Start by marking “Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter” as Want to Read:
Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter

Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Though Easter (like Christmas) is often trivialized by the culture at large, it is still the high point of the religious calendar for millions of people around the world. And for most of them, there can be no Easter without Lent, the season that leads up to it. A time for self-denial, soul-searching, and spiritual preparation, Lent is traditionally observed by daily readin ...more
Published November 3rd 2014 by Plough Publishing House (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Wine

Jen
some of the readings I enjoyed more than others, but overall, a worthwhile book. Will add more quotes as I have time.

Some gems so far...

Beneath Thy Cross- Christina Rossetti
Am I a stone, and not a sheep,
That I can stand, O Christ, beneath thy cross,
To number drop by drop Thy Blood's slow loss,
And yet not weep?

Not so those women loved
Who with exceeding grief lamented Thee;
Not so fallen Peter weeping bitterly;
Not so the thief was moved;

Not so the Sun and Moon
Which hid their faces in a sta
Patty
The folks that put this devotional together did a great job. There is a wide variety of authors and subjects from Kathleen Norris through Muggeridge to some folks I have never read before.

This is the third year I have used this book for my Lenten devotions. So far it hasn't gotten old. There are some devotions that I remember from year to year, but that does not affect the impact that the whole collection has.

Every year I read and learn something new. I would recommend this to anyone who is int
C.E. Hart
…And thus we rust Life’s iron chain degraded and alone: and some men curse, and some men weep, and some men make no moan: but God’s eternal Laws are kind and break the heart of stone. ~Oscar Wilde (The Ballad of Reading Gaol)

Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter, is a book of daily meditations that encourage us to reflect on obstacles in our lives, strengthen our faith, and prepare our hearts for Easter.

This collection of seventy-two readings is grouped into six themes: Invitation, Tempta
Julius McCarter
I recently reviewed Plough Publishing's Watch for the Light Advent and Christmas devotional. This collection is a sequel to that devotional. And it's simply the best I've seen.

With the same theological diversity and literary complexity, Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter is a beautifully-written, spiritually-deep, theologically-challenging and ecumenically-diverse collection. This is the Lent and Easter devotional that I'll return to year after year.

The collection of readings is itse
Paul Dubuc
"For Breadth of scope and depth of insight nothing rivals this collection", says on the dust jacket. I heartily agree! This collection of readings is the best supplement to Lenten and Easter devotional reading that I have ever used. I've never seen such a selection of great authors' writings between the covers of one book. Each of the 72 selections are about 4 or 5 pages long. They are grouped into 6 sections that form a progression from the Invitation prepare for Easter by seriously examining o ...more
Jamie
This is another book of daily devotional readings that came to me from a minister at my church. It is a collection of writings by a variety of church and lay people, organized to take you through Lent, the Easter season, and beyond. Some of the readings did give me some things to think about as I made the journey through the season (ending today because sometimes I fall off of my devotional bandwagon). A few really got me thinking about how I need to reshape a few things in my life to live a mor ...more
Jan 26, 2015 Sarah marked it as to-read
I have just won a copy of this book via Goodreads Giveaways. After I've received it, read it, and formed my opinions, I'll post my honest review. Stay tuned!
Greg Burdine
Read this through Lent but it had a few extra readings I finished later. Had some very good readings. Others were okay. Worth the time to read during Lent.
Feb 17, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: imperfect Christians
Recommended to Jennifer by: the old Plough catalogues from the Bruderhof
So I didn't get all the way through this book, as it was on the kitchen table when the ceiling started leaking again, resulting in some gnashing of teeth and calls to the landlord. But it's good enough that I may replace it in time for some future Lent.

