Crawfish Mountain

Crawfish Mountain

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  23 reviews

Ken Wells’s highly acclaimed picaresque Catahoula Bayou novels introduced “one of the most compelling voices in fiction of the last decade” (Los Angeles Times). Now Wells is back, writing about his favorite subject–the exotic, beleaguered Louisiana wetlands–in a sharp, rollicking tale of corporate corruption and political shenanigans. The fight over one man’s tract of sacr

Audio CD, 8 pages
Published November 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published October 1st 2007)

Laura Cushing
This tale of wetlands preservationists and Big Oil duking it out in the Louisiana bayous was very well written. The message was clear, but not preachy, and the story was very entertaining.

The 'Guv' , and Julie were my favorite love story in the book , though there were several - and the warm ties of friendship and family shone through.

There's even a reference to Junior from one of the author's other books, Junior's Leg, in passing- so if you read very carefully you'll learn what he's been up to...more
Gail Lipe
The political struggle between the oil company and the environmental impacts of planned work was very interesting to me. I also enjoyed the descriptions of the bayous and marshes, and the information about how their degradation impacts farther inland. The characters were very believable, and Wells did a good job writing.

There were two things I didn't particularly care for: The amount of graphic information about one of the character's sex life, and the fact that the story just ended. There was q...more
Gay
After finishing this book I did a little research on Ken Wells and just as I thought, the fictional "Black Bayou" community is patterned on my home town of Houma. The French names such at Petrie were, of course, familiar as they are all over the Cajun Bayou, but when the author mentioned "Ellinder" I knew. I was born in Ellinder Hospital in Houma!

I also discovered that Ken Wells worked as a journalist in Florida which explains the tone and genre of the book. Remember how I said "This book remin...more
Suzon
Feb 19, 2008 Suzon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: camille; claire; marguerite ardoin; vanessa
Shelves: louisiana
I had a great time reading this book, as I was vey familiar with the locale and culture in which it takes place; I'm not sure what my reaction would have been if I were not. It was, in any case, a fun story with a vey important message. I hope that this book helps to achieve broader recognition of the serious problem of the loss of the La. wetlands.

I think that the portrayal of the cajun culture was accurate, but it was laid on a little thick; e.g. every meal eaten in So. La. is not seafood or g...more
Stephanie
Without being preachy, Wells has created an argument for coastal wetlands preservation in southern Louisiana. As with his other books, he has introduced a colorful cast of characters and kept the plot moving along at a nice pace. He has also demonstrated what needs to happen for wilderness preservation/conservation projects to really take off -- a meeting of the minds between varied interest groups, who normally might not have too much in common, in the efforts of protecting a resource that they...more
Jan
I had read Meely LaBauve by Ken Wells and liked the style, so I thought I'd read another of his books. This was not nearly up to the standard. It could have been written by a high school student who knew Louisana well. What a disappointment. I stuck with it and read the whole thing, but I can't understand why I did. Characters were shallow, dialog was silly and predictable. The ending was the worst! Everything fit so neatly it made me sick!
Heathercan
I'm not sure what attracted me to the book but I enjoyed it somewhat, mostly for the exploration of Louisiana culture. It's an entertaining book that is suspenseful but it's over the top with the message it's trying to get across: protection of LA's wetlands. I totally agree with that but I like authors to be more subtle with their agendas.
Vic
A sweet story that takes place in Louisiana. It has a satisfying and hopelessly romantic ending. Written in the style of Carl Hiaasen's book of Florida corruption amidst heartwarming stories, Wells pulls off the same tone and feel. It almost made me interested in taking an up close look at the swamps. Almost.
Mmb
I enjoy Ken Wells a lot and this book was a fun read, but not as wacky and wild as his LeBauve trilogy which includes one of my all time favorites--Junior's Leg. Crawfish Mountain was a very environmentally conscious book in the style of Hiassen.
Katie
Another to add to my list of books that I've read recently with a little too much going on for one story. The characters were a little to stereotypical Cajun, but it was still an interesting read.
Matt
Very charming tale of a small city in Bayou country. Big-city politics mix with backwoods heros. Ken Wells is very familiar with his characters and can paint an excellent portrait.
Mary Z : )
I LOVED Ken Wells' Meely LeBauve trilogy, and was hoping this one showed the same excellent storytelling skill. The storyline wasn't my cup of tea (or Community coffee, for that matter).
Valerie
A political, satirical pageturner about a serious subject - read for Bill's reading group at the time of the oil spill in the Gulf - totally unplanned timing but very appropriate.
Nancy Bradli
The ending was a bit contrived but overall a good read. Great description of the bayous of Louisiana as well as of the Cajun people. Very entertaining as well as informative.
Fay
The author had a good story line with the oil companies versus the marsh. But, he over-did the Louisiana politics and the characters. The story was too far-fetched.
Deborah
This book is pretty slow to start. Eventually, (about 2/3rds into the book it gets very good. It just takes awhile to get there.
Brent
Good ole'boys meet Oil Co. politics and greed in La. Real good so far.I finished it and am still of the same opinion.It was fun
Jeffschaffer
It wasn't quite the zaniness of Carl Hiaasen but not a bad Cajun version of that fun, with good guys to root for.
Leslie
Jun 03, 2008 Leslie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ppl from Louisiana
Shelves: fiction, audiobooks
I would only read this book if you are really into Louisiana politics or the oil industry. I didn't care much for it.
Mary Kay
This book has it all - romance, suspense, environmental issues, gorgeous scenery & some really bad guys.
Alice
This book was great. If you know anything about Cajun life, you will get a real kick out of it.
Joel
Great book, easy read. Think Cajuns would appreciate this one.
Chris
A little predictable but still a good night stand book
Rhonda Leray
Rhonda Leray is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Meely LaBauve Junior's Leg: A Novel Travels with Barley: A Journey Through Beer Culture in America Logan's Storm: A Novel The Good Pirates of the Forgotten Bayous: Fighting to Save a Way of Life in the Wake of Hurricane Katrina