Start by marking “The Dudes Abide: The Coen Brothers and the Making of The Big Lebowski (Kindle Single)” as Want to Read:

In the autumn of 1996, Joel and Ethan Coen were a few months from filming their seventh feature film, The Big Lebowski. Their sixth, Fargo, was released that March to acclaim; awards would follow. Alex Belth, a 25-year-old aspiring filmmaker, landed a job as their personal assistant on Lebowski — and for the next year, was the fly on the wall as the Coens created the movie ...more
Published July 23rd 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Dudes Abide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dudes Abide

Charles
Sep 28, 2016 Charles rated it really liked it
The Dudes Abide is not your typical Hollywood tell-all. At just the right length, this unique piece reveals the process that a group of filmmakers went through to create The Big Lebowski.

Usually, these types of efforts come in the form of full-length books that exasperate and exhaust the reader with tales of extravagant partying, outrageous temper tantrums and productions that are plagued by endless interruptions, delays, and disappointments...yet somehow come magically together in the end. Con
Scott
Jul 27, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing
Loved the movie, and this was a very well detailed insider look at the making of it. I was most impressed with how the Coen brothers are depicted. Seem like very professional and fun guys. They are obviously extremely talented writers and directors, but it was pretty cool to see them in a sort of casual setting, behind the scenes, just being guys. They didn't come off as big-time movie people, being shitty just because they can. They took this guy on as a personal assistant and really went out ...more
Katie
Dec 07, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
I'm such a fan of the Coen brothers, and The Big Lebowski! The Dudes Abide... is an impressive behind-the-scenes look at the brothers right before and during their mainstream breakout. Similar to Patrick Fugit's character in Almost Famous, the narrator is an ordinary man, gently observing the hubbub around him. This is a super quick read at less than 50 pages, which I didn't realize when I bought it. I could see this being published chapter by chapter in a magazine. In any scenario, 'twas a fun ...more
Jishnu Bhattacharya
Apr 09, 2015 Jishnu Bhattacharya rated it it was amazing
Steve
Oct 15, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
I'm a fan of the movie but not such a devoted cult follower that I quote the film or subject all my friends to repeated watchings. I was hoping for some good inside info, like who screentested and failed, which ideas were thrown out. Funny asides while filming. Instead this is kind of a gloss over of the film and the Coen's themselves with some mentions of fetching coffee and being fired. Not a lot of material here but still a quick read for fans of the film.
Milton Roiz
Oct 27, 2014 Milton Roiz rated it really liked it
Good look behind the curtain

This is a nice quick read about the making of the Big Lebowski. It features many hilarious tidbits about the casting and production. The book was written by an assistant. Unfortunately, he was hurt and there was big parts of the filmmaking that was missed. If you are a fan of the Coen Brothers, then this is a great book.
Nicholas
Aug 05, 2014 Nicholas rated it liked it
Far out

Far out

It's an interesting little glimpse of one man's experience working on The Big Lebowski. It's far from comprehensive, but it remains a illustrative look into the Coen brothers'particular brand of movie-making. I'd certainly recommend it to fans of the film.
Erin (PT)
Aug 08, 2014 Erin (PT) rated it liked it
Recommended to Erin (PT) by: Amazon
I didn't love the author's voice, it was a little dudebro for me, but I love The Big Lebowski, so it was a quick, interesting behind-the-scenes read about the making of. I wish there'd been more about the shooting of the movie itself, but as the author wasn't present for a lot of it, what we got makes sense and, in that respect, the length was perfect.
Rex Fuller
Aug 07, 2014 Rex Fuller rated it really liked it
Here is the inside baseball of The Big Lebowski. Not quite the “Dudeness” of it, but getting there. About an hour’s read. No big deal, man. If you giggle more than once watching Lebowski for the twelfth time, this is for you. Otherwise, this view of production from the personal assistant/assistant editor for “The Boys” (Joel and Ethan Coen) is...well, I don’t know. I giggle.
Benjamin Chandler
Sep 27, 2014 Benjamin Chandler rated it liked it
An all too brief collection of memories and details from the making of one of my favorite films. I wish the book was beefier—it's way too short—but what's there is good, providing behind the scenes specifics you won't find on IMDB's "Lebowski" trivia page, as well as describing some of the ins and outs of how a motion picture really gets made.
Bob Wilson
Jan 25, 2015 Bob Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
As a Dudeist Priest, I found this book to be very enlightening! New shit has come to light! This is a very entertaining look behind the scenes of The Big Lebowski, and a glimpse on how the Coen brothers work. A nice, smooth read as enjoyable as a well-made caucasian!
Chris G Gillotti
Aug 10, 2014 Chris G Gillotti rated it liked it
Brief, interesting for Lebowski fans

