Start by marking “Effective Modern C++: 42 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of C++11 and C++14” as Want to Read:
Effective Modern C++: 42 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of C++11 and C++14

Effective Modern C++: 42 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of C++11 and C++14 (Effective C++ #4)

Coming to grips with C++11 and C++14 is more than a matter of familiarizing yourself with the features they introduce (e.g., auto type declarations, move semantics, lambda expressions, and concurrency support). The challenge is learning to use those features effectively--so that your software is correct, efficient, maintainable, and portable. That's where this practical bo ...more
Published December 12th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Effective Modern C++, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Effective Modern C++

Michelle
Nov 23, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
Man, C++ is ridiculous (fan of straight C and find C++'s craziness hard to swallow at times), but this book is fantastic because it doesn't teach you to program. It shows you what is new in C++ 11. It gives specific action items and patterns to follow when you're coding. Likewise, the book is easy to follow provided that you are familiar with the C++ concepts from previous versions that it uses to explain the new features.

Effective Modern C++ came recommended by a mentor when I asked for recomme
Ondrej Sykora
Feb 05, 2015 Ondrej Sykora rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
I'm on a fence. On one hand, Effective Modern C++ is very well written book. Actually, it is clear that the author spent an enormous amount of time perfecting every aspect of the book, including the coloring of the code examples to make the book as good as it can be.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about the target audience - the book is not a reference (or even a textbook) on C++ 11/14, so this is definitely not a book for someone who doesn't know the languages and it even recommends going to st
Dmitri Nesteruk
Feb 04, 2015 Dmitri Nesteruk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cplusplus
First of all, if you're involved with C++ in any capacity, you pretty much have to read this book because, to be honest, there isn't much good literature around. Also, ever since the introduction of move semantics, lambdas and other 'advanced' goodies, things got really complicated which means that everyone (and especially people involved with C++ tools or IDEs) now need to know how to deal with the added layers of supposedly necessary complexity.
Tim Thirion
Jan 08, 2015 Tim Thirion rated it it was amazing
This is how one should write an advanced language tutorial -- as a walkthrough of new language mechanics mixed with both best practices and potential hang-ups.

I've read through this once, but I know I'll continue to use this as a reference as more systems move toward C++11/14.
Michael
Feb 02, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
Recommended for any c++ programmer. Made me really fall in love with the language. I'd almost recommend that a person learn c++ just so they could read this book.
Ali
Jul 14, 2015 Ali rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, work
A free pre-release edition, that upgraded itself when I was halfway through it.

In short, a survey of the new features available with the newest revisions of C++, along with suggestions on the best ways to use them. Clear and concise, with each item explained so straightforwardly that it is instantly understandable. But with dashes of humor, to give your brain short respites between the avalanches of facts and logic.

I began by reading the book in the proper order, starting with an explanation of
Rene Stein
Nov 30, 2014 Rene Stein rated it it was amazing
Už dlouho jsem se tak nebavil při čtení odborné knihy. Jeden z nejlepších autorů, Scott Meyers, o jednom z nejlepších programovacích jazyků (C++ 11/14). Kniha by se mi hodila už v roce 2011, ale i v roce 2014 je dobré zkonfrontovat své "best practices" se Scottovými doporučeními. Pro lidi, kteří s C++ 11/14 začínají a horko těžko zvládli novou syntaxi, se jedná o povinnou četbu, protože jsou jinak na projektech nepoužitelní (empiricky na některých projektech ověřeno a na těchto projektech nebylo ...more
Simón
May 16, 2016 Simón rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Great book! An excellent walk through the new features in C++11 and C++14. The rvalue & lvalue and type inference sections are tricky and will require me to visit them again, but the others (introduction to modern features, auto, lambdas, smart pointers and concurrency) were very good.

I probably liked more his Effective C++: maybe the tone in this one is a bit too annoying, but still a great technical book.
John Pyrce
Dec 06, 2016 John Pyrce rated it really liked it
Excellent coverage of topics new to modern C++. The details can be tedious ....
Chris Sharpe
Sep 19, 2016 Chris Sharpe rated it really liked it
Not quite as brilliant as Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs, Effective Modern C++ tries to follow the same style, but misses in some small ways.

Most of the book is really trying to teach important new C++11 and C++14 features. This means many of the items are really just "Understand new feature X", which doesn't have quite the same practical impact as the original book. Whereas the original was widely considered the best "second C++ book to read", this is reall
Murray Cumming
Aug 29, 2015 Murray Cumming rated it really liked it
I love C++. I am really grateful that Scott Meyers took the time to research and explore the implications of the the huge changes in C++11 but it seems like the C++ world is still far from a new consensus about how we should write C++. His frustration does show. It hasn't felt this way since C++ compilers were just starting to become good enough around 2000 but it should settle down faster this time.