There are selections by authors both renowned and unknown grouped by a progression of Lenten themes: invitation, temptation, passion, crucifixion, resurrection. These short essays and poems are thoughtfully chosen and challenging. In large part t
Diane Badger
I re-read this every year. Great collection of Lenten thought by a wide variety of authors
Jeff
This is one terrific book. I've been reading this daily over Lent and have found it to be one of the best sources of devotional readings I've yet encountered. It contains 72 readings, each 3-6 pages in length, by a wide variety of authors from Augustine to Watchman Nee to N.T. Wright. It's a great collection that has delivered without fail on a daily basis. You will not be disappointed with this collection
Allison Severson
I thoroughly enjoyed many of the readings from this book. My family read the poem, "The Seven Stanzas of Easter" together before Easter dinner, and I read others throughout lent and Easter. I didn't read every single reading, but will definitely go back to this book next year. I like that the book is divided into sections (crucifixion, new life, passion, etc) so that you can pick and choose what to read.
Nikki
May 12, 2008 Nikki marked it as to-read
Recommended to Nikki by: Songbird
Note that Wendell Berry is only one among many authors represented in these readings -- and perhaps not representative. Kierkegaard, Bonhoeffer, Thomas a Kempis, Thomas Merton are among the others. So far, 17 days into Lent, I'm finding it very strong on Fall-Redemption, substitutionary atonement theology. -- Later -- I never did finish and now have put this aside for next year.
Adam
This is an excellent collection of writings to be used during Lent and Easter. It contains short excerpts from modern theologians such as N.T. Wright and Jurgen Moltmann to more historical thinkers like Pascal and Augustine. As is common with collections such as this, some readings are better than others but all in all it makes for good reflective material.
Mark
Lots of insightful short daily readings on suffering, waiting, crucifixion, resurrection, etc - all themes surrounding Lent. If you like and are enriched by a diversity of theological perspectives being brought to bear on one theme, these 72 short chapters are for you. I'm planning the read the Advent version of this series.
Cathy
May 11, 2008 Cathy added it
This is an anthology of readings for Lent and Easter. Writers include C. S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton, Frederick Buechner, Madeleine L'Engle, Henri Nouwen, and Dorothy Day, Wendell Berry, and others. I am reading one writing a day. Excellent readings for Lent. I am reading this for an online book discussion with Revgalblogpals.
Jenni Simmons
I've read this book before, so I decided to set it aside this year and focus on the other Lenten book I'm reading. Bread and Wine is very hit or miss. There are great readings, and some not so great. However, I do glean good quotes from this book each year.
Nancy Moffett
Good solid Lent and Easter readings from a wide variety of authors. Surprising how they all agree on the most important facts. Christ died. Christ is risen. Christ will come again. I read this book in Lent (some years) to prepare. Good variety, good writing.
Alan
Very good devotional for Lent, Easter, and the months beyond, with readings from Augustine, N T Wright, Dorothy Day, and a diverse group of others. Longer review here: http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2...
Joanne
Apr 25, 2011 Joanne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joanne by: Tim
Shelves: devotional
Great anthology of assorted readings, organized by theme. Dipped into them throughout the Lenten weeks and enjoyed the variety of authors and perspectives and genres. Will inevitably return to it, and look forward to the Advent equivalent.
Stewart Clem
A wonderful Lenten devotional. While there are some stellar essays in here, there are a few duds as well. It seems like the editor aimed a little too broadly to really create a coherent presentation, but overall it's worth the time.
Elizabeth
Perfect for helping me focus with a fresh perspective on this time of year. This book, along with a number of other outside influences, helped me handle the season responsibly for the first time ever.
Linda
A fine collection for Lent reading. Helped me to focus on the entire period rather than just the Easter weekend. I will probably read it annually.
Kristin
I just started it today! It is going to be very good...all the authors I like talking about lent. IT seems like a good way to celebrate the season...
Keri Daskam
I liked this book slightly less than the Advent book, but there was still definite potential from the individual essays to blow me away.
Yoby
I read this book every Lenten season. the great authors are too numerous to mention, so are the pages I underlined.
Jessica Stock
Great book! I re-read it every year . . . this year looking to add a new one if anybody has any suggestions for Lent.
Amy Young
Good for an annual read. What a rich history of experiences and cultures and ways of expressing tenets of the faith.
Jill
I really enjoyed some of these selections, but others were too theologically incorrect for me to find any value.
RF
I am VERY fond of Wendell Berry's writings. I can only imagine this would be a great book for the Lenten season.
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
  • Practicing Resurrection: A Memoir of Work, Doubt, Discernment, and Moments of Grace
  • Spiritual Direction: Wisdom for the Long Walk of Faith
  • The Magnificent Defeat
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Jesus Freak: Feeding Healing Raising the Dead
  • God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved
  • The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer
  • The Liturgical Year: The Spiraling Adventure of the Spiritual Life - The Ancient Practices Series
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • Radical Hospitality: Benedict's Way of Love
  • Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling
  • A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life
  • Living the Christian Year: Time to Inhabit the Story of God
N. T. Wright is the former Bishop of Durham in the Church of England (2003-2010) and one of the world's leading Bible scholars. He is now serving as the chair of New Testament and Early Christianity at the School of Divinity at the University of St. Andrews. He has been featured on ABC News, Dateline NBC, The Colbert Report, and Fresh Air, and he has taught New Testament studies at Cambridge, McGi ...more
More about N.T. Wright...
Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is The New Testament and the People of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #1) Simply Jesus: A New Vision of Who He Was, What He Did, and Why He Matters