Start by marking “Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)

Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  1,755 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
When heartache and loss invade Karen Pierce's carefully ordered world, she is devastated. Her plans and dreams for the future seem distant and unattainable, and she is bound by a promise to care for two young adults who are struggling with a loss of their own. Continuing their journey north to the goldfields seems their only option, and Adrik Ivanov agrees to be their guid ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Bethany House Publishers (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ashes and Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashes and Ice

Donna
This is Christian historical fiction. There was a lot of scripture quoted in this. That usually isn't a bad thing, except when the author doesn't trust the reader to "get it". That is when it becomes annoying. So the author creates marital discord, and then illustrates it with a scripture, then just in case you aren't capable of putting a 2 piece puzzle together, she steps in and explains it. Ugh. Once I could look past that, I was able to get a feel for the characters and the story line (both o ...more
terry stuardg
Mar 20, 2017 terry stuardg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book

Loving this series of books. Great writing and excellent storylines. Interesting characters and history. Amazing drive folks had chasing dreams.
Kathryn
Nov 17, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Melodee
Jun 23, 2015 Melodee rated it really liked it
This second book picks up 3 months after the first ended. We find that even though the first book had a "happy ending", they are not living "happily ever after". The first book was about meeting the characters, and their varied journeys to Alaska. This book is all about how their environments test their faith. I found it to be very realistic, and appreciated how even the strongest in faith has their own personal trial, and how we need to help one another to survive both physically and spirituall ...more
Mom
May 20, 2016 Mom rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
I liked this book better than the first. I was skeptical at first; reading the first third of the book felt like I was living a nightmare--not because the book itself was bad, but the story was depressing. The author did tend to rehash and repeat the pain the characters were feeling and going through. I almost wanted to cut my losses by the end of the first third because I was becoming depressed myself from reading it. But I'm glad I stuck it out because the story became more interesting for the ...more
Meghan
Sep 20, 2016 Meghan rated it it was ok
Tara
Sep 18, 2008 Tara rated it liked it
I really liked this book, more so then the first book. I wasn't planning on reading the 3rd book but ended up running out and getting it. These books are very Christian based; they really opened my eyes to the protestant way of thinking, in a good way. I always thought of their whole idea of being saved was a cop-out but this changed my mind. Also the love stories were really good, I love that wearing your hair down and showing your ankles was considered immodest! Oh, what would it be like if we ...more
Candace
I have mixed feelings. Initially everyone except Adrik annoyed me and then he became somewhat annoying because he didn't seem to know how to let people grieve without preaching to them. Eventually I became interested in what happened to the characters but it took a quarter of the book. I like the author's other work but this was too dramatic for me. I felt like I was reading a soap opera with Christian characters so everyone eventually comes back to God. I completely understand that the struggle ...more
Trudy E
Mar 11, 2014 Trudy E rated it really liked it
While the first book mostly revolves around Grace, the second volume centers on Karen. Devastated by tragedy and questioning her faith in God, Karen misses Grace terribly and finds herself embittered and wanting revenge. When nothing is left to hold her in Dyea, she heads further into Yukon Territory with the able assistance of Adrik. Not knowing what trials they will face on the journey, Karen must use the time to decide whether she will allow her heart to soften toward God and the man who sure ...more
Ebookwormy1
Nov 06, 2009 Ebookwormy1 rated it it was ok
This light romantic read will be satisfying to those looking for nothing more. However, my feeling was that Peterson manages to kill a promising plot full of situations worth exploring through clunky, preachy dialogue and equally poor character development. This said, the plot points are such that i will probably read the last book of the series, skimming the dialogue and filling in the characters with my own imagination... which is likely to be enough of this author for me.
Rebekah Tooley
Dec 03, 2015 Rebekah Tooley rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! While I enjoy clean romance I thought that a few of the kisses between Karen and (spoilers removed) were a bit to detailed for my likings. In the end I was happy that Karen and (spoilers removed) got married.

