Start by marking “Filthy Acquisitions” as Want to Read:

Filthy Acquisitions

Keldon Thurman hates his job, purchasing serial killer art for a private investor. He would quit if he weren’t completely impoverished, but with no life skills and no ways to generate income, Keldon has no options.

However, Acquisition Number Five proves to be more challenging than expected. Wheel-chair bound Irene Woullet and her handsome nurse caretaker, Joshua Greene, re
Published July 23rd 2014 by Wilde City Press

To ask other readers questions about Filthy Acquisitions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Filthy Acquisitions

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Edmond Manning is the author I turn to when I want something offbeat, something a little different than the average M/M romance fare. His stories are unique, quirky, and funny.

This is my forth book by him, and I'd say it's the most mainstream. While it still has that "Edmond touch," it is a book that will appeal to just about everyone. Everyone who is interested in a story about a guy collecting serial killer art for a wealthy patron, that is.

Keldon is just the kind of MC I like to read about.
Sofia
Aug 01, 2014 Sofia rated it it was amazing

5 stars because:

I finished this book this morning before leaving for work and today I floated in a Manning induced book high which is unique for me. Today, my world was better. I had a smile plastered on my face on the outside and another big smile happily floating inside.
Kaje Harper
Aug 12, 2014 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This is a more approachable, mainstream M/M romance than Edmond Manning's other books to date. Which is both a bonus and not. There is some of Manning's gorgeous language, his sentences that ring in your head with their clarity. And the story has a simple, unusual, engaging, and ultimately satisfying arc. But there is less whimsy, less unexpectedness, and less humor that jolts you out of complacency and into space. So read this, but then if you haven't already done so and you have a sense of ...more
Lena♥Ribka
Aug 18, 2014 Lena♥Ribka rated it liked it
Recommended to Lena♥Ribka by: Sofia
Shelves: contemporary

It is a hard book for me to rate.
On the one hand I like the beginning of the story and the idea about the buying up the paintings of the serial killer, on the other hand...I was disappointed at the end.

Don't get me wrong- it was not bad, it was not MANNINGLY good.
It was just an average MM-romance. And it could be written by everybody, almost by everybody. With a solid writing, with a nice choice of words. Nothing special.
Because I personally would have never recognized the unique voice of Edm
Irina
Oct 30, 2014 Irina rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Irina by: Sofia
As an emotional person, I like it when my books make me feel. And that's how I finished this book

As someone who constantly tries to improve one's personality, I loved this story for making me want to be a better human being. Books like that give me an opportunity to reflect on my own virtues and faults, the decisions I've made in the past. And I'd like to think that they help me learn how to make positive changes in my life.
"Don't wait until you're dying to recognize what's important."
And, be
Kazza
Jun 07, 2015 Kazza rated it it was amazing
I have not read Edmond Manning before but I shall be reading him again after the beautifully named and written Filthy Acquisitions.

Keldon has a contract to collect serial killer art of one specific serial killer, James Wayne Merrick (the author got the three names in) for his employer, Catherine Maggiarra. She uses the name Mr. Mercer for all the acquisitions and part of Keldon's contract is that has be discreet and not ask her about the reasons behind the collection, amongst other things. The
Otila
Dec 05, 2014 Otila rated it really liked it
Who wants to own a convicted serial killer’s art? Who wants that?

Keldon spent his early twenties being a kept boy. His previous two boyfriends had been older and rich. Once Keldon got older, he was no longer what those men wanted. Now at almost thirty he’s spent the last two years struggling to make ends meet. He doesn’t have any discernible skills since he dropped out of college to become a full time boyfriend. The only thing he feels he’s good at is manipulating people to get what he wants.

S
Vivian
Sep 15, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-contemp, fr
But at what price?

Keldon. Not exactly endearing at first glance. His negligence and superficial pursuits have left him in a bind. As such, when offered a lucrative job--he pounces. A job that is beyond distasteful to physically sickening--to him, negotiating to buy works of art completed by a serial killer.

The mystery is why? Who wants hackneyed works from a depraved mind? Keldon takes dossiers on the owners, convinces them to sell, and delivers them to his boss. He's good. Until he hits a snag
Beth
Jul 29, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
Well this story was not at all what I expected, though if you ask me, I couldn't tell you what I was expecting.. so don't ask. I think Author Edmond Manning likes his readers to be all over the place when beginning one of his stories, and this one was no exception. He likes to "level the playing field" so to speak. At first I loved Keldon and I couldn't stand Josh.... then I couldn't stand Keldon and I fell for Josh. Then I hated Keldon's employer, Catherine, and loved Josh's employer, Mrs. ...more
Maya
Dec 05, 2014 Maya rated it really liked it

I have a soft spot for flawed characters that for whatever reasons and/or wrong choices have hit bottom. Probably because there’s no other way but up from there. And I love it even more when the author takes such characters on a journey of self-acceptance and forgiveness.

Filthy Acquisitions is exactly this kind of journey for Keldon . Accepting a job to purchase fifteen paintings by a convicted serial killer for a private collector finally pushes him to his limits. He needs to change his life.

I
Allison
Jul 24, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, painful, uplifting story written with gorgeous language as only Edmond Manning seems able to do.

More to come but in the end what you need to know is that you need to read this book.
Becky Condit
Jul 31, 2014 Becky Condit rated it it was amazing
As reviewed in USA Today http://usat.ly/XmOIJh: This is a book that touched me deeply. Edmond Manning has a way of doing that in his writing, and this isn't the first time (King Perry gave me a nickname that I treasure, Queen Becky the Birthday Giver. You'll have to read that one to find out what kind of king or queen you are.)

