Start by marking “Splintered (Splintered #1)” as Want to Read:
Splintered  (Splintered #1)

Splintered (Splintered #1)

A string of murders targeting effeminate gay men has the GLBTQ community of Chicago on alert, but budget cuts have left many precincts understaffed and overworked. Not to mention, homophobia is alive and well within the law enforcement community and little has been done to solve the mystery. When the FBI calls in Special Agent Todd Hutchinson and his team, the locals are ...more
Published October 6th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published October 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Splintered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Splintered

Ingela
Written June 7, 2015

3.3 Stars - Pretty good crime story but too little romance-feeling

M/M crime ~ 7 hours audiobook narrated by Rusty Topsfield. My first by this narrator but my third by the writer (I really appreciated Plan B (4.5 stars))

photo image.jpg1_zpscbsasq1c.jpg

Good enough if you like crime / thriller stories and don't need much romance in your books. Well narrated and all in all enjoying with some very funny moments between these FBI agents with jokes and banters.

*********************************************

Some ga
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
If you're in the mood for a thriller/crime novel, you'll love this one, because Splintered is all about the mystery, with the romance playing second fiddle.

A serial killer is on the loose; effeminate gay men are his victims. FBI Special Agent Todd Hutchinson (Hutch) and his crew are called in to investigate and hunt down the killer. Hutch originally focuses on Noah, who's working on his doctorate in psychology, as a suspect, until he realizes that Noah may be the next victim.

The scenes with Hu
John Inman
May 13, 2015 John Inman rated it it was amazing
SPLINTERED by SJD Peterson is a heart-stopping thriller. The plot is sound, the characters fascinating, the crimes horrendous and bloody, and SJD Peterson's way with words is exceptional. She's so good! The slow buildup to romance between the main characters, FBI's Special Agent Todd Hutchinson, and forensic psychology student Noah Walker, is sexy and believable and sweet. I loved those two men. And when they really came together I loved them even more. If you enjoy excitement on the pages you ...more
Heidi
Jul 28, 2015 Heidi rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
You get so far into a book and decide Stuff It! I'm so close to the end I'll just stick it out. Then, when it's all over it's like......
Pianka *call me PIU*
Splintered by SJD Peterson is a crime thriller about the chase to catch a sadistic serial killer whose victims are gay men. There is suspense, mystery and a hell of an awesome team of investigators. It was creepy and dark with a lot of blood and death.

Special agent Todd Hutchinson or Hutch is leading an investigation on a serial killer running rampant. Already 18 men are dead and Hutch is running out of time before the next killing. The local authorities have all done a piss poor job to do catch
Tina
Oct 07, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing
What a book! Jo has outdone herself with this one! Can't wait for the follow-up!
Christy Duke
May 31, 2016 Christy Duke rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars ~ Ah, Jo, I've missed you. It feels like forever since I've had a new release from you, and, frankly, it's been hard. I've been in agony and torment, day after day, pining away for your writing. *grins* Okay, maybe not that bad, but I've missed you. So, you can imagine my reaction when I heard about 'Splintered', book one in a series by the same name. There was squealing, Jo. Squealing, I tell you. Because not only was I getting a new SJD Peterson book, but it's a serial killer murder ...more
Linda Strong
May 25, 2016 Linda Strong rated it really liked it
Chicago has a serial killer on the loose. He somehow abducts young gay men ..and days later the victims' bodies are found .... they've been brutally tortured and then murdered. By the time one police department contacts the FBI, there have been a total of 18 victims spread out among many jurisdictions.

Special Agent Todd Hutchinson (Hutch), and his team members, Granite, and Byte start investigating and find that there isn't much interest in law enforcement in finding the culprit. After all, thes
Bev
4 stars for me. The murder mystery and the characterisations were wonderful, and Jo's writing was clean and crisp (which is my usual experience with her stories) BUT I desperately needed some hotness/sweetness from Hutch and Noah before the 80% mark, to take my mind off the gruesome nastiness going on in the background...and believe me readers, it was truly nasty!!

I would love to think that I'll meet these guys again though, cos they were perfect for each other, and now, knowing that Byte is bi
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧ •°**★Camelot Dreamer❧ •°**★

I was going to give this 4 Stars because the mystery is so good...but, I just can't because this book was STILL hard to finish, because of the romance...or lack there of.

I am a romance reader 1st and formost. And sadley this is not a romance.

Hutch and Noah...:-(....