Basically an extended essay. There are some fun details and stories about the Coens but it's very light in general. it's a good waiting room read
Kathleen Varga
Sep 01, 2014 Kathleen Varga rated it really liked it
My husband and I both really liked this book (and we both are big fans of the movie). The behind the scenes stories are both funny and interesting. After we read the book, we had to watch the movie again.
Petesea
Aug 24, 2014 Petesea rated it liked it
A quick read - though not deep enough for me. I would have liked it to be more in depth and much longer.
Nathan Duffy
Aug 22, 2014 Nathan Duffy rated it it was amazing
Very fun Kindle single by an assistant to the Coens on The Big Lebowski. Lots of interesting tidbits & an intriguing look behind the scenes. Essential reading for Lebowski-ites.
Mary
Dec 28, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
A brief funny look behind the scenes of a fantastic movie. If you like the Coen Brothers, give this peek behind the curtains a try.
Christian
Oct 19, 2014 Christian rated it liked it
Fun reading. The writing was dry and matter-of-fact - probably not gripping to anyone not already fascinated by the Coens.
Noah Dropkin
Aug 18, 2014 Noah Dropkin rated it really liked it
A simple and entertaining read for an evening. If you like the movie this is worth an hour of your time. Treat it like a palette cleanser between other books.
Nathalie
Aug 13, 2014 Nathalie rated it it was amazing
Ha!! Love it. Not even their wives, much less their personal assistant, know what makes this brother duo tick.
Sheila Atchison
Jan 05, 2015 Sheila Atchison rated it it was amazing
Good book for a fan!!

Enjoyed, short interesting read! If you are a fan of The Big Lebowski, you will enjoy this book! Go for it!
David R
Dec 27, 2014 David R rated it it was amazing
This was a great one. If you like the movie, you will love this. Nothing salacious or mean in this. Just a good tale about working on a good movie.
Martha
Aug 08, 2014 Martha rated it liked it
I didn't realize that the book was not going to discuss the movie. It reminded me of a diary. The story felt more personal to her than about the movie.
Dan Maughan
May 16, 2015 Dan Maughan rated it it was amazing
Easy read

Great to get the backstory from another vantage point. Too bad about the ankle Alex, but duck it dude let's go bowling
Vicki Pearson
Vicki Pearson rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Kevin Kloza
Kevin Kloza rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2015
Jim Essian
Jim Essian rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
C. Mitchell
C. Mitchell rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2014
Tom McGuffey
Tom McGuffey rated it it was ok
May 12, 2015
Tom Wilson
Tom Wilson rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2014
Barclay Loftus
Barclay Loftus rated it it was ok
May 24, 2015
  • I Love Lucy Book
  • A Scientist in Wonderland: A Memoir for Truth and Finding Trouble
  • The Canal Builders: Making America's Empire at the Panama Canal
  • Weird Al Yankovic: The Kindle Singles Interview (Kindle Single)
  • Sea of Gray: The Around-The-World Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah
  • Lucky Man
  • American Cocktail: A "Colored Girl" in the World
  • Slouching Toward Fargo: A Two-Year Saga Of Sinners And St. Paul Saints At The Bottom Of The Bush Leagues With Bill Murray, Darryl Strawberry, Dakota Sadie And Me
  • Six Seconds in Dallas: A Micro-Study of the Kennedy Assassination
  • Deadpool: Dead Head Redemption
  • Ken Burns: The Kindle Singles Interview (Kindle Single)
  • The Heart Can Be Filled Anywhere on Earth
  • Midwife: A Calling
  • Trapped: My Life with Cerebral Palsy
  • The Ice Opinion: Who Gives a Fuck?
  • Route 66: The Mother Road
  • Yoga for Runners
  • Arrested Development and Philosophy: They've Made a Huge Mistake

“Michael Gambon, the British actor best known in the States for Dennis Potter’s The Singing Detective (and later for playing professor Albus Dumbledore in the final six Harry Potter movies), was a contender for the role of the Big Lebowski. Joel had met him in New York, Ethan said, “Yeah, he’s … a good actor and we have a mutual friend and he’s supposed to be perfectly pleasant to work with …” “But?” “But …” Gambon was British. The idea didn’t seem … right, not for a real Pasadena guy.” 0 likes
“They talked about Brando. Bridges said that his brother, Beau, once worked with Brando and the great actor said, “I want to have eye contact with you, do you mind putting the lines on your forehead?” 0 likes