Keldon doesn't hate his job at first. It's only after Josh makes him really examine why he's doing it that he realizes how much he hates himself, not just the job. But he
Susan
Sep 10, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read, free, z-2014
I'm already a huge fan of Edmond Manning and this book has only reinforced it. He has an amazing ability to bring his characters to life and they're never stereotypes, they're unique individuals who you feel you really know by the end of the book. I'm always sad to finish one of Edmond's books as I feel like I've invested so much in these people (hoping, fearing, laughing crying) and although the end is satisfying I never feel like saying goodbye.
I was with Keldon on every step of his journey an
ItsAboutTheBook
Feb 15, 2015 ItsAboutTheBook rated it really liked it
Shelves: faye
Review can be read at It's About The Book

Keldon Thurman’s self esteem is in the basement. He’s made a lot of mistakes in life, including prostitution, and he’s reached a point where his levels of disgust with himself are peaking. It doesn’t help that his current job is to collect 15 pieces of “art” painted by a convicted serial-killer for his mysterious benefactress. It only adds to his disgust that Keldon knows he’s incredibly good at emotionally manipulating the people from whom he’s taske
Love Bytes Reviews
Jul 30, 2014 Love Bytes Reviews rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS
Reviewed by Vicki

I have read a LOT of books, and I love it when an author comes up with a truly unique plot. Especially with a contemporary story, there are so many out there that it’s hard to be different. This one was wonderfully unique! I can honestly say I have never read a book about a man hired to acquire art painted by a serial killer. I was a little squeamish when I read the description, but I wanted to try a book written by Edmond Manning, and this one was just coming out so…..
The Novel Approach Reviews
Aug 11, 2014 The Novel Approach Reviews rated it it was amazing
“You go through life, and disappointments come your way. Death. Dreams that never come true. You acquire a little filth. You lose a little of your dreams. You get obsessed with money or status, or a raise. Filthy acquisitions.”

Keldon Thurman has acquired quite a heaping of filth over the years. Young yet beaten down and wounded in many ways, he now pursues the artistic remnants of a horrific murderer who continues to prey upon the innocent even beyond the grave. Serial murderer James Merrick pro
Jaycee Edward
Aug 11, 2014 Jaycee Edward rated it really liked it
After falling head-over-heels in love with King Perry and King Mai (the two books that will probably keep me from ever giving any other book five stars) and… okay… everything else Edmond Manning has ever written or posted online anywhere, it was a no-brainer for me to pick-up Filthy Acquisitions. This book is a little more along the lines of a typical M/M romance than Edmond’s other works, but it still has his trademark…um… whatever-it-is that makes his writing so special. I don’t really know ...more
Ulysses Dietz
Sep 06, 2014 Ulysses Dietz rated it really liked it

By Edmond Manning

Four stars

In “Filthy Acquisitions” Edmond Manning steps away from the majestic existentialism of his Lost King series and a bit closer to the earth-bound precincts of gay romance.

But not really. When I started reading, I kept forgetting who I was reading, and then would suddenly be brought back to awareness by some phrase or expression that echoed the visuals and linguistic turns of the Lost Kings. “Ah, that’s Edmond.”

And, while it is almost a conventional ga
Joyfully Jay
Aug 21, 2014 Joyfully Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

So right from the start, one of the things I really enjoyed about Filthy Acquisitions is the really unique storyline. To start with we have this guy whose job it is to buy up art painted by a serial killer. We know why Keldon takes the job — he is desperate for money — but we don’t know why his boss Catherine Maggiarra wants the art. In fact, Keldon doesn’t know either. One of the criteria of his job is to ask no questions. So here he is, buying these paintings, a
Katie
This was a bit different from the Manning I learned of and adore in The Lost and Founds series (hereafter TLAF because I'm typing on my Kindle screen and it's slow going). This was, and wasn't what I expected.

It was because it was a unique story (serial-killer art! Holy wow!). It was a morality tale of self-actualization and self-efficacy. Manning excels at that shiz like nobody's business.

It wasn't because I missed the humor and the unexpected twists and turns that Manning delivers so effortles
April
Dec 06, 2014 April rated it really liked it
Keldon finds himself doing a job he hates, acting for his employer as a buyer of paintings by a deceased serial killer. That's part of the mystery and suspense--what is up with the job and his employer, and will Keldon be able to finish it and successfully gain enough money so he isn't starving and can figure out how to better his life and prospects, so he doesn't have to resort to jobs he hates.

He's also trying to find himself, after a past of trying to please others and again, following the lu
Aerin
Mar 23, 2015 Aerin rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, dnf

This is the first book by this author for me, and I didn't like it. It seems like it's one of those cases where everyone liked it but me. It was so freaking formal and impersonal, I didn't even get any chemistry between Keldon and Josh. And the plot started off as intriguing but ended up becoming boring and I lost focus.

Kim W
Dec 04, 2014 Kim W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won, read-in-2014
4.5 Stars rounded up.

This story was really interesting and I just had to know why Keldon was collecting the serial killer art. That story line was fascinating and Keldon was fascinating. I highly recommend the story. I deducted half a star because I wasn't crazy about Josh and I'm not convinced their relationship was going to last but I did really enjoy the book.
Jax
Jax rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Elisa Rolle
Dec 06, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
2014 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Erika
Aniko
Jun 25, 2015 Aniko rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
MsMiz (Tina)
MsMiz (Tina) rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
The Backlot Gay B...: Filthy Acquisitions by Edmond Manning 1 16 Sep 06, 2014 05:08AM
Edmond Manning has always been fascinated by fiction: how ordinary words could be sculpted into heartfelt emotions, how heartfelt emotions could leave an imprint inside you stronger than the real world. Mr. Manning never felt worthy to seek publication until recently, when he accidentally stumbled into his own writer’s voice that fit perfectly, like his favorite skull-print, fuzzy jammies. He ...more
More about Edmond Manning...