Start by marking “Crawfish Mountain” as Want to Read:
Crawfish Mountain

Crawfish Mountain

Justin Pitre was born and raised on his grandfather's Louisiana bayou, and he has made a promise to keep his family's prized 500-acre property safe. But across town, Big-Tex oil bigwig Tom Huff and his company have major plans to cash in on the resources that lie below the bayou by ramming a dragline through the Pitre property. Justin and his fiery wife Grace go to all len ...more
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published November 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Crawfish Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crawfish Mountain

Laura Cushing
Apr 08, 2012 Laura Cushing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tale of wetlands preservationists and Big Oil duking it out in the Louisiana bayous was very well written. The message was clear, but not preachy, and the story was very entertaining.

The 'Guv' , and Julie were my favorite love story in the book , though there were several - and the warm ties of friendship and family shone through.

There's even a reference to Junior from one of the author's other books, Junior's Leg, in passing- so if you read very carefully you'll learn what he's been up to
Gail Lipe
The political struggle between the oil company and the environmental impacts of planned work was very interesting to me. I also enjoyed the descriptions of the bayous and marshes, and the information about how their degradation impacts farther inland. The characters were very believable, and Wells did a good job writing.

There were two things I didn't particularly care for: The amount of graphic information about one of the character's sex life, and the fact that the story just ended. There was q
Andrea
Dec 14, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very similar to Hiassen.
Gay
Jan 29, 2008 Gay rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, humor, thriller
After finishing this book I did a little research on Ken Wells and just as I thought, the fictional "Black Bayou" community is patterned on my home town of Houma. The French names such at Petrie were, of course, familiar as they are all over the Cajun Bayou, but when the author mentioned "Ellinder" I knew. I was born in Ellinder Hospital in Houma!

I also discovered that Ken Wells worked as a journalist in Florida which explains the tone and genre of the book. Remember how I said "This book remin
Suzon
Feb 14, 2008 Suzon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: camille; claire; marguerite ardoin; vanessa
Shelves: louisiana
I had a great time reading this book, as I was vey familiar with the locale and culture in which it takes place; I'm not sure what my reaction would have been if I were not. It was, in any case, a fun story with a vey important message. I hope that this book helps to achieve broader recognition of the serious problem of the loss of the La. wetlands.

I think that the portrayal of the cajun culture was accurate, but it was laid on a little thick; e.g. every meal eaten in So. La. is not seafood or g
Stephanie
Oct 08, 2007 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without being preachy, Wells has created an argument for coastal wetlands preservation in southern Louisiana. As with his other books, he has introduced a colorful cast of characters and kept the plot moving along at a nice pace. He has also demonstrated what needs to happen for wilderness preservation/conservation projects to really take off -- a meeting of the minds between varied interest groups, who normally might not have too much in common, in the efforts of protecting a resource that they ...more
Kkraemer
The story of the little guy vs. the big guy is told here, with details about the bayou country, money movement between deep pockets, big oil, lying, cheating, stealing, fishing, and surprisingly tender romances. It's a classic story, told with just enough outrage to let the reader know that, while the book is fictional, it's also true.

Wells draws a great cast of characters (who doesn't love to hate a guy with a Napoleonic complex?) and descriptions of the bayou that make you ache to stand on a b
Jan
Jan 21, 2009 Jan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had read Meely LaBauve by Ken Wells and liked the style, so I thought I'd read another of his books. This was not nearly up to the standard. It could have been written by a high school student who knew Louisana well. What a disappointment. I stuck with it and read the whole thing, but I can't understand why I did. Characters were shallow, dialog was silly and predictable. The ending was the worst! Everything fit so neatly it made me sick!
Vic
Dec 21, 2008 Vic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story that takes place in Louisiana. It has a satisfying and hopelessly romantic ending. Written in the style of Carl Hiaasen's book of Florida corruption amidst heartwarming stories, Wells pulls off the same tone and feel. It almost made me interested in taking an up close look at the swamps. Almost.
Heathercan
I'm not sure what attracted me to the book but I enjoyed it somewhat, mostly for the exploration of Louisiana culture. It's an entertaining book that is suspenseful but it's over the top with the message it's trying to get across: protection of LA's wetlands. I totally agree with that but I like authors to be more subtle with their agendas.
Mmb
May 28, 2012 Mmb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Ken Wells a lot and this book was a fun read, but not as wacky and wild as his LeBauve trilogy which includes one of my all time favorites--Junior's Leg. Crawfish Mountain was a very environmentally conscious book in the style of Hiassen.
Leslie
May 12, 2008 Leslie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ppl from Louisiana
Shelves: fiction, audiobooks
I would only read this book if you are really into Louisiana politics or the oil industry. I didn't care much for it.
Mary Kay
May 13, 2009 Mary Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has it all - romance, suspense, environmental issues, gorgeous scenery & some really bad guys.
Brent
May 08, 2008 Brent rated it really liked it
Good ole'boys meet Oil Co. politics and greed in La. Real good so far.I finished it and am still of the same opinion.It was fun
Matt
Jan 28, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stuff-i-read
Very charming tale of a small city in Bayou country. Big-city politics mix with backwoods heros. Ken Wells is very familiar with his characters and can paint an excellent portrait.
Valerie
A political, satirical pageturner about a serious subject - read for Bill's reading group at the time of the oil spill in the Gulf - totally unplanned timing but very appropriate.
Katie
Nov 15, 2009 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another to add to my list of books that I've read recently with a little too much going on for one story. The characters were a little to stereotypical Cajun, but it was still an interesting read.
Jeffschaffer
It wasn't quite the zaniness of Carl Hiaasen but not a bad Cajun version of that fun, with good guys to root for.
Deborah
Jan 21, 2008 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty slow to start. Eventually, (about 2/3rds into the book it gets very good. It just takes awhile to get there.
Mary Z : )
Oct 03, 2012 Mary Z : ) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED Ken Wells' Meely LeBauve trilogy, and was hoping this one showed the same excellent storytelling skill. The storyline wasn't my cup of tea (or Community coffee, for that matter).
Fay
Feb 10, 2008 Fay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author had a good story line with the oil companies versus the marsh. But, he over-did the Louisiana politics and the characters. The story was too far-fetched.
Nancy Bradli
May 12, 2012 Nancy Bradli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending was a bit contrived but overall a good read. Great description of the bayous of Louisiana as well as of the Cajun people. Very entertaining as well as informative.
Irene
Irene rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2008
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Cricket
Cricket rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2009
Danny
Danny rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2017
Centoria Coffil
Centoria Coffil rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2014
Ryne
Ryne rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015