Start by marking “M. F. K. Fisher among the Pots and Pans: Celebrating Her Kitchens” as Want to Read:
M. F. K. Fisher among the Pots and Pans: Celebrating Her Kitchens

M. F. K. Fisher among the Pots and Pans: Celebrating Her Kitchens ( California Studies in Food and Culture #22)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From her very first book, Serve It Forth, M.F.K. Fisher wrote about her ideal kitchen. In her subsequent publications, she revisited the many kitchens she had known and the foods she savored in them to express her ideas about the art of eating. M.F.K. Fisher among the Pots and Pans, interspersed with recipes and richly illustrated with original watercolors, is a retrospect ...more
Published July 3rd 2008 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about M. F. K. Fisher among the Pots and Pans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about M. F. K. Fisher among the Pots and Pans

Julia
This book is a biographical tribute to America’s greatest food writer, who grew up in nearby Whittier and Laguna Beach, spent her formative food years in France and Switzerland, and kept house during the second half of her life in Napa Valley.

Reardon wrote a longer biography in 2004; here, she’s decided to keep her touch light by documenting the different kitchens rented, remodeled or simply passed through by Fisher in her progress through three marriages, the birth of daughters legitimate and i
Stephanie
Whenever I read a book about or by M.F.K. Fisher I get a far off look in my eye and fantasize that I would actually cook food as part of my everyday life; that I would share meals with friends and even appreciate food by myself. For today it’s only a fantasy, but I can live the fantasy by reading about Mary Frances’ meager scrappy kitchens and the miracles she made in them. I like this kind of fantasy cooking much more than the unattainable creations photographed in the restaurant cooking books. ...more
Jmp
Pretty book. Nicely printed. Lovely illustrations. Not to my taste in writing.
Melanie
Dec 17, 2010 Melanie is currently reading it
This is an aesthetically beautiful book, and that certainly helps set the mood for the journey that Reardon takes you on through MFK Fisher's kitchens. Reardon has a found a way to make this biography intriguing and engaging, as well as extraordinarily clear. I have not read much of Fisher's work, amd to be introduced to it through Reardon's eyes and research has been both informative and pleasureable.
Ryan
Jan 14, 2011 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Quick read, but I wished there was much more detail and more of M.F.K.Fisher's writing included. The book felt more like an overview of a really interesting life - especially with the crazy jumps in location and relationships throughout her life - would have been better to know more about what she was thinking. Recipes included are great though (I can veganize about half of them).
Beth
For the hundredth anniversary of Fisher's birth, Reardon provides a pleasant biographical sketch based on the food writer's kitchens. Nice pictures and illustrations, but title is not meant to be a comprehensive biography.
Barb
Jul 02, 2008 Barb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gluttonous types lacking fancy kitchens.
Shelves: food, nf-essay-memoir
I devoured this book in about 1.5 days. Makes me want to read every single book M.F.K. Fisher ever wrote. Plus it makes me want to have a bottle of port always at the helm.
Jill
I thought this was a lovely retrospective of Fisher's life as it unfolded in Whittier, Dijon, LePaquis, Hemet and Napa California. Liked the drawings & recipes.
Brooke Everett
A bit stodgy at times, but overall a worthwhile read. Loved the gorgeous little illustrations of Mary Frances's kitchens and homes throughout the book, too.
Melissa
Nov 16, 2010 Melissa marked it as to-read
It seems a little incongruous to read M. F. K. Fisher while eating a Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich, but one can't be picky when one is starving!
Susanna
Just read MFK Fisher instead.
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
tnadna
tnadna is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2015
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Rsmith
Rsmith marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Gdwinc
Gdwinc marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Ana-maria
Ana-maria marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Mary Doheny
Mary Doheny marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Doris
Doris marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jan 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

California Studies in Food and Culture (1 - 10 of 49 books)
  • Dangerous Tastes: The Story of Spices
  • Eating Right in the Renaissance (California Studies in Food and Culture, 2)
  • Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health
  • Camembert: A  National Myth (California Studies in Food and Culture, 4)
  • Safe Food: Bacteria, Biotechnology, and Bioterrorism
  • Eating Apes (California Studies in Food and Culture, 6)
  • Revolution at the Table: The Transformation of the American Diet (California Studies in Food and Culture, 7)
  • Paradox of Plenty: A Social History of Eating in Modern America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 8)
  • Zinfandel: A History of a Grape and Its Wine
  • Tsukiji: The Fish Market at the Center of the World
As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto: Food, Friendship, and the Making of a Masterpiece Poet of the Appetites: The Lives and Loves of M.F.K. Fisher M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, and Alice Waters: Celebrating the Pleasures of the Table Oysters: A Culinary Celebration with 185 Recipes Poetry by American Women, 1900-1975: A Bibliography