Start by marking “Divide and Ride” as Want to Read:
Divide and Ride

Divide and Ride (MathStart: Level 3)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
These eleven friends quickly learn how to divide so they can fill up the seats on each ride. soon they are screaming on their way down Dare Devil Coaster and whirling around in the Twin-Spin Cars. Predivision skills are fun to learn at the carnival.
Published January 3rd 1997 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Divide and Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divide and Ride

Jodi Young
This book would be great practice with division. It introduces some terms like "left over" "divide" and "remainder". It also puts the math in a realistic setting (carnival/roller coasters). It's a great change from dividing food.
Gaby Roman
Oct 13, 2012 Gaby Roman rated it really liked it
This would be a great short story to read to my students when they are learning about odd and even numbers. I would even use this story to teach about division and remainders. An activity I would do my students would be to use manipulative as I was reading to represent the groups of people on the ride. If the groups aren't equal and we need a friend. Then I would discuss how this represents an odd number of people, or I would use this as an opportunity to show what a remainder is to my students. ...more
Christina
Jul 16, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it
This a book that helps teach kids about math. This book deals with division and includes activities for kids.

We were lucky enough to have our copy signed by the author, Stuart J. Murphy.
Dolly
Feb 12, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, math, 2012
This is a wonderful way to introduce the concept of division. Our oldest is just beginning to learn about division and remainders and so this book helps to solidify the lessons she is learning. And our youngest hasn't learned anything about division before, but still this book presents the information in such a way that she completely understood it. I love it! We've really enjoyed reading the books in the various Mathstart series by Stuart J. Murphy and we will certainly look for more at our loc ...more
Chanelle
Oct 13, 2012 Chanelle rated it really liked it
This book is great learning about remainders. There are a group of best friends that always go everywhere with one another. They decide to go to an amusement park. They notice that one of their friends doesn't have someone to ride with and they only can ride the ride unless all of the seats are filled. The children have to find a person to fill the spot. Throughout the book, it shows how they figure out them amount of seats and people they need to be able to ride all of the different rides. At t ...more
Hailey Dellinger
This is a great book for grade levels 2nd-4th grade to enhance knowledge on practical problems for division. I would use this to introduce division in a lesson. This also incorporates moral lessons like making new friends and resolving conflicts with math problems. This books helps you model ten frames, word problems, and division. This would be a great lesson to incorporate EVERYONE and do realistic problems of division by dividing the whole class with realistic word problems. The students coul ...more
Tasasha Battle
This book was so cute. It is about a group of children that goes to an amusement park. There are an uneven amount of children and most rides are two sweaters. So the children have to figure out how can everyone ride together in the same cart. They have to thing about dividing everyone and seeing if they need a partner to ride or not. In every instances more friends come that allows for everyone in the group to ride. The fun part comes when students have to figure how many new friends they need t ...more
Sophia Martin
Apr 15, 2013 Sophia Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Divide and Ride is a great book for introducing fractions. It goes through a class's day at the amusement park. That in itself captures students' attention. It not only gives the words behind dividing fractions, "We'll need to divide. 2 people fit in each seat," but it also gives a little picture in the corner (with stars) that shows how to divide 11 up by 5, with one friend left over. This, to me, will be great to use in the classroom as an intro to division because the book breaks division dow ...more
Oanh
Apr 14, 2013 Oanh rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This story would be great to read to kids because they can relate to it. Whether they've been to an amusement park or a fair, this story can show kids that they're "mathematicians" without even realizing it! A group of 11 friends have to figure out how to split themselves among the seats for each ride. This is a great way to introduce division with remainders and it can even be used to touch on even and odd numbers. I think this would make for a cute and exciting math station theme for students, ...more
Jenny
Jan 08, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
A great introduction to dividing with remainders...explained though a story of 11 kids riding different rides at a carnival. This book not only describes the abstract idea of diving through a relatable storyline , but also includes models of the math at the bottom of each page.
Whitney Bailey
Nov 03, 2012 Whitney Bailey rated it liked it
Shelves: math, division
This book would be great to read for upper elementary school grades who are trying to learn and use division processes.
The story tales of a group of friends who are at an amusement park and who join and invite new friends to ride rides with them in order to fit certain criteria.

This book is great for introducing:

Remainder -- extra friend, not enough bodies within the cart
Measurement
Division

