Start by marking “Tomorrow to Be Brave: A Memoir of the Only Woman Ever to Serve in the French Foreign Legion” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  153 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
It was early spring 1942, and under the pitiless sky of the Libyan desert the climax of the great siege of Bir Hakeim was about to begin. General Koenig, the commander of the Free French and the Foreign Legion in North Africa, and his two thousand troops had been surrounded for fifteen days and nights by Rommel's Afrika Corps. Outnumbered ten to one, pounded by wave after ...more
Published June 14th 2001 by Free Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow to Be Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow to Be Brave

KOMET
This is a FANTASTIC and poignant memoir, one of the best that I've read for a long while.

When I first picked up this book and read its flyleaf, what it described seemed too incredible to be true. Susan Travers, born in England from a materially comfortable (albeit not affluent) background, with parents of Victorian sensibilities not well-matched for each other, went to live in France with them in the early 1920s. There, after finishing school, she learned to live life to the full, feeling more
Anna
Oct 24, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: apl, 2013
What an amazing lady. Susan Travers was (and has been) the only woman to (be allowed to) join the French Foreign Legion. A lot of people asked to write her memoir, but she chose to wait until she was over 90, and her husband and all previous lovers (that have their part in the memoir) were dead. She was on active duty during the WW II, but tells about her life also before the war.
War, fights (even though she wasn't on the frontline but a driver and sometimes a nurse), exotic locations (in war-t
Jim
The modern military member will probably be doing a lot of head-shaking while reading this autobiography. This is definitely not your typical war story as it is written by the only woman to enlist in the Foreign Legion. In this capacity, Ms Travers was not actually involved in combat except dodging the odd shell and, through blind luck, she managed to drive her General/lover through the encircling German armour at Bir Hakeim. For much of her time in Africa Travers lived in relative luxury as the ...more
Kay
Feb 26, 2010 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a book worth spending time and attention to for its unique historical value! I was gripped by the story of this lady's life, from her self confessed frivolity of the 1920's and 30s to her entrance into the war and the French Foreign legion. Her honesty in describing her life, love and war experiences is very obvious and the fact she waited until no one could be affected by this candid portrayal of her life shows dignity, tact and sensitivity.
Highly recommend reading this and finding
Ria
Oct 10, 2008 Ria rated it it was amazing
A totally absorbing and moving book, I read this in one read through until the early hours of the morning. Susan Travers left her privileged, somewhat frivolous life in Europe to join the Free French forces at the outbreak of World War II which she spent mostly in Africa. This book was educational, inspirational and a heartbreaking love story.
Carrie
Mar 10, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an amazing read. Susan Travers lived an amazing life, and the story is fascinating. It was a surprise that noted (and excellent) chick-lit author Wendy Holden was the co-author on this book, and the book was eminently readable and well-paced. This would be a great choice for a reader during women's history month.
Femke
Mar 10, 2011 Femke rated it liked it
Dit is zeker geen boek dat ik zelf zou kiezen in een bibliotheek of boekenwinkel. Maar wanneer enkel de beperkte selectie boeken beschikbaar is van mijn vader, dan grijp ik al snel naar de enige niet-thriller in heel de stapel. Een boek met vergeelde bladeren en een oude, gestoffeerde groene kaft, met op de eerste pagina de krullende lettertjes van de initialen van mijn grootvader. Op zich prikkelde dat genoeg mijn nieuwsgierigheid om dit boek open te slaan.

Normaal houd ik niet zo van biografieë
Jeanette
Aug 26, 2015 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Ingeborg Kooiman
Feb 21, 2016 Ingeborg Kooiman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
Een fascinerend boek, dat leest als een trein! Het is bijna niet te geloven dat dit geen fictie is maar waargebeurd.
Anna
May 07, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, truestories
I bought this book in Cheap Book Warehouse as I was looking for engaging story to read. As I'm a little bit interested in French Foreign Legion, I took it immediately. And I didn't reagret that.

Great story of a brave woman, who didn't fear anything. She served in one of the best and the toughest military formation in whole world. The ony woman that was enlisted as French Foreign Legion soldier and in a rank of officer. First legionaire that married a legionnaire and gave a birth to a child.
piet
Sep 18, 2015 piet rated it liked it
De bijzondere geschiedenis van een dappere vrouw die zich staande wist te houden in het Franse Vreemdelingenlegioen tijdens diverse acties in de tweede wereldoorlog. Onderhoudend geschreven.
Bruce
May 10, 2015 Bruce rated it it was amazing
As time passes it seems more works on women during World War Two are appearing. This is an exciting, easily read memoir by the only woman to become a member of the French Foreign Legion. Much of the book is about her time "attached" to the legion as an "ambulance" driver as the legion saw action in the Middle East and North Africa. She recounts her parts in some of the battles and in the resistance of and then breakout from Bir Hakeim.
Don
Apr 12, 2014 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best war-time biographies I've ever read. Words like awesome and incredible don't do it justice. What a remarkable woman! Edge of the seat action, heart rending romance, this book has it all and it is written in a very readable, candid, matter-of-fact style. To the memory of a very courageous lady, this story deserves to be made into a movie.
Mireille
Nov 04, 2012 Mireille rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! The book made me want to search up different items on internet and therefore so intresting and have learnt so much more about the French Legionnaires. Susan Travers, humor, brave,loyalty and what an adventurous life she has read. I can recomend this book to everyone! Anyone know if it has been filmed yet, there were plans.
Christine
Jun 13, 2011 Christine rated it did not like it
While I love most French books, this one was totally about the war she was in. I really don't need a blow by blow of every single battle she saw. I wanted a tad more on her life as well. What there was of that was depressing. I skimmed most of the book. Just couldn't hack it. Bleh.
Benedict Reid
Aug 11, 2011 Benedict Reid rated it liked it
An autobiography (you can sort of tell writings not her thing) but such an interesting story. There have been so many second war world accounts over the years, but along with "The one that got away", this is the most original. If only she could write with a bit of flare.
Hannah
Aug 10, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This is possibly the most amazing book I have ever read, once you pick it up you will not put it down! And you will read it over and over again! A phenomenol insight in the world of one women.
Amy Hoodock
May 22, 2014 Amy Hoodock rated it really liked it
Fascinating historical account of an upperclass British woman who grows up in France and works with the Free French in WWII and then joins the Foreign Legion after the war.
Lisa Vizcarra
Dec 06, 2009 Lisa Vizcarra rated it it was amazing
This is a very moving story. If you are tired of reading the same old stuff about WWII, then this book will make you think about the larger picture of War, life and love.
Ohyassi
Jan 07, 2013 Ohyassi rated it really liked it
This would make a fantastic movie, except no one will understand why she chooses the ugly angry general who treats her like a servant instead of handsome, dashing Amilakvara.
Amara Thornton
Sep 21, 2007 Amara Thornton rated it really liked it
a good read...an aristocratic young lady joins the french foreign legion and goes to north africa to fight rommel (or at least drive one of the men who fights rommel around).
Tracy
Sep 11, 2012 Tracy marked it as to-read
Shelves: escapism, nonfiction
I just read a BBC piece on this lady's life; it sounds like an epic adventure and I would like to read more. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/ma...
Betty
Feb 03, 2013 Betty rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-story
This was really interesting as I knew so little about the Second World War in North Africa. Names I had heard of such as El Alamein became far more real.
Nancy
Jul 13, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable true story about a brave Englishwoman caught up in the tank wars in the deserts of Africa in WWII.
Hulananni
Sep 27, 2009 Hulananni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: greatread
Almost difficult to believe this is non-fiction. Amazing story of love, war, passion, death. Great read.
Martin
Jan 02, 2009 Martin rated it it was amazing
great read, flows well,well written and looking at a personal account of this persons life.
Hillary
Jan 06, 2010 Hillary rated it liked it
Shelves: bio-memoir
A classic war adventure story! I found it a bit too detailed, though -- it was a slow read.
Mariska Woolderink
Apr 05, 2013 Mariska Woolderink rated it it was amazing
Love to read this book, a love story with a good inside of history.
Daren
Well written, fascinating story.
  • Serpent in Paradise
  • Eva Peron: A Biography
  • Three Came Home
  • Where We Have Hope: A Memoir of Zimbabwe
  • Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls: True Stories of Castaways and Other Survivors
  • Captain James Cook: A Biography
  • Shadows In The Jungle: The Alamo Scouts Behind Japanese Lines In World War II
  • In de mist van het schimmenrijk: Fragmenten uit het oorlogsdagboek van de student Karel R.
  • Alles om jullie heen is er nog: Het verhaal van een nabestaande
  • Evelyn: A True Story
  • Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow: The Dark Side of Extreme Adventure
  • Het zwijgen van Maria Zachea: een ware familiegeschiedenis
  • Spitfire Women Of World War II
  • The Natural History of the Rich: A Field Guide
Travers was born in Southern England, the daughter of a Royal Navy admiral, but grew up in the South of France, where she was a semi-professional tennis player, speaking French and English with equal facility.

Upon the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Travers joined the French Red Cross as a nurse, but later became an ambulance driver with the French Expeditionary Force in Finla
More about Susan Travers...