I guess that a second edition could be really good after it has been consolidated and refined. Fo
Ian Halliday
May 31, 2015 Ian Halliday rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Second half of the book got rather dry, esoteric, and really boring. Not necessarily the fault of this book, C++11/14 is certainly a very technical and dry topic of interest. Chapter 5 on rvalues and move construction is important if you're going to be writing a library API for use by 3rd parties. If not it is really tedious and boring. I would not recommend reading it until you need to worry about move construction. Chapter 7 on concurrency feels like it basically tells you that C++'s new ...more
Fabien Niñoles
Mar 29, 2015 Fabien Niñoles rated it really liked it
Another great book of Scott Meyers, although I feel it was a bit shorter than the previous ones. Maybe it's because the subject is more succinct (he only talk about the new features of C++11 and C++14), or that we have less experience using those features (and so that new patterns still need to emerge from their usage), or even simply because I'm now far more experimented than the first time I read 'Effective C++' and 'More Effective C++', and that I follow up very closely the evolution of C++ ...more
Eugene Mamin
Aug 02, 2015 Eugene Mamin rated it really liked it
Interesting guide for C++11/14 software development.

Strong parts:
Rvalues and uniform initialization syntax viewed under precise microscope.
One of the most descriptive atomic and volatile comparison provided in this book.

Weak parts:
Concurrent and tweaks chapters were too short and too partial.

Spectacular samples and underwater stones are present.
Incompleteness is a real issue and a reasonable drawback of this book, I think.
Marc Udoff
Nov 07, 2015 Marc Udoff rated it it was amazing
The latest edition of Meyers classic is a pleasant read for a technical book. He writes clearly and the examples are all exceptional. He takes you through topics in a sensible manner with a few jokes along the way to make the reading more fun and less text book like. One of the best references out there.
Alasdair Craig
Oct 29, 2015 Alasdair Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming, kindle
Excellent book, covers so many topics. A must read for anyone enthusiastic about modern C++. I read the eBook version and didn't enjoy that experience. The formatting of the code snippets wasn't great and I've since ordered the print version. A programming book that really can be read from start to end, which is rare. And then I also know I'll use it in future as a reference work as well.
Bret Simon
Feb 07, 2016 Bret Simon rated it really liked it
Not your father's C++, the language gets a very modern upgrade. Myers' books are great but some of his items require various familiarity with C++11. Items on lambdas and concurrency probably deserve a book on their own
Mohammad Farhan Husain
Excellent book as expected!

Another hit by Scott! I learned a lot from this one. Lots of examples with clear explanations. I would recommend it to anyone trying to learn the new C++11 and C++14 features.
Alexei Averchenko
Aug 24, 2015 Alexei Averchenko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Very informative - and scary

After reading this book, I understand much more deeply how various new features of C++11 work, in case I'll ever need to use them. And if I won't, I'll stick to C with Classes, thank you very much!
Kemand
Jan 18, 2016 Kemand marked it as to-read
thats a very good book for c++ programmers, and there's now a Russian translation of Effective Modern C++ (
Эффективный и современный С++: 42 рекомендации по использованию C++11 и C++14
Ben
Mar 31, 2016 Ben rated it it was amazing
Excellent, in-depth review of the most important C++11 and C++14 features, patterns, and caveats. Very readable and very clear.
Scot
Dec 24, 2015 Scot rated it really liked it
Informative, but not a great intro to C++11/14 for someone like me who is very familiar with "old" C++ but not at all with "modern". Wish there was a good overview to have read beforehand.
Yao Liu
May 19, 2016 Yao Liu rated it really liked it
Introduces new c++11 and c++14 features.
Explain clearly new convoluted concepts such as type deduction.
Recommend for anyone who wants to get familiar with C++11.
Tomas Systecon
May 31, 2016 Tomas Systecon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: development-tech
A very good comprehensive book on news in C++11/14 and on how to utilize the C++ language in an effective way with all development that has happened.
Dmitry
Jun 16, 2015 Dmitry rated it liked it
This book gives so deep dive into C++ (11,14) and highlights language’s dark corners, so I started hating C++ after this book read.
Jpcolino
Jpcolino rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Arvydas Sidorenko
Arvydas Sidorenko rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Bailey Forrest
Bailey Forrest rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2015
Quinn
Quinn rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Byambajav Namsraijav
Byambajav Namsraijav rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
  • Programming Pearls
  • HTML5: Up and Running
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Writing Secure Code
  • Windows® Internals (PRO-Developer)
  • The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and UNIX System Programming Handbook

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Effective C++ (4 books)
  • Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs
  • More Effective C++
  • Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library

“(If you’re not at all interested in performance, shouldn’t you be in the Python room down the hall?)” 1 likes
“std::bind(setAlarm,             std::bind(std::plus<>(),                       std::bind(steady_clock::now),                       1h),             _1,             30s);” 0 likes