Start by marking “Currency (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Currency (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 2)

Currency (The Baroque Cycle (8 volume) #7)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  641 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This is the middle third of the volume originally published as The System of the World.
Published October 31st 2006 by Hartorch (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Currency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Currency

I loved, loved, loved this installment in the Baroque cycle. Action, intrigue, science, royal succession, Jesuits, slavery, the creation of money, alchemy . . . this book has it all. It is nearly impossible to categorize this series of novels except to say that they are unlike any other books I have ever read. I can’t wait to listen to the final installment. The writing is phenomenal. One of the things I absolutely love is the way Stephenson describes people. Here are three quotes from "Currency ...more
Tim Jin
After finishing "Solomon’s Gold", I was excited to get through the "Currency." I was suspecting that the story would pick up in the second book in the last volume. For anyone that has been invested in the Baroque Cycle thus far, there is an instinct trait of Neal Stephenson's writing. Depending on the tempo of the setting, his style can be slow and fast. Unlike other authors, Stephenson let the reader decide on what pace to read these books.

For example, the Baroque Cycle could be considered as
Устаешь восторгаться таланту Нила Стивенсона, который из книги в книгу не знает угасания. В этой части особенно хорошо продемонстрирована, так сказать, макро синхронизация сюжетных линий ( он мастер этого дела) : если в "Смешении" он широкими взмахами связывал героев ниточками длинной в месяца, а то и годы, то в "Движении" Стивенсон тончайшими мазками поминутно изображает жизнь каждого из важнейших лиц романа, отмечает влияние каждого мазка на все другие, связывая каждое действие в увлекательный ...more
Clif Hostetler
This is book 7 of 8 in the Baroque Cycle (or the 2nd book in the third volume as first published). It takes place during during the year 1714 in London.

At the beginning of this book we learn what Jack the Coiner (a.k.a Jack Shaftoe) was up to in raiding the Tower in the previous book. He managed to cast doubt on the integrity of British money by tampering with an item of the mint's quality control system. (You'll need to read the book yourself to have it explained.) This is a serous challenge to
Прочитати «Бароковий цикл» Ніла Стівенсона залпом не виходить (думаю, не тільки у мене), але читати його по роману-два на рік — справжнє задоволення.
Автор вибудовує свою реальність настільки детально (тут з цілком рококошним іноді надміром), що не тільки персонажі, а й читач оселяється у цьому просторі. Можна сказати, що кінець циклу не настільки різноплановий жанрово, як початок. Але ж і персонажів зустрічаєш, як давніх знайомих. Так і є: дехто з них прожив на сторінках романів ціле життя на н
Notwithstanding its title, Currency is as much to do with the politics of succession as does with money. As entertaining as it is informative.

One cannot but be impressed with Stephenson's polymathic abilities.

Unfortunately, only one more title left in this series.
This book slowed down abit. The dialogue is still good. But it did not have the drama of the 1st book in volume 3.
Gotta love Jack!
Michael Nash
Manages to pull together most of the threads of the *very* complicated story of the baroque cycle into a magnificent conclusion. I thought that du Gex had been flanderized from his first appearance into a Snidely Whiplash figure, but it was totally worth it for the epic scene (view spoiler). I feel like The System of the World can't but be a long denouement. But I feel like the series was worth it for this book alone.
The seventh book in the series. This was was a fun adventure focusing at how the use of currency really started (beyond just the cash part) and tying in an active adventure with all our heros. Jack still plays an active part as does Eliza, Daniel, and Newton. Interesting read.

Interesting progress in the story following the Isaac Newton and coining in the Tower of London. In the background, the workings of Jack Shaftoe are ever-present.
Nothing compares to the Baroque Cycle, except maybe "Lost," and that is cheating because it has a huge budget and moving pictures. I prefer Neal's Jack at any rate.
While still charming, innovation or shortening is needed. The plot hardly makes progress and the reader is neither surprised or awed.
Daniel Waterhouse and Isaac Newton play a game of cat and mouse with Jack Shaftoe against a backdrop of political upheaval in England.
Joost Pisters
Another gripping volume of the Baroque Cycle. Stephenson is so masterly changing between slow and fast pace action.
Good grief...the longer this series goes on, the more difficult it gets...
I still like Jack Shaftoe...
Still enjoyable. A tiny bit faster paced than some of its predecessors.
D Calco
The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3) by Neal Stephenson (2004)
A satisfying conclusion. I loved the duel, so good.
Another fine installment in the series.
fiction,steampunk,science fiction
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
John Schmidt
John Schmidt marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
David added it
Nov 20, 2015
Kevin added it
Nov 19, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
  • Torture Team: Rumsfeld's Memo and the Betrayal of American Values
  • The Pinochet File: A Declassified Dossier on Atrocity and Accountability
  • Where the Hell is Tesla?
  • Rip-Off!
  • The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten
  • The Condor Years: How Pinochet And His Allies Brought Terrorism To Three Continents
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eleventh Annual Collection
  • Fry's English Delight: Series 1 (Fry's English Delight, #1)
  • Ilion I: El asedio
  • Tales From the Radiation Age
  • Debugging the Development Process: Practical Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and Building Solid Teams
  • The Tyrannicide Brief: The Story of the Man Who Sent Charles I to the Scaffold
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • The Heaven Makers
  • Apollo: The Race To The Moon
  • Why Geography Matters: More Than Ever
  • Banner of Souls
  • Six Degrees of Assassination
Neal Stephenson is the author of Reamde, Anathem, and the three-volume historical epic the Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World), as well as Cryptonomicon, The Diamond Age, Snow Crash, and Zodiac. He lives in Seattle, Washington.
More about Neal Stephenson...

The Baroque Cycle (8 volume) (8 books)
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 1, Book 1)
  • King of the Vagabonds (The Baroque Cycle, Book 2)
  • Odalisque (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 1, Book 3)
  • The Confusion, Part I (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 2, Book 1)
  • The Confusion, Part II (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 2, Book 2)
  • Solomon's Gold (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 1)
  • The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 3)