in a tropical location and hangs out at a bar, but that's it for the similarities.

Now that's done, let's discuss the book. It's centered around Walter Sherman, an Vietnam vet who has a knack for finding people/things. He's been hired to find a person who's been killing people associated with a company who sold E. Coli...more
Damond
This is the first of the two books from which the new show "The Finder" is based. The book cannot be any more different from the show. In the show Walter is a guy in his thirties who finds anything, Isobel is a U.S. Marshal and Walter's girlfriend, and Leo is a former attorney who works at Walter's bar in Florida. In the book, Walter only finds people, lives on a Caribbean island and is called The Locator instead, Isobel is a woman who writes obits for the New York Times and is the person who fi...more
Meredith Kaupp
I got this one because I heard that it was the basis for the TV show "The Finder." I was surprised at how little the show follows the book, but then I remembered that it's by the people who made "Bones" which follows the Kathy Reichs books by about 3%.

Anyway, I love the characters in the series, but they aren't as interesting or layered in the book. Overall, I like the show better, which is rare.

On its own, the story was very interesting. It makes you think about how far you would go in a simi...more
Jeni
Jan 24, 2012 Jeni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Difficult to get into at first, but worth it. I admire authors who make readers work a bit to get it, it's much nicer than being slammed over the head with "meaning" and "Wow! Look what I did with words there!"
Their is new real mystery in the book, but the delight is in the full story slowly unfolding, while characters are developed more fully.
The new show, The Finder, is loosely based on these Walter Sherman books. I've enjoyed the show Bones, which was developed by the same people working on...more
Mary
I discovered this book through a not so obscure reference on a rerun of the show "BONES." On this show, Walter Sherman, introduced as a past acquaintance of Seeley, was a man with a gift for finding things and people, lost or missing. Intrigued by the credits at the end of the show which stated that the Sherman character was based on "The Locator" series by Richard Greener, I went in search of the "real" Walter Sherman and found him in the first book of this "series" entitled the THE KNOWLAND RE...more
Angela
I really enjoyed this book until the end. It is a bit tedious in the beginning as there are a lot of characters that are introduced and a lot of scenarios going on. However, once you get past the history and scenarios all merge together it gets very good and I couldn't put it down. The end was a bit disappointing, I wasn't sure where the ending would end up and had no preconceived notions as how I would have liked it to end. So, almost anything would have been good in my opinion. However, in the...more
An Odd1
"The Knowland Retribution" (The Locator, #1) by Richard Greener is the payback three years after Texas Knowland & Sons packing plant sends E.Coli contaminated ground meat across Southern U.S. "left 864 dead and thousands more sickened" p133 (no count of permanent disabilities), three generations of lawyer Leonard Martin's family painfully dead. Dr Ganga Roy "lovely Indian" p79 spends 12 boring and harrowing SARS-like symptomatic pages advising corporate bigwigs that their hypothetical circum...more
Theshrewedshrew
Well... Walter Sherman...

Most people who haven't heard of the Locator series found it from the new Fox Drama "The Finder" I won't lie, after watching the first episode on Bones where it was a cross over, I had put The Knowland Retribution on my books to watch out for category, just a few weeks ago, I managed to find a copy at my local 2nd hand bookstore.

I came into this book at page 1 with high hopes.

By about page 13 I had already sat the book down 3 or 4 different times thinking about just th...more
AJ
A few weeks ago the television show did a sort of back door pilot to a new show (that may or may not be in production). I really liked it and thought "Man, if they make that show, I will definitely watch it!" Anyway, I did some research and found out it was based on a couple of books about a guy who locates things for a living. Thus, the name of the series "The Locator Series". Anyway, this is the first book in the series so I thought I would read it.

It was not bad, and it has an interesting pre...more
Lee
One of the most well written books I have ever read. The plot kept you guessing at every turn. Every sentence, paragraph, scene and chapter was thoroughly planned and prepared by the author to create a suspenseful masterpiece with some truly wonderful and colourful characters. I would personally recommend this book to absolutely everyone and it would not surprise me to see this as a required text in schools and colleges in the future.