Helps student solve for ways to allow the ride to start by placing people on the ride.
Jasmin Garcia
Apr 11, 2013 Jasmin Garcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
"Divide and Ride" is the story of a couple of best friends who go to the amusement park and have to make new friends along the way in order for all of them to ride all the rides. This book is great for teaching students about division, remainders, even, and odd numbers. The story is able to relate to students by creating real life situations where things like this could possibly happen. The students have to figure out how many new friends are needed in order for them to ride the park rides.
Jennifer Kim
Mar 20, 2013 Jennifer Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-3607
This is a great short story for students who are earning about division, remainders, even, and odd numbers. It is written in a way that incorporates these math concepts into possible real life situations. This story also touches on friendship because it is about a group of friends who go to an amusement park together. Throughout the book, the students in the story as well as the reader are faced with figuring out how many more friends are needed so that everybody is allowed to ridge the rides.
Shakita
Nov 06, 2012 Shakita rated it liked it
Shelves: math-books
Divide and ride is about equal grouping. The children have to put an equal amount on the rides in order to ride. They sometimes have friends left over or not enough friends so they have to call other kids to get on. This book can be used in the classroom and the children can act out the book as it is read aloud.They will see how they have to divide friends and how there will be a friend remaining (remainder) sometimes. This way, students can see the visual.
Megan
Apr 15, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book is about 11 best friends that go to an amusement park. They have to figure out the best way to split themselves up and ask other people to join so everyone is able to ride the rides. This book focuses on dividing and remainders, also even and odd numbers. I think this is a great book that a class could physically act out; have them line up the chairs like a rollercoaster and have them act out the problems in the book.
Salima Hart
Apr 14, 2013 Salima Hart rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about children at an amusement park that need to fill up seats correctly in order to ride the rides. I like this book because students can actually use models to show how many children will sit in each seat and have time to work out the problem before finding out the answer. This is a great way to introduce division in the classroom without the trouble of the traditional memorization of facts.
Katie Brown
This is a great book for division. A group of 11 friends go to to a carnival and have to divide themselves up for each ride. They are normally short by one person so they call over a kid they do not know. By the end of the story they can all ride on one ride and invite the other 3 children they had become friends with to fill up the ride. Each page shows the problem drawn out which is nice!
Seth Lebaron
Nov 30, 2012 Seth Lebaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
The book talks about divison and remanders. This book could be read before doing an activity where students need to fill in slot with objects, like an egg cartoon. You could say it is a train and you need to have two students per seat (egg slot). Find other objects and see what remanders the student can figure out, also work with them with sets of seats like 2, 3, 4.
Megan Piero
Apr 14, 2013 Megan Piero rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-ece-3607
This book can be read while students follow along and use manipulatives for a beginners lesson into division and remainders. It's provides a fun, real life example for when students might have to use division in their lives. Although this book was not written for this purpose, I also think this book could be used as a tool to teach students about even and odd numbers.
Zilha B.
Mar 23, 2013 Zilha B. rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This story is about a group of 11 friends who go on many rides, but they have to have enough people for each ride. These eleven friends have to learn how to divide and call on other people to help fill in the seats. This is a great story for students to learn about division and remainders. Each ride can represent a division problem that students have to solve.
Sarah Ziskend
models how to use:
1. Ten frames
2. Word problems
3. Division

Uses cute realistic word problems about being at a carnival to teach how to divide numbers. Also uses remainders, which was a big draw to the book for me. As a teacher of mathematics, i could use this to help teach a variety of math topics, more specifically ten frames, word problems, and division.
Rebecca Martin
Oct 09, 2012 Rebecca Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This is a good book to use for a math lesson on division (making equal groups). I would have the students use manipulatives as I read the book aloud. The students will use the manipulatives to work out the problems in the story. I would discuss what remainders are and ask them how many more they will need to make it equal.
Enasia Lee
This is a great book to teach about division. It is a fun way to teach this without being stressed out. It tells about real-life situations that the students can relate to. Students can use manipulatives as well as write the problem down as the story goes on. Also, it teaches about remainders, which some students struggle with.
Jasmine
Oct 11, 2012 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-shelf
This is a wonderful and amusing book to use when teaching students about division. This book actually has the division problems stated and the students can also tie that to the illustrations in the book. I would use this book and also have my students to do hands on activites while reading the book.
Amber
May 10, 2011 Amber rated it did not like it
Shelves: school, sy10-11, math
The kids thought this book was "totally lame." The storyline was too simplistic for it's intended audience of 3rd graders I think. I can see using these kinds of ride situations as real world examples but the book was basically a word problem with pictures. Not exactly and enjoyable read.
Jun 11, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: mathematics
Great way to show division and what remainders are. Could use this to introduce writing remainders as fractions. A little young for sixth grade, but could be used with lower level students.

6th Grade Common Core Standards: None

*Available at Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Libraries*
Caitrin
Nov 26, 2013 Caitrin rated it really liked it
This is a good book to read with your students when talking about division. It follows 11 friends on a trip to a carnival. Every time they go on a ride, the friends have to figure out to divide up to fill each seat while adding kids they don't know to fill the seats.
Denesha Allen
Dec 02, 2012 Denesha Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Good book to use as a read aloud. The book uses division in an amusement park theme. The division is simple and easy for 2nd and 3rd grade students to follow. Remainders are also introduced. A follow up activity could be implemented after reading the book.
Tiffany
Dec 02, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Remainders...what does that really mean? Well this book is awesome for teaching all about dividing things up and having things left over. The story is really cute; about kids going to an amusement park and everyone needing a partner to get on a ride.
Jazmyne Henry
Divide and Ride is such a good book because it is possible to not only use for Math class but also a social lesson.This book gives students the opportunity to think of the many different way to make groups and how to solve solutions when their is a problem.
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin
  • Zero the Hero
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart: Level 3 (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Ready, Set, Hop!
  • Too Many Kangaroo Things to Do!
  • Betcha! Estimating (Mathstart, Level 3)
  • The Penny Pot