Start by marking “Currency (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Currency (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 2)

Currency (The Baroque Cycle (8 volume) #7)

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  708 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
This is the middle third of the volume originally published as The System of the World.
Paperback
Published October 31st 2006 by Hartorch (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Currency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Currency

Julie
I loved, loved, loved this installment in the Baroque cycle. Action, intrigue, science, royal succession, Jesuits, slavery, the creation of money, alchemy . . . this book has it all. It is nearly impossible to categorize this series of novels except to say that they are unlike any other books I have ever read. I can’t wait to listen to the final installment. The writing is phenomenal. One of the things I absolutely love is the way Stephenson describes people. Here are three quotes from "Currency ...more
Tim Jin
Mar 04, 2014 Tim Jin rated it it was amazing
After finishing "Solomon’s Gold", I was excited to get through the "Currency." I was suspecting that the story would pick up in the second book in the last volume. For anyone that has been invested in the Baroque Cycle thus far, there is an instinct trait of Neal Stephenson's writing. Depending on the tempo of the setting, his style can be slow and fast. Unlike other authors, Stephenson let the reader decide on what pace to read these books.

For example, the Baroque Cycle could be considered as
Turkish
Jun 14, 2014 Turkish rated it really liked it
Устаешь восторгаться таланту Нила Стивенсона, который из книги в книгу не знает угасания. В этой части особенно хорошо продемонстрирована, так сказать, макро синхронизация сюжетных линий ( он мастер этого дела) : если в "Смешении" он широкими взмахами связывал героев ниточками длинной в месяца, а то и годы, то в "Движении" Стивенсон тончайшими мазками поминутно изображает жизнь каждого из важнейших лиц романа, отмечает влияние каждого мазка на все другие, связывая каждое действие в увлекательный ...more
Clif Hostetler
Aug 08, 2011 Clif Hostetler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 7 of 8 in the Baroque Cycle (or the 2nd book in the third volume as first published). It takes place during during the year 1714 in London.

At the beginning of this book we learn what Jack the Coiner (a.k.a Jack Shaftoe) was up to in raiding the Tower in the previous book. He managed to cast doubt on the integrity of British money by tampering with an item of the mint's quality control system. (You'll need to read the book yourself to have it explained.) This is a serous challenge to
Mykola
Jan 10, 2013 Mykola rated it it was amazing
Прочитати «Бароковий цикл» Ніла Стівенсона залпом не виходить (думаю, не тільки у мене), але читати його по роману-два на рік — справжнє задоволення.
Автор вибудовує свою реальність настільки детально (тут з цілком рококошним іноді надміром), що не тільки персонажі, а й читач оселяється у цьому просторі. Можна сказати, що кінець циклу не настільки різноплановий жанрово, як початок. Але ж і персонажів зустрічаєш, як давніх знайомих. Так і є: дехто з них прожив на сторінках романів ціле життя на н
Ed
May 20, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
Notwithstanding its title, Currency is as much to do with the politics of succession as does with money. As entertaining as it is informative.

One cannot but be impressed with Stephenson's polymathic abilities.

Unfortunately, only one more title left in this series.
Michael Nash
Dec 06, 2015 Michael Nash rated it it was amazing
*1st Reading*
Manages to pull together most of the threads of the *very* complicated story of the baroque cycle into a magnificent conclusion. I thought that du Gex had been flanderized from his first appearance into a Snidely Whiplash figure, but it was totally worth it for the epic scene (view spoiler). I feel like The System of the World can't but be a long denouement. But I feel like the series was worth it for this book alone.