Hutch was adorable, but, gosh, he needs to stop smoking so much! That added part was just gross, and when I think about him cuddling and/or kissing anybody, well.... just yuk.

Noah, was adorable too, along with mind boggling perfectio
Sandra
This was an enjoyable read, and a good audio book as well. I could have used a bit more variety between the voices. Hutch (the sexy but grizzled cop), Byte (the GQ hacker), and Granite (the Goth geo-something specialist) all had uber deep and raspy Dom voice. So that fell a bit flat. But otherwise he had good emoting and tone throughout, and I'd recommend it as an easy listen.

Now the book itself. As I said, an enjoyable read. I had some vague suspicions as to possible villain that I think the Fe
The Novel Approach Reviews
4.5 Stars ~ Splintered is a very good, serial murder mystery, a little gory, focusing on religion and homophobia. The story is suspenseful and has just the right amount of humor to cut the tension. Investigative techniques, profiling skills and getting inside the killer’s mind lend to a well written plot by SJD Peterson.

Todd “Hutch” Hutchinson is an FBI special agent: professional, hard around the edges, and a profiler extraordinaire. When Hutch starts to revisit the crime scenes and makes a con
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

4.5 Stars

Things are not good for the gay community in Chicago. Effeminate gay men are being snatched off the streets, they are being tortured and killed and dumped around the city and the lax and homophobic attitude of the police force has meant the killer is still out there committing crimes. Only when the FBI are called in does it become apparent just how serious the problem is. There are 18 deaths and counting and absolutely no leads.

When Agent Todd Hutchinson
*Lynn*

Here's a story that you will either enjoy or dislike. I am somewhere in the middle of that.

I don't have any emotions when it comes to liking or not liking these characters because you don't really get to know them. This is the type of story where there isn't very much character development if any at all. We are just thrown into the middle of an investigation of a serial killer with no character background. Did this bother me? Honestly, I'm not sure it did since I ended up not caring for any of
Christy Duke
Sep 16, 2016 Christy Duke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, m-m
CrabbyPatty
Marv Sin City While the main premise of Splintered is compelling, I felt there was too much flotsam that got in the way of the story. As I started reading, Marv from Quentin Tarrantino's Sin City immediately came to mind as the embodiment of Special Agent Todd Hutchinson ("Hutch") - clenched jaw, mad at the world, "fucking seething" from scene to scene. The rest of his elite FBI team are stereotypes as well - Hutch's wise-cracking best friend and associate Granite ("he looked like the poster child for the Go ...more
Ulysses Dietz
Sep 16, 2016 Ulysses Dietz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Splintered (Hunting Evil: Book One)
By SJD Peterson
DSP Publications, 2016
Cover by Reese Dante
Four stars

A good, edgy, page-turning read, “Splintered” is the first in a series that, I assume, stars FBI profiler Todd Hutchinson (Hutch) and his team, Granite (Travis Green) and Byte (Andrew Caswell). Our guys have been flown to Chicago when the seemingly random discovery of a mutilated body in an isolated woodland appears to link up to as many as seventeen similar killings scattered over a wide area a
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
Jul 30, 2015 Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I originally wanted to get this book on release day, but the release was pushed back and I forgot about it. Then I saw it in the new releases on audible, recently, and couldn't resist getting it.

Before discovering the M/M genre, I usually read Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Paranormal and most of all Thrillers and Mystery Novels.

I love finding great examples of those sub genres in M/M and it was wonderful to discover how well SJD Peterson did with this mystery thriller. It had me on the edge of my se
K
Mar 23, 2015 K rated it really liked it
Definitely more psychological thriller than romance. FBI agent 'Hutch' and his goth partner are part of a taskforce with local law enforcement to find a killer targeting young effeminate gay men who are subjected to torture before being killed and mutilated. Noah is a Phd student in criminal psychology who comes to Hutch's attention at the crime scene. Initially a suspect he soon becomes a potential victim and agrees to be bait for the killer. There is a relationship starting between Noah and ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I really enjoyed this audiobook. Rusty Topsfield did a great job with the narration, providing a nice variety of voices for the MCs and secondary characters.

It's not so much a love story as it is an action/suspense/adventure with a lot of gory details, but the suspense was terrific, the murderer was not who I thought it was, and the promise of a HEA was perfect.
~RMG
Oct 07, 2014 ~RMG rated it liked it
3.5 stars - Really enjoyed this one. I thought all of the characters were great and the profiling and tracking of the serial killer intriguing. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing Hutch and Noah's story continue in another book.
Ambre
Jul 21, 2015 Ambre rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-fiction
So this is a book by a good writer, patterned after both a highly successful crime drama (it kind of reads like Criminal Minds fanfic) and a highly popular m/m romance series (it takes a lot of cues from the Cut & Run series). Why didn't I love it?