Edit: Reading other reviews of this work, it is obvious that m...more
Sebastien
Dec 06, 2012 Sebastien rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: personne
Comment décrire ce livre. Pour faire simple je dirai que c'est un déception totale, une vraie fraude de la critique sur internet et surtout que je comprend pourquoi l'auteur, à part pour ses problème de santé, ne s'est jamais permis d'écrire plus que 2 livres dans cette série.

Pourquoi j'ai eu idée de lire ce livre, c'est simple c'est l'histoire qui a inspiré un des meilleur épisodes de Bone "The Finder". Les producteur ont même produit une série à son propre nom après cette épisode. Voyant que l...more
I downloaded this book in February of 2012, after watching a couple of the Bones t.v. shows featuring this Walter Sherman,"Finder," character. The character and premise was cute and humorous, so I figured I'd give the books a try. But then the character got a spinoff show, and the few episodes I watched really didn't do it for me (too cute; too humorous), and I forgot about the book.

But the other day, while I told myself that I had to get through my current Audible library before I could downloa...more
Sharon Epperson
This is the inspiration for TV's "The Finder". The book's Walter Sherman is less paranoid, older, and has different friends. He still hangs out in a bar, but is just as adept at finding people. He lives on an island in a very nice house on the ocean and has a very adequate income. He has lots of very grateful former clients who are quite willing to give him a hand in his investigations whenever he asks.

In this book, he is on the trail of a serial killer who is extracting "justice" on the person...more
Stewart
Given my long(ish) term love affair with Kathy Reichs and her Bones books, and my new passion for Tess Gerritsen and her Rizzoli and Isles series, I thought I'd give the books that were the impetus for The Finder a chance.

Unlike any "mystery" book I've read, I quite enjoyed a different approach to "the" format. This mystery doesn't hold back the killer's identity for a big reveal near the end, you know who is choosing to assasinate the people responsible for several deathes due to e. coli infest...more
Ken R.
The interaction among him and his friends back home on the island just seemed contrived. When they tried to turn this into a Fox TV series, those parts were just silly. For that matter, trying to turn into a comedy was a bad idea. But I highly recommend this first book. The second one not so much.
Alexandra
Despite the fact that it took me quite some time to finish this book (mostly because I keep forgetting that I have books on my tablet), I thoroughly loved this book. As I am used to reading books adapted to movies and / or TV, I did not expect book Walter to be the same as TV Walter, which he isn't.

There are two reasons I didn't give this book five stars. The first is that the book jumps back and forwards in the timeline, especially in the beginning, which made for a slightly confusing read befo...more
Abby
The basis for Fox's cancelled-after-one-season TV show "The Finder", Richard Greener's "The Knowland Retribution" tells the story of Walter, the Locator, who can find anyone or anything. A trio of executives come to see Walter and beg him to take their case--finding a man who is hunting down the people responsible for deaths in his family. The story has a complicated backstory, and yet manages to stay well-paced. The characters are nicely developed, though I liked "The Finder"'s take on them bet...more
Sherry
Although sometimes shelved as genre fiction, mystery, this is much more. One cover blurb says "complex and compelling." That sums it up nicely. The Locator can find people. What he does when he finds them is the story.
Crys Williams
First: Folks rating the book poorly because the like the show better? What the hell is that about?

Great book so far. Read into the night through 'til 6am, spent all of breakfast and dishwashing telling my husband about it. Now he's hooked. Has very little in common with The Finder show. Which I'm fine with :-) They're SO different, it doesn't detract from either story.

Finished: oh man, what a yarn. Surprising twists and plenty of surprises left 82% of the way through the book. And a disappointme...more
Mia Mccroskey
When theTV series was cancelled after one season, ending in a cliffhanger, I sought out the source material. Reviews warned me that there weren't many similarities, but I dove in anyway. Reviews we right -- the main character and all his compatriots are so different there's no solace to be taken here for the kiss if the show.