*2nd Reading*
Halle Lieu
Jan 30, 2016 Halle Lieu rated it really liked it
"I'm keen to know whether the next English King is going to be German or French."
Rrrrrron
Jun 04, 2014 Rrrrrron rated it liked it
Shelves: post-tun
This book slowed down abit. The dialogue is still good. But it did not have the drama of the 1st book in volume 3.
Nicholas Anderson
May 13, 2016 Nicholas Anderson rated it it was amazing
Probably the best of the series so far. This one had some hilarious bits and plenty of plot twists to keep me interested.
Bett Correa-Bollhoefer
Jan 03, 2016 Bett Correa-Bollhoefer rated it it was amazing
Best one so far!!
Lladroluv
Jul 27, 2014 Lladroluv rated it liked it
Gotta love Jack!
Kevin
Oct 28, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it
The seventh book in the series. This was was a fun adventure focusing at how the use of currency really started (beyond just the cash part) and tying in an active adventure with all our heros. Jack still plays an active part as does Eliza, Daniel, and Newton. Interesting read.

Karen Chamis
Dec 07, 2015 Karen Chamis rated it really liked it
First and foremost, I love this series. That said, this is the weakest link in that wondrous chain. I'm hoping it is because this book sets up a grand finale!
Jeff
Mar 05, 2012 Jeff rated it liked it
Interesting progress in the story following the Isaac Newton and coining in the Tower of London. In the background, the workings of Jack Shaftoe are ever-present.
Theresident
Mar 09, 2011 Theresident rated it it was amazing
Nothing compares to the Baroque Cycle, except maybe "Lost," and that is cheating because it has a huge budget and moving pictures. I prefer Neal's Jack at any rate.
Jan
Dec 20, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
While still charming, innovation or shortening is needed. The plot hardly makes progress and the reader is neither surprised or awed.
Eric
Mar 05, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it
Daniel Waterhouse and Isaac Newton play a game of cat and mouse with Jack Shaftoe against a backdrop of political upheaval in England.
Joost Pisters
Jun 10, 2012 Joost Pisters rated it really liked it
Another gripping volume of the Baroque Cycle. Stephenson is so masterly changing between slow and fast pace action.
Blue
Dec 31, 2010 Blue rated it liked it
Good grief...the longer this series goes on, the more difficult it gets...
I still like Jack Shaftoe...
Nathan
Jan 06, 2016 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Still enjoyable. A tiny bit faster paced than some of its predecessors.
D Calco
Jul 12, 2010 D Calco rated it it was amazing
The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3) by Neal Stephenson (2004)
Timmeh
Aug 06, 2013 Timmeh rated it it was amazing
A satisfying conclusion. I loved the duel, so good.
Naomi
Apr 03, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another fine installment in the series.
John
fiction,steampunk,science fiction
Daniel Bensen
Daniel Bensen rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Mc Alfred
Mc Alfred marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Maayan Bennaim
Maayan Bennaim rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Yefim
Yefim marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
  • Torture Team: Rumsfeld's Memo and the Betrayal of American Values
  • The Count of Monte Cristo: Abridged
  • The Pinochet File: A Declassified Dossier on Atrocity and Accountability
  • Rip-Off!
  • Where the Hell is Tesla? A Novel
  • Von Bek (Eternal Champion, #2)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eleventh Annual Collection
  • The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten
  • Debugging the Development Process: Practical Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and Building Solid Teams
  • The Condor Years: How Pinochet And His Allies Brought Terrorism To Three Continents
  • The Heaven Makers
  • Banner of Souls
  • Tales From the Radiation Age
  • The Early Asimov: Book One
  • Why Geography Matters: More Than Ever
  • Apollo: The Race To The Moon
  • Badge, Book, and Candle (Bookburners, #1)
  • Pax Britannica: Climax of an Empire
Neal Stephenson is the author of Reamde, Anathem, and the three-volume historical epic the Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World), as well as Cryptonomicon, The Diamond Age, Snow Crash, and Zodiac. He lives in Seattle, Washington.
More about Neal Stephenson...

The Baroque Cycle (8 volume) (8 books)
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 1, Book 1)
  • King of the Vagabonds (The Baroque Cycle, Book 2)
  • Odalisque (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 1, Book 3)
  • The Confusion, Part I (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 2, Book 1)
  • The Confusion, Part II (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 2, Book 2)
  • Solomon's Gold (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 1)
  • The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 3)