A few basic reasons.

1) Failures of understanding. Romance authors are constantly working outside their comfort zones and to do this, they generally do some amount of research and try to be vague enough so that everything sounds basically plausible.
Love Bytes Reviews
Oct 09, 2014 Love Bytes Reviews rated it really liked it
4 star review by Cindy

Todd Hutchinson (Hutch) is an angry man when we first meet him. He’s an FBI agent who takes every single case he works personally and the killer who is targeting young, gay men hits a little too close to home. When he realizes how much bigger the horror is and the fact the law enforcement has been deliberately ignoring it, you end up feeling that his anger is more than justified.

Noah Walker is a young man whose obsession with serial killers stems from his traumatic childhoo
Lonestar Mama
Oct 12, 2014 Lonestar Mama rated it it was ok
Cheryl

Splintered by S.D.J. Peterson

This is first book I have read by this author, but it will not be my last. I loved everything about this book, I’m a sucker for a hot alpha FBI! The book flow was awesome, but the criminology was off the charts! Todd “Hutch” Hutchinson pulled me in from the first page and would not let me loose.

But lets talk about Travis “Granite” Green, this was my favorite character I have to say. Card carrying member of “The Goth Nation” he kept me snickering everytime he opened
Awilk -never sleeps-
S J D Peterson blows my mind with the wonderful diversity of her story telling talent. Not an author who only writes one type of story, this amazingly talented author writes about a wide range of topics, and she does them all very well.
Being a confessed fan of this author, I have to admit that she even surprised me with how much I loved this book. A gripping tale about a serial killer, and the men who catch them, was so well done that I ended up reading this from beginning to end without a break
Jon
Jul 12, 2016 Jon rated it really liked it
SPLINTERED by SJD Peterson is a solid, perfectly paced gay FBI thriller - with a romantic sub-plot. One of the best gay FBI mystery/thrillers I've read to date; highly recommended. The slow buildup to a romance between the main characters, FBI's Special Agent Todd Hutchinson, and forensic psychology student Noah Walker, is a welcomed extra with just enough to get you invested in these guys, but not too much to overshadow the main plot of tracking down a vicious and brutal serial killer of gay ...more
Ryan Loveless
Apr 11, 2015 Ryan Loveless rated it really liked it
Cindra
Serial killer murder mystery story where the two MCs fall for one another. Pretty standard plot line, but a bit light on the romance and with a fairly low heat factor. Worthy of 3.5 stars on the merits of two very interesting secondary characters whose snarky sense of humor and intelligence made for an entertaining read. Have been on an SJD Peterson kick lately, and have enjoyed the diversity of this author's books.
Yvette
3.75 stars. This book was intense for an S.J.D. Peterson book. I have not read a book from her that was this heavy. The plot I loved, really loved but I was missing out on the sex that she normally puts in her book. If I was her I can maybe two more book from this if she wanted to write it as series. But you never know with writers.
The Backlot Gay B...: Splintered, by SJD Peterson (Hunting Evil, #1) 1 3 Sep 05, 2016 06:35AM
Dreamspinner Press: Splintered by SJD Peterson 1 5 Oct 25, 2014 02:59AM
  • High Concept
  • Slasherazzi
  • Laurel Heights 2 (Laurel Heights, #2)
  • Fair Play (All's Fair, #2)
  • Home the Hard Way
  • Love and Punishment
  • Sunset Lake
  • The Broken Road Cafe (The Broken Road Cafe #1)
  • Inferno
  • Secrets (The Full Nelson #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • To Catch A Fox (Fox Mysteries, #1)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Vanished (Vanished #1)
  • Murder on the Mountain
  • The Best Corpse for the Job (Lindenshaw Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder and Mayhem (Murder and Mayhem, #1)
  • Three Nick Nowak Mysteries (Boystown #1)
It's been an amazing journey since DSP first contracted Lorcan's Desire in January 2011. I've published 2 free reads with the M/M Romance group, my back list is growing, met some great people and have made some amazing friends.
I'm still in shock that I'm listed among the many talented authors at Dreamspinner Press! The little voice in the back of my head is screaming, "You are so out of your leagu
More about S.J.D. Peterson...