I'm glad I found out about Jacob and I absolutely have to read the next book to find out what happens with Bill, Peter, and Martin!!!
Ginger
I loved this entire series, which is very well written from a Christian perspective. It gives a very real sense of the time period (late 1800's) during the wild times of the Yukon gold rush, with very insightful perspectives on life in general. I will definitely seek out this author in the future.
Melissa
This story is centered on Karen, the former teacher of Grace from the first book. There are many adventures in this book, and therefore I wanted to find out the ending, but there was much kissing and emotionality, so I half wondered why I was reading it. Because of these romantic portions, the Christian aspect seemed rather shallow and unreal in the characters' lives.
janet barnett
Mar 04, 2014 janet barnett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting read, amazingly down-to-earth believable characters.

Exciting read, amazingly down-to-earth believable characters.

I enjoy a good book where no matter how bad the characters are portrayed, one doesn't have to deal with crass and vulgar language. Thank you Tracie. I would recommend this book for ages teen to twilight....
Brooke
Mar 31, 2008 Brooke rated it really liked it
This is the second book in this series and picks up very shortly after the first book left off. I tore through this book as quickly as I did the first one. The author carefully brings the characters back and adds a few new ones. She does such a great job describing life in the Yukon that I felt like I could truly picture what it was like. I highly recommend this book!
Kathy
Nov 28, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part 2

This second novel in the YUKON QUEST series continues with Karen dealing with the loss of loved ones and Grace and Peter stuggling. Martin Paxton is still causing trouble. I love learning about the wild Alaskan wilderness. Looking forward to the conclusion.
Delaine
May 28, 2013 Delaine rated it really liked it
Tracie is a great author and most of her series that I have read are hard to put down. They are so good. What I love about them also is they are based on Christian beliefs. Truly a great enjoyable read.
Annalise
Oct 12, 2007 Annalise rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Girls 14 and up
Shelves: historic-fiction
*Dances* this was a totally awesome book! I am going to beg my mom to take me to the library so I can get the next one!! :) it was really great. I read it in about 5 days. I GOTTA GET THE NEXT ONE!! :)
Gary David Reed
Good story.

Great story. A little verbose . Way too religious ! There was no indication of this prior to downloading. I was hoping that it would get less and less,it got more and more.
LaManda Watson
Wow! This book kept me on edge. Loved the story line (even though it was semi not even believable).
Patty
Dec 22, 2014 Patty rated it it was amazing
Very fast read. Left hanging so will have to read book 3 in the series to get the conclusions to several subplots. Enjoyed!
Betty
Sep 28, 2014 Betty rated it liked it
The second in the series of the Yukon Quest.
Kathy
Apr 28, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Book two in the Yukon series! Great mix of Alaskan history with a fictional story! Christian read! Clean!
Amy
Aug 06, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
not my favorite read by this author.
Shannon
This series is about three women envolved in the alaskan gold rush. It is about the greed of some people and how God effect the lives of others.
Lisa
Jan 19, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
A satisfying book 2 that drew me in even more. Actually brought tears to my eyes more than once. When I reached the end was very glad I had already downloaded book 3.
Debi
Jul 29, 2012 Debi rated it really liked it
The hardships the pioneers went through are fascinating....
Cws
Dec 04, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: young-adult
YA Pet
Allyson
Jun 28, 2008 Allyson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes romance, but read the first one first!
Recommended to Allyson by: my mother
Shelves: own-it, summer-09
good, but I like solid endings. 3rd book's better
  • A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
  • Pearl (Dakotah Treasures, #2)
  • Remembered (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #3)
  • Glory (Brides of the West, #4)
  • The Restitution (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #3)
  • The Tender Vine (The Diamond of the Rockies #3)
  • The Birthright (Song of Acadia, #3)
  • The Pursuit (The English Garden, #4)
  • Courting Trouble
  • Ashes of Remembrance (Galway Chronicles #3)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Yukon Quest (3 books)
  • Treasures of the North (Yukon Quest, #1)
  • Rivers of Gold (Yukon Quest, #3)

“now” 0 likes
“Words spoken in haste cannot be taken back. And while they may be forgiven, the memories will linger to warn the heart of future encounters.” 0 likes