In its own, the book crosses Nelson DeMille with any of the various Florida mystery writers (e.g., Randy Wayne White) with a dash of Stewart Woods or maybe Clive Cussler. I...more
Meaghan
I decided to read this book because I loved "The Finder" on FOX, but having read other books because of the TV adaptation, I wasn't expecting it to mirror the show exactly. There were some similarities in the plot though and you could almost consider this as the prequel of how Walter and Leo met. TV stuff aside, this was well-written, and while much of it isn't a secret -- you know what all of the players are up to -- the full scenario unfolds but keeps you in suspense at the same time. There's...more
Easter
I'd heard about this book from a review of the Bones episode, featuring the character of Walter Sherman.
Obviously, the details of the character have changed to make Sherman younger and more handsome, but the basic gist of a man who can find anything remains.

It's not a deep book, but it does a nice job looking at the problems with the beef industry and its dangers. Like Fast Food Nation, you're going to learn more about the way factories cut up your meat and why you're at risk.
It's a page turn...more
Kerr
I loved the idea of this man. I picked the book up after seeing the cameo of the 'finder' cast in Bones. (I like to know origins.) It started in a very confusing manner, jumping back and forth, though it made sense to lay it out this way for unveiling the story line, some indication of 'then' and 'now' would have been good.
There was too much information in this book for me. I'm more interested in where the whole things is going than in the life of the waitress and I ended up skimming towards th...more
Jay DeVine
Saw this character on a recent episode of 'Bones' and decided to read the books. I assume a pilot/spin-off is on the way. Note: the book character is very different from the "tv" character.

This book started slowly, with a lot of back story on everyone and evrything. But, once that was out the way, the book was a pretty good read.

The plot was nicely developed, with lots of interesting twists and a good general layout. The characters were pretty fleshed out, with some good substance.

Looking forwa...more
Aspasia
Apr 21, 2012 Aspasia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tom Mueller
Basis for the TV show "The Finder." Contains the funniest dedication I have ever seen. With that being said the book and the TV show are nothing alike. On the TV shoe Walter Sherman is an Iraqi war vet with an unusual brain injury that helps him "find" lost things or people. The Walter Sherman in the book uses a combination of intuition, logic, and Sherlock Holmes-type detective skills to find things or people. The TV show is quirky and fun; the book is a hard-to-put down mystery and detective s...more
Victoria Durm
I will admit, I was drawn to this bok because of the connection it had to the Fox series, The Finder. I was very disappointed. I knew it was going to be different, but the writing itself was what pulled me out of the story. It was boring, and it dragged on for pages. For it being the first book in the "The Locator" series, the author didn't seem to spend a lot of time on the titular character, Walter Sherman.

At keast I can say I can tried it, right? It wasnt for me, but die hard mystery fans ma...more
Robert Fleming
Like many other people I started this book due to watching "The Finder" T.V. show. Compared to the show it is very different, there is none of the humour and the characters are not the same or missing.

Once I got over the differences I really started to enjoy the book. It's a great thriller that keeps you guessing with the lead character rarely appearing. It manages to make the villain seem sympathetic and all most a anti-hero.

It is a good thriller but don't be expecting the T.V. show.
Amanda
I rarely read thrillers, but the character of "The Locator", a Vietnam vet adept at finding lost things and lost people, came to my attention via a spin-off episode of TV show Bones.

This book tells the story of a crisis in US meat distribution (topical!), which sets a chain of dramatic consequences in motion. There are murders, but it's not primarily a whodunnit, more a how-will-this-all-pan-out. Well-written and engaging from the start. I definitely plan to read the next in the series.
Debby Allen
Would be four, but it started rough, and ended lame. The middle wasn't bad, though. Starts with the standard disparate story lines that you know will cross by chapter x. Usual form, subpar execution. But after they converge, it works, if a bit farfetched, but I willingly suspended. Then the author realized he had to get the lead in position for the next book, and he punted and went way wide. Lost credibility, will see if it was worth it (yep, am going on to the next one).
  • Iceworld
  • Breaking Cover (Tony Wolf/Tim Buckthorn #1)
  • Cracking the Dating Code (The Wests, #2)
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Lady Justice Takes A C.R.A.P. City Retiree Action Patrol (Lady Justice#1)
  • Pelican Point (Bachelors of Blueberry Cove #1)
  • Plummet
  • The Dark Place (Gideon Oliver, #2)
  • Satisfaction
  • Death Notice (Kat Campbell #1)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • The Soldier (Border Worlds Saga, #2)
  • Clammed Up
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1)
  • The Mysterious